Why D&D change the iconic lines?

Okay, I'm not talking about plot here. I hate the show, but even I have to admit that not everything from the books would work in the show. Introducing both Victarion and Euron this late? A horrible idea.

I'm talking about scenes that they do put in the show, the ones they do adapt. Why did they change "Only Cat" to "your sister"? Why was the iconic Tower of Joy dialogue butchered? I've been waiting for years to hear "woe to the usurper if we had been", but now I can't. The most offensive change, however, is changing "Seastone Chair" to "Salt Throne". "Salt Throne" is a silly, stupid name. Salt Throne is something a suicidal ASOIAF fan sits on, when he spergs out about the show being horrible.

Why do D&D feel the need to butcher the quotes the book readers have been waiting to hear for years?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6o8BUlj6LEU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's "why do D&D change the iconic lines", retard.

Writers must think they're appealing to a wider audience by reducing the dialogue to a 4th grade level.

N A I L E D I T

Is this why Tyrion is joking about eunuchs for the entire season?

They said they changed "only Cat" because people wouldn't remember Catelyn being called that yet, in E8 Edmure refers to her as Cat. I honestly think they came to resent the books or some shit, same thing with "you always dissapoint kingslayer"

>Introducing both Victarion and Euron this late?
Victarion's cut completely

>Only Cat
Huh, who's Cat?

>Seastone Chair
Why do they give a fuck about furniture?
>Salt throne
Oh it's a royalty thing

>Tower of Joy
this shit is BORING, what's all this shit they're talking about?

Just imagine D&D have to sell the show to ten year olds, since they more or less do.

He clearly meant that books introduced them late, but it wouldn't work in the show. Which is why they only introduced one of them.

>"Only Cat" to "your sister"
Audiences might be confused as to who he meant by cat. As she had been dead for more than a season and that nickname was not commonly used for her. Remember people might not have seen every episode and there are a lot of characters far too many for the casual viewer to keep track of. Even if they don't know who Cat was, they'll understand what he meant by 'your sister'.

>Why was the iconic Tower of Joy dialogue butchered? I've been waiting for years to hear "woe to the usurper if we had been"
It doesn't fit with the common speaking style the show has adopted. It's the same reason they've dropped all the Georgisms like 'must needs', reading numbers like 26 as 'six and twenty' and 'nuncle'. It would just be confusing to viewers.

> "Seastone Chair" to "Salt Throne"
Audiences might be confused, the series is named Game of Thrones and they probably wanted all the seats of power to be known as Thrones.

>Throne is something a suicidal ASOIAF fan sits on, when he spergs out about the show being horrible.

You then.

Love how they changed it from "Jaime Lannister sends his regards" to just "The Lannisters". We know they're the Starks' enemies at this point-changing the line just removes the sting out of Cat's fuckup

no he meant the show hadn't introduced them by the start of this season by which time it was too late for both characters

If you're truly objective and not a book fanboy or a show pleb, you'll admit that Salt Throne does sound better than Seastone Chair for its parallel with the Iron Throne & for the same reason the show isn't called Game of Chairs.

They also changed "With a trebuchet" randomly to "with a catapult".

Would people be too dumb to know what a trebuchet is?

>guilty

Honestly sticking with 'Game of Thrones' as a replacement title for the series was a mistake.

They changed "Only Cat", because they assumed people wouldn't know who the fuck he was talking about.

not really, it speaks to the character and culture of the ironborn. it's a good touch imo

>I hate the show
>why did they change the dialogue
yes really, how can a TV show format be as same as a book format, unbelievable

Considering that 'Iron throne' refers to the seven kingdoms as a whole, putting calling it 'salt throne' makes it sound like the iron islands are actually really important

what I want to know is why it's a bad thing for people not to be immediately familiar with absolutely everything in the show. it just adds to the authenticity of the environment to have historically accurate language and behavior, which i enjoy more even if i dont understand every fantasy/history colloquialism

>Crownlands has the Iron Throne
>Iron Islands has the Salt Throne

Because D&D can't come up with good original plot lines.

They're afraid if alienating retards. We apparently live in a day where everything has to be understandable to everyone. If every ten year old can fully understand every word in your show, you probably need to step it up.

I find it kind of strange, to be honest. The book has scenes which would translate to TV really well with no effort from the makers. Just compare the two scenes in which Davos gives Stannis the Night Watch letter, making him sail north to defeat the Wildlings.

>Davos knelt. "If I have offended, take my head. I'll die as I lived, your loyal man. But hear me first. Hear me for the sake of the onions I brought you, and the fingers you took."
>Stannis slid Lightbringer from its scabbard. Its glow filled the chamber. "Say what you will, but say it quickly." The muscles in the king's neck stood out like cords.
>Davos fumbled inside his cloak and drew out the crinkled sheet of parchment. It seemed a thin and flimsy thing, yet it was all the shield he had. "A King's Hand should be able to read and write. Maester Pylos has been teaching me." He smoothed the letter flat upon his knee and began to read by the light of the magic sword.

And that's it. We don't even know which letter Davos has. We don't know whether he avoided execution, we don't know what Stannis is going to do. When his armies break the Wildlins north of the Wall, it is unexpected, which makes it all the more entertaining when the "Stannis! Stannis!" chant goes up.

In the show, we

>know from where and from who the letter is
>know Davos avoided his execution
>know Stannis and Melissandre are convinced
>know Stannis will go North to help Jon

And to top it all off, Melisandre has to read a sign from the fire to be convinced (bullshit), she has to convince Stannis, while Stannis appears cruel and arbitrary as well as under Melissandre's heel (more character butchery). And the scene ends on a strange, out of place stare-off between Meli and Davos.

youtube.com/watch?v=6o8BUlj6LEU

Just
fucking
shit

You don't have to hold up ASoIaF as some literary masterpiece to realize this is not only a shitty adaptation, it's simply shitty television. I'd expect it from a SyFy show, not a big HBO production.

Well this, sort of. DnD at least think it's like that when previous HBO shows haven proven that be wrong.

Don't forget they went to Braavos which didn't have any narrative consequences at all. Ah well they could the tits scene in the bath at least.

Edmure says "Don't talk about Cat" to Jaime this season there is no excuse except they love to change iconic lines

>this post

How's that salt throne working out for you, pal?

>You don't have to hold up ASoIaF as some literary masterpiece
Especially since the author wrote for television for decades.

Never pass up the opportunity for some BLACKED advertising.

>the Lannisters send their regards

Made me upset desu

>Why did they change "Only Cat" to "your sister"?
TV writers are taught to assume their audience is retarded. They can't expect them to remember who Cat was or that Lysa is her sister, so to keep people from going "wait, who?" they changed it.

I know, right? It's almost like they want MORE viewers or something. Weird.

It's because they don't want to be known as the people who adapted A Song of Ice and Fire, they want to be known as the creators of HBO's Game of Thrones.

Why is MC Ride in Game of Thrones?

didn't David Milch post a video reciting a pretty good monologue Ian Mcshane's character should have given in the show but was edited out for reasons that could only be considered dubious? D&D wouldn't know quality writing if it bit them in the ass and suck cock by choice.

It was more of a jab at society, not the show.