Is it just me or is the mixing really shitty on this album?

is it just me or is the mixing really shitty on this album?
I can't understand what the singer is saying half the time
I may or may not be rocking a $20 pair of earphones, but i could make out the lyrics on all the other albums just fine

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fzJjGEi3ENY&t=4m21s
youtube.com/watch?v=y8Vr53on5hs&t=1m39s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's just a shitty album in general. They've become too experimental, I think. (This coming from someone that found hidden gems among Hail to the King like Coming Home and Doing Time)

They're a shitty band, did you expect anything but shit from them?

Its shitty

its dookie

well I'm happy you've come to a conclusion
I can't even tell what the fuck I think of it in general because I can't get past the fact that Idk what the fuck the dude is saying
for all I know I might love this album but I just can't tell because the vocals are so fucking hard to make out

as far as a7x being too experimental that's what i liked about them. they were experimental as fuck in their self titled days, for me it all went downhill when their drummer died
he wasn't just a drummer he was a songwriter, and damn near every one of their singles was a song that he wrote
fuckin shame
i fuck with hail to the king though

y'all talking about the mixing?
I really want to know if I'm the only one who can't tell what he's saying but I can't tell if you guys are agreeing with me or saying the whole album sucks

Give ma a particular song and I'll check if it's just you

creating god

Standing in the shade of altruism is the first line
It does get a bit hard to hear after that

I don't know, Matt's voice has always been weird/hard to make out, but it is especially so in the verses here.

Also, Matt's voice is weaker than it used to be. Think he fucked it and had to get surgery on his vocal chords. It's hoarser and less powerful. And his accent/enunciation is weird

I hate how plastic this album sounds. That's from someone who really likes city of evil and the self-titled. This shit sounds so flat and emotionless

"The album was also praised for its dynamic range and mastering quality. Angry Metal-Fi called The Stage "the best sounding metal record of 2016", noting how Avenged Sevenfold managed to break free from the loudness war.[24]"

Interesting quote from Wikipedia
It doesn't sound fantastic but it doesn't sound like trash either

standing in the shade of altruism
handaring the call
came ama the messiah to save us all
sup abbody a the work of fiction
paladrogic brain
a world that's full of the anguish and suffering
can't the convictions, before you open the cage

never held a high regard for darwin
selection takes too long
a little kick in the pool shouldn't do us wrong
devouring a panel last invention
gave up at this point

I don't think I've ever had a problem making out the lyrics save for the screamy shit
the surgery was a long time ago, I don't think his voice is any different on this album, it seems to be the mixing to me

The vocals are the only weak thing on the album.

I like how your interpretation of the lyrics is like a bad google translate or some Indian guy trying to sing in English

I had a lot of misheard lyrics from City of Evil/Self-titled that once I actually read the lyrics I was like "yo wtf I've been wrong for years", but yeah it's never been -that- bad

I thought that hail to the king was a pile of doodoo for like a year, then I grew to accept it was a different avenged sevenfold and came around to it.
I'm not prepared to write this album off for the same reason, but god damn having to google the lyrics makes it a lot harder to come around

I don't even know what that means
who the hell praised this for mastering quality?
a7x editing their own wikipedia, everyone here agrees that it's shit

first album was shit
second album was GOAT
third album was great
fourth album was... ok
fifth album was good
sixth album was good (bit bland)
seventh album... eh, not a fan

yeah but that's a pretty impactful "only" when you're trying to make a concept album

>The production calculus here was quite simple: A7X explicitly wanted The Stage to sound as dynamic as possible without sacrificing a single ounce of its progressive glory. So they tasked two of the greatest living engineers, Bob Ludwig and Andy Wallace, to get the job done. And of course, these gentlemen delivered in spades. But even outside of this record’s obvious high caliber production pedigree, you have to give it up for A7X and their commitment to dynamics. First off, this isn’t their first dance with dynamic metal. Their last, 2013’s Hail to the King, was also quite dynamic, and really proved that you don’t have to be insanely loud to be commercially viable. In other words, The Stage’s high dynamic production wasn’t an accident. Secondly, as my interview with Mr. Ludwig revealed, A7X had several masters to choose from, one more compressed than the next since there was still some concern within the band that The Stagemight get lost in the playlist shuffle if it wasn’t mastered loud enough. But the band choose the most dynamic one anyway because ultimately they wanted to release the best sounding product regardless of any pseudo-industry volume requirement, and that takes guts! Finally, A7X have been very vocal about their disdain for the Loudness War and in my humble opinion, are currently serving as the de-facto evangelists for high-fidelity metal. These guys are really committed to the cause and with The Stage, it most certainly shows. If you are looking for the best sounding metal record of the year, this is it.

i like them all
to me nightmare was the weakest, self titled the strongest

>tfw roommate is obsessed with them
>multiple posters around our flat
>always playing their music
>The music is tolerable, but I CANNOT FUCKING STAND THE SINGERS VOICE

still don't know what it means.
if loudness means i would've been able to decipher the vocals then i'm all for it

Dynamic range is the difference between the quietest and loudest parts/moments in the mix, compression reduces dynamic range to make your mix Loud As Fuck All The Time to stand out amongst other Really Loud Songs on the radio

btw, yall
funny story
i used to hate ratatat af, was even ready to delete them from my library
decided i'd give them one last listen as a sayonara
Discovered that their first track on their first album sounded exactly like one of my favourite parts on the stage
and when I realized that, something in my brain clicked, and now i love ratatat
for reference:
youtube.com/watch?v=fzJjGEi3ENY&t=4m21s
youtube.com/watch?v=y8Vr53on5hs&t=1m39s

4:21 of the a7x track and 1:39 of the ratatat
if you're using embed you have to do it manually

yeah i thought it was something like that
i just don't get how they're saying they aced the mixing
dynamize all you want, turn the vocals up so i can hear the words at least

This. Shadows is done. Shame because Brooks Wackerman killed it on this album.