I wanna switch my laptop from win 10 to ubuntu or maybe linux mint. Gimmie the pros and cons. I'm a newbie developer

I wanna switch my laptop from win 10 to ubuntu or maybe linux mint. Gimmie the pros and cons. I'm a newbie developer

pros: Windows is shit, you will not regret, and since you think about it you will change one day anyway.
cons: you will have to spend time learning

consider openSUSE too

The latest mint distro is really good. Has a lot of good stuff preinstalled. I've used it for six months now and had no issues or troubles with the ui. I haven't tried Ubuntu in a long while but I didn't like the ui back then.

Been using Linux since I was 8, just upgraded to mint 18 and dear lord I don't understand how people can use Windows with out becoming an hero it's so fucking horrendous and limiting.

Pros: you will learn linux.

Cons: you won't have as good as a programming environment as you do with windows.

just install linux on a separate hard drive or thumb drive and try it out.

You wifi card may not have the drivers support for it, and you might not be able to switch out your wifi card depending on the laptop.

If you're going to Linux, Ubuntu has more community support, but Debian is the rock in which Ubuntu is founded on. Really depends on what you want in an OS. If you're gonna micromanage shit, try Gentoo.

If your laptop has a GPU, I guess keep windows10 if you play games. But you can always partition your drive. The idea of a gaming laptop always seemed retarded to me, and it's weird the people are calling themselves gamers like it some badge of honor. And now there's a "true gamer" label for elitists that everything seems like one big joke. I'm trailing off. Just try whichever linux for a month and switch out for others.

Yea i'm doing this now

>you won't have as good as a programming environment as you do with windows
c# faggot detected, go home.

you called it. i like all the .net languages each have their place.

>I'm a newbie developer
For instance, what do you call a 'developer'?

meanwhile, the rest of the development world will stick with their native build tools for cross-platform coding.

What are the pros of .NET over something like flask or node?

Stick to Ubuntu/Mint/Debian. Any other distro will make you spend time on learning how to even make it work after some upgrades.

Pro: Depending on the distro, it's faster than Win 10.
Con:

Most of your hardware drivers will not be available.

If you need specific software for work, you might have a hard time with GNU/Linux.

I've never heard of a wifi card that doesn't work ootb with Linux

Buy a cheap ass Lenovo laptop.

OpenSUSE is the most underrated distro out there. It's like they retarded Arch's repository (Zypper), but made it more stable than Ubuntu.

If I may I highly recommend a distro that comes with GNOME. Ie. Ubuntu GNOME or Fedora. It's the best desktop environment by far. It's what Unity and most of the top DEs are based on

Try OpenSUSE. A tasty one, especially with KDE. But I used it with Gnome, still good.

Xamarin/Mono's gotten pretty good, actually. Probably not as good, but still not terrible.

personal preference, i would never bash on a language that someone likes to use. .net offers ease of use and really low level functions if you want to get into the nitty gritty. also a huge bonus is the online community, they are the most popular languages (with java) so you can always google a problem.

I switched to Ubuntu Mate a couple months ago. There is no looking back.

Pros: Everything works, better IDEs are available, plenty of free shit, a number of Steam games work

Cons: You're going to have to use wine to run any must have Windows applications, which can be a mixed bag. You may have to virtual desktop some things. Few games are available, but I don't really game all that much anymore anyway.

Gnome on OpenSUSE is quite good as well. I thought it would be significantly worse than the KDE version, but I haven't found any significant deficits.

pros: no 3 hour automatic updates every day anymore

con: 3 hours of researching how to use/repair your linux every day

>con: 3 hours of researching how to use/repair your linux every day

If you are researching for 3 hours per week you're doing Linux wrong. The first time I installed Linux it took me hours to get everything ready. An install takes ~20min with the limiting factor being the waiting to install and download everything.

everyone breaks linux. its a rite of passage bro.

Every week? That doesn't happen unless you're autistic.

i would have agreed with that a few months ago, but i've come to enjoy xfce moreso than gnome recently.

Ubuntu GNOME is buggy as fuck. Kubuntu and Xubuntu are way better

Plus it's long term support, so itll be around for a while

just do a dual boot. nothing to lose.

I don't trust Mint with the security issues they've had.

Ubuntu: Easy to use but really only 1 step away from windows in terms of bloat-ware

Mint: Also easy to use and can be a stepping stone towards Debian (a more stable and minimalistic OS)

You can also try Arch. It's a hard path if you don't know how to read/google. But if you aren't completely fucken retarded it's a great flavor.

I hear some people use fedora, outside work machines never see it. CentOS is better anyway.

SUSE is shit, fuck off nigger

>Cons: you won't have as good as a programming environment as you do with windows.
That might be the most retarded thing I've ever read, congrats.

This hasn't been a problem for me since like 2006. If you use a usb wireless dongle you may need to use ndiswrapper.
>If you're going to Linux, Ubuntu has more community support, but Debian is the rock in which Ubuntu is founded on. Really depends on what you want in an OS. If you're gonna micromanage shit, try Gentoo.
Super solid advice right there.
>If your laptop has a GPU, I guess keep windows10 if you play games
some games are great on linux now.

Realistically, I would say use mint for now. Then as you learn more explore debian and if you every decide to grow a neckbeard try keeping Gentoo running for about a year.

Avoid: Arch (sort of juts a circle jerk at this point), SUSE (did they ever make KDE Plasma not suck balls?), Ubuntu (It's moving towards a phone/tablet based OS).

>SUSE is shit, fuck off nigger

Fuck off, autist. OpenSUSE is a great distro that deserves more recognition than it gets.

Fuck you faggot, It's fine once you know what you're doing but their support is shit and their default DE is shit

I use mint 4.5/5

Ubuntu was developed by the nsa

I keep hearing that, games work on Linux and it's getting better. But I also hear another side of the coin saying developers have abandoned upgrades of any kind of software refinements to their games, since saying that they're games work on Linux is good for appeal on paper. What measures do developers take to ensure any upgrades to a game on Windows will also be applied on Linux? I'm more than willing to abandon Windows entirely, but versatility and gaming is something that appeals to me. Many times, I just want to plug an play, other times, I wish I could so something more advanced than what's available. I'm awkward.

>Super solid advice right there.

Really? At first I thought you were being sarcastic. It's hard taking a compliment here without the feeling of it being insulting. I'm dumb as nails even though people say or think I'm smart, so other people opinions about what I think is usually questionable for me.

I dual-boot Windows and Linux Mint. I use Mint most of the time, but have Windows for gaming.

Linux has been just as broken as windows lately as far as security. Better off with a unix kernel like osx

im using mint now its its nice better then ubuntu i would recommend mint any day of the week