/prog/ general

ITT: Talk about, discuss, share, review, and just enjoy some good prog

>another general
fuck off

prog is gud

Go back to Sup Forums to talk about music you faggots!

Phil Collins did nothing wrong blame Banks/Rutherford

Video games

but this is in case the mods wanna take down a fun thread

So what's the objectively best prog band from england?

probably pink floyd? if we're talking best in terms of quality. alot of prog bands hit their peak and crash after the 70s

King Crimson, followed closely by esperanto

more prog like this?

They didn't do anything wrong either.

>kinda made Hackett leave the band since they weren't really including him as much
>started to disregard their older albums and saying they were "too long" while Collins still loved them
>revived Genesis in the late 90s and made that shitty album
they're amazing musicians, but they did a lot wrong

Also interested.

Eh, I think that's a bit reductionist. I've heard differing accounts about who pushed the band in the pop direction, but at any rate it wasn't any one particular person. But then, I like pop Genesis as much as prog Genesis, so what do I know?

I don't mind what you like, Pop Genesis yielded some good songs. I just dislike the hate Collins got.

Oh definitely. Collins is a talented motherfucker, a gentleman, and severely underrated.

Pink Floyd also crashed after the 70s. The Final Cut and Momentary Lapse weren't good. Division Bell is also debatable.

I hear reports Final Cut was actually pretty good, just a Waters' solo album. Lapse of Reason isn't great, but Floyd's post-70s output isn't as shitty as say, Yes. I think the real dud is Lapse of Reason.

I'll always defend The Final Cut, though I understand the reasonable objections to it. And Division Bell is a slog as a whole, but it's got a few good tracks.

MLOR is pretty crap though.

thats why you just need to die before your music does

anyone got a good link to Dredg's Catch without arms? I bought the LP but it doesn't come with a download...

The Final Cut felt like the worst parts of The Wall stretched out to the length of a full LP. If we're comparing Yes and Pink Floyd, 90125 was better than anything Pink Floyd put out in the 80s.
I don't think Division Bell is a slog. There are songs I don't like but the album as a whole was pretty good.

Neither of them did, by the time Gabriel left prog had ceased to be progressive anyway. It had grown stale. They would never make anything as good as Supper's Ready anyway.

Yeah, that's extremely true. I give KC credit for quitting at their height (Red) to only come back with some excellent 80s albums.

Who here fucks w Hatfield and the North + National Health?

I recently thought of compiling a "lost" Genesis album with songs culled from late 70s solo material. I realize such a thing would never have happened historically, but as a challenge, what songs would fit an album of that sort? Some of my considerations:
>Which Way the Wind Blows
>God If I Saw Her Now
>Solsbury Hill
>Waters of Lethe
>Ace of Wands
>Star of Sirius

hackett's first solo album is mostly rejected genesis songs

I'm pretty sure Phil Collins is at least a little bit guilty of Genesis's pop sound (as well as Banks/Rutherford). IMO, Phil Collins's solo career was better than poppy Genesis.

It's still really good though

What's the best king crimson album?

red

Red. Discipline if you're a normie.

did i say it was bad [spoiler]motherfucker[/spoiler]

>tfw Sup Forums calls your favorite band shit

>:'(

So far good thread but remember rule number 1 of /prog/: no metal allowed.

As much as I love islands I don't think its that strong as an album. Its got a few fantastic tracks, but I just don't think most of it works together. At least in comparison to something like red.

Bump

Objectively? King Crimson, definitely.

I liked that album, anything similar?

Friendly reminder that prog would be thriving today if Hendrix didn't die so young.

Larks' Tongues In Aspic, Starless and Bible Black, Red ex aequo
also, The Night Watch

Prog couldn't have sustained itself even with Hendrix. It got bigger and more out there than could be commercially successful.

Any takers?

>no metal allowed
I'm sorry what

Objectively correct

AOTYSF