Zack Snyder's Watchmen

I recently discovered the film on Netflix and instantly ordered the comic book straight after. A couple days after, I received the comic book. A week and a bit later I just finished the comic book (did one Chapter a day).

I have to say, the comic book is an absolute masterpiece. The depth, the intricacy, the characters, it was an amazing ride. And, to be quite frank, the "inter-dimensional space alien" made WAY more sense than the film's ending.

So Sup Forums, what was your take on the movie? And if you are also a fan of the comic, which do you prefer?

I prefer the comic book, I adored the film when it came out and I was 18, but with time I have re discovered the comic book over and over again while subsequent watchings of the film left a worse impression.
It has some great parts, like the opening sequence and the funeral, but I feel like its take on the political climate and the psychology of its characters was rather shallow
Also I prefer the giant squid as well

Is it the directors cut on Netflix? If so, it's a great adaptation.

The theatrical release cuts out a lot of character plot, I believe, that you see in the comic. Personally, I think it goes Watchmen DX > Comic > Watchmen TC

Movie is shit, comic is GOAT, end of story.

i was a huge fucking fan of the comic and i was so hype for the movie
and when it came out i went and tried to make myself love it, and it seemed to do so much right, and i even convinced myself that the changed ending was somehow better
but really, it wasn't
it didn't get the tone at all, it was a shallow glossy replica

The movie ending is better.

I never saw the film. I saw a trailer for it and it looked like shit. I love the comic though.

Nite Owl, Silk Spectre and Ozymandias all felt very shallow and dull I'm the movie, however the comic book versions of all three are 10000x better imo.

Also, I think scenes such as Doc Manhattan's origins, Laurie realising the truth about the Comedian and Ozymandias' reveal were done way better with more impact than the film.

I was very similar to you - loved the film at first, then over time it got worse and worse.

You're not alone, Snyder fundamentally didn't understand the comic book. So much that even by making an almost 1:1 adaptation he still managed to fuck it up.

It doesn't make as much sense desu. I mean, wouldn't Russia still be pissed at the U.S because Doc Manhattan WAS a weapon of the U.S? yeah they wouldn't launch nukes at them, but it wouldn't end hostilities imo.

The movie kind of misses the point of the comic book.

On the one hand, Snyder made an almost word-for-word adaptation. On the other hand, the tone is completely different. Whereas Moore's superheroes are pathetic freaks, Zack made them cool. It exemplified this "I have issues, but they make me even edgier and cooler" trope. Instead of being a plump nerd wearing WTF the Costume, Nite Owl becomes Batman. Instead of contrasting the sheer camp looks and nature of the superheroes with Cold War reality, they are tailored to fit it and stay "cool".

Alan Moore never intended for the rise of edgy superheroes. His work was supposed to deconstruct the very possibility of superheroes somehow being "cool". Zack missed the point and took Rorschach literally.

The film is fucking awful. It shows that Zack Snyder didn't understand the original because there's a shit ton of lines and scenes that play out of context, which makes them completely meaningless in the film.

yeah it's fucking retarded, the whole movie is fucking awful. this fucking board was creaming it's gapkids jeans over the soundtrack which was just about the most embarrassing thing in the world.

>movie is a near perfect adaption of the material; a rarity in most adaptions
>changes made are largely for the better
>people still complain

>Snyder fundamentally didn't understand the comic book

Kek. This shit again.

>Snyder fundamentally didn't understand the comic book
Did he write it?

The comic makes even less sense since the "alien" only attacks America

"Dr. Manhattan" attacked every country

t. manchild

Every change from the source material in the movie is for the worse and Snyder is a literall retard. He's over 50 years old and still focuses on rule of cool.
When you think about most of capeshit are nu-male as fuck. Whedon, Snyder, those people are over 50 and still take making a movie based storybooks for children seriously. I have more respect for hacks who just do it for money.

OP here,

Nite Owl was the most mishandled in the movie. Doctor Manhattan and Rorschach were ALMOST how they should've been, that's a bonus at least.

Hell, he didn't even get the point behind the sex scene with Dan and Laure in Archie.

>decries edgy soundtrack
>inserts "fucking" in between every other word

Hahaha you're a fucking idiot

Yeah this always annoyed me. If the vagina alien thing had attack the USA, Russia, Britain and the Middle East, THEN I can get behind the nations banding together.

I can't see the Russians getting too annoyed about the Americans getting cucked by an alien. Dr Manhattan being the enemy makes a bit more sense, but still, it's an ending that's always bugged me as well. Even if they DID band together to fend of Dr Manhattan, what are they even going to do to a literal god?

it's not edgy. it's lame and uninspired.

A smart man shows his opponent why he is wrong, a fool throws insults.

The movie was an extremely faithful adaption, I watched it right after reading the comic for the first time recently. Besides the ending which was a rather unncessary change but resulted in the same idea (common enemy for humans).

Honestly to dislike one and like the other is just weird, and you're probably a retard if you do.

Dan could have been a bigger bitch. Ozymandias was unsympathetic completely.

but overall its great.

The HBO show in development will be even better quite honestly. I hope they change stuff up a bit since te movie was SO devoted to the comic. The material has plenty of flexibility

Holy shit, people really are this stupid. You really don't get the story, do you? Might as well stick to the movie, moron. More your tempo.

One of the single best lines i've ever read

>muh pyschic vision

Who cares? The alien is on American soil

If I was russian, I would wonder why the aliens wnated to destroy New York first and destroy America myself as a peace offering

See

It's the straight action film Snyder has ever made, I'll give him that. Dawn of the Dead 2003 is still the best thing he's done though.

The comic has a legacy that's hard to ignore when speaking of it. It's an amazing book that has an enthralling, timeless quality to it. It manages to be so much more than just a superhero story, too.

I think that Watchmen was more influential on the comic book industry than the movie was on film, but the movie was perfectly slick and had some nice soundtrack choices.

Only a fool argues with fools

Yes, but think about it --

Every other country saw the devastating effect the monster had on New York and there was a threat that more would come. It makes more for them to join in a united effort against an "alien force" than for them to suddenly have peace because many large cities were nuked by a man who was used as a U.S weapon.

>Can't explain his position
>Probably read the comic after watching the film and thinks he "gets" it

L M A O
M
A
O

Retarded, literally fucking retarded.

This. Also the reason why Bubastis was in the comic was to show that Ozymandias was capable of creating such creatures. And the squid was the reason why Comedian went batshit on the island.

>silk spectre will never abuse you

life is cruel

OP here -

Let's not devolve this into a pissing match. How about you back up your points instead of throwing around insults, okay?

>literally
You're literally using the word wrong you obnoxious fucking cunt.

So they have to recast everyone for the HBO show

Any suggestions?

>I think that Watchmen was more influential on the comic book industry than the movie was on film

No fucking shit. You might as well have said "I think that 2+2=4"

God, they fucked up Bubastis completely in the movie. He was just... There.

Isn't Bubastis in the film as well?

yes, for no reason

Pearlman would've been perfect for The Comedian.

Do you need it spelled out that Ozy created her..?

Speaking of Terry Gilliam's Watchmen -- has anyone heard of the ending he had planned for his version?

I will always love the comic. It's a masterpiece as far as comics go but it's a bit unfair to compare the comic to the film.

The film is an adaptation and no matter how close the adaptation may be, it's not a perfect copy. It's not really possible to cram all of the nuances in the 12 issues of Watchmen (plus the Black Freighter tie-in) in a 2.5 hr film.

Something is necessarily lost in the translation from one medium to the next.

The movie has to be viewed in that context and judged on its own merits.

Fuck every single Rorshach is just fucking spot on

Bubastis WAS in there for literally no reason at all in the film. Without "Giant Alien Squid" her presence meant nothing.

I read the whole script. It was a piece of shit.

yes, this shit again because it is fact. He made a straight forward superhero movie and ignored the entire point of the comic while glorifying all the violence. The point of the comic was that if superheroes existed they would be fundamentally fucked up people. Batman (either the comedian or rorschach) would be a sadist, he would enjoy hurting people and wouldn't think twice about ridding the world of them. Dr. Manhattan (superman) wouldn't give the slightest bit of a fuck about humans because he can see through all their bullshit and doesn't like what he sees. Wonder Woman (silk specter i and ii) would be vulnerable as a woman, she wouldn't be as strong as her peers and most likely would get raped or at least almost raped. Snyder even through an almost exact adaptation missed that point entirely.

>Jude Law's Ozy

>trying to explain it to dumb pieces of shit

Save yourself the trouble.

Dr. Manhattan attacking Moscow would make the Soviets think that the USA was behind the attack, no? They would launch the nukes immediately.

>please point out the most painfully obvious things to me because I am autistic

Kill yourself faggot

If the film came out on its own and there never was a Watchmen comic, it would be regarded much higher than it is now.

Exactly. Actually -- they probably wouldn't even check if it was Manhattan or not - they'd just start throwing nukes at America like monkeys throwing shit.

It would be borderline forgotten, white knights and infamy over it's cluelessness is all it has.

OP here--

> starts insulting people because of different opinions
> calls me the autist

kek

He attacked the US as well

How would the Russians even know that though? If my my capital was suddenly nuked during the height of hostilities with my rival country and I wouldn't check, I'd just launch my entire nuclear arsenal in retaliation.

The unfortunate thing about Watchmen is that it's very good and very dense. Since it came out there's been this thread of people reading Watchmen and misunderstanding it. The whole 90's "dark age" of comics was people reading Watchmen and thinking that the value was that they showed superheroes being asshole rapists, so suddenly everyone who wants to make a "mature" comic is heading out the door with their Rape Man pitch.

It's a legacy of dumb people just doing surface level readings of the work and Zack Snyder is one of those dumb people. He read Watchmen, skipped the boring parts, and added in some fight scenes. The ending is the most obvious problem but that just disguises the fact that the movie is just wrong from start to finish.

Make sure to pick up or download the recent Pax Americana, single issue of Multiversity in which Morrison puts his spin on the Watchmen universe, or more accurately the characters on which they're based. It's am amazing issue and more faithful or reverent to the original than Before Watchmen or, I imagine, their impending inclusion in the DCU.

Fucking retard who doesn't realize Dave Gibbons, who actually did the art of the fucking comic, said himself that Snyder understood everything about it.

>that last panel
This is when I knew I would cherish that book forever. Chills.

Anyone who thinks Snyder didn't understand the comic is confirmed to have not understood the comic.

Then Snyder didn't care. Even worse.

Even if he understood it he sure as hell didn't show it when he made the movie.

How retarded does one have to be to actually think that?

It's not a case of Snyder misunderstanding the book, I think it's more him wanting to make the ending appeal to a general audience who hasn't read the book.

I'm fine with both endings, I just think squid ending makes more sense.

- OP

I agree with you. Realistically if the Squid happened normies' brains would short circuit.
>durr wha!?

It's a shame really. I know Snyder gets a lot of flack, but he can direct action and destruction (just look at Man of Steel) and I bet the Squid teleporting in would've been a fucking cool spectacle on screen.

there's a HBO show in development?
poor alan

>Batman (either the comedian or rorschach) would be a sadist, he would enjoy hurting people and wouldn't think twice about ridding the world of them. Dr. Manhattan (superman) wouldn't give the slightest bit of a fuck about humans because he can see through all their bullshit and doesn't like what he sees. Wonder Woman (silk specter i and ii) would be vulnerable as a woman, she wouldn't be as strong as her peers and most likely would get raped or at least almost raped.
I don't get your point, these were all mentioned in the movie.

Wait - there's a HBO version coming out?

Wait a minute... There's a Home Box Office production along the way?

It's being done by Snyder. Maybe he wants to get it right this time?

Yeah, it would have looked absurd and amazing.

>you will never ever see Robin Williams' Rorschach

Someone please shoot me.

New York was hit first, idiot.

Okay, so now we've discussed Snyder's Watchmen, let's start something new:

If you were leading an adaptation for Watchmen,TV or film, what would you do?

It's just a rumor. Nothing will come of it.

Did you even watch the movie you fucking retard? New York was hit LAST.

streaming service all at once in however many parts, 10-12 hrs

This bait sucks. You're actually memeing that the retarded squid ending is muh superior kino ending? Kill yourselves. Just fucking kill yourselves.

For those of you who don't actually know, the book ending was a hackjob to replace the original ending that had plagiarism issues. The movie ending restored the original intended ending.

Seriously, though: fuck off with muh kino squid ending - it's really just pathetic.

Watch that shit again, nigga, and this time remember that what they show you happened 25 minutes before they showed it.

When you're unsure if b8 or not

But all the other clocks for all the other countries suggest that EVERY OTHER COUNTRY was hit before New York, including Moscow.

Literally not true.

It's not a meme. The squid was purposely absurd and alluded to the artifice of fictional pulp/action/comic media following the theme of the film.

Mentioned yes, but that was literally the whole point of the book. The point of the movie was his Retarded glorified action scenes that he shot the way he did exclusively "because I thought it looked cool".

When did I ever say the ending is what means he misunderstood it? I actually liked the new ending over the alien squid.

Try harder, samefag.

No, don't take this stuff so seriously buddy

>don't take this stuff so seriously buddy
irony, the post

Anyone who says the comic ending makes more sense, obviously, was too young to remember 9/11 or understand how real people think. People only band together against a common enemy once they've been fucked over, too.

Example, before England was protesting the US bombing Afghanistan and Iraq until they got attacked and they shut up. If just one place gets attacked people will, eventually, just forget and be like: 'Tough nuts for you, asshole.' If more places are attacked then people are more likely to band together. Even if it came from the US Dr. Manhattan attacked the US, too. It's not if they are going to go to war with each other if that blue threat is still out there.

Also, no one is going to, really, believe it was aliens. Even if an alien came down to Earth went on tv and said I'm an alien people would be working hard to debunk that shit so hard.

Wait, there was going to be a terry Gilliam watchmen movie, starring Kevin Costner as nite owl, Jamie lee Curtis as Silk Spectre, Gary Busey as comedian and Robin Williams as Rorschach.

What the fuck would that have looked like?

i loved the movie, i also loved the comic, but understand much like v for v that the comic itself wouldnt've been a good fit. so i understand and appreciate the changes that were made

i'll stand by 300 as being a decent movie, but watchmen being Hack's best

have you read the comic? if i recall correctly, psychic residue of the "attack" resonated worldwide. yeah, it's comic book logic and rather silly, but it was explained why the world would unite against the threat.

Did you miss the part of the movie where everyone but Dan and Jupiter were fucking insane?

Comedian is a sadistic asshole, Manhattan is almost completely inhuman by the end of the movie, Rorschach has totally lost his shit, he'll even Dan/Jupiter are pretty fucked up, neither of them have normal friends or a normal life and they are barely functional outside of their costumes, meanwhile oYmandias is a Machiavellian genocidal loon

Once again, they may have acted like that but that wasn't the entire point like it was supposed to be. That was the comics literal purpose, it was merely character traits in the movie.