How does it become the "most influential rock album of all time" if nobody even knew of it during its release?

How does it become the "most influential rock album of all time" if nobody even knew of it during its release?
Are people stupid?

>most influential rock album of all time

It's not

Rome wasn't built in a day

(You)

Influence doesn't need to happen immediately. What a stupid fucking question.

there are sometimes that I love this board
thank you for this kek you bless-ed faggot

It does you moron. Them what can it influence then? Jesus Christ i'm talking to special ed kids.

What the fuck? It can influence things later in history you literal spastic.

W E W

William?

OP has a point desu

>“The first Velvet Underground album only sold 10,000 copies, but everyone who bought it formed a band”

~Brian Eno

Isn't it weird how Bach wrote some extremely seminal works in the western canon but he was largely forgotten about except as a pedagogical reference until Mendelssohn revived his work 100 years later?

rofl get a life dweeb

And isn't it weird how several decades after Bach's death, Haydn, Mozart, and Beethoven discovered his work and used it to influence their own compositions?

>comparing classical music to rock music

>Implying Rock isn't the new classical

There's a small difference between 1700's classical pieces before the invention of recorded music not being popular until later and a 60's rock album not being popular.

>tfw you bought this CD when you were younger and now play in a band

bravo Eno

I bought copy of that album last month and I'm not a member of any band yet, how long do I have to wait?

XD

In what ways is the album influential, by the way?

where's muh band, I have been listening to it for quite some time now

how the fuck does that happen?

like nyeheugheughgh hey joni, this album sounds like shit and the lad's doing a gay voice, imma start a band
nyehueghhuegh I know m8, he sings bout drugs n shite heheh imma play guitar with my dick for getting a record deal and sing about prolapsed anus hehe so controversial

im sorry to tell you this, but you might be LITERALLY retarded

how did nobody know about it if it was tied to the center of american culture at the time. andy warhol and the factory were literally at the center of the art world and that album came out of it. cale and tony conrad were playing with la mont young tied to fluxus. it was at the center of the art world at the time. i dont buy nobody knew about it. or at least everyone that knew about it were people that everyone knew about.

Kill yourself.

Because not a lot of people bought the album but the ones who did picked up their guitar. It also started the New York punk scene in one album which allowed bands like The Doors, Iggy Pop and the Stooges, The Ramones, Television, Patty Smith, Lou Reed's solo career, Dead Boys and most importantly The New York Dolls to get record deals and gigs.

You might be the most stupid person i've ever witnessed on this God forsaken website. And that is saying something.

Because it was mostly only a New York scene which only became world wide almost 10 years later. It was also the album which got Andy Warhol into music. Andy Warhol would've never started the factory without The Velvets.

kekd

holy shit dude

Pls be bait

It isn't

It's influence did happen immediately though. Iggy Pop and the Stooges started almost the same year. The New York Dolls (who were way more influential than The Velvet Underground) started two or three years later.

Pic related, it's the club where the Velvets had most of their gigs with the New York Dolls in front of the club.

>It isn't
Please be bait.

You're a retard.

No your special hipster album that barely counts as music is not the most influential record of all time, fuck off.

Did you even read what I said?

yummy bait

holy fucking shit dude

>is not the most influential record of all time

It's not, but it is for sure the most influential album in rock (wich means nothing, since all rock and derivates are trash).

edgy

>Because it was mostly only a New York scene which only became world wide almost 10 years later. It was also the album which got Andy Warhol into music. Andy Warhol would've never started the factory without The Velvets.
thats bullshit cale, conrad had already established art careers in galleries and museums. nico was a model and acress. i really dont buy they were unknown. its not like they were some random group of kids from the middle of nowhere. they were friends and associates and involved in the center of the art world at the time.

do you realize how small the art world you're referring to actually was?
obviously it wasn't "literally no one" who bought the album or knew about the group but it was a small enough amount of people for it to be considered relatively unknown

> since all rock and derivates are trash
Why even ignore an entire genre? Truly the mark of a pleb.

But Andy Warhol and Max's Kansas City gave them and their contemporaries a record deal and a place to have gigs. Lou Reed blew up pretty fast but his roots (and the roots of all punk music which came out of The Velvet Underground) stayed in New York.

for

for

>not ignoring the art that can, at best, be considered good
Truly the mark of a ineducate intellectually coward pleb.

it was internationally known you retard. andy warhol was a world superstar at the time of tvu+n release. cale and conrad were playing with la mont young who was friends with all the fluxus ppl. interntionally known artists. youre retarded. it is not small it was international. and they were friends and tied to the hottest most well known artists of the time....

you have a warped perception of art history. yeah warhol was a huge pop icon, but the la monte young/fluxus connection is fucking nothing. even now no one cares about fluxus. "internationally known" means fucking nothing, modern japanese onkyo artists are "internationally known" but their labels run presses of less than 100 editions all the time.

stop calling me a retard because we disagree. it's just childish. tvu are my favorite band and la monte young one of my favorite artists, i've referenced fluxus a number of times for connections to interesting sound art artists, but i'm still aware of how tiny they are to the world at large. you don't seem to be able to think in a similar big picture sense

Yeah what do you listen to that's so much better than rock?
J-pop?
Hip-hop?

when people go on about how influential some album/artist is, i stop listening because i dont care. To me it doesnt really matter because quality is not measured by popularity (unless its shitty teenagers in their garage)

art music and traditional musics

influence is an interesting quality all on its own though
i suppose it depends on how interested you are in the connections and history of rock music when it comes to an album like this, but to ignore influence as a factor and consider yourself a serious music listener is just silly

no shit influence doesnt have to do with quality but if your interested in history or how music and the music develops and has changed through time influence is extremely important and interestinf. if you merely listen to music to listen whatever but its not like influence is a meaningless topic

>art music
Music is art fag lol

No this uptight prick only likes romantic avant-garde, give him a medal

>my wife's sons doodles are as good as the Mona Lisa
>they're both art, they're literally the same :)

kys

Well it's not hard making a better painting then Mona Lisa.

>

the wise man bowed his head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad things. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I want aesthetic relativists to leave this board.

i guess, its just for example the huge debate about the beatles angers me because they're not talking about what albums were good just what popularity they got
when it comes to influentiality in terms of history, yes im interested. but take this thread for example youve got to remember that influence only applies when you look at a greater range of time and more than one artist
take this retard

You my friend are a shining star

Never let them change who you are

>he listens to death grips so you know that he's "with it"
Get a load of this massive tryhard

This post is 10 stars out of 10

It's funny because if there's anyone qualified to make a statement like this, it's Brian Eno.

I've heard A Sunny Day In Glasgow might have had some songs from that in mind while recording this.

Maybe that has something to do with the VU's relevance.

It influenced people to be edgy in music thus genres like Post-Punk and alternate rock focusing on British heroine addicts and Shoegaze were born.

not this shit again
kill yourself

It was very groundbreaking at the time. It had a heavy influence in the development of both proto-punk and post-punk. Also explored noise rock and jangle pop.
Aside from the music itself, this album has a lot of cultural significance.