/prod/ - music production general

>Production Resources:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles, tutorials and stuff
pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - still looking for contributors
mu-sic-production.wikia.com
There's a severe lack of DAW descriptions in the wiki. If you're good with your tool of choice, consider writing a paragraph about it.

/prod/ IRC is up!
To join, you can go to rizon.net/chat
Choose a nick, put #/prod/ as channel. Enter!
Or you can get a lightweight desktop client here hexchat.github.io/downloads.html

Remember to use clyp.it to post your tracks/WIP: posting a clyp.it is just providing sound for a question, posting a Soundcloud link is making self-advertisement and the thread doesn't need that.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zvG5lvOjl3I
clyp.it/gjdiv4tm
clyp.it/mpidfvls
mega.nz/#!3stl1CBJ!iTdSCu14f6LlR2UhEy-8g4WHGCVBo0JQ0nmZHAreJo4
clyp.it/0ep45fr3
clyp.it/0svqgeef
clyp.it/oar0zvod
clyp.it/2maggv1c
clyp.it/ptnjlarg
youtu.be/Wale9ymoJDM
clyp.it/5vcv1jzf
soundcloud.com/kung-pao/fresh-air
clyp.it/3or5tvqo
clyp.it/5r0uevyi
clyp.it/tmd0ikey
clyp.it/pgaec5zj
clyp.it/uqast0kz
maxforlive.com/library/device/2135/faint-response-track-stereo-pan-enabler
mc-audio.com/blog/?p=72
bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/09/20/sleepy-time-dsp/
clyp.it/cnmrz4xf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

youtube.com/watch?v=zvG5lvOjl3I

1st for kawaii beats!

>thread is 1 hour ago
>1 post

Poor /prod/..

Also I came to ask what keyboard JYP is holding in this picture

what's the best way to work out when theres an offbeat in a rhythm

I posted an unfinished version of this yesterday, now it's done. Looking for thoughts and opinions, be brutal pls

clyp.it/gjdiv4tm

What do YOU think is wrong with it user?

What is the best kickdrum in all of music?

Post examples.

I'm not sure, my ears are fatigued from working on it all day

It sounds like a demo that Jon Hopkins never finished. Just lacks a bit of sparkle or dynamics or something.

The bass sounds like they want to open up and get more ferocious than they do. Nothing really bursts out.

Drums sound like pretty standard field-recorder sample cut and paste shit.

There's no real aural hook. No sound that I'm latching on to or I'm desperate to hear more of.

Still better than anything I've ever done or probably will by a large margin.

As a side note I remember you from soundcloud threads probably 4-5 years ago. I liked your stuff back then too. You did a track In Walmart or something? With field recordings and noises, I thought that was pretty cool.

Really like your use of the typewriter, however the intro takes to long before you finally start adding other sounds to it.

You're right, fuck

(and that's cool that you remember me and that old-ass track of mine, thanks bruh)

You're not the first person to say this so duly noted, thanks for listening

>thred alred ded
bump

What pad design do you guys use to achieve that thick low-midrange?

The engineering manuals and soundonsound articles I read tell me to high pass my pads at 300hz, which usually ends up removing all weight from them.

Should I be mixing it with a sub bass? It never feels right when I do.

why does every single /prod/ clip has such an obnoxiously long intro

engaging the listener is such a basic exercise in songwriting yet everyone here refuses wtf

I agree m8

needs more high end in most of it too, just a little dull sounding without anything in that frequency range for half the time.

There's that little bell sound in the background and outro that is nice, maybe just smash dat the whole way through the track I dunno.

Depends on the situation for sub.

High pass it wherever the fuck you want. If it isn't sounding thick enough because you are taking out the frequencies that make it sound thick then just don't do that. Do whatever you want man. Just be yourself.

clyp.it/mpidfvls

pretty barebones draft of a beat im working on. never really done this style before but im trying to experiment.

what's the best set of samples or VST to use to make cheesy but authentic 80s synthwave

any analog sounding synth like the Arturia stuff and all the drum machines from the 80's

there you go

mega.nz/#!3stl1CBJ!iTdSCu14f6LlR2UhEy-8g4WHGCVBo0JQ0nmZHAreJo4

bump

Overpriced fucking attempt at a shop

Casio MA150

I need the best vocal synth pack compatible with Ableton you have

Preferably one for which price doesn't have to be an issue ;)))

shit man, I wasn't expecting an actual response. thank you so much.

what do you mean like choir samples

Yeah, things like that. Getting into weird territory in my music and I'd like to have some of that around

serum is pretty easy for things like YAYAYAY formant shit, not only for wubs

Alright, I got rid of most of the annoying long intro and tried to bring out the highs more:

clyp.it/0ep45fr3

is it still shit?

go on rutracker and make an account so you can see all the torrents and there are vocal/choir sample libraries and kontakt libraries when you search

Can someone explain how to get this cycling synth sound? clyp.it/0svqgeef
I don't know how to describe it properly but it kinda sounds like the oscillator is kinda restarting itself very quickly almost?
I thought I'd be able to imitate it via an arpeggiator or something but it doesn't sound quite as good

Sawtooth LFO --> Filter on synth

Anyone recommend any good orchestral vst/libraries? Orchestral suite is too expensive for how poor I am.

east west composer cloud is like $15 a month
that's as cheap as it gets for that kind of shit, especially when you compare it to vsl

I fyou have Ableton Suite there are a bunch of free orchestral packs that are great

>Casio MA150
thanks!

can't crank my speakers enough to really hear the low end without my neighbours getting pissy. any user let me know if its sounding ok?

skip to around 6:00 for where it's busiest down there:
clyp.it/oar0zvod

I think the kick decays a little too long, it could be punchier and shorter
also the pitch drop envelope on it gets annoying really fast, I'd tone that down

forgot to say otherwise the low end is fine, quite balanced

thanks

Hit me with your best 80s VST's senpai

clyp.it/2maggv1c

First time trying something other than hip-hop

Please i'm new at making original music and not chopping samples, critique the shit out of this

U-he Diva

uhe diva

dexed

me again. would you mind...

is this any better?
clyp.it/ptnjlarg

>tfw only use both the very bottom and the very top
What feel should I be feeling

>no Audacity
>no Audition

youtu.be/Wale9ymoJDM

plugins and techniques that will help my beats sound like this?

like what specifically? or just like shit in general

>no pyramix
>no kyma

you picked the wrong software, buster

Took a day off, still wip. Added more variation, tweaked some effects etc.

clyp.it/5vcv1jzf

this isn't me but a user here posted it

soundcloud.com/kung-pao/fresh-air

how do i get my 808 to sound like that? @ 1:00

clyp.it/3or5tvqo

Playin around with the pan

/prod/ i tried posting this shit on /gg/ but i feel like i might actually get knowledgeable answers here.
clyp.it/5r0uevyi

link related is one of my first attempts at production, its an intro to a swedish style melodeath project. looking for any tips and pointers for a noob

>Audition
>music production

m8

fl should be lower

you people dont really think this do you?

lurk for a while and you will see that this is probably a worse general than grimes or kpop

no, people just keep feeling the need to make their own one of these

clyp.it/tmd0ikey

wow, yet another project file where i complete 4 bars and leave it for months. can u guys see this going anywhere? or is it too much s u c c

What pedals should I buy for my new microbrute?

eventide space

thats really expensive dude

it's the best reverb pedal there is, though

>the /prod/ gods dropped a .rar of more DMs than I could ever hope to have

truly based

poorfag here looking for a way to get free samples.

I heard ableton has free Packs on their site, do I need an ableton license to download them?

Thanks user now I can make Shitīpoppu like my favorite 80s nippon artists

Hey guys, so i made this little "beat" tuesday night. Wanted to get some feedback, I think it's a nice little idea.
clyp.it/pgaec5zj

mmm

Currently your subbass is polyphonic which is causing more than one voice to play simultaneously. This is generally sounds bad, and is the case here as well. It's causing a volume spike. Make the bass cut itself off and perhaps adjust the end volume envelope to not make it so legato.

clyp.it/uqast0kz
is this worth anything
I love making music but my output has been fucking garbage lately

I'll make sure to make note of that. I should have also mentioned that nothing is mixed or eq'd at the moment. Thanks for teaching me something

What do you guys do to get around Ableton Live's piss poor panning? Is there a vst or something that does Pro Tools style pan pots or binaural panning/spatializers? Tempted to switch to Logic for this reason alone, I can't stand the lack of mixing flexibility in Live

what's different about protools panning?
obviously there's a lot of binaural plugins

>obviously there's a lot of binaural plugins
Can you name one or two that isn't complete shit? And the difference is that Pro Tools uses pan pots while Live simply reduces the volume on the opposite channel when panned either way using the channel strip

that's exactly how stereo panning works, on all desks, in all daws. the only difference is the level curves (equal gain, equal power, ssl style arbitrary fuckup, ...)

check out the flux ircam suite, there's some neat spatializing stuff in there
also newaudiotechnology's SAD
these are the more advanced ones if you're not satisfied with the shit that waves and so on put out

>Live simply reduces the volume on the opposite channel when panned either way using the channel strip
i read you can make an effect rack to do this

>i read you can make an effect rack to do this
Very interested in this, going to look into it

i found a max for live device if you use that maxforlive.com/library/device/2135/faint-response-track-stereo-pan-enabler

i think this is the effect rack i read about changing the pan law
mc-audio.com/blog/?p=72

idk friends, i kind of just dont want to be alive anymore. music is one of the last productive things i feel like doing in my shit life but its never going to make me money. do i just kill myself?
whats the deal. how do people go through life without just shooting themselves or intentionally OD'ing on something?

You're the best familio estevez

by having goals and believing in yourself to achieve them. if I didn't have my music goals and aspirations I'd probably be fucked up

i have had goals in my life from a young age but im 30 now and i havent achieved them, just have been in and out of homelessness and drug addiction and shit instead.

DualPanner

bedroomproducersblog.com/2014/09/20/sleepy-time-dsp/

i know the feeling senpai. ive been really suicidal all this week. but in the end, it really doesnt matter that we arent gonna make money off this shit. what matters is that it makes us happy and lets us express ourselves. having people appreciate us and what we do is more valuable than any money. as the other guy said, setting goals is a good idea. ive decided im gonna try to finish an album sometime this year, and ive started learning how to solder to try to build some synth kits. it doesnt matter if you suck as long as you enjoy it, and the more time you put into it the less you suck, so its a win win situation.

clyp.it/cnmrz4xf

the part at the end with the stabs totally isnt done but whatever.

you still got plenty of time to achieve goals. im totally addicted to drugs too unfortunately, got back on opis this week, but eh could be worse. its never too late to start achieving goals, or at least putting your best into trying. my dad didnt start making music till he was like 35 and he's a professor at a music school now, so it definitely can be done.

but, for real dude, i WILL starve to death pretty soon here. i t doesnt matter that making music makes me happy, i havent eaten anything but peanut butter all month. homelessness isnt fun, and i cant make music if im homeless either.

well shit senpai, yeah being homeless makes it a lot harder. have you tried busking? you could make a bit of money off that maybe.

idk man guess i just dont have any hope left. i cant even hold down a min wage part time job in the detroit area, what the fuck? im obviously worthless to any employer, and my parents fucking hate me and all my friends think im an asshole because im too poor to own a car and drive out to hang with them. life is fucking dumb.

depending where you live there are places that will let you eat and shelters that are cheap as fuck but you have to sleep around hardcore bums and there are also services sometimes to help you get housing/employment

i have been homeless before but not for long only a few months and it was fucking gay

Damn, can I hear about what it's like to be homeless?

least youve got some friends! though if they think youre an asshole for that they dont seem like very good ones. holding down a job isnt really important in the longer term. i cant hold down one either to be honest. definitely look around for services. i had a homeless beggar ask me for weed out of the blue yesterday and i couldnt help but give him a bit of cash, if you got any jokes you could try unleashing them. same guy was asking for a dollar over and over then suddenly asked for fifteen thousand, if i start laughing i feel really bad for not giving anything.

i was homeless in northeast usa during the winter for 3-4 months and it was fucking bullshit

i kicked in abandoned apartment windows in a ghetto neighborhood to not freeze to death and not eating every day

this was over 10 years ago but now i am doing ok

every day is a mystery whether or not youll eat, or have a safe place to sleep. not sure how else to really explain it.
i was very stressed out every day. lost a ton of weight and a bunch of my hair fell out. developed issues with my teeth and general health issues. have chronic back pain from sleeping on the ground. developed symptoms of schizophrenia after a year of homelessness. shit sucks. dont be homeless.

>developed symptoms of schizophrenia
if you dont already you should put in to get on ssi this is what i have and it is $720 a month what i get for being schizophenic and a studio apt here can costs $450 all bills paid

the problem is it takes maybe a year or something to get approved but you get backpay for while you wair