Will trump bring back manufacturing jobs?

will trump bring back manufacturing jobs?

and if he can, will they actually be a sustainable form of employment? ie solid middle class pay?

Other urls found in this thread:

usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2016/11/12/how-trumps-tax-plan-may-impact-your-returns/93601662/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No and no

No you idiot he is going to self deal to his company run by his idiot children.

i am asking his supporters

You are asking a question on Sup Forums. What are you expecting?

what trump supporters think of his promises of manufacturing jobs

no. if his cabinet is any indication of the next four years its gonna be a rough four years or more. wages will remain the same, jobs won't grow, and may move overseas, and the middle class will shrink at the same as, if not a greater rate than it has in the past 16 years.

I voted trump but the answer is no

"Made in USA" used to mean the best quality and the best warranty. Now it just means you're paying much more for the same quality as something made by children in a third world sweatshop.

US manufacturing simply cannot compete.

No. At least not in the numbers from before. The only way forward is to train/educate the populace in new technologies so they can adapt to higher-tech manufacturing and service positions.

the answer is
>no
>it will take 30 years
>the new economy is the self-employed economy
>open a titty bar or get a mower

Trump is going to fuck his supporters right in the ass. And they'll still find a way to blame "the liberals".

>bring back
no. no jobs that left this country are "coming back." only an idiot would believe this.

>ie solid middle class pay?
without labor unions? no, but see above.

off-shored jobs aren't coming back because it's cheaper to pay some chink, gook, or whatever starvation wages compared to American workers.

you want production jobs in the US? you have to either raise the living standard of sweatshop economies on par with those of US workers or make it difficult to sell things made overseas here. the problem is the latter won't actually help US workers and will destabilize world peace.

the fact is, the modern economy has created a lot of losers who won't recover. the best they can hope for are shitty service jobs than can't be outsourced. on top of that, the US has a labor surplus, which is why it has to put so many people in prison.

>if his cabinet is any indication
Trump has a long history of nepotism, cronyism, and screwing the little guy. why anyone thought he wasn't lying is baffling.

Manufacturing jobs are gone forever. The free market dictates that if a product can be made for cheaper then it will win over it's competition. China can do that over us now, but the torch will soon pass to some other developing nation.

If he tries to bring them back (it will be an incredibly democratic big-government anti-free-market move) he will try to use tariffs to subsidize american goods. This will only put us into a recession. We can likely expect other countries to do the same and tax american goods so that we have no buyers anyway.

He blew 50 shades of smoke up our asses to get elected. No chance of manufacturing jobs coming back to anywhere near the needed levels, and no middle class growth can occur until peopl retool & get educated. Much larger population than the "great" America of the 1950s. So the short answer is no.

Trump engaging in a trade war would lead to a shooting war. He's too fucking irrational and stupid to deescalate a crisis.

the fuckin' truth

good polling place

Ikr? Even though the Republicans have the presidency, House, and Senate, it will still be the "libs" fault...

They want jobs and he's going to sell this country out faster than Reagan happy ended the bankers who got him elected.

this

>the "great" America of the 1950s
people then to forget that the world economy was decimated after WW2, global trade was relatively minuscule, and there was essentially no competition since most competitor nations were in smoking ruins or behind the Iron Curtain. Never mind all those big government programs that helped grow the economy and educate country.

the US the WW2 Generation and Boomers experienced will never exist again in part because of the unique post-WW2 circumstance and because the Baby Boomers grew up to be rotten pieces of shit who demolished what was left of the economy and continue to do so.

We're going to see some crazy shit being done and when they finish there will be a bunch of alt-righters who think Commiefornia cucked them.

That's encouraging. Trump should hire you as a top advisor.

yes but slowly

his tax reform will help the lower-middle class much more than the jobs in the short term

this.

I was reading today about some mines for ore being poised to reopen. That is a start.

i am talking about a scale of at least a million jobs that will pay like 50k a year.

Do you really think americans can make an iphone? nope, not happening.

he will however stop american companies and companies targetting the american market from closing down existing factories and moving them to mexico. That is not bad!!

he may even do some union busting as compensation to the companies, that would be even better

Why are you trying to initiate an intelligent discussion on Sup Forums? you'll only find a bunch of ignorant rednecks that voted for this cocksucker :(

how? by taking away standard deduction and raising the bottom tier rate by 2%

the House plan is worse. they want to dump almost all deductions.

Paul Ryan's GOP will never allow lower for anyone who isn't in the upper class.

American manufacturing is really just American assembly. I worked in a factory and all we did was screw together components prefabricated in China and Taiwan and then stick on the oversized "proudly made in the USA" decal which itself was made in China.
Good times indeed

>union busting

*lower taxes

>no. if his cabinet is any indication of the next four years

It's going to be a orgy of incompetence and corruption.

Ore is the part that is the basic foundation. Ore gets smelted into iron then into steel. Resources do not just appear you know. They must be obtained.

there is a continent called asia. its full of poor countries with a very low standard of living. the people there work very hard in their factories for a little bowl of rice. they´ve assmbled your playstation and your iphone for example.
prepare to compete with them.

Exactly... globalism was an inevitability and Americans longing for the days of low-skill high-paying jobs are delusional

The manufacturing jobs are gone. Even minimum wage can't compete with company-towns and slave wages. Getting in the way of free trade with tariffs would just fuck everything up and not solve the problem.
If the product can be manufactured elsewhere for cheaper, it will. Major corporations are powerful enough to shift operations outside of the US if anything is pushed. Look at Apple and Ireland.

>And they'll still find a way to blame "the liberals".
Why not? Liberals won't fight back. Obama got elected and the GOP their intent was to make him a one-term president, and failing that to make sure he accomplished absolutely nothing.

Trump gets elected, and Democrat politicians like Clinton and Obama are talking about giving Trump a chance and finding areas of agreement.

There's a reason liberals have a reputation of being pussies.

>will trump bring back manufacturing jobs?
impossible.
>will they actually be a sustainable form of employment?
sure, but it'll also mean more waste and shitton of environmental damage closer to your homes.

Yes. Jobs can come back from overseas. It will require tarriffs on imports from economies that are more labor-efficient than ours. The result will be more expensive goods for US consumers, which is a sort of tax in order to subsidize those jobs.

The liberal alternative is to declare a federal minimum wage. That is also a sort of tax.

However, the minimum wage eliminates jobs that are not justifiable at the higher wage. The tarriffs creates jobs to replace imported foods that are not justifiable at the higher cost. It also collects government revenue that can be used to fund income tax reductions, including income tax on corporations, further incentivizing local jobs.

Oh you mean you're wondering if Trump will bring back child labor and abolish minimum wage.

No, And you're an idiot.

Right. I think this is why we need to renegotiate -- but not outright abolish -- our trade agreements with places like Mexico and China, but especially the latter. We further need H1B/other visa reform so that companies can't use them to import cheap labor from India and abuse the fuck out of them for 8 years.

The danger here is that we really don't want to start a trade war with China over this shit -- nobody will win that.

*goods, not foods.

>Americans longing for the days of low-skill high-paying jobs are delusional
that's what they get for turning their backs on unions and embracing the GOP's mix of fundamentalist Christianity and fiscal conservativism

>will never exist again in part because of the unique post-WW2 circumstance
Be careful what you wish for user

Honestly? Probably not. I really don't think many of those jobs really exist nowadays, and if they do, they won't exist for long. Even countries where the manufacturing jobs went are shifting towards service economy (India especially).

>he may even do some union busting as compensation to the companies, that would be even better

>tarriffs

Therein lies the problem. Tariffs can go both ways and if someone, say China, decides they want to retaliate then we can easily find ourselves in a trade war.

I wish there were a simple solution to this but I don't think there is :(

rollll

Don't worry about Trump doing diddly. He won't last a whole term. Its inevitable he'll be impeached or there'll be a coup. The horror...

>The tarriffs creates jobs
we're under 5% unemployment. who is going to do these jobs? the 12 million illegals Trump is going to deport?

are we going to start releasing the surplus labor in our prisons?

no, by raising the standard deduction and yes it would raise the bottom end by 2%

this would be offset by over doubling the standard deduction

that remains to be seen

theyre alarmed by the election results and i have a strong feeling they'll do something more positive than usual. not what everyone wants but it will ease the burden on lower income families by a lot

only slightly on those making between 48-85k

pic related too lazy to greentext
usatoday.com/story/money/personalfinance/2016/11/12/how-trumps-tax-plan-may-impact-your-returns/93601662/

they still won't exist because automation killed manufacturing in addition to outsourcing.

I can't see the jobs lost to automation, and American workers being more efficient ever coming back.
Protectionist policies might help a little.

i assume the next total global war will end of us as a species, or at least i hope so.

That's true, but we are net importers from China (and in general) so we have more leverage. We have room to do this without triggering a full on trade war. We've been the chumps for too long, especially considering the RMB manipulation.

Trump will not accomplish jack shit .

Oh man, I would love it if we got rid of the goddam AMT.

I work in Silicon Valley and while I'm not trying to get out of paying my fair share, having this crap hanging over my head makes planning really tough.

Maybe it would make sense to tax *certain* things from China only -- namely stuff that we export to them that they wouldn't be as likely to retaliate on.

I'm thinking tariffs on steel and semiconductors are probably okay, but probably want to avoid automotive, electronics and food.

OTOH I'm not a trade expert, so who knows.

I think the narrative is not that we are unemployed, but rather, we are underemployed. We have built an economy that is based on serving coffee to each other while one guy invents a new app and makes a billion dollars. Perhaps we should automate coffee serving and shift part of the labor pool to something more productive and equitable.

He could bring back manufacturing jobs that is a definite possibility but if you want middle class wages for everyone he won't be able to compete on exports so much of the work would have to be automated for that to be cost effective. If he places tariffs on china that would be good for the internal economy but will not increase export rates what he will have to do is convince other nations to tariff china as well then you have a fighting for competition.

>OTOH I'm not a trade expert, so who knows.
neither is Trump, so your guess is as good as his.

also: >Trump engaging in a trade war would lead to a shooting war. He's too fucking irrational and stupid to deescalate a crisis.

Manufacturing jobs will come back but they're going to be done by machines

Certain high-paid jobs like lawyers, pilots, and some medical professions will also be given to machines

All trucking and vehicle-based jobs will be given to machines

Low-level service jobs will be given to machines

It's already starting and the government is not prepared for the staggering levels of unemployment and underemployment that the automated future holds.

...So it's a good thing I got an art degree, my job won't be replaced by robots in my lifetime and I'm used to staggering underemployment already.

I'm inclined to think that the problem is that there are more people than jobs. Correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't the entire system have some major problems if every single person who deserved it had a job that pays a decent wage?
I would bet that some sort of UBI is going to be the answer.

I think he will try to free up natural resources like timber in the NW and oil pipelines/fracking. For cars and iPhones he could make it harder to move those jobs out of the country through tariffs and taxes. So his promise could be real. We aren't going to be making like textiles here the way people love from Target and shit. And the cost of that type of isolationism will cost us in many ways, financial and diplomatic. No retard from rural Kentucky is getting shit unless he blows a foreman and gets a fracking job where his love of meth manufacturing will be an asset.

Trump is going to solve literally every problem America has. He has genius intellect, an Adonis physique, and divine rites given to him by God himself

We definitely have a labor surplus.

The dream of technology and automation in the 20th century was that it would create a society of leisure and unemployment wouldn't be a problem. we'd be busy enjoying life while machines did the work.

the reality is it will be a dystopia where most starve and few get really fucking rich.

Yes he can. If he sends the nigs back to Africa, average worker productivity will go up by 30%, we'd reduce our entitlement burden, and spend less on prisons and health care. The one-time cost of the mass deportation is a smart investment.

underrated

Yep and when the Democrats bitch. He'll grab them by the pussy LOL.

>UBI
This guy gets it

But "muh work ethic" conservatives and liberals alike won't go for it, politicians will say we can't pay for it, the media will make fun of it, and nothing will get done until well past the crisis point as usual.

>heavily armed rednecks unable to put food on table

yeah.. that'll end well for all of us

I mean, its not sexy or exciting to head off a crisis two decades in the future. A crisis that never happened doesn't get you relected.

That's part of why Trump got elected.

Do you think he'll fuck our wives and make their orgasms great again? I really hope he turns all of us into little bitch cucks. I'd love the honor of prepping his enormous cock

Pretty much.

I hate the mindset that if you aren't working a 40+ hour-per-week job then you're a bum. But this is ingrained in the American experience. It prevents us from being able to talk about what to do with our excess labor force.

Pic is an interesting book that examines this work-obsessed mindset, among other things.

That's because we let these countries flood our market with their products for free while America had to pay an outrageous tax to import our products in their country. Trump promised to TAX the shit out of these imports. That will lower the price on American made products. Let's see if it works.

Again. If am American company wants to pay a 3rd world country to make their products, Trump is going to tax the shit out of those products as they come into the country. It will eventually be cheaper to make them here to avoid the tax

I would put the blame partially on the Protestant work ethic, particularly the American spinoffs and their gospels of wealth.
Thanks so much Luther.

Tarriffs ruined the US auto industry. (Unions helped too.) US automakers made shitty cars and just lobbied for higher tarriffs on better Japanese ones.

Even pretending your first sentence is correct, why would the prices lower on American made products?

American manufacturing and labor is often more expensive than foreign manufacturing and labor. If imports are taxed to the point that the domestic products become competitive, wouldn't that just mean that everything is more expensive on average? Where in this plan does the cost of American made production go down?

Then you'd like the book I posted. He makes a very similar argument.

Well, I'll probably sit down and read it tonight then. Thanks for the suggestion.

if he can not make america great again nobody can

>That's part of why Trump got elected.
preaching to the choir, i voted for the madman

Peace with russia and fighting back islam is more important

The price would lower because more product is being sold. Kind of like when a product doesn't sell, you now have to raise the price on the few you are selling to make up the difference. Does that make sense?

That only makes it relatively cheaper to make them here. That just jacks up the price of everything you fucking retard. This is how you spend $20 for a tshirt.

even so that's only marginally. the fact is that initial cost will increase on the cheaper products while the costs in american manufacturing will barely decrease from volume discounts

so you want to continue to export wealth and import poverty?

i'd pay more for a tshirt if it meant an american worker got paid to make it vs some college kid forced to make it in china whos ready to jump off a building

Thank you.

If americans want to work for sub-minimum wage pay. and no to the second.

Fail and fail. World economy, remember.
Even if trump throws up a wall of tariffs it doesn't mean the rest of the world are going to buy American. The reality is that tariffs just mean Americans will pay more for what they currently buy while those companies completely move offshore and continue outsourcing their manufacturing in the third world.

>Democrat politicians like Clinton and Obama are talking about giving Trump a chance and finding areas of agreement.
>There's a reason liberals have a reputation of being pussies.

So edgy. I wish all politicians could endlessly bicker because the only """"compromise"""" is to do exactly what I say.

Think about what you're saying.