Tfw you realize the loudness war has pretty much destroyed music...

>tfw you realize the loudness war has pretty much destroyed music ,and all your favorite records of the past decades would be vastly more impactful if mastering engineers weren't literal autists

yeah I listen exclusively to mainstream music too

does everybody master like this?
does everybody re-master like this?

that's more sound per second of music, what a bargain.

your austitic

Loudness War died down a lot by the 10s

this, peak was like 6-7 years ago before r128 and things like youtube and streaming services normalizing loudness

Its better

pic related was on jukebox's at twice the volume of every other record of it's time.

truly patrician tier album. the live sound and the fact that it was loud as fuck, suits the album though.

and then morning glory was even louder

Loudness war is just a scam to resell all these shitty records back to you again in another 10-20 years in remastered, de-louded versions.

I am not a turbo autist over fine matters of production/mastering, but I have a few relevant opinions for Sup Forums.

I know what a quiet CD sounds like. It sounds quiet. One instance of a quiet CD is my copy of Tago Mago, which I believe is a fairly poorly mastered CD transfer.

I can readily recall the LOUDEST actual physical CD that I've played, and now I show my full pleb colors: this would be Skrillex's "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites". Thing is LOUD-mastered, obnoxious, digital-as-fuck.

However you measure "LOUD" masters, I challenge this board to find a LOUDER, more OBNOXIOUS master than the aforementioned CD.

I don't know about more recent trends in quieting things down a bit, as other anons have commented.

Musicians don't have a choice now if they want their music to be marketable. If your album is only 80% as loud as every other band out there, any time someone comes across it on something like spotify it's just not going to compete with whatever comes before and after it, regardless of its quality. Loudness is here to stay.

that's why I buy vinyl

shit tier edm like that has to be loud as fuck or it would sound even duller and show the sloppy production

Agreed, OP

But it also has to do with solid state amplification and ProTools supplanting tube amplification and magnetic tape; you can't beat the sound of a low-gen master tape from the 60's

spotify loudness normalizes to a fairly low (compared to what lots of pop CD releases used to be like) target

Volume normalization is optional on spotify. I'm not sure if it's default or not.

>wah wah it's so loud the music is literally destroyed
>yet I'm going to call others the autist
kek

This.

One of my band's last albums was brickwalled as fuck just because if we didn't, it would be quiet in comparison to other bands we were "competing" with.
Not always different masters.

defaut is on

underrated post

Leonard Cohen's last album is DR13

Working on a master now that's a DR10

I see nothing wrong with this logic

and then Be Here Now was one of the worst sounding records ever recorded

Did people who listen to noise fall for it?

and Be Here Now was so loud that when they remastered it last year it was one of the few recent remasters thats actually quieter than the original.

Isn't there something with cocaine and high frequencies sounding better? Because BHN was mixed while they were pretty much doing coke off the mixing desk so that explains why the album sounds so over the top. Good songs hidden in there desu, with better production the album wouldn't have been as poorly received imo

Listen to more music. There are so many shitty lo-fi bands that sound worse
No, it was louder.

>mfw my album looks like this
Am I safe?

Probably. Can you take a better pic? You can also check the DR on it as well

I took this a long time ago. I don't feel like busting my laptop out to take a new picture.
It's pretty loud at times, but it never clips, and its pretty dynamic.

Genre?

I read that Noel originally wanted to strip back the entire album like he did with DYKWIM but when he started working on My Big Mouth he realized that it has over 30 guitar tracks for no reason and was just like "fuck me I can't do a whole album of this" and gave up. The re-think for DYKWIM is great and maybe better than the original. Wish he stripped back Don't Go Away and Stand By Me, though

Blackgaze/Post-Metal

Is dynamic range the new trendy plecebo shit hipsters will pretentiously drone on about now?

>new

>he realized that it has over 30 guitar tracks for no reason and was just like "fuck me I can't do a whole album of this" and gave up.
Not correct. He thought the album was losing it's balls, so he stopped after one song. Part of Be Here Now's charm is it's over-the-topness
Oh then you're fine even if it's brickwalled
>natural characteristics of sound?
>it's just pretentious hipster trendy shit

We have some really quiet, ambient/acoustic sections.
It's not just a wall of sound. I love wall of sound shoegaze/blackgaze, though.

placebo indeed

>We
Isn't it just you in your bedroom though? Or is it an actual band?

We're a band. We started as a duo, like Deafheaven, but now there are three of us.

High frequencies are supposedly boosted around 7hz on coke. This would actually tend to make intoxicated engineers mix instruments at those frequencies too low, since they're more sensitive. I've never noticed this on coke but maybe I'll do a hearing test next time.

Drugs probably fuck with the process a lot more then a bit of hearing alteration though.

Dynamic range is great if you're purposefully paying attention to the music or at a concert. If you're on the bus or working or whatever, it's annoying to have all the quiter sounds blocked out by ambient noise and the brief loud moments are interrupting.

The Coke wouldn't have fucked with the mastering, just their ability to censor themselves. As in, the songs going on too long and having a million guitars

Well that's what he was specifically asking about.

I agree on the going over the top.

It's an interesting thought nonetheless. I've never done coke so I can't say either way

I should look for some research on that sometime, because I've read it in a couple places but I'm not sure if it's true. I've done it a couple times but not enough to really get a sense of that. I do get ringing in my ears a little sometimes.