/daily/ - "drunk pigs" edition

A drunk Jangle is an argumentative Jangle.

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=o0Lv8irN66U
youtube.com/watch?v=vubtGImJXqk
youtube.com/watch?v=dZ2q9NmYf6g
youtube.com/watch?v=ADM2WG1PsRs
youtube.com/watch?v=IN7LQNDkobA
youtube.com/watch?v=KgmoMO66uPg
youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw
youtube.com/watch?v=6_NeqMAAsBk
youtube.com/watch?v=x3NLa4ebX4E
youtube.com/watch?v=XS6MOep2wLs
youtube.com/user/FatalFarm/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=EfFI6L4m49g
rateyourmusic.com/genre/Krautrock
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

reposting this for convenience
lasagna cat was a webseries back in 2008
the format of the series is hard to explain verbally
you'll get the jist from just watching a few of the vids
youtube.com/watch?v=o0Lv8irN66U
youtube.com/watch?v=vubtGImJXqk
youtube.com/watch?v=dZ2q9NmYf6g
the project's last upload was on january 14th, 2008. by that i mean every video up on the channel prior to the reboot was uploaded on that one day.
the channel laid silent for 9 years.
out of nowhere, on the 9th of this month, this was uploaded to the channel.
youtube.com/watch?v=ADM2WG1PsRs
this was then followed by this video on the same day, an ad a real call in line asking for people's full names and number of sexual partners they've had.
youtube.com/watch?v=IN7LQNDkobA
today, the channel uploaded 13 new videos, 12 new installments of the lasagnacat series, and a 5 hour video of the results of the sex survey. everybody who called in got a custom reply. note that the background footage slowly changes with the video. also note the ending.
youtube.com/watch?v=KgmoMO66uPg
one of these videos is a 1 hour uninterrupted video of John Barrymore III contemplating the philosophical aspects of the aforementioned strip.
youtube.com/watch?v=NAh9oLs67Cw
one of the videos features Justin Roiland singing In the Air Tonight.
youtube.com/watch?v=6_NeqMAAsBk
also there are several separate youtube channels and websites that correspond with the project in an arg like fashion, including both channels in this video. one of the videos on odie's channel was uploaded 4 years ago. the rest on both were posted today as well.
youtube.com/watch?v=x3NLa4ebX4E
youtube.com/watch?v=XS6MOep2wLs
it's too much to list out here. this will likely be dissected over the course of weeks, so this is all just very surface level shit at this point most likely.
i'm scared.

Damn that's fucking crazy. Do we know anything about the people behind it? That ending was high art.

youtube.com/user/FatalFarm/videos
this is the company that worked on it apparently.
they did the robocop dick exploding video.
youtube.com/watch?v=EfFI6L4m49g

Haha oh yeah I remember that

fresh wall-o-text comin' soon watch out

>was subscribed to lasagna cat for five years
>got a fuckton of uploads in one day out of nowhere
what a surprise. One of the best channels became even better.

The Matrix fight-parody video slayed me. Goddamn perfect.

Had no idea about the other channels though. Will have to check them out.

oh boy.
guess i'm /upallnight/ at this point.

Supersilent - 6 (2003)
>free improvisation

Definitely the poppiest, most accessible free improv release I've ever heard. Helge Sten (Deathprod)'s roots in ambient give this a very dreamy, textural quality, losing a lot of the angularity that's so often present in free improv. Sometimes it's a bit too light, which is mostly prominent when they take on more of a post-rocky sound, but this is mostly pretty beautiful stuff. The instrumentation is varied, the pieces flow beautifully and naturally, which all makes for a nice listen, and a great entrance point for free improv.

3.0+

Ákos Rózmann - 12 Stationer VI (2012)
>electroacoustic

The first piece is monstrous. It's a lurching, ugly, massive twenty-minute long electroacoustic piece that shatters every preconception I had about the genre being generally somewhat light and airy. It's noisy, hypnotic, and most importantly it's interesting and entrancing. The other three pieces are cool enough, but nothing quite reaches up to the first piece. Some parts of the last piece that focus a lot on mouth sounds and squeaking get really irritating, but barring that it's still a decent piece.

3.0-

this is like next level weird internet shit

i never thought lasagna cat would come back, especially not in this weird-ass way

hey

glad you liked supersilent

it was good! gonna check out the rest of their stuff.

I have a lot to get through so it's all gonna be short and shitty bare with me.

>New Order - Substance
Glad I'm giving these guys another chance because this comp is tops. Only bad song is "
State of the Nation" which isn't even that bad. Even the two-disc version has some bangers. Can see this getting a lot of replay.

>Lemon Demon - Spirit Phone
If you have never liked an album more because of how much fun it was: 1) I feel sorry for you 2) you probably should miss this. Lots of really well-executed synthpop tunes. Favorite tracks were the redone "Reaganomics", "Touch-Tone Telephone" and "
Eighth Wonder" are all great pop songs. There's a few whatever songs but the humor here is more akin to TMBG and less meme-y than the Mouth projects.

>Robert Ashley - Automatic Writing
Certainly not the mind-numbing experience I'd hoped for but pretty damn surprising and eventful. I think everyone here could get at least something from this. I could just copy more RYM descriptors like "meditative" or "mysterious" but I think y'all should just decide for yourself.

>Lee Hazlewood - Cowboy in Sweden
A few years ago I believed
>All country is shit
A year ago I believed
>All country pop is shit
And now I'm not sure what I believe. Every track before and including "No Train to Stockholm" is solid. Wasn't super sold on all the orchestration though.

>Brian Eno - Before and After Science
I don't really like any of Eno's "Art Rock" stuff but this was my favorite of that kind. "By This River" and "Backwater" are two of his best songs.

>Max Richter - Three Worlds: Music From Woolf Works
A lot of memorable and beautiful moments here, especially on the closing track, but this is balanced with a fair amount of far too short tracks that left me hanging. I'm sure this guy is very capable and talented, I just felt wanting more on most of this.

>Eliane Radigue - Adnos I-III
Hypnotic, but very guessable after about the first forty minutes. While "Trilogie de la mort" featured plenty of beautiful surprises, here is a three hour drone album where every 10 minutes the drone currently playing fades out while a new one fades in. For three discs. Not bad at all and the drones played are pretty satisfying, I just wish I was caught off-guard somewhere here. Formulaic experimentation isn't quite my jam.

>Flipper - Blow'n Chunks
It's less dumb bullshit than their other one but it's just non-expansive performances of good studio songs.

>Frodus - Conglomerate International
Sellmeagod-core that would've been waaay better had they stuck with the edgy factor. Way too much dumb filler shit in here.

>Sweet Valley - So Serene
By far the best thing Nathan Williams has ever put out and it's still kinda crap!

And holy shit so much Cocteau Twins
BBC sessions was just stuff that had already been recorded in worse quality and played worse. These guys were probably really shitty live. There were a lot of good pop tracks on Four-Calendar Café, but I see why someone that's an "Etherealist" might hate this project and see it as their "selling out point". Not amazing, but "Bluebeard" is seriously one of their bests. The Spangle Maker is a great EP with two of their best songs and one okay song. The 12-in Pearly Dew-Drops 4eva. Tiny Dynamine had one great song and three okay ones. Echoes in a Shallow Bay had four boring songs. Milk & Kisses was bad but not quite irredeemable. Makes me think if they kept going their next album would've been awful.
4, 6, 8, 6, 4, and 4, respectively.

what next

primavera sound

Pine Smoke Lodge - El-Ahrairah (2010)
>drone, ambient

Cool drones and all, but nothing goes anywhere and all four tracks drag on for far too long. Lack of progression in drone is a bad thing, especially when two tracks on the album crack twenty minutes and the other two are nearly ten. A really cool idea is presented, but nothing is built upon that idea, it's just repeated and repeated with no variety at all. Because of this, it really doesn't have any low points, but it has no distinguishable high points or remarkable moments either. The tribal closer is really cool, but no other track has even half of it's memorability or compositional wonder.

2.0+

Scientist - Best Dub Album in the World

I’m not sure if it quite lives up to its name (mostly b/c I’ve heard like no dub) but I gotta admit, this is groovy as hell. It’s only 26 minutes long but in that time it really manages to pack a punch. There’s pretty much everything you’d expect in dub - heavy bass, ska-y upstroke guitar, dope drums and a ton of reverb. The drums are probably my favorite (who would’ve guessed?) because there’s some that have this awesome echo-y slapping tone that’s just the coolest. It sounds like someone is smashing the top of a tin garbage can in a deep, watery cave and I pretty much picture that every time it happens. That contrasts quite well with the heavier, steel-sounding drumming, which kind of sits in the foreground of most tracks.

Even cooler - there’s extensive use of sound effects. There’s sharp little lasery effects that fly through the recording. Half the time they sound like Star Wars blasters and the other half they sound like radar blips. Kind of electronic and makes me think about how influential this stuff was on early hip-hop production and (I’m assuming) electronic music.

I think the thing I like the most about dub and all reggae in general is how founded it is in rhythm. I guess that’s a dumb statement because all music is - but it embraces it so much. And I think about it more when I hear these genres. There’s a really heavy bassline in every track that just dominates. And the drums mostly sit in the front of the mix, until it fades for the guitar, sound effects or whatever to just take over. As a result, it feels very cyclical and so relaxing.

Anyway, I’m probably just stating the obvious at this point but this is really just superb all the way around.

4/5

>Dadawah - Peace and Love

this is actually the first reggae album I've ever heard.. havent even listened to bob marley or anything. this was great, i debated really hard between a 4 and a 4.5, and it would have easily been a 4.5 if the rest of the tracks were as good as "zion land". hypnotic, warm, and religious.. love it

4/5

I love this meme an unreasonable amount.

Also, have you heard everything by Cocteau Twins? Seems like you've reviewed one of their albums every chart

Yeah, that Dadawah album is definitely one of the best reggae albums I've found. A lot different than the other stuff I've heard though, it feels way darker and more spiritual. Triangle might be able to hook you up with some recs if you're interested, he knows the most about the genre afaict

Also, your chart makes me want to check out Flockaveli again t b h

>first reggae album
woof
great album, not a good representation of the genre I must say though.
It really is a very unique combination of reggae and nyabinghi, which is traditional, religious rastafari drum music. Not much else like it out there.
glad you liked it though!

(bob marley ain't worth it desu, if anything go for The Congos next)

ayy, you liked it!

I like your descriptions of the drum sounds, your wording really captures the sound accurately.

We listened to all of A Love Supreme in class last week and people were making countless supreme jokes in whispers. Was kinda annoying but 10% funny.

>Also, have you heard everything by Cocteau Twins
Other than an album that's, like, TECHNICALLY a Cocteau Twins album because it was made by all of the members minus the bassist just not credited as a Cock Twins album and also their first album, yes I have. Very solid discog so far.

Yeah, it was dope! Glad you liked the description, took me a while to figure out what exactly those drums sound like.

Gonna potentially check out the Sly album tonight because I like what I've heard from dub so far.

Sounds like a fun class dude, I wish I had taken something like that. At least you know your class has an okay sense of humor though

Also, damn that's a lot of material. I've dug what I've heard by them so far but haven't had the chance to dive into anything other than their big two

for real how is this album cover not a meme.

It's really shitty jazz fusion and it's literally a euphoric fedora. It could probably fit for any given zappa album honestly.

As a huge fan, I'd say The Pink Opaque, Heaven or Las Vegas, and Treasure are their only worthwhile ones unless you're super into post-punk/dream pop/ethereal wave. Otherwise, all of their bolded material is great.

>Watched a whole fucking hour of the lasagnacat sex survey video
>my call didn't show up
I called in only a few days ago so I wonder if it even got in. Only three more hours to watch I guess.

It's time for slumber though good night.

you better fucking link it if you find it

back
trip was p cool, sat on the edge of a river and stared into the reflection of the trees for what must have been 6 hours, can recommend LSD

i didnt write this
don't ruin my purity

>>Lee Hazlewood - Cowboy in Sweden
'leather and lace' + 'for a day like today' are such great songs. this reminds me i wanted to relisten to his album with nancy sinatra

It's friday motherfuckers. I've got like two hours free right now, so hit me up with an album.

#neat

>hit me up with an album.
: )

If LSD is so good then why didn't It fix your taste?

yamir chort

>Adnos I-III review
Hm now im not as motivated to sit through it

I honestly thought it was you desu

Shit thats real good, all of those albums are amazing
Glad you put playero 37 on it
Maurizio is a basic channel side project btw

they better
i must have listened to like half of the stuff you had on your chart that there wasn't a lot left to choose from

lol i still have a lot of very popular albums and the occasional daily core album :/

>New Order - Substance
that record sucks tee bee aich

looks a good chart from what I've heard on it, is that your favourite Basho apart from Visions yam?

I'm stuck at home with a furious snow storm raging outside pls gib cozy reccs for this.

>tfw I made a chart for this

was gonna rec something folky like Vashti Bunyan

noisey/shoegazey music like galaxie 500 works quite well too imo, not that it snows often here

>frantz, vashti, sibylle, nick, linda and boubacar on the same chart

I'm downloading every single other one of these fucking records.

But regardless From Gardens Where We Feel Secure should 100% be up there too. No comfier record.

>no atmoblack

too easy probably

No that IS my favorite basho album

Good chart

>You're Living All Over Me
are you ready for the best fuckin noise rock on the planet?

Really? What makes you like it so much? It's probably my 3rd favourite after Visions and Voice of the Eagle, he doesn't use his voice quite as much which is what I think sets him apart from other AP artists

Thats not the best noise rock album but luckily the best noise rock album is also on the chart ;)

>honestly thought it was you desu
this upsets me

please

>that record sucks
Get out

I did, however, write that next post

i might give it another go but I turned it off before the end when I was going through my dad's records years ago. New Order just ain't for me apart from a couple of songs which are fantastic.

Someone who is good with programming and/or software here: what's the best way to trace moving points in a video? I need to mark up the joints of animals and create dots that follow them.

This is not on Spotify.

oh fuck that hits the spot baby

this too

thanks mateos
time for cozy time

D.R. Hooker - The Truth

Heard this one? Pretty good

bruh

Will listen a bit later, playing some gita now

Cloudfare had a leak, be prepared to change your trips

Nobody's taking my trip

Also if you have a pass, change the password

The leak was probably nothing but you might as well be safe

is that you playing the guitar

yes i am a cute animes

damn

Carnaval let's go

Some love for Emmanuelle Parrenin? Hot damn I don't remember the last time I saw that name even mentioned on Sup Forums. Siq.

Luigi Russolo - Die Kunst Der Geräusche

This italian man invented noise as a musical concept. Interesting for the historical value and some of the most vocal pieces are actually pretty good, but I don't love it.

hanabi a slut

Rudi

hair?

I'm a huge pleb when it comes to old music, can anyone rec me stuff from before 1990?

Islaja is really great, have you heard ulual yyy?

Iron and Wine - The Creek Drank the Cradle

The odd vocal production on this album makes it extra comfy

No jokes about balding pls!!!!!
(Or I'll send hampus to you lol)
No bfr I had long hear when I was like 17 but it's gotten better over time

???

>Frisk Frugt
my man

underrated 2015 aoty right there

If you like that, you'd probably like Van Dyke Parks and Pet Sounds-era Beach Boys. He borrows a lot of Parks's baroque pop, but also incorporates elements of Krautrock-esque electronica

So maybe check out Krautrock too
>rateyourmusic.com/genre/Krautrock

based on a lot of the other spacey and psychedelic stuff you have on there, Krautrock seems like a fine idea

>Islaja is really great
i'll do it next then, from the snippets i've heard it's really sweet. if i like it i'll listen to ulual too

also you might like these
burzum - filosofem
coil - the ape of naples
cocteau twins - heaven or las vegas
mercury rev - yerself is steam

and for music from before 1990 you can't go wrong with tago mago or pink moon

"I get high on life!!" -tier opinions, as typically is the case from you.

I love pet sounds, I'll check out that other stuff

moca best girl
if u dont have a trip...
people can't steal it
biosphere substrata is best album for cold weather
>>New Order - Substance
>that record sucks tee bee aich
this is a real opinion someone has

Cool, and I feel like I recognize your name, but in case you're new, welcome to daily, friendo

everyone's seen my trip though
any other websites this affected we should know about?

>music from before 1990
that's pretty freakin' broad category
I'll do my best to be concise though

>1920s
Henry Thomas - "Ragtime Texas" Complete Recorded Works 1927-1929
Blind Lemon Jefferson - King of the Country Blues
Lonnie Johnson - Steppin' on the Blues
Tommy Johnson - Complete Recorded Works in Chronological Order (1929-1929)
Charley Patton - Founder of the Delta Blues
Eck Robertson - Old-Time Texas Fiddler
>1930s
Blind Willie Johnson - Dark Was the Night
The Carter Family - 1927-1934
Blind Boy Fuller - East Coast Piedmont Style
Skip James - Complete 1931 Sessions
Blind Willie McTell - Early Years (1927-1933)
Jimmie Rodgers - The Essential Jimmie Rodgers
Woodie Gutherie - Dust Bowl Ballads
>1940's
Lead Belly - Where Did You Sleep Last Night: Lead Belly Legacy Vol. 1
>1950s
Odetta - Odetta Sings Ballads & Blues
Lefty Frizzell - Look What Thoughts Will Do
Hank Mobley - Jazz Message #2
Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um
Ravi Shankar - Music of India: Three Classical Ragas
The Stanley Brothers - Complete Columbia Recordings
>1960s
Richard Abrams - Levels and Degrees of Light
Sandy Bull - Fantasias for Guitar and Banjo
Mingus - The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady
Pearls Before Swine - Balaklava
Max Roach - We Insist!
Ultimate Spinach - s/t
White Noise - An Electric Storm
The Beach Boys - Smile Sessions
>1970s
Baby Huey - The Baby Huey Story
Robbie Basho - Visions of the Country
Cluster - Cluster II
Simon Finn - Pass the Distance
Dadawah - Peace & Love
Exuma - s/t
Linda Perhacs - Parallelograms
John Fahey - America
Freddie Hubbard - Sing Me a Song of Songmy
Keith Hudson - Nuh Skin Up
Devo - Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!
Hound Dog Taylor - Beware of the Dog
The Trees Community - The Christ Tree
>1980s
Cardiacs - A Little Man and a House and the Whole World Window
Human Sexual Response - In a Roman Mood
Mikey Dread - World War III
The Units - Digital Stimultion
They Might Be Giants - Lincoln
Nomeansno - Wrong

Triangle, rate my History of Rock Music's week on porto-blues and country and western blues

A few anachronistic examples included

Gonna relisten to it sometime soon since so many of you like it so much, its been a while and I've liked a few synthpop albums since

this is a class I'm taking btw

inb4 too much muddy waters

so one time jim asked me about grindcore and i realized there's almost nothing in the genre i actually really like anymore
not to claim i'm too "mature" for it

when's the last time that happened to you?

well, pic related is actually kinda cool and melodic even tho it probably has the worst guitar tone of all time

I'm not sure what "proto-blues" means, but it's a decent list at least just from a quality standpoint
serving as a complete historical perspective on how blue developed into rock though? very sparse.
Leaves out a lot of critical delta and early chicago musicians that were vital to the early rock sound.
Jimmie Rodgers is only really relevant if you're gonna spend time on country as well.

good
this is proof that bullying works

also
>only one delta musician
>Sam Cooke (who debuted after rock was already a thing) (also not even blues)
>only chicago blues is muddy waters
>putting obscure/irrelevant artists on this list when you haven't even covered the essentials

I'll bring my ratings and reviews of Fishmans discography on here. Starting by release date order.
>Neo Yankee Holiday: 7/10

People will say the Fishmans unique dreampop style only truly started with Kuuchuu Camp. But I disagree. It was already a thing way back on Neo Yankee Holiday. The album is basically Fishmans all over. Reggae and dub, check. Weird experimentation and distortion? Check. Dreampop? Well, Some moments already hint at that more ethereal later work of theirs. So yes. It's emotive as well. I want to give the good rating for this one for being such a solid and good album overall but you know when an album is just lacking something? Such is the case with NYH. So a 7 stands.

>Orange: 5/10

I never liked Orange much. Since day one it was sort of an odd one for me. Fishmans stripped out of reggae AND dream pop? I mean what the hell is this even? "This wouldn't sound like fishmans" i thought with myself before listening to the album. Of course I always admired that organization of instrumentation that Fishmans had going on, much similar to a jazz band. So yeah i was still expecting something good.

What we have here is indeed not at all like a Fishmans record, this is more like your 90s indie rock with lots of 60s, 70s and 80s pop influences and yeah it's not really that good. The timing is good, the players are good, but the music just doesn't blend. The songs don't sound like songs, the drums don't fit in the same room with the guitars and they end up sounding more like a collection of sounds beating one over the another instead of blending in perfect harmony. Good instrumentation and compositions but it's just a mess. I blame a little the mixing team as well.

Come iiiiiiiiin i heard a voice from insiiiiiide
Also this has some of his best guitar work and the opener is the best american primitivism song ive ever heard
I know bashos voice is what sets him apart but i liked that it wasnt as present because some of these are definitely better without vox

Mfw no trip master race

Old music is overrated anyway

Kuuchuu Camp: 9/10

This is obviously the quitessential Fishmans album along with Long Season, and one of my favorites. A combination of downtempo that is about as good as anything offered by the top bands worldwide at the time (Mezzanine, Portishead) and dreamy dreampop making up some sort of an agitated but subtle night ambiance. Just really massive and good arrangements.

>Long Season: 10/10
Long Season would have been easily the best track on about almost any album that was created in the world. Mystery, tension, experimental yet wholly accessible, complex arrangements, a sublime discharge of landscapes and emotions. One of the greatest albums of all times

also forgot to mention epic. Truly it is a phenomenal epic

Akasaka Blitz: 9.1/10
The version of Go Go Round this World is absolutely jaw dropping and is one of the best Fishmans tracks ever, all other tracks were nice as well. Sounds like an extended kuuchuu camp, even their take on Long Season will feature elements and instrumentation closer to night cruising or lucky guy than the studio version of the track itself. But pretty great and filled with epic moments peculiar to Fishmans.

also forgot trip

easy solve: don't have a trip

shut your fuck

Idk I just like post-punk a lot sue me

stop

make me

pretty please

k