Why aren't there any more (good) fantasy movies like Lord of the Rings?

Why aren't there any more (good) fantasy movies like Lord of the Rings?

It did fairly well, didn't it? Yet the closest thing I can think of is Warcraft, which is miles away from the acting & art & humor of LotR.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RAhR3v-flh8
youtube.com/watch?v=CDupGM26iVc
youtube.com/watch?v=M4vY-RXGlz4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This looks so fucking stupid;delete yourself.

What would you suggest adapting?

Big budget fantasy isn't a sure bet like comic book movies/scifi action blockbusters/YA books. And even those aren't necessarily successful either. Plus there aren't any no-brainer fantasy IPs to adapt after Harry Potter.

Maybe if James Cameron gets a boner for high fantasy after Avatar

You can start with the popular/high selling fantasy autors

>david gemmell
>Brent Weeks
>joe abercombie
>jim butcher
>Andrzej Sapkowski

Just to name a few..

>literally who
>literally who
>joe abercombie
>literally who
>literally cyka blyat

You seem to have forgotten
>Robert Jordan
>Terry Brooks

The First Law might make a decent movie

>let me disregard the good authors and throw in some complete garbage

good job

>the only two fantasy authors to come anywhere close to Tolkien-quality
>complete garbage
Chose one.

I need a Redwall movie. Make all the characters with practical effects. Would look comfy as can be.

Warcraft is the LOTR of our generation. Actually it's better, I fell asleep watching BORE of the Rings

Gore Verbinski MUST direct.

so LotR and Hobbit wasn't enough? You think all the other BUDGET movies like that that are done in the woods like hansel and gretel and the huntsmen isn't part of fantasy.

so basically every budget movie that is fantasy isn't part of what should be the HIGH budget fantasy like LOTR that have countries renaming themselves and declaring holidays for them.

gee dunno why more movies aren't like LotR

Got any more? This is giving me nostalgia sweats.

>this is the average quality of a "bait" post on Sup Forums these days

I wish every human was an androgynous elf like xer.

They used 60 mice for the entirety of filming in 4-5 mouse teams, they rarely used CG unless it was necessary because the little buggers are really smart and easy to train.

Stop posting this... thing

I imagined something more along the lines of the BBC version of Narnia.
Or Mama (Rock'n Roll Wolf):

youtube.com/watch?v=RAhR3v-flh8

youtube.com/watch?v=CDupGM26iVc

They also did a Wind in the Willows movie like that.

youtube.com/watch?v=M4vY-RXGlz4

Oh man, I remember the animated series.
Felt so sorry for the frog...

Ahhh Toad more often that not got himself in trouble, plus eventually the gang would bail his ass out.

Yeah, I know. But he couldn't really help being such a fucking retard.
I don't know. Had a lot of sympathy with the guy.

Why aren't there any more (good) fantasy books like Lord of the Rings?

It did fairly well, didn't it? Yet the closest thing I can think of is ASOIAF, which is miles away from the writing & worldbuilding & humor of LotR.

>Yet the closest thing I can think of is Warcraft
>I'm criminally young and have never seen any movies made before 2001

i remember tons of movies trying to ride on lotrs success back in the day and they all did horribly

they're own fault for being low effort shit tier movies

Average quality of fiction on both sides of the snob fence is terrible, so you have to be quite a reader to be able to find the few good authors. I daresay that people who decide what the next blockbuster slot is going to get filled with don't spend their days sifting through dull derivative prose at their local discount bookstore.

>listen to elves give exposition for 2 hours
>watch people walk for the rest
great movie 10/10

Excalibur is amazing. Don't let the fact that it's older turn you off. Merlin is more captivating when on screen than Gandalf.

Fantasy has had a pretty poor track record 2bh

In 138 years of cinema as a medium there have been, like, 9 really good fantasy movies which are the three Lord of the Rings movies, Excalibur, Conan the Barbarian, the first Hobbit movie, The Princess Bride, Jason and the Argonauts and Black Angel