Memes aside, why do so many women lack any interest or understanding of this movie...

Memes aside, why do so many women lack any interest or understanding of this movie? I've read numerous anecdotes on this board about it and have experienced it myself. Why is this so?

There are no women in it

The concepts of honour, loyalty and pride in your country are foreign to them.

I watched it with my gf and she really loved it. After end credits she asked me if I know some other movie/tv show with similar atmosphere set in that era, so we watched Hornblower and she loved that too.
Its really just a meme dude.

No it's because there's no conflict OVER a woman in it. The conflict in this film is one primarily one of ideological and personal difference between Aubrey and Maturin. Duty, Honor and Pride versus Intellectualism, Egalitarianism and Secularism is the crux of this conflict and the film's backdrop of the Napoleonic Wars is largely symbolic of this clash. Both of these men, though friends, influence the young midshipman Blakeney in their respective views; using him as a vessel to demonstrate the pros and cons of each of their perspectives. By the end of the film this ideological conflict has been settled as both Aubrey and Maturin put aside their differences to fight the French and Blakeney develops a sort of dialectical balance between the two men - ingesting the best parts of their respective ideologies.

Women can't understand this film as they cannot understand conflict unless it's framed in a context of a third party. That is, either in the context of suffering at someone else's hands, or being fought over by someone else. Women most enjoy films in which a woman, or any character, experiences conflict as a witness or victim. This is why women love 'Strong Women' films in which a woman gets revenge or overcomes some sort of tragedy inflicted by some else. They cannot understand the sort of conflict in this film wherein these two men clash not over what they have done to one another, but in their ideological disparity.

They just think sawing off the kids arm is wrong and bad and evil instead of understanding shit was different back then

We watch, we understand, we empathise. We see ourselves on the land, getting enrolled in the Navy, completing the adventure. We can envision the ship being built and floating on the water. We know the team of men can administer and control the ship to complete the world tour.

women ask

>why did they leave the land
>why are they at sea
>why are they organized like that
>why does he want to find the new animals
>do they not get bored
>whats the point of being at sea

This meme.
Now i want to show this movie to my gf just to see what she thinks

nice

Not all women hate it. When I first saw it right after the battle I just had to rewind the entire thing cause it was so amazing to experience watching those scenes. I love movies that give you that experience, but yes it is rare finding other women who like it as much as I do. They simply like simpler movies and fail to see points entirely.

It's my niece's favourite movie, I bought her the blu ray for Christmas and she's watched it like 8 times

wat

That's my Mom's favourite movie

I thought it was a girl film like Titanic

>fucking nailed it

Post your pinkie finger

tits or gtfo

Hornblower and Sharpe HD torrents where?

How similar is Hornblower? I don't want to watch a shitty version of Master\Commander

I'm screencapping this for future threads on this subject.

it's already been a copypasta for over a year user, you didn't think all the countless "movies that women will never understand" threads were just a dead end did you? just goes to show, "women".

If the pasta is a year old, then how come I haven't seen it before even though I've been 4channing for 3 months now? Explain that, I dare you.

Tbh senpai I don't ever recall seeing a copypasta like that before. Similar ones, sure, but not the same as that user posted.

Napoleonic era sailing appeals to the autistic side of the male brain

I can't

This is in my wife's top three favourite films

What about her son?

He prefers the works of Spike Lee

Jokes on you. She hates blackies.

which is why she finds it so arousing to have sex with them

Can I save this?

>3 months
fresh outta reddit

They just think the two dudes were gay

Concepts such as loyalty, honor, integrity and the warrior spirit itself are utterly alien to a woman. All she cares about is constantly representing herself toward the outside world and bitching about something/making inappropriately snarky and hurtful remarks toward others at every turn

>Memes aside

>the warrior spirit itself

things women will never understand

I went to see this back in 2003 with my friend (we were both 14) and his mother, who was really cool.
We all agreed that is was very long, but otherwise enjoyable.

>Memes aside

Nice try OP

This probably wouldn't be the time to raise the subject of how close Jack and Stephen get to fighting a duel over Diana Villiers. Not that a bunch of shit-thick aliterate wankers like you would know about Patrick O'Brian.

this

you're right about the representation user but we all have an ego, women just have one that is more fragile and dependant on their self-image. bitching is just one of many such manifestations and i feel sorry for you if you've never met a woman who refrains from this cowardly behaviour.

>women
>ego
>fragile
I don't think you know what a fragile ego is, user. No woman would submit to sex if they had an ego.

>women just have one that is more fragile and dependant on their self-image. bitching is just one of many such manifestations

so...most people in this thread and Sup Forums more generally are women? how about that

Who do you think you're kidding mate?

in you get, buster

Don't ever fucking reply to me again unless you're contributing to the thread.

look up the definition of ego, it means to have a sense of self. are you honestly trying to tell me that women don't perceive their environment as being different from themselves?
don't get me wrong user, i hate sluts as much as the next guy. it just seems as though you actually believe that your narrow, shitty life experiences constitute an acceptable opinion. i'd advise you to finish high-school, get out into the world and meet more women, lose your virginity, father some children, live with a woman and then come back here and post your 2 cents on an autonomous taiwanese avocado itinerary board.

If it's something that won't get them attention in some way, they're not interested. Their hobbies include taking pictures of oneself, vanity, self-praise and thinking up ways to word it as if her other hobbies aren't completely selfish.
Anyway, I guess it's because if they text during it and then ask what's happening, men have the balls to say "shut up and watch" unlike any other time with any other movie.

What would happen if the two men in that pic were women instead?

They would look at each other with murdering looks because their outfits are too similiar. Then they would sit as far as possible from each other and post false gossip on twitter about how much of a whore the other one is.

beautifully put

Women have no concept of honoring a higher cause than themselves.
This is why nationalism is so hard to gain traction these days. It only takes one woman to throw a spanner in the works of Man's potential for greatness.

I've always heard about this movie like the ultimate "women will never understand"
I watched it with my mom last week, and I expected a TRUE "women will never understand" like Papillon, Taxi Driver, Midnight Cowboy, Un Homme qui Dort, Once Upon a Time in America, etc.

But it wasn't like that, it had honor, friendship, and feels that only a man could feel... but i expected something else. It's my fault for trusting Sup Forums.

Still a great movie tho, my mom and I loved it.

My husband's daughter quite enjoys it.

>I know perfectly how all women think... these bitches are superficial, selfish and have no honor like ME!

>Women are perfect, immaculate beings. Now if they could just see that I'm the perfect man for them..."

>they glare for a second
>then look away like they weren't
>class lets out
>there's screeching in the halls
>one is on the other and scratching her face

Was Paul Bettany's character an irish spy? I've seen different people comment on it on different threads but I don't remember this fact being alluded to or implied in the film when I saw it.

Because the movie is a metaphor for relationships
From a man's standpoint

It has tons of golden lines
>These people are not your friends
Women in relationships are not your friends, once you treat them as equals they slowly lose respect for you

>Men need to be governed
Etc.

The entire movie is basically about learning to manage bitches

In the books this is true. In the films, however, it's implied that he's a friend of Jack's whom the latter asked to join the mission. They do allude to him being a spy, though.

>3 months

Somebody get this lubbard outta here!

Id swear this was written by a film major, Bravo.

Find me a woman and make her explain honor

A single woman

I dare you

Because it's about homosexuality. Didn't you catch the subtext?

oh man you rekkt me so hard. If you showed women some of the respect they deserve you wouldn't be such a bitter fucking virgin asshole.

>post makes all women sound dumb and all men sound smart
>wow such genius insight.

you dumb cucks need to find a real girl. my gf would definitely understand it

Oh, cool. I don't remember the allusion though, it's been a while since I watched it. Gonna have to rewatch I guess.

>My girl is a REAL GIRL, she's not like these other dumb bitches

Every time
Apex kek

I think the exact quote occurs when they were discussing how the Endevour caught them by surprise to which the Doctor says "The French have their spies... as do we"

t. cuck

>my gf would definitely understand it

So she hasn't actually seen it then?

noice

this is so true!
all women are bitches who don't want to have sex with me
fucking whores, they don't understand the honor of a gentleman

Damn, son.

>your gf
>a woman

I understand this movie and im from london

upboated

I remember first time I got into a serious relationship.
I was so intensely hyped to show her all the stuff I loved, and to enjoy exploring all kinds of movies and fiction with her.

I am now engaged to a different woman, and I've completely given up on the thought of finding a girl who can also function as a human intellect to discuss and explore with.
They're just completely different animals all together. Sadly.

What exactly did you expect? Sup Forums never said that women can't enjoy this film, just that they can't understand it.

you can't know if a women understands it or not

Its kinda true that some woman can't understand the themes of this movie but at the same times it's kinda just used to avoid any actual discussion of this movie.

Somewhat unrelated, but has women ever made anything of consequence?
I know that some great scientific discoveries were made by women (Marie Curie is the only one I can remember, though), but have females ever invented anything advanced and/or interesting?

Not trying to meme on women or anything - I'd really like to know.
Do they not have the same creative drive as we do?

Beautiful.

It's kind of a shitty version but isn't everything a shitty version of master and commander?

>that pic

I hope those guys became good friends, whilst the women is still looking for likes on tumblr

>we will never have another Master and Commander whilst we had 6 Pirates of the caribbean

Fuck this world.

How did this meme even start?

its because the patriarchy has kept them down for so long!

That's a good thing.
Only the first PoTC was really good.
MaC is a self-contained story and does not need (and would not benefit from) further embellishment.

We have hundreds of stories from the books its fucking embellished.

I love this autistic retarded post being right after
This normal helpful post

Thinking about this movie I've seen ages ago... did the movie not have not one single woman in it?

The reason behind this is probably, that they didn't get much of a chance to be creative or inventive because of patriarchy and shit

It had one, but she was only onscreen for a few seconds and didn't speak.

Never change Sup Forums

Well, they've been "free" since the 70's/80's certainly? A lot of insanely innovative shit has been made since then.

>sitting on couch next to gf
>see this thread
>"gf, did you see Master and commander?"
>"yah"
>"did you like it"
>"mmmh not really. it was so violent"
kek

also inb4 no gf

That's a big picture, user