Languages still a major barrier to global science, new research finds

Over a third of new conservation science documents published annually are in non-English languages, despite assumption of English as scientific ‘lingua franca’. Researchers find examples of important science missed at international level, and practitioners struggling to access new knowledge, as a result of language barriers.

>Language barriers continue to impede the global compilation and application of scientific knowledge
>Scientific knowledge generated in the field by non-native English speakers is inevitably under-represented, particularly in the dominant English-language academic journals This potentially renders local and indigenous knowledge unavailable in English
>The real problem of language barriers in science is that few people have tried to solve it. Native English speakers tend to assume that all the important information is available in English But this is not true, as we show in our study
>Ignoring such non-English knowledge can cause biases in our understanding of study systems
>A francophone researcher will always need more time than a native English speaker to produce a paper of equal scientific quality
>Journals, funders, authors and institutions should be encouraged to supply translations of a summary of a scientific publication regardless of the language it is originally published in
>While outreach activities have recently been advocated in science, it is rare for such activities to involve communication across language barriers
>We should see this as an opportunity as well as a challenge. Overcoming language barriers can help us achieve less biased knowledge and enhance the application of science globally

Other urls found in this thread:

lac.wetlands.org/Portals/4/Turberas/Factbook Turberas de TdF 2010.pdf
lac.wetlands.org/Portals/4/Turberas/QUISPE taller Ushuaia mayo 2010.pdf
lac.wetlands.org/Portals/4/Turberas/BLANCO taller Ushuaia mayo 2010.pdf
env.go.jp/nature/biodic/ikilog/index.html
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188333e.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0021/002173/217366s.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188395e.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188395s.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188395f.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

In January 2004, when some dangerous virus of bird flu reappeared widely in the world, Chinese scientists found that one strain, H5N1, had infected pigs. It was an alarming finding because some experts argued that pigs had been a springboard for humans in the 1918 flu pandemic, which killed more than 40 million people worldwide. But very few were aware of this disturbing discovery. It was in Chinese.

Scientists at the Harbin Veterinary Research Institute in northeast China published their findings that January in a Chinese-language Journal. Neither the World Health Organization nor the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations heard about the announcement until more than half a year later, Nature Journal later warned.

Mankind was in greater danger by language barriers

More examples:

The Foundation for the Conservation and Sustainable Use of Wetlands in Argentina has produced a comprehensive report on the role of peatlands/mires/turflands in mitigating climate change, but, it is only in Spanish. "This information is very valuable, but it could be lost if a Scottish scientist, for example, makes a compilation about available knowledge
lac.wetlands.org/Portals/4/Turberas/Factbook Turberas de TdF 2010.pdf
lac.wetlands.org/Portals/4/Turberas/QUISPE taller Ushuaia mayo 2010.pdf
lac.wetlands.org/Portals/4/Turberas/BLANCO taller Ushuaia mayo 2010.pdf

The Japanese Ministry of the Environment has a biodiversity database with one million species records available only in Japanese
env.go.jp/nature/biodic/ikilog/index.html

More:
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188333e.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0021/002173/217366s.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188395e.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188395s.pdf
unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0018/001883/188395f.pdf

See the articles by Yves Gingras and Mosbah-Natanson and another one by Ulrich Ammon

maybe those non english countries should start translating their finds to english

Sounds like you faggots need to get to work adopting English.

Those UK flags should be changed to US flags since US is the country with the largest # of native English speakers.

I might learn Spanish, but I'm not going to learn Japanese. Everyone is going to call me a weeb

We can keep Spanish and Portuguese, but Chinese has got to go

yeah, and the Spanish flags should be changed to mexican flags because México is the country with the most "hispanohablantes", and Portugal flags with Brazilian ones...

please...

Tak nak

>this thread posted again
>too intellectual 4 forchan

you and that PISA spammer, i swear mexicans of int have autism.

Having one language would be great on many levels, but is insanely difficult to implement and I can't imagine it happening anytime within the next few decades. You can choose something with a lot of native speakers like Chinese or English, which are difficult to learn, or try and make something new up.
At the end of the day there really isn't much point in learning another language if you aren't going to interact with the culture or country much. There are phenomenal amounts of Chinese tourists (and even a few residents) here who don't speak a word of english and probably never will.

>using the ROC flag for chinese papers
ahahahah """"people's"""" """"republic"""" BTFO

creating a new lingua franca looks like too much effort to be worth, there is first the number of countries that need to acept every word used and believe me, everyone will like some or most words are similar to their own, it's easier to adopt a language preestablished, like the english, that is so widely acepted

already exist search esperanto

PRC are Simplified characters articles and ROC are Traditional characters

What's your aim with this thread, OP? Trying to convince amerilards to learn more languages? Because I'm pretty sure it ain't working.

The aim of this thread is to raise awareness that languages still a major barrier to global science

have you also tried posting this in /sci/ too?

yes, once

English isn't really as spoken as a lot of people think

Most scientific pages aren't read by anyone regardless of language.

Part of me dies a bit inside, knowing that I will never be able to make friends from other countries because we're divided by language.

ENGLISH ONLY
N
G
L
I
S
H

O
N
L
Y

Every one on Sup Forums is your friend, you dumb wog

I just suppose this graph is about quantitative production. In qualitative terms, my bet is 1st English, 2nd German and 3rd Japanese.

Based on?

Just learn another language you cunt

> >A francophone researcher will always need more time than a native English speaker to produce a paper of equal scientific quality
It's almost like universities should hire translators or something.