law thread

ask a law student anything
about where to apply, how to get in, how to do well, etc

also 0Ls/1Ls/2Ls/3Ls/JDs/esqs check in
ny 3L here

Other urls found in this thread:

instagram.com/sarahfuckingsnyder
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

How about you complete your studies first before offering advice you uppity faggot

What law school do you go to?

are you a fucking retard
i'm offering advice about getting into law school and doing well
the right person to give advice is a law student
learn to read faggot

Way to get the point of the thread.

a law school in nyc
don't want to get too detailed

Oh look. It's a fucking law student who thinks he's doing something worth noting.

I know about 40 friends who have law degrees. All with 120k in debt. And making 60k a year.

is she legal?

/thread

OP: Fuck off.

T14 at least?

NYC Could mean anything from Columbia to Cardozo.

>Law school
Med student here, LMAOing at your life

nice job samefagging samefag

your friends make 60k a year because they're dumbfucks who went to toilet tier schools
which almost certainly means you're a dumbfuck who went to a toilet tier school

have fun serving my kids food user

>esqs
Reporting in.

Here's some legit advice, OP: Fucking run. Now. The money's not worth it.

You know a bunch of stupid people when when to bad schools. Doesn't mean much.

>You know a bunch of stupid people when when to bad schools.
>stupid people
>when when

lol
now you're just embarrassing yourself samefag

what's the matter, depressed you're living in mommy's basement?
don't worry kiddo, some day you'll make it out your dead end minimum wage job

until then, i do want fries with that, tyvm

yup

i'm LOLing at your massive student debt medfag

yea that's what i hear
end goal isn't private practice tho, it's academia
after clerking going to do a few years at a firm to make money, then getting out

I'll take auto-correct typos over being one of your 40 friends with 120k in debt making shitty money because they went to bad schools.

What were you stats? And did you land a scholarship

Quit

Go to med school or head to Wall Street

My girlfriends care was broken into in a parking garage near her work. Nothing was stolen but this is the second time this has happened since she's moved to the city, and as you can imagine replacing the window is expensive. My question is how liable is the parking garage for the damage and how liable could they have been if she instead used the free valet service they offer.

exact stats would out me
it was over 75ths for lsat & gpa
yes, here on scholly

im SHITing on you both
Engineer here

>after clerking going to do a few years at a firm to make money, then getting out
I've been out for 7 years now. I've heard that story a hundred times. It never works that way. When you get in to that culture, it becomes a fucking drug. You make a shit ton of money, but you also have to spend a shit ton of money to keep up with the expected lifestyle. Then, when it's been five years and you reach the point that you were planning to pull the rip chord, you realize that you can't give it up---emotionally or financially.

If you want to go into academia, then do a couple of clerkships and just fucking skip the firm life. If you really want some real litigation experience, then don't go the route of big silk stocking firms. Find a small to medium sized boutique firm where people actually have lives and don't take shit too seriously.

But yeah, the "I'm going to make money for a few years and then do what I really want" plan never works.

planning on going into academia

no interest in medicine

wall st is unlikely right now
my post-clerkship firm would position me pretty well to go in house after a few years
we'll see, golden handcuffs is legit possibility
but i'm viewing practice as a residency basically (that pays well)

You're insanely paranoid. Out you to who? Do you think the administrators at your school are looking at this site? Or do you go around tell everyone you know your stats?

damn
yeah that makes sense. i can see that happening esp b/c nyc has fuckign shit COL
gives me something to think about thx

I've been out five years and know tons of people stuck in the big firm life. Once they suck you in, it's hard to get out.

I sold my soul and started doing personal injury right out of law school. Once you get past the stigma, it's fucking great. No billable hours, come and go as you please, and make dam good money doing it (at least in my state b/c it's like the wild west around here).

Best decision I ever made. I've been making six figures since my first year out working right at 40 hours a week.

if you looked up my stats on lawschoolnumbers and knew i was a 3L at a ny school, you'd find my profile in literally 5 seconds
my profile which lists my law school, undergrad, undergrad major, and a bunch of other shit about me
how is this remotely paranoid to not want to publish that on Sup Forums

>steals signs instead of voting
fuck, i hate americans so much. if they had voted they would've gotten what they wanted.

how big is the firm? or did you hang a shingle?

Started out in an advertising firm with 10 lawyers and an 80 person staff. Then left there and for the past two years have been at a small firm- three lawyers and five staff members. Can be busy, but overall a nice work-life balance

This seems weird to me.

How many people even get the chance to decide to stay in biglaw after a few years? They've either left, or they're forced out because they don't have any partnership prospects.

The fact that a huge amount (a majority?) after 2-3 years makes it seem like it's not that hard to avoid being sucked in.

i wonder if there's a bit of a gender divide here
at my firm, it's like 50/50 male/female first years
but mid-levels and up it's clearly male dominated
makes me think women have an easier time off ramping than men
(either that or my firm is sexist as fuck lol)

2L checking in.

>>Putting off outlining too?

Around here most of the big firms keep people around even if they aren't on the "partner track." We have so much litigation going on, it's insane. I mean we have literally thousands of plaintiffs' lawyers each with hundreds of cases. So the defense firms have plenty of work to go around.

It may just be we have different definitions of "big law." I will admit I do not know how New York big law operates. I'm talking about the large defense firms in a large southern city.

How does it feel, being a leech on society?

shes 21

Most laws are fucking retarded how could anyone take most of it seriously

Ass raped by the system
top kek

Lawyers are the worst.

Like I get how its a good living and sometimes needed but for 90% it's a living spent being a leaching nigger, so fuck you for making the world worse, asshole

ha
yea straight up 3LOLing at this point
haven't done jack shit for exams
(tho been working my ass off on my note tbf)

southern big law sounds nice
better COL, comparable pay
bet the hours are better too

how does it feel to be a leech on mommy and daddy you neckbeard

I'm talking big firms in major cities. The 180k club.

Most people aren't around to just "stick around" because they are making like 350k by 5th year. Too much for the firm to justify keeping them around.

Assuming I have a shit GPA but a college degree, could I do well on the LSATs and get into a mediocre school?

Tried some of the GF's practice LSATs and got a 165. I could probably do better if I practice. GPA is like a 2.3 with multiple Fs.

damn i didn't know there was more of her
lol you have a link to the set by chance??

don't worry, judges don't
(sry that's the holmes in me coming out)

yea fight the power!!!!
make a difference!!!1!!!1
(srsly tho, did you even bother reading the thread?)

Says the twinkie who is only alive due to the law.

now this i can speak to

1) did you prepare for that practice LSAT, or did you get the 165 "cold"?
2) did you go to a very prestigious ug, or have a hard science major?
3) is the 2.3 an LSAC calculated gpa, or the gpa from your ug? also does the 2.3 reflect your gpa across all of the schools you attended (for example, if you transferred at some point?)

I read it and I do wish you happiness, it's just a profession that does more harm than good

Went to a mediocre school, took Chinese. Grades are a mixed bag. I got a decent number of As, but ran into a professor who didn't like me. There are also some bad grades from pure laziness. GPA is just a straight calculation with no transfers.

I took the LSAT cold.

instagram.com/sarahfuckingsnyder

Is there any need for engineers in law for patent reasons?

This is such a weird sentiment to me. A lot of lawyers are shit, but they also have the opportunity to do a huge amount of good. And a whole bunch of them do it. They just don't get any coverage.

then you don't really understand the profession
that's like saying "business is a profession that does more harm than good"
there are evil lawyers who patent troll and write torture memos and do all kinds of shit like that
there are also prosecutors who put away murderers and civil rights attorneys and policymakers
and people who are probably neutral, helping companies organize and families prepare wills and trusts, etc etc
the latter two categories outweigh the first category by a mile

165 cold will probably be 170s with practice
take it, see what happens. i've seen people in the 2.4 range squeak into northwestern with a mid/high-170s lsat. gulc and uva are also friendly to heavy splitters
with mid/high-170s lsat/2.4, i think it's more likely you end up topping out somewhere in the T20s (not a real thing, but i'm using it here as a shorthand)
there are a fair number of schools willing to forgive a very low gpa if you have a very high lsat. because rankings are influenced by medians, not means
so i'd say study and give it a shot. if you really kill it, you can get into a decent school, maybe even a good one

Why is it legal for white men to have sex?

>instagram.com/sarahfuckingsnyder
thank you Sup Forumsro

absolutely
i have a friend at the law school w/ an engineering degree who is patent bar eligible
i have no idea what that practice is like, but i know that firms w/ serious ip practices hire lawyers with hard science backgrounds

You only weigh 165? Damn start lifting and eating more.

Is there a statute of limitations on statutory rape?

We get a bad impression because nobody goes to an attorney until they've gotten themselves in one fuck of a pickle. In most cases, people would be better off hiring an attorney long before they do.
We also tend to come off as cold and dispassionate. Studying law entails 70+ hours per week for three years -- essentially learning how to solve problems by learning how the worst problems were solved. In hundreds of pages of gruesome detail. I'm sorry if your rather ordinary problem is the worst thing that's ever happened to you, but don't forget that you're in my office because I can keep calm and get shit handled.

since i'm just a student, i'll defer to others on substantive law Qs, except to say that this will vary by state and you can probably answer this question yourself by googling your state's statutory rape statute

It's within the penumbra of their right to privacy.

Suck my fucking dick. You're the scum of the earth. I'm a winner like Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen.

It's cute how you think a law student has feelings to hurt.

But I'd love to suck your dick. Let's see it, big boy.

wow this is really going off the rails

anyone else's law school melting down b/c of trump

Which state?

2L here in note mode too. Due Monday. Which journal are you on? Corporate law journal here

she fucks niggers for attention because its politically correct

I graduated this year, British university, first class honours. Decided it isn't for me.

Yeah what he said. Law schools weigh lsat heavily. Even if you go to a low-ish teir school, if you do a good job and you're near a city, you'll make 80k+ out of school with not much trouble. Don't listen to the other fuck ups in this thread tbh

flagship journal

note has been a shitton of work but i've enjoyed it
way more interesting than my classes lol

Cool story, fuck up

what are you doing instead?

Yeah, you've got that right. Squeezing this note out, then hoping to get a somewhat cushy editor spot next year. Which state if you don't mind me asking?

At what point is it the 'hardest'? I've vaguely heard that 1Ls can get crushed with the workload, but haven't heard any corroboration.

Who would bother getting an LL.M?

ny, you?

>Studying law entails 70+ hours per week for three years

3L reporting in. This is bullshit and nobody actually believes it. Everyone just repeats it and many other lies like it because making our program sound oh so challenging and intense validates our self-image and the image of the institutions we study at.

It's despicable. Everyone hates us because our profession is full of self-important assholes who say stupid bullshit like that. The only thing I hate more than all of my shithead classmates is myself for not coming up with something better to do with my life.

>be frugal for 3-5 years
>free and clear
not bad tbh

Thanks. The only reason I am considering law school is that my gf is applying to one, and her dad owns a law firm. I did Chinese in college and speak/read/write the language with relative competency, so the door is pretty much open to whatever I can do while also having Chinese as a skill.

That's more marketable than you realize. Best of luck to you

also what do you consider a cushy editor job

depending on your school
1L is hardest b/c most people are working hard
by 2L most ppl have jobs (again, depending on your school) so like half the class is coasting. workload is much easier class-wise, but journal and clinics and extracurriculars beat you to a pulp
3L you realize you're killing yourself for nothing, so you take easy classes, give all the shitty journal work to 2Ls, and coast
that's my story at least

LLMs are for foreign students
or ppl who want to go into tax
other than that, very few good reasons to get an LLM

>girl sends you nudes
>both underage
>you grow older
>What do?

>still get charged for pedophilia
>fucking liberals

70 hrs a wk sounds pretty high to me
(tho tbh i do hit that during finals usually)

yea, seems like it could be useful in law
ive seen job postings looking for chinese speakers, i imagine it could be in demand on the transactional side (idk this for a fact tho)
but do u actually want to practice law? have you worked at a firm before? my advice is, don't go to law school unless you're sure you want to go into law
it's not a good fallback option

How hard is it? How often do you party?

It depends. I have friends who work their ass off and are below median; I also have friends who are total slackers and have done great. Speaking only for myself, I have found law school pretty challenging, and given my background, I was not prepared for the amount of theory involved (this probably varies by school).

Also, it depends on what you're looking to get out of it. It can be rigorous if you want it to be rigorous; it can be a joke if you want it to be a joke.

I party two or three times a week.

Thanks man, I'm going to Sussex Law School in England in a few years hopefully, I live in Canada currently but I'm pretty excited

nice, good luck user