How was your Friday Sup Forums?

How was your Friday Sup Forums?
> car broke down and I had to get it towed
> mechanic told me that the timing belt broke and that I needed a new engine
> either pay $3100 or get a new car
> going to have to buy a new car because the fee is close to the price of the car
> gotta burden my mother to drive me to work for a bit
> good thing it's thanksgiving break at the college, would have made the situation worse

>Driving myself and two buddies home for thanksgiving break
>Sitting at redlight at complete stop
>Out of nowhere get rear ended by car going at least 45 and smash into the car in front of us
>my car is totaled but at least none of us are injured

Meant to say it smashed into us and made us hit the car ahead of us

Ouch man, I'm hoping that you have full coverage on your car. Helped my mother a while back when her car was totaled.

>midnight
>take 5 50mg diphenhydramine gels to get some sleep
>try to sleep but feet are cold and keep me awake
>2am
>get up
>take two more gels
>play watch dogs 2 while I wait for them to kick in
>body gets heavy and weak
>fall into bed
>legs keep having small muscle spasms that keep me awake
>4am
>get up again and play more watch dogs 2
>8am
>finally manage to get to sleep
>1pm
>knock on the door wakes me up
>my helium finally arrived
>go back to sleep
>6pm
>go to Culver's for a burger
>jerk off
>9:45pm now
>went to theater
Now I'm waiting for my movie to start.

Spent my day collimating a beam of light through six gold plated lenses into a hexagonal aluminum mirror through a set of six calcium fluoride lenses to bounce off a fast acting amtir lens into a series of coated prisms out to another set of negatively positioned calcium lenses through fiber optic cables pointing all in the exact same position onto a sensor on a chip board.

It was a long tedious day.

That's a serious case of insomnia there friend. How long has It been like that for you?
Forgot to say it's a good thing none of you got injured. Bad drivers seem to be increasing these days.

What do you do for a living user?

>left the house at 7am for work
>get home from work around 7pm
>shower
>hits from the bong
>Netflix
>Sup Forums
Just a regular ass day for me

Couple weeks, at first I couldn't sleep because I kept worrying about my life so I started taking the gels to get to sleep but they've been getting less and less effective.

I'm an optical engineer. I design optical components for guided missile systems and other applications.

Currently assembling a telescopic design of mine that's turning into a real pain.

And guess who can build an engine from scrap and turn a used car with a 'broken' engine for a profit?

The same guy who told you your engine is fucked? You would be better off learning how to fix it yourself.
Get a moped. Use the extra money you get from selling the car for scraps on something cool. Like an original pressing LP, unopened.

My football team lost. We've been undefeated until tonight. Third round of the playoffs. 7-26.

What do you think of stuff from Melles Griot? Overpriced or worth it?

I feel no sympathy for you. In the owners manual it states when the timing belt should be changed after how many kms. Usually 150000. Altogether getting it replaced is 300

>timing belt broke
>$3100
unless the timing being off fucked shit up bad
that mechanic is trying to get over on you
get a second opinion
and then learn some basic auto mechanic skills so you can:
>avoid fucking up future cars
>make minor repairs on your own for 1/4 what mechanics will charge
>know when a mechanic is feeding you shit

Never used any of their stuff. I use a lot of Thorlabs.

When the timing belt breaks, it usually causes the valves to smash into the piston. The motor pretty much crashes into itself and sometimes it can be just a new head or a completely new motor.

A bad timing belt leads to major engine damage on a lot of cheaper model cars. Hondas are pretty much junk if you don't replace your belt before it goes bad.

You're an idiot. If the timing chain blows in an engine the pistons hit the valves and bend them. You'd have to tear the entire engine apart and replace the valves and likely the pistons. If OP isn't a mechanic or doesn't have access to a shop with speciality tools he can't do shit. The cost to overhaul an engine is huge and generally not worth it.

still
a used V6 engine in good condition will run ~$1000
and honest mechanics charge roughly the same amount for labor as they do for parts
so that is ~$2000 for a V6
if OP had a 4 cylinder a new engine would, professionally installed, should be no more than $1800

and if you know how to turn a wrench you can do the labor yourself
although the fact that OP let his timing get so fucked up that he ruined his engine tells me that he won't be able to put in sweat equity

>The cost to overhaul an engine is huge and generally not worth it.
which is why most dyi mechanics just replace the engine

WARNING! Carry on reading! Or you will die, even if you only looked at the word warning! Once there was a little girl called Clarissa, she was ten-years-old and she lived in a mental hospital, because she killed her mom and her dad. She got so bad she went to kill all the staff in the hospital so the More-government decided that best idea was to get rid of her so they set up a special room to kill her, as humane as possible but it went wrong the machine they were using went wrong. And she sat there in agony for hours until she died. Now every week on the day of her death she returns to the person that reads this letter, on a Monday night at 12:00 a.m. She creeps into your room and kills you slowly, by cutting you and watching you bleed to death. Now send this to ten other pictures on this one site, and she will haunt someone else who doesn't. This isn't fake. apparently, if you copy and paste this to ten comments in the next ten minutes you will have the best day of your life tomorrow.You will either get kissed or asked out, if you break this chain u will see a little dead girls.............................

Try melatonin and chamomile tea instead of diphenhydramine.

Hi drake

>timing belt broke
>need new engine

Are you retarded. That's like a couple dollars to fix unless you destroyed the cam shaft In the process

A few of you are idiots. Mechanics do not charge part prices for labor. They go by the shop manual which states hours required for a job. So assuming a motor is 1000 freedom bucks and the shop charges 80$/hr that's roughly a 30 hour job. Which isn't bad for a new motor.

Timing belt failure isn't caused by being out of time, belts just wear out. It's why I run chains.

Timing belt failure is only terrible on interference cars which are generally high performance (not a 3100 dollar motor car) so I'd definitely get a second opinion. A timing belt plus timing job should be no more than maybe 600 Obama bucks.

T. Mechanic

Nigger fucking what. Timing belts are cunts. Easily a 300 dollar job for just the belt.

No, you're just a pussy.
You can make your own engine lift. You can buy all the tools for less than 100 dollars. And the scrap pieces probably come in flocks to mechanics, who already have all the necessary tools to replace or build any engine, let alone cars.

Which let's not forget, or ignore, is probably every mechanic's hobby; building cars, if not building little plastic cars.
If you can read, you can learn anything. And most mechanics go to school to learn how to do the shit they half-ass do. Try to fucking convince Sup Forums that mechanics are all good people, just go ahead and try. Because that shit, ain't happening.

By the way, have you ever heard of Youtube?

OP is a retard for not knowing how to put a timing belt on. He could skip the labor fee that shops exaggerate for the cost of a couple hours setting up the belt and retiming it.

>timing belt broke
>need new engine

lol ok then

Nigger. Unless you're mistakenly referring to a serpentine belt (the easily visible one at the front) you're retarded or trolling me. You need specialty tools and to know what the fuck you're doing.

Interference fit engines, if the belt breaks it fucks up the valves. So yeah, replace belt, rebuild block. About 3k+ its better to drop a crate in or get a new car.

Fully possible
What the fuck are you on about? A torque wrench alone is over 100 dollars.

> taking care of three different projects at work, yet manager thinks for some reason I have nothing to do
> wife is being more useless than usual because everybody's acting like retards online (even more than usual)
> roommate is being an inconsiderate prick, leaving his shit all over the place, buying up anything that strikes his fancy yet crying poverty when it comes to household shit
> mother calls to tell me she wants me to find a house/condo to buy instead of paying rent but they just changed mortgage rules and rates are going up and I live in one of the most expensive markets in the country

Everybody wants me to be the fucking adult.
I just want to play my copy of Pokemon Sun.

Socket set
Torque wrench
Combination wrenches
Screwdrivers
Drain pan
Antifreeze
Jack and jack stands
I have all this shit in my garage rn
You can get this shit for 200 dollars easy. With a little knowledge on how to get the belt out by removing stuff in front like the radiator it's an easy job and will only take a few hours

>had baconator for lunch
>bf and I went to his buddy's place
>his buddy's wife gave me an apple pie moonshine
>had pizza for supper
>finished a bottle of Smirnoff ice and a couple of shots of moonshine
>passed out
>bf put a Facebook profile photo of me on my account after years of not having any profile picture
>got drunk some more
>passed out
>anal seks
>woke up feeling like there's a turd hanging out of my ass
>shower
>a bit drunk still
How's yours, b?

Again. You mean serpentine belt. Not the timing belt. Timing belt is easily a 2 day job and I'm a mechanic by hobby and profession. A torque wrench that will measure accurately enough to keep a motor from shitting itself in the long run is over 100 dollars. Everything else you could skimp on. But add in quality jackstands so as to not die and you're already over 200. Motors are tight and finicky. We don't even know what he drives. If it's German or fwd you're talking a hard ass job. Not to mention setting timing is not beginner shit.

You obviously have no sense of price ranges. I could get a torque wrench for 50 bucks and nigger rig the jacks and drain pan

Nigger. You obviously have no sense of safety or quality. I own 4 torque wrenches. My most expensive is over 700$ my goddamn impact gun for big trucks was almost 1200$. My toolbox was 5000$ EMPTY. You can't use shitty torque wrenches on the internals of a motor. You can't risk your life over a hundred dollar set of jackstands.

don't get triggered bro, I believe you over him

I'm not. I just hate people that demean the hard work we do. I get it, some mechanics will rip you off in a heartbeat but some of us do it for a love of the job and cars.

Second insomniac. Melatonin doesn't do Shit for me. Neither does a whole bottle of Z-Quil

You eat like a king (or queen?)
>Woke up right about noon
>something something had to be in Compton soo-wait...
>Wake up at about 5:30 for work
>Lie in bed contemplating whether or not I should take my savings and go to France
>nah, maybe tomorrow
>Get booted and suited
>took me about 20 minutes to start my 87' intruder
>fitted and welded a 10' ravine with a flush contour
>working over time today so I was rather excited when lunch came about
>I forgot my lunch
>continued on until my shift ended
>got payed (very shitty pay)
>Now I'm contemplating breaking up with my ungrateful and neglectful girlfriend
>will leave to hang out with cousin in a few
Pray I don't get hit by a drunk driver Sup Forums

you in mn?

why the fuck do you have helium?
you an heroing or throwing a kids birthday party?

>an heroing or throwing a kids birthday party
most memorable birthday ever

>torque wrench over 100 bucks
wow you must not know how to shop either

nigger thats like buying a modern gibson over an epiphone
more time than not. youre paying for the name

It's almost like some people realize the certain tools are worth splurging on. Especially when things need to be precise down to a tenth of an inch/pound

You're a fucking idiot.

Shit I splurged on my kitchen knives but a wrench is a wrench
>fuck yo 10th of "s

>ALL ABOARD THE CUNNILINGUS TRAIN
how the fuck did this come through 60's television censorship?