Hey guys I need some help on improving my guitar sound... what should I buy? a new amp, new pedals...

hey guys I need some help on improving my guitar sound... what should I buy? a new amp, new pedals, multieffect or a new guitar? I have a peavey vypyr 75w, this boss ds-2 pedal and a ibanez RG-350DX. what should I buy?

Other urls found in this thread:

guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/Classic-50-212-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-112665551.gc
youtube.com/watch?v=nENWWLrFmPY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a life

Boss Delay DD-3
it's a fucking good pedal

here's a pic btw

What kind of sound are you going for? Genre? It all depends.

Learn some fucking music theory and stop
spending your money on useless pedals that you\
can emulate for free on FL studio you fuckwit.

>You can emulate for free on FL studio
Yeah but not live

Ditch the vyper and get a peavey ValveKing

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/Valve-King-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-112507480.gc?cntry=us&source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CJbyiZ2qtNACFVhMDQodwxIKrg&kwid=productads-adid^57619015002-device^c-plaid^143202143082-sku^112507480@ADL4GC-adType^PLA

Can find some good used deals and a tube amp is going to be the biggest improvement to your tone

Fuck pedals if you really want a sound change your preamp and amp have everything to do with the sound in an electric. ALL tonewood is bullshit and most pedals are just effects or will add to the butt mudd if your amp sucks. PLEASE tell me you don't own line6 shit either.

Buy excellent pickups appropriate to your style and buy a really good amp, there's no point to anything else.

a personal favorite, works great from my marshall to my shitty vox portable

oops, pic related

You seriously think you can convince me that >you
play events when you ask for gear advice from
this degenerate board?

Pedals are outdated unless you actually do analog recording and mastering like Jack White,
They're mostly just frivolous and for dumbdumbs who don't know how to use presets on a digital effects controller.

Pick up a different instrument and learn how to play and write actual music ya dingus.

>digital effects controller
Never heard of that. Explain?

Get a rack multi effect unit. Holy fuck did that change my life. I had a older one by Roland called the gp100 or something. I had that along with a rack tuner and rack noise gate for shows and did great. Had a shitty peavey xxl with a crate cabinet. Guitar was schecter elite 7

Yeah next time I play a gig I'll just say fuck my mesa and pedalboard and just run everything through FL studio. If you can prove FL reverb sounds better than an MXR or Strymon Big sky pedal I'll shut my mouth

Learn to play notes instead of just strumming you faggot piece of shit

/thread

Aww shit, Bam Margera died.

im playing pop punk and punk rock

some alternative too

first of all,,, FL is a shit I use studio one... AND I don't know how I will use FL studio live... asshole

I was told that the valveking is not that good...

Just get an amp sim then try out a bunch of shit
EQing and technique go a long ways as well. Start with all dials at noon then make start fucking with it.

Do you know how many brands I can name and in what order?
Do you have any idea how many times I've played stairway to heaven at guitarcentre?

Flanger could be neat for certain areas. Definitely a fuzz pedal as well.

Better than a Vypr.
Not sure what your price range is, but there's some good tube amps for the low. Blackstar is another good one, but they go up to about $500. A Peavey Classic 50 is another decent one you can pick up for around $250

i run my bass through that sometimes, it's pretty Boss

pls r8 my setup 先輩

I have around 400$

never thought to do that with a bass, will try next time

My mom bought me the budget metalhead starterkit to cover Nothing Else Matter and sometimes Wonderwall /20

you should find new gear bro... that line6 is not that good and I don't think that anything from behringer could be good

Try this

guitarcenter.com/Used/Peavey/Classic-50-212-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-112665551.gc

At 50 watts you'd be plenty loud and a 2x12 is a pretty solid setup with your boss distortion and ibanez. I'd check some demos on youtube so you can hear the tone also, but it's really all about you the player plays it.

I bought it myself, I'm 35 after all. Pretty happy with the value I got for about $160 for everything in the pic (including the RG in the back).

I know it's all shit but it's my first set of gear and after 6 months of playing I'm still not at the point where I would know whether I sound like shit because my gear is shit, or because I'm just shit at playing it.

I didn't try Nothing Else Matters, but Seek and Destroy feels really fucking satisfying to play once I got it down.

Any of you anons got any tips on recording bass guitar? That's a thick signal.

Just get an Orange tube amp, push the gain knob.

In that case you should get rid of the multi effect. Just use it to find what you like and buy the real stuff. You'll just need one or two pedals, then make yourself a treat and get a nice 5 or 10w tube amp. It's normal to be shit after 6months, just keep on playing and have fun.

Not using Hughes-Kettner or Mesa.. No wonder this place has gone to shit. Pick up a Duesenberg 49er or Hagstrom Super Swede and start playing some rhythm and blues. The get a DL4 and DD20 with a Silver Spring Reverb and Ross Compressor.

That is all you need.

I'm guessing you have an amp/cabinet already right?
Ideally if you've got a decent interface and preamp, the best way is to get a DI box and record through that. Most amps will have direct outs on the back that will do the trick also. If you want to mix in a mic sound, a shure sm57 would work for picking up all the bass mids you want and it's pretty affordable, but you definitely want to record direct first to save all that low end.

get a 5150 or a dual rectifier

ds-2 is one of the shittier boss pedals, but good god replace that amp.

What do you mean by direct? We want to record live. It's a 4 piece band, including drums, keyboard, guitar and bass. The Bass signal always comes in too strongly.

I'll give it another year or two before I start buying real stuff, but yeah, I'm having endless fucking fun with it and only regret I didn't start 20 years ago.

The PocketPod is shit but less shit than the modeling in that amp and it's good for experimenting. And sometimes I use it as a buffer with just slightly gated clean signal when recording to PC.

It would have been actually amazing if I could plug a controller keyboard directly into it with keys mapped to different presets, but seems like the only way to change the presets remotely is with the absolute horseshit Line6 software on the PC. Shame.

are you just using one mic to record live?

Yeah at the moment. The mic is put up a few inches from the amp and recorded. Also, could you explain what DI box does? I found the following but still can't quite understand what some of the stuff means:

A DI unit is a device typically used in recording studios to connect a high-impedance, line level, unbalanced output signal to a low-impedance, microphone level, balanced input, usually via XLR connector. DIs are frequently used to connect an electric guitar or electric bass to a mixing console's microphone input.

Look at your amp as an instrument... Use guitar volume for distortion.

I don't get why anybody uses real guitars anymore.

You can randomize synths to exactly approximate the sound of a real guitar for a fraction of the cost, and have MUCH better customization.

I mean, I guess I understand that having hardware is a nice feeling, but with software you can duplicate the "hardware" freely and experience much greater creativity.

That said, I shouldn't really complain. Less competition for me.

Exactly approximate? Suuuure.... Nice b8, dude.

Okay bad wording. What I meant was:

Exactly as in sounds exactly like

Approximate as in "like the real thing"

Obviously it's an "approximation," but you're kidding yourself if you think that it can't sound just like a guitar to anybody who's not literally trying to be difficult.

A DI box pretty much gives you the highest quality sound you can get when recording. Whatever you're recording into, it will give you a balanced input, which means less noise than unbalanced inputs (Instrument cables) and since instrument cables are at what's called Instrument level, a DI box will convert it to line level for recording, which sounds better than recording at inst. level into a computer/console

Neat. Thanks they're pretty cheap too. Any particular one you would recommend?

First you say 'randomize'. Then the 'exactly approximate'... From your post it can only be inferred that you don't know much about true synthesis, sound design, or guitars. One can try and make an 'approximation' of pretty much any audible sound with different synthesis techniques and sound design, but it isn't the same as the real thing...there is still this kind of 'uncanny valley' thing happening...'trying to be difficult' has nothing to do with it. Instruments like analog synths and guitars and electromechanical key instruments have something organic, a kind of unique acoustic and or electroacoustic signature about them that can't be truly replicated. Not a purist. Use both hardware and software. They are different.

Yeah, rack mount multi-fx rule.
I've got an ART FXR elite, ART MultiVerb Alpha 2.0 and a surprisingly good considering how cheap I got it Behringer Virtualizer Pro.

Radials are great the JDI is one of the best you can get, but they also make the ProDI for $99 which is still bitchin'.

honestly - get a half decent acoustic. Something that forces you to play well. something that you can experiment with toget better tone, better sounds, better fingering, better clarity. something that you will have to listen to and actually play to make it sound better, not just a box to plug in and make a whole lot of new sounding noise with

I get what you're saying, but I resent that people spend money on non-innovative hardware from the 80s that is basically perfeectly emulatable with software.

Why not help support innovation and the future of music with your money, instead of just throwing all your money to hardware that hasn't evolved, and will never evolve?

It's not a mentality that I understand or have any sympathy for.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Last thing. What's the difference between passive and active DIs?

Any time

How do you suggest replicating all the endless variables of how the actual act of playing of the guitar affects the sound? Fingering technique, strumming and picking technique, varying levels of palm muting, string sliding noise, strength of hammer-ons and pull-offs, not to mention all the timing and technique imperfections caused by the human factor that make the final sound organic rather than 100% canned?

Good luck not spending half a lifetime accounting for all those different inputs, assuming you even had a synth that could replicate them, instead of just grabbing the instrument that can actually do all this right here and now.

Do you play any instruments at a higher than a beginner level?

Active DI's need a power source. Some will have a spot for a 9v or need phantom power through a mixer/interface. They also have a stronger signal. If your bass needs a 9v, I'd go with a passive. If it doesn't need a battery, get the active one.

stop listening to everyone else and develope your own sound. you can buy a $100 amp with built in effects these days, it's a small one but it's a good practice amp to steer you in the direction you may want to go. work with sound the way you would work with breathing or touching. feel it. then see what happens and then experiment with other guitars and such.

i know i'm late to this thread, but that's how i feel

Simplest response I have the energy to give you: obviously there is room for innovation.

Maybe hardware is okay for now, but only slightly. Besides performance there is no point to learning instruments besides maybe keyboard now. Automating and programming is very minimal effort for the "human" element, and will be no effort soon.

I respect the effort in learning a music instrument in that it shows discipline, but it is not necessary now, and definitely won't be later.

Used to play classical guitar and also piano, but neither is helpful professionally so I don't have the time.

>Besides performance
what else is there?

Thanks again

???

I get that before the vinyl record player you had to have live performers if you wanted to hear a piece, but recorded music is pretty common these days.

What are you getting at??

Course man, happy recording!

Sorry dude, hands make 90% of the sound. It's fun to buy stuff but go for improving yourself. If u got only a small amount of money save it, if u got 1500 usd buy a good guitar. Pedals are good only for effects, not sound. A good amp may help better with distortion, but depends on the genre you play.

Neither is helpful?!??!? This is the mentality responsible for the death of musicianship...
I don't think you do get it...The man machine interface has something in it that digital timecode can't emulate. It is the 'imperfection' and human mental timewarp that translates to something more communicably human that machine alone can pull off. A lot of recordings don't sound as good as they used to for this reason...
It's about transmission of FEELING more than sequence. Sequence is the piece of paper, not the words. You'd get it the second you played one chord on a Les Paul through a JCM, or the second you hit one note on a Model D through some good monitors...If everything is totally easy to emulate why do studios still use studio musicians? I give up.....

how much money do you make selling your records these days, hmmmm?

the days of the millionaire rock star from selling records is over except for a few of the corporate types, and that will end soon. live performance is back and will soon be the only way to make a buck at this, we are over the hump in the bell curve so to speak

>Musicians aren't needed for music anymore.
O.....K.....

>Automating and programming is very minimal effort for the "human" element, and will be no effort soon.

Sure, with enough technology and resources. Chess will be solved almost certainly in our lifetimes, Go will be solved eventually.

But ask yourself, why do that? Why make the immense fun and satisfaction of learning and playing guitar irrelevant? Why ensure that there are no more rock starts and rock concerts, only glorified DJs pressing "play" button for the audience?

Why destroy one of the most fun and universal forms of entertainment there is? Pic related, fuck this shit seriously.

>Why make the immense fun and satisfaction of learning and playing guitar irrelevant?

you might as well make being a human irrelevant. and that's probably where this is heading. fuck them, i'll be there in the end with my strat and my .45

Listen to Pet Sounds.

>you could have prevented this

Man VR is getting out of hand.

Sorry for the late response, had the [口 Auto] box unchecked and didn't see the replies.

Music, and creative expression are evolving and becoming greater than before.

I think that what you posted (Hatsune Miku) is an interesting alternative to current DJ/Band performances, although I don't care for vocaloids.

Regardless, as the potential for creative expression increases, the necessesity of performance decreases.

While the craftsmanship involved in playing the guitar may be fun, it's already hardly more than a hobby in any context.

I think that taking the time to make a perfect chessboard is honorable, and may be rewarding for some; however, no real chess player is concerned by the board he is playing on. The board the chess-board-maker makes is nothing more than a hobby that satisfies himself.

Similary, the base upon which play music is not where we should place our concerns. It is the game itself that we play, the creation of music that we should immerse ourselves in, and the depths that software allows for is not even comparible to what was possible before. Those fighting it, while nobly fighting for their craft, are not those who will be creating the interesting products from here on out.

Of course, if performances pay your bills, please keep at it and enjoy your job!!!! I apologize if I sounded discouraging, but it is all love.

Regardless, I'm going to sleeep. Have a good night all.

Interesting products, huh...
Whatever happened to interesting art?

>Similary, the base upon which play music is not where we should place our concerns. It is the game itself that we play, the creation of music that we should immerse ourselves in, and the depths that software allows for is not even comparible to what was possible before. Those fighting it, while nobly fighting for their craft, are not those who will be creating the interesting products from here on out.

this is what will destroy the human race. shit like this. thank god i'll be dead before it happens

He likely means one of those multi-effect pedals. like pic related. I bought one of these ten years ago and I still use it to this day for two reasons. Convenience, and decent effects. You can get most of what the pedals you'd be buying do to the tune of 100-200 bucks. Better value imo.

all this means is any idiot can be a musician. push a button and regurgitate everything that was preprogrammed over the past month and 2 days. this way, the no talent assholes can be rock stars as well, cause that's what they always aspired to. hurrahh!!!!!! we're all equal now!!!! go karl !!!!!

Superficial ideology of hollow people in a virtual world. This user seemingly can't comprehend that one can't 'play' music without anything to play it on.

> hurrr durrr composers have no talent and anybody can be one

i just bought a head that has all that built in. i loop my wah pedal in the back and i'm gold, i can use all those separate pedals i have from over the years for doorstops. ain't tech great?

ValveKing 2 is killer.

Got mine for $429 brand new

youtube.com/watch?v=nENWWLrFmPY

Yes, but can you change effect profiles without using your hands?

pre programming may be akin to composing, but pushing a button is damn sure not performing. it's just pushing a button.

This

/thread

yes, i have a pedal that allows multiple and programmable setups. marshall has evolved to that now.

WARNING! Carry on reading! Or you will die, even if you only looked at the word warning! Once there was a little girl called Clarissa, she was ten-years-old and she lived in a mental hospital, because she killed her mom and her dad. She got so bad she went to kill all the staff in the hospital so the More-government decided that best idea was to get rid of her so they set up a special room to kill her, as humane as possible but it went wrong the machine they were using went wrong. And she sat there in agony for hours until she died. Now every week on the day of her death she returns to the person that reads this letter, on a Monday night at 12:00 a.m. She creeps into your room and kills you slowly, by cutting you and watching you bleed to death. Now send this to ten other pictures on this one site, and she will haunt someone else who doesn't. This isn't fake. apparently, if you copy and paste this to ten comments in the next ten minutes you will have the best day of your life tomorrow.You will either get kissed or asked out, if you break this chain u will see a little dead girls.

Wow. Are you me?
Pro musician for almost 25 years. And I use as simple a setup as possible. I use a Fender 75 with a 2x12 cabinet. I've got no pedals. I've just modded the shit out of the amp, and have a three button footswitch for the different channels and Reverb (which I never use). There's tons of gain. Fuck pedals. They will always fuck up when you need them most. Every fucking time.

That isn't 'being a musician'.
Making 'songs' on fruity loops and ableton doesn't make someone a 'composer'. And most people can't even make good stuff with software anyways...just oceans of sonic sewage out there on Soundcloud and Bandcamp--only a few tiny islands of decent stuff. At least back in the Major Label days it was lakes of sewage instead...

Still usually better to have the multi-effect brick in a live environment. You can see what effects you're on/switching to, and can enable and disable individual effects on the fly in my experience. Can't say I've seen the head unit you're talking about, but they're generally all 1-2 pedal attachments that don't give too much flexibility from what I've seen.

Well that can be true.
But consider another medium of art, visuals.
Is it more impressive, entertaining and deep to free hand draw a circle with a real paint brush, or simply use Photoshop to make a perfect circle every time?
The fact that a performance piece can change depending on the atmosphere, the person playing, the instruments etc etc shows the true art of music and showmanship which go hand in hand.

Oh and I forgot to add, Line6 is for people who can't afford something good but don't know the difference anyway. Stay away from it if possible.

90 percent of the tone is in the player

>GIT GUD SON

well i will admit i'm using mine mostly for recording. mine is a 4 switch that can be programmed for any combo i set the head at and the memory will take more than one set per switch. it did not come stock with the head, i had to buy it over, the head only came with the standard 2 button switch