ITT: Films that you admire for being well-made on a technical level but otherwise despise

ITT: Films that you admire for being well-made on a technical level but otherwise despise

Tree of Life

What do you dislike about it?

Oh, and Gravity.

Care to elaborate?

Why start a topic if all you have to offer is some vague critique that could be said for any movie?

Saw this movie when i was about 16 or 17, i liked it.

Gravity is honestly one of the worst movies I've ever seen.

Clooney sacrificing himself was so fucking unnecessary it hurt to watch. His character was obviously suicidal before shit hit the fan he was so eager to die.

Also this scene was pure fucking cringe

Didn't care for its ideology or portrayal of a few things
>hurr durr nationalism is bad, Islam is good

before I continue:
>inb4 Sup Forums
I simply felt uncomfortable and quite frankly angered with this film's blatant hypocrisy. For what reason should the English people not hate/fear ILLEGAL immigrants when they leach off society? Oh, and not to mention cause mayhem (parallels to Europe today).

and a few things didn't make sense:
>Michael Caine not giving the fishes the slip like he said he would
>Sydney suddenly going apeshit on Clive Owen, black woman and gypsy for no reason I can think of other than he is "le evil white nationalist"

It's simply unclear what Cuaron's intent with this movie was. It's like he wanted to make a refugee film but tacked on a sci-fi infertile plot (read this on IMDbeddit and I agreed). The whole film to me was contrived, nonsensical and hypocritical masked by (admittedly) excellent camera work, directing and acting.

>it's okay when kubrick does shitty obvious symbolism about how we are babies in space and takes 10 minutes to do it at a time

>it's okay when kubrick does shitty obvious symbolism
Doing it first means no one to be compared to, doing it later means you're a ripoff hack.

I'm sure if you looked, someone else did it before him. Not that it matters, execution does.

ah shit, i've been putting off rewatching this for the longest time.

i remembered caine's house and the idea of having that last old-timey positive buddy was comfy as fuck

now i'll just be annoyed the whole time

Still waiting for the 20 hour directors cut.

>hurr durr nationalism bad
>Islam is good
>le evil white nationalist

Literally none of those things happen in this movie. Also it's based on a book. Also retards like you are the reason this movie is getting closer to real life everyday.

Anything from Cuaron or Iñárritu

They try to overcompensate their hispanic heritage and manage to make their movies jarring, boring and full of technical prowess but no substance.

>Literally none of those things happen in this movie
Watch it again; I literally just watched it again today.
>also it's based on a book
umm, ok? Yes, I know that
>Also retards like you are the reason this movie is getting closer to real life everyday.
Explain? How the fuck are "retards like me" the reason this movie is getting closer to real life? I found this movie quite hypocritical. There was every reason in this movie (and in real life) to oppose illegal immigration. If anyone is bringing this closer to real life it's open-border faggots, Islamist extremists as well as regressives who intend to erase national identity.
England in Children of Men closed their borders; it was in their best interest to detain and deport ILLEGAL fucking immigrants who are a drain to society and not to mention are domestic terrorists.

Grow up, faggot.

This.

In the movie life was hard, but nationalism was the only thing that kept the UK from going from completely to shit.

There is no mention of Islam.

Numerous mentions to Islam throughout the movie. I take back the "Islam is good".

>Nationalism was the only thing that kept the UK from going completely to shit
Yes, this was precisely my point. The film presents this as a bad thing.

dude almost keep dying lol

Domestic terrorists are terrorists who are citizens or naturalized citizens of a nation you dumbass.

Brexit voter detected

Well then terrorist then, my mistake dipshit

>presents this as a bad thing
Where? I think you might be projecting just a bit. It never said anything about evil white nationalists, while we're at it. Also the point being made in regards to illegal immigration is about growing global scarcity because of the globalist trade policies that fucked over EVERYBODY, not just 'white countries' being overrun by the browns. It presents the subject of illegal immigration as it is, people fleeing the broken parts of the world, areas broken by globalism. It's showing you that it's one of the symptoms of the problem, as opposed to it being the root cause. Despite what you may have been told.

>Yes, this was precisely my point. The film presents this as a bad thing.
It doesn't at all. You're fucking retarded.

It portrays the British as being in an impossible position as being the last functioning government in the world where they're forced to treat migrant brutally to continue to exist. The actual villains in the movie are the pro-refugee terrorist group, amusingly enough.

Here is the whole plot: drugs are bad. There is literally nothing else to it. The special effects were good, and that song is great.

Also
>Islamist extremists
That's a real thing

>open-border faggots
>regressives who intend to erase national identity

These are not.

I can appreciate the technical elements on this but for me it's just a borefest people pretend to like to look smarter and one of the most fedora movies around.
I hate when people use the word 'boring' when talking about movies, I really do, but I swear I tried to watch this like 2 times and I fell asleep both times, only finished it on the third one. And most of my favorite movies are considered boring because they're slow paced.

I dunno, I watched it pretty recently and it seemed to focus more about how both sides of political conflicts lose sight of what's important. Clive Owens character has to take the baby out of the country because both the government and the rebels would have tried to use the baby for political purposes rather than get anything done.

Are you fucking retarded? They're both Mexican citizens, they don't need to flaunt their heritage for anybody and they don't. None of their English language films deal with Mexico at all. Retard.

Goddamn it, guess I misunderstood parts of the film.

digital era mann

>this is what americans actually believe

I felt the same way
It was underwhelming
Did feel bad for the mom though, poor old lady, that was one hell of a refrigerator she had

Pretty to look at, shit tier script. Transition from second to third act is awkward af. Also muh grizzly.

Gladiator did this better.

This is so stupid it is making my brain hurt.

You pleb.

Nice retort, really convincing

great leftist film
it makes Sup Forumstards butthard everytime

So just like real life then.

>Despising a movie
Pretty juvenile.

Anything Soderbergh

I hated it for how it tried to make me feel sympathetic towards Dillinger.

It wasn't symbolism or a metaphor, retard. He literally turned into a baby, the star child.