Tfw can't into The Beach Boys

Pet Sounds clicked with me instantly but nothing else does. Does anyone else besides me have this problem?

Yeah, a lot of people just stop there. I'd keep trying though because they have some really, really great other albums outside of that.

nah m8 can't say i do - but i started with smiley smile so maybe that's why

Actually it's the opposite for me.
Pet Sounds is a great album but I tend to gravitate to their earlier material a lot more or for some reason everything after Pet Sounds. Doesn't stop Pet Sounds from being a mighty fine album though.

You've listened to this one right? Smile Sessions is an absolute masterpiece when listened to in full. The soundscapes are just unreal, and great use of abstract lyrics and imagery too. It's basically Gershwin meets American folklore meets Brian Wilson on a heavy dose of acid. Worth a shot if you haven't checked it out.

SMiLE is excellent

I like old timey rock, so moving back from Pet Sounds worked for me (Today, Summer Days, All Summer Long). After Pet Sounds can be hit/miss. Some people love Friends, but I hate it. Sunflower is widely considered to be good though.

listen to the smile sessions

move to sunflower after that

then surfs up

at this point youll have enough BB expertise to go reverse before pet sounds

gentrified doo-wop

damn! really made me think

im sorry for being white!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry black massa!

For most people Pet Sounds is like an original movie that came out: exciting, fun, appeals to everyone etc.

SMiLE is like its artisic sequel: a little more high brained, tries to do more, new territories. Its still good, and people like it, but it doesnt have that straightforward pop that the original did. Keep in mind technically it was released in 2011, so people have only had a few years to get into it whereas Pet Sounds has had 50 years to win hearts

Anyways try Smile. You'd really have to listen to it all at once, its not a track by track album likw Pet Sounds

this, it contains the song surfs up, which is enough alone

Should I listen to this, or the Brian Wilson one?

Pet Sounds may have tracks that can stand-up on their own, but overall it's still an album that should be listened to from beginning to end and has a sense of progression to it.

This one.

The BW one suffers from some awful cheesy backing instruments. It's like they got the most generic sounds they could. The 60s version feels much better.
However, the BW version of Elements:Fire is absolutely amazing

I agree, but you could listen to Here Today by itself much easier than picking a random track on Smile like I'm in great shape, or Wanna be around, which absolutely need the other tracks to support it

Yeah, that's very true. Smile all fits into place so perfectly, every track complementing each other.

Probably because Smile was never finished and it was just a bunch of random song scraps. The first disc of Smile Sessions is just the producers of the set (not Brian Wilson btw) using digital trickery to try to make something that never existed in the first place

They took a set of recordings that were 95% complete and put them together with Brian Wilson's final version of Smile as the blueprint because the main issue Brian was having was finding a way to put it all together in a good order. He eventually did, but had to re-record it get what wanted, which meant losing the original Beach Boys and the original flame that he had at the time of the project. Use those scraps (that were 95% complete) with the blueprint and you have a finished product with the original recordings. Honestly, it's hard to tell it was unfinished when listening to the final version.

>(that were 95% complete)
[citation needed]
>Honestly, it's hard to tell it was unfinished when listening to the final version.
See: trickery

Its clear Smile is unfinished, even in the 2011 version. They were clever in mixing finished songs with unfinished songs to make it work

finished songs:
our prayer (moreso an intro than a song)
heroes and villians
cabin essence
wonderful
surfs up
vege-tables
holiday (debatable)
wind chimes
good vibrations

unfinished songs/snippets:
gee
do you like worms
barnyard
im in great shape
my only sunshine
song for children
child is father of the man
i wanna be around/workshop
the elements:fire
love to say dada
youre welcome

>finished songs:
Half of this list wasn't even finished in 1967 btw

I messed up that list. surfs up shouldnt be on that list because they used parts from the surfs up album.

however the others had completed individual tracks by the time the project was cancelled they just werent assembled yet. in fact you could take most of the backing tracks from the smile CDs and remake your own mixes.

H&V and Good Vib were singles so they were done.

You're Welcome was finished, wasn't it? It was the B side to H&V.

So wait, what are you saying? That, despite the fact that it SOUNDS very much complete (not the fact that music is all about sound), it isn't complete because Brian Wilson had a lot of other ideas that were never incorporated? Shouldn't we be basing it as a stand-alone, rather than as a "what-could-have-been"? The trickery wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for Brian Wilson's final version in 2004. That's my whole point. It wouldn't exist if weren't for Brian's finished vision. If you played SMiLE to someone who knew nothing about it, I doubt they'd think "that is totally unfinished, man". Not at all. It'd sound pretty cohesive, because it does.

Cabin Essence was not finished until the 20/20 album. it lacked lead vocals and a track assemblage

Our Prayer was not assembled/edit until 20/20

Vege-Tables was never assembled and left as a jumble of pieces.

Holiday never received any additional vocals or anything else.

>Shouldn't we be basing it as a stand-alone
You can, but you need to accept it's revisionist history and very much a modern creation.
>If you played SMiLE to someone who knew nothing about it,
That's kind of the problem, isn't it?

Youre right about cabin essence and our prayer

i think we differ on the definition of assembled/complete

to me, even without the tracks being combined into a complete song, its still 'done'. you could assemble it tomorrow, next month, or next year and you wouldnt need anything else other that what's been recorded. which is why i listed some unassembeled songs as finished.

If it's unassembled, it's not finished. That was part of the process, part of the modular recording method

The impressive part (the music itself) isn't a modern creation though - it was made in 1967. The various layers, the motifs, the wall-of-sound being so pin-point. All of that was 1967. The trickery in itself was what Brian Wilson was originally intending to do anyway - create thousands of various small pieces and scraps with various takes for each one and push those pieces together to create a finished product.

>The impressive part (the music itself) isn't a modern creation though - it was made in 1967.
Not really. It contained elements not recorded in 1967, as well as digital fly-ins and samples form other sessions.
>the motifs
A modern creation
>All of that was 1967
Wrong.

How were the motifs a modern creation? They were in the recordings. What, did they go write and record a whole bunch of new material to throw in to the album to give it motifs? No, of course now. Brian always intended it to have those motifs, which is why he recorded them in the first place. Okay, I'll admit, some piece of some of the songs were recorded a few years after 1967, but not at all were those things "modern creations". It feels like you're going out of your way to try and find reasons to discredit Brian Wilson and SMiLE. Or what, are you suggesting that the people who put the recordings together are the true musical geniuses and deserve the credit for why SMiLE is so good?

It's all boyband tripe. Maybe you should try OneDirection or something.

i prefer brian wilson one because it's an actual finished work, and especially for the middle suite (i don't like beach boys surfs up, i love brian's solo version though)

listen to both and decide for yourself

>They were in the recordings
Well, this is because Brian couldn't decide where song segments would go, so he moved them around from song to song.
>What, did they go write and record a whole bunch of new material to throw in to the album to give it motifs?
That is exactly what Darian Sahanaja did. He wrote reprises for the 2004 album, and created reoccurring motifs to unify it. Again, a modern creation
>It feels like you're going out of your way to try and find reasons to discredit Brian Wilson and SMiLE.
I'm just giving you background information on SMiLE. If you feel there is a negative connotation, maybe it's just what the evidence points to
>Or what, are you suggesting that the people who put the recordings together are the true musical geniuses and deserve the credit for why SMiLE is so good?
You said it, not me

>Wrote reprises for the 2004 album.
What? So? We're not talking about the 2004 album. You can tell what was written for the 2004 album because they exist in the 2004 version and not in the Sessions version (things like new lyrics and extra stretches of music). The reprises already exist in the original recordings. Brian has even admitted that he created songs with those things in mind. This isn't even a debated thing, this is a fact. I mean, you don't see how absurd it is to claim that the people who put the Sessions together (people who were working together with Brian to fit with his original vision) deserve more credit than the man who actually made the music? That's insane. It's great that these people were able to be so faithful to the original vision and help bring together something great, but they would have gotten nothing without Brian's excellent work. As I already stated, Brian's idea was always to create various pieces and snip them together in a sort of pseudo-sampling fashion. What you are suggesting is insane.
Also, stop being so condescending. It's not cool or cute. It's just immature.

>The reprises already exist in the original recordings
Not because he was making reoccurring motifs for you to be amazed at 50 years later, but that he couldn't decide where they go in the first place.
>Brian has even admitted that he created songs with those things in mind
[citation needed]
Also still waiting on that citation which stated it was 95% done. You have that yet?
>I mean, you don't see how absurd it is to claim that the people who put the Sessions together (people who were working together with Brian to fit with his original vision) deserve more credit than the man who actually made the music?
The music he made wasn't finished; it's absurd to give him credit for something he didn't do
>It's great that these people were able to be so faithful to the original vision
lol
>Also, stop being so condescending. It's not cool or cute. It's just immature.
Is there a way you can be more educated about something before you discuss it? Then I wouldn't have to talk down to you in the first place

try this, kid

Smiley Smile >>>>> any Smile reconstruction

>half assed and scatterbrained > grandiose and visionary
Sure kid

fall breaks and back to winter is an interesting forgotten beach boys song