Why the hell is this rated so high?!?! This movie sucked!! I didn't care about the lack of action...

Why the hell is this rated so high?!?! This movie sucked!! I didn't care about the lack of action. And yes I get what it was trying to do. People saying it's smart are trying to act like they're smart. Here's how dumb it is:

**SPOILERS**
>How the hell does understanding an alien language automatically give you knowledge about the future??

>If the point was for the aliens to save humanity, what was the point of her kid dying??

>The aliens know that they need humans to save them in the future so humans must've done something in the future to help them... but they know humans will destroy themselves if they don't get along?? Well, which is it?

>If they understand humans, why not just get to the point of why they are there? "Hi, we're aliens... we want you to understand our language so you won't kill each other? We're gonna call it a weapon to build tension but we know we shouldn't call it weapon. You can see the future with it... somehow... lol"

There's more. This movie sucked big time!! This is on par with "Lucy".

I've got like 3 free cinema passes to use up.
Thanks for the tip... definitely not gonna waste it on this if it's shit.

The trailer looks good, but I imagine it's one of those where all the good parts are actually in the trailer.

It was only ok. 6/10, set piece tripe tbh, looked pretty

Amy Adams is a well known whore. She probably took a lot of cocks to get good reviews.

It was great - one of the better movies I've seen in a long time. Excellent cinematography, screenplay, and great performances. 8/10.

>If the point was for the aliens to save humanity, what was the point of her kid dying??
you're stupid, OP.

more cultural Marxist propaganda no doubt?. i love sci fi, thnx for the advice about this. p,s. need links to dr strange torrent...........A good one.

This. OP doesn't know jack

It is simply a pretty shitty movie.

Care to explain?

Not him, but sure.

What makes you think there needs to be a point? Are you assuming the aliens had something to do with her kid dying? She was able to see the future, so she knew her kid would die from an incurable disease before it happened, but she decided to have the kid and enjoy the time she could spend with her anyway. It's about questioning if you would do anything different with your life if you could already see how it unfolds from beginning to end - that was literally a line from the film. It adds a dramatic element by raising the question.

no faggot go buy a ticket and stop being a welfarefag

>What makes you think there needs to be a point?

Only things integral to the plot should be in the movie. They make it a big point that her daughter dies but you could remove it and it wouldn't change the movie. It's something that's not needed.

>It's about questioning if you would do anything different with your life if you could already see how it unfolds from beginning to end - that was literally a line from the film. It adds a dramatic element by raising the question.

Again you could take this element out of the movie and it wouldn't change a thing. It has zero impact to the story they were telling about aliens trying to save humanity.

Questioning what you would do if you could already see your future was an intregal part of the film. Sure, you could take it out - it would just make for a more mindless, shittier movie.

Sorry this wasn't independence day with ray guns and explosions and you actually had to think to enjoy it.

Holy Shit OP. the film was adapted from a short story called "Story of Your Life". The daughter is essential to the story because it is her story. If you think she isn't relevant then I ask you to consider one of Jeremy Renner's last liens which is how the best part of it all wasn't meeting the aliens but meeting her. Or consider the theme found in Nolan's Interstellar. It wasnt about space.. It was about love, his daughter and the connection that binds them through space and time. This movie is never about aliens and time. Its about love and human relationships. Its a sci-fi drama of sorts. The daughter story beginds before she is born becuase the Amy Adams character can see the future. The aliens language is nonlinear, and eveyrthing is perceived as present tense, as happening now; Hence why she was telling the story about her Daughter in present tense even though she wasn't born. The abilit to se in the future obviously brings about paradoxes which the movie avoids. But in realty they cant actually see the future. Much like Dr. Manhattan in Watchmen, they merely see things in present tense, and assuming a deterministic universe, can claim to know whats going to happen before it does. Itall comes down to consiousness and wether you perseve things linearly like human brains do or non linearly like the aliens do with everyting happening in present tsne. for the aliens they cant change decisions becuase their minds ee it all happening at once and their bodies respodn detemerminsitcally. they can't "change a decision": they don't see things as yet to come or already past, only as all here and now. every action for them is happening now. like Dr. Manhattan, they are puppets "who can see the strings" in this deterministic universe. This obv brings u paradoxes for humans in the mix as they do see things linearly and f an alien says "you will do this in 5 seconds" they can choose to do the opposite. Case and Point, she could have chosen not to have the child.

>Questioning what you would do if you could already see your future was an intregal part of the film.

Haha. No it's not. She doesn't even know she's seeing the future until the end. It's about trying to figure out what the aliens want. You can't have a movie be about two unrelated things. It as to be one or the other. That's part of the problem with this movie.

>a movie has to be about one thing and one thing only to be good

You just went full retard.

In any event, it is related to the movie - the aliens wanted to give the gift of their language to humanity for the expressed purpose of them gaining the ability to see the future so they could come back in 3,000 years to gain help from humanity.

Were you even paying attention?

Haha. Yes I get what the movie is trying to do. That's doesn't mean it's not nonsense.

I didn't say her daughter wasn't essential to the story. I said her daughter dying wasn't essential to the story.

If they wanted to make a movie about love and relationships, they should have focused on her struggles with her knowing the future and her interactions with her family about it instead of trying to figure out why aliens are here and deciphering their language.

>a movie has to be about one thing and one thing only to be good

I said a movie can't be about two unrelated things which is completely different.

The events are related but the topics aren't. You can't have a movie about becoming a chess champion and getting laid. But one event can lead to another.

>the aliens wanted to give the gift of their language to humanity for the expressed purpose of them gaining the ability to see the future so they could come back in 3,000 years to gain help from humanity.

Yes, I know. THIS was the point of the movie. Her daughter dying is unrelated and you can tell it's unrelated because it has no affect on that point. If her daughter's death was related to what killed that other alien and the human somehow in the future find a cure.... then it's related.

Ugh, for fucks sake - her daughter dying wasn't even a major point of the film. And again, it raised the question as to whether or not one would still choose to have a child when they knew what the outcome would be. This adds a dramatic element to the film and makes a point about love and human connection. So it's not at all unrelated.

You're so fucking smart and such a better writer, so why don't you tell me how you'd make a better movie. Tell me what would have been better - her daughter doesn't die and they live happily ever after? How would that raise the point of not changing one's future even though they know it's painful?

Go ahead - write a better movie and get back to me.

Hi, this is the producer. Shut up and give us your money. We're trying to re-make Ghostbusters 2 with Harambe again.

>A movie about aliens saving human because they'll need their help in the future

>A movie about love and human connection

Choose One

Wait, we are working on Arrival part 2, we figure if you are stupid enough to watch this one, you'd be dumb enough to sit through part 2.