/daily/ thread - Dad Rock Edition

What's your AOTY so far?

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

previously, on /daily/.....

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/ToYP6CfFfJk
youtube.com/watch?v=PKtDYzfOB_Q
erictaxxon.bandcamp.com/album/the-anthill
rateyourmusic.com/release/djmix/baby-zionov/the-mango-data/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/yarn/вербна-неділя/
youtube.com/watch?v=cvChjHcABPA
derbastler.bandcamp.com/album/yarn-verbna-nedilya-lp-1993
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/хартыга-и-альберт-кувезин-hartyga-feat-albert-kuvezin/агитатор-agitator/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/fishmans/98_12_28-男達の別れ-98_12_28-otokotachi-no-wakare/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/fishmans/98_12_28-男達の別れ-98_12_28-otokotachi-no-wakare/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/хapтыгa-и-aльбepт-кyвeзин-hartyga-feat-albert-kuvezin/aгитaтop-agitator/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

did you choose that pic because this general is a disaster

yes

Rec me stuff please. My Aoty so far is either Xiu Xiu or The Necks

rlly made me think

>babby's first harsh noise

What stuff from this wall of recs should I listen to first, I had only listened to the two marked albums and I liked both.

Listen to An When by Tonstartssbandht, sorta like xiu xiu

What's that supposed to mean

AOA - Domegapeace
Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport
David Grubbs, Miron Grzegorkiewicz, David Maranha, Małgorzata Penkalla & Pete Simonelli - Populista Presents: United States of America Triptych (III) - Vanishing Point: How to Disappear in America Without a Trace
Moritz von Oswald Trio - Fetch
Haruka Nakamura - Twilight
Muûsikko - Little Tiny Rooms
Jim O'Rourke - 27/6/2000 (Meltdown Festival, London RFH)

Obviously you're not allowed to like well known experimental music. Haven't you heard?

oh i see i was right about Guapo
Pyramids - s/t
Arcana - Arc of the Testimony
Can's Peel Sessions are also v good btw

I thought "poseur" was a term for people who pretend to like experimental stuff. I don't pretend, I like what I like because it's good. That's fucking retarded

youtu.be/ToYP6CfFfJk

>me 10 years ago
>crush on a qt bassist named Sarah
>too autist to talk to her
>finally meet her at a party
>got drunk, feel confidence & go talk to her
>instantly spaghetti & talk ahout how I love Sarah Records as it was the best 1980's label ever, twee pop is the best, etc.
>qt listen to me in silent, puzzled, and leave with disgust on her face
still cringe about it

Ah, you were the one who recced me that? Thanks so much, it's so good. I can see it moving up in the future.

This chart isn't really my all time chart, just a representation of what I've been listening to a lot recently btw.

Merzbow - Door Open at 8 AM

Robbie Basho - Visions of the Country
pls

the poseur meme was/is pretty triggering. Most albums on that chart are pretty great tho

Yep, I just think it's a dumb concept. And Door Open is probably my favorite right behind Dharma, but thanks.

>"You have to conquer yourself, and take control of yourself. I make fun of a lot of people, like Brian Wilson, because they don't have control over themselves. I think they're largely phonies. They use their illness as an excuse. I have no mercy for that. I know Wilson idolizes me; he does interviews; he writes his autobiography about me. I know, I know, I know. It's sad, y'know, but I don't know whether you can feel sorry for untalented people. Maybe he's not that talented. Maybe he's overrated. Maybe. Jimi Hendrix was not overrated. Janis Joplin was not overrated. I feel sorry that they died, because they shouldn't have. They should have been a little smarter. Brian Wilson outlived his brothers for God's fucking sake. How do you figure that? Carl Wilson - pretty bright guy. Dennis - pretty silly guy; y'know, a muppet. And Brian outlives them? But maybe Brian wasn't that talented to begin with, and we're burdening him with that. We make these people more than they are. I don't feel sorry for Brian Wilson; I never thought he was that talented to begin with. I'm glad he idolizes me; I wish that Jimi Hendrix idolized me. I heard he did. I'd be more impressed if somebody with a brain idolized me."

lol

Who is you Chirone?

Phil Spector is such a weirdo

Aw, cool. It's my favorite. Love the jazz base

Oh my god this finger picking is hypnotic

Yeah his voice is usually a good hook, but if you're into the finger picking, just wait until you get to Fahey

another Basho victim B^)

yo Unisex is like fr one of my favorite albums ever, and you're right, Sarah records is the best twee record label, bar none.

Is VotC dailycore? I am so glad most of us love that album

Don't give up hope! I bet they didn't think it was as bad you do. Just give it some time and things should be ready for round 2

That poseur thing was just a revived avant-teen meme, but at least they decided to put the right albums on the chart

But a lot of the albums on the chart are good. What makes them forbidden fruit

Enjoy (my) dad rock.
youtube.com/watch?v=PKtDYzfOB_Q

The fact that /daily/ likes them ;_;

How do I become /daily/ core

yee. i think the anticlimactic or progressively more mediative structure of the album is really unique and they pulled it off extremely well, again, glad you liked it

ask everyone nicely to listen to and review your music

If you say so. Does anyone here feel like reviewing a bit of introverted synthpop with a cute dog on the cover?

erictaxxon.bandcamp.com/album/the-anthill

Anyway, this was really nice. I thought it was really interesting how an album that's almost just acoustic guitar can sound so epic, just from sheer technicality and length of noodling sections. Thanks so much for the rec.

bad album

Dark Was the Night is one of the best songs ever made. Must hear.

90% of the shit on here is great

>Janis Joplin was not overrated
lmao what.

Spector was a bigger innovator than Wilson sure, but he was also massively retarded.

basinski's a piece of shit but that album is notably average

god i suck at music, takes me so long to figure out chords in songs

agree

you might like Spacemen 3

shit music that's interesting > novelty mediocrity
and his new album is much of the latter

curious as to why you think Wilson sucks and Spector and Joplin do not.

i don't really agree, just find the quote funny, spector was 'a bit' of a freak

do prefer spector to wilson though but i've only heard pet sounds

I'm in a bad funk, friends. Going to a cool show tonight though that might cheer me up. This concert for Bruce Langhorne with Steve Gunn and some other primitivists

glad you enjoyed it!
if you want more I'd strongly suggest exploring more under the American Primitivism tag :-)

ethyboy
torts
trianglecubed
jangle&bojangle
jimmyjazz
co
letov
s

40 - 80 mins this time

Jack Rose - Raag Manifestos

Either pic related or Pas pire pop, I Love You so Much

Heard this yet?

Six Organs of Admittance - Dark Noontide

Into this one rn

heard it

lel

Did you like it? Can't find your RYM

it's p good

OK. Do Steve Gunn - Way Out Weather

Post your favorite /daily/ meetup pics

me on the far left

loved pic related from start to finish

*buh dum tss*

choose one of the following

give me a favourite release (album, ep, mixtape, mix) from that year

rateyourmusic.com/release/djmix/baby-zionov/the-mango-data/

Thoughts on We Three?

>1993
Freestye Fellowship - Innercity Griots

me on the right

Haynes is a real personality-drummer, and that really comes through here, but at the expense of a great record... I love piano trios, but he plays like he's in a big band. The compositions were nice enough but really didn't dig phineas newborn either.

someone gimme femboy in fishnet's # plsthx

>1974
Queen II

Thoughts on Kazma Kazma? If you think you'd like a more constrained take on their sound, their second album is worth looking into.

Check out: rateyourmusic.com/release/album/yarn/вербна-неділя/

Post a song you only like for its chorus
youtube.com/watch?v=cvChjHcABPA

The verse here is really slow, boring, sparse and I think could've been made by nearly any other 70s pop band.

The chorus, however, is bright, catchy, really dense, near jangle-like, and is distinctly ABBA. Really doubt any other group could've made something like this work.

Perhaps it's the stark contrast that makes the chorus so satisfying rather than the

What do y'all think? Do you have any other songs that echo this, or perhaps are vice-versa?

It was like Stravinsky circa 1913 had been commissioned to write for a 70s acid rock band. Loved the energy.

fuck I need to actually FINISH my posts before hitting "submit" huh?

Perhaps it's the stark contrast that makes the chorus so satisfying rather than the chorus being anything incredible on its own. I wonder if I'd come back to this song as often if the verse was also as significant to me and the contrast didn't exist there.

I thought mu was finally done with kazumoto endo

America

>jimi hendrix was not overrated
Funny guy

Wait till you hear the better basho album

>Is VotC dailycore?
It should be made dailycore

Youre in my core

Brave Little Abacus - Masked Dancers
:{}

>yamir
Funny guy

where can I find that btw

derbastler.bandcamp.com/album/yarn-verbna-nedilya-lp-1993

too short, need something 40 - 80 mins

One of the most fun and interesting albums in years imo.

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/хартыга-и-альберт-кувезин-hartyga-feat-albert-kuvezin/агитатор-agitator/

best album of 2016 desu

>any time Letov posts a link
>...album/%D1%85%D0%B0%D1%80%D1%82%D1%8B%D0%B3%D0%B0-%D0%B8-%D0%B0%D0%BB%D1%8C%D0%B1%D0%B5%D1%80%D1%82%D0%BA%D1%83%D0%B2%D0%B5%D0%B7%D0%B8%D0%BD-hartyga-feat-albert-kuvezin/%D0%B0%D0%B3%D0%B8%D1%82%D0%B0%D1%82%D0%BE%D1%80

idk man i tried to think of sth but usually when u keep returning to a track for just one moment everything or at least something else becomes more enjoyable too cuz of conditioning probably
literally any Emil Bulls or Hollywood Undead song that i like tho

lmaooo

isn't there a program where you can shorten a link with non-english characters?

Bobbi Humphrey - Blacks and Blues
Jorge Ben - A Tábua Da Esmeralda
MonoMono - Dawn of Awareness

my 1993rd-1999th rym ratings:
>Borbetomagus - Barbed Wire Maggots
weird noises
6/10
>Spacemen 3 - Dreamweapon
The best buildup to the best not real psych rock song there ever darn was.
6/10
Index - The Index [aka "The Black Album"]
This is tagged as surf rock. By "surf" they mean sliding along the floor with your hands tied together trying to catch up with your friends who kicked you out of the car and are driving away to go to the beach faster than you could ever hope to catch up to. Yet you persist.
6/10
>Antônio Carlos Jobim - Wave
If there's a purer form of music than good bossa nova, I haven't heard it.
8/10
>Ground-Zero - Plays Standards
Was a big fan of 革命京劇 (Revolutionary Pekinese Opera) Ver.1.28 [Kakumeikyōgeki], so I'm glad this album turned out to be good as well. I like the more direct brutal prog influence. Also, if there was any CD that was allowed to do the "vinyl crackle at the end of the album" thing, it's this one.
8/10
>Townes Van Zandt - s/t
Don't associate yourself with people who listen to everything "except country and hip-hop." You don't need that negativity.
8/10
>Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago
I said that 22, a Million would have been better as a straightforward folk album. Maybe Bon Iver are just shitty.
4/10

and lastly, the big 2000
as voted for by you...
>Toto - IV
Better than Bon Iver.
5/10

ONTO THE NEW ORANGE MILK BATCH
THE MUSIC DON'T STOP

acceptable spacemen 3 and index onions, good townes onions

enjoy the only good album

actually wait rhythm heaven repainted is starting soon. will start the OM batch after that.

are there any s3 albums with some payoff? i might give it an 8 if it's good.

Link condensers are banned so that people aren't tricked into opening up something bad by mistake

[Muffled Byzantine chanting plays in the distance]

Nonono I'm not talking about tinyurl or anything, I really thought there was a website that would shorten

into something like rateyourmusic.com/release/album/fishmans/98_12_28-男達の別れ-98_12_28-otokotachi-no-wakare/

Sup Forums will mangle Cyrillic text regardless, so there's no point

didn't even think something like that would work but woah it's still a working link how bout that

u shur bow dah

vs

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/хapтыгa-и-aльбepт-кyвeзин-hartyga-feat-albert-kuvezin/aгитaтop-agitator/

just testing not sure if it'll work

>Maybe Bon Iver are just shitty.
damn right they are fuck bon iver so fucking much fuck

heh....

oh shit you're right it doesn't work.

well damn

good to know japanese characters work though

Oh come on, say something about Bon Iver though. That debut is pretty painless

Was Dreamweapon your first Spacemen 3 record? all the other albums have proper songs, Dreamweapon is just them going all out drone for one gig

all 4 of their albums are worthwhile but The Perfect Prescription is probably my favourite. They're nowhere near as droney but there's still a lot of repetition

Everyone but me seems to think Perfect Prescription is a masterpiece, but I would highly rec you try it out anyways. It seems like it might be up your alley.

the constant bad vocal harmonies got so fuckin annoying dude. i'm sorry.
this was my first rec from them. i'll try out PP i suppose.

>Brian, No
I love this image