I want to listen to this album but don't know where to start...

I want to listen to this album but don't know where to start. Apparently there are many different versions floating around. I know there's an official Lopatin remaster but from what I understand, people weren't too happy with it. The remaster somehow took the dreamy mystique away. So what version is the best? I don't wanna ruin my first listening experience with a sub-par version.

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!6413mTha!AoAyQNizchQm3lf05A1jrA
youtube.com/watch?v=8Pu6I_7lrk8
mega.nz/#F!yQ0SWQBC!U94gC93ap0qe3Y9o9PvQuA
youtube.com/watch?v=unN7QvSWSTo
mega.co.nz/#F!OQ9QjThQ!SNGclygS3gIFxTEaP6cHpg
web.archive.org/web/20150522214559/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8fM-CGQVCY
youtube.com/watch?v=T5sQQRdki1k
youtube.com/watch?v=T5sQQRdki1k)
xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

H U R R Y B O Y S H E S W A I T I N G T H E R E U U U U

Can you please tell me what version to listen to and not shit up my thread with youtube-tier memes.

There's only one version, one person's rip just had a couple of sections playing slightly faster then got passed around as the "alternate".
I don't remember what was supposedly wrong with the remaster, it was probably just cleaned up a bit. Keep in mind you're literally listening to loops of pop choruses with reverb added, I don't think sound quality is of huge importance.

I remember reading that all those alternate youtube mixes had lower pitch and that's what people were used to because almost nobody owned an actual cassette and most listened to the album on youtube. The main complaint I see is that the pitch of the official remaster is too high.

im not an expert
but it seems to me that people who dont like the remaster were just used to the cassette rip
if you havent listened to it yet, the remaster should be probably fine

mega.nz/#F!6413mTha!AoAyQNizchQm3lf05A1jrA

The rip you're looking for is probably the 55:55 one. It's in the favourite albums section. Have fun man

iirc the remaster sounded the same as the version I had (which I downloaded from here so I assume it's the "normal" one). The only different version I'd seen was A3 in a YT video which was pitched up slightly.

seeing street horrrsing and songs for the deaf in least favorite albums really pissed me off
but than i saw channel pressure and gloss drop on fist two spots so that made up for it

Sorry. I'm on mobile, I would've posted the standalone MEGA link for Eccojams if I were on PC. Enjoy the album

im not OP btw

Listen to the Youtube version that's 20% slower than it's supposed to be. That's the only version worth listening to.

You seem to know what you're talking about. What version to do you mean? Also how does the 20% slowed down sound enhance the album? Thanks.

ONE MORE YEAR AND THEN YOULL BE HAPPY

bump because I wanna know the answer

Asterlite Edition is the best. Recreated from lossless sources with timing matched to non-tape references.

Does that mean its slower than the original?

I think it's faster than most versions sourced from tape.

I tried to find it again and it's gone. :(

The slowdown was because it was ripped from cassette using a player that was out of calibration. It benefits the music because it's no longer in any key you've ever heard before, giving it a really unearthly feel.

Should be easy to re-create from another version using Audacity though.

fuck it, i'll bump the thread from page 10 and upload the real versions to mega

Real versions? You mean the remaster? I'm looking for the 20% slowed down version.

no, real as in playing at the same speed as the original cassette and in flac

I'm the one who recommended the slowed down version. It is perfectly acceptable to download the original speed and slow it down yourself.

Formatting like a sharethread post in case anyone looks for it in the archive:

Chuck Person / Oneohtrix Point Never / Daniel Lopatin - Chuck Person's Eccojams Vol. 1 (2010) [16/44.1 FLAC]
>vaporwave, proto-vapor
>original cassette rip and 2016 remastered version

Stream:
>youtube.com/watch?v=8Pu6I_7lrk8

Download link:
>mega.nz/#F!yQ0SWQBC!U94gC93ap0qe3Y9o9PvQuA

I don't think you can replicate faulty hardware slowing down and messing with the pitch of a tape with slowing it down in software. If anyone has a download to the slowed down version, please share.

youtube.com/watch?v=unN7QvSWSTo

Is this version official, or is it edited in some way?

I'll appreciate the download but I think I wanna listen to the album slowed down first. That's how most people first heard it and it seems to be the version of choice according to

Sounds slower than my version

that link is slightly slowed down, this one was uploaded at the official speed of 52 minutes

youtube.com/watch?v=8Pu6I_7lrk8

Is this the sought after 20% slower version?

you know it's just too little too late

I think you're overthinking it.

messing with the originals in audition, it seems that it's just a 5% slowed down version

OK, because I still had the youtube page in my browser history, I was able to paste that into archive.org and get the mega link for the slowed-down version from the video description. Enjoy.

mega.co.nz/#F!OQ9QjThQ!SNGclygS3gIFxTEaP6cHpg

You are a goddamn hero, thanks man.

Wait, damn it, this adds up to 52 minutes. I've been had.

yeah, was just gonna say the first track is literally the exact same length as the original and remaster, although it is 32-bit float so that's nice

Shit, thanks for the effort though.

Yeah, at least I honestly tried to track it down. Oh well. The desirable runtime should be about about an hour and 7 minutes, as you can see here: web.archive.org/web/20150522214559/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8fM-CGQVCY

I could slow down the originals in audition if you want me to dude, but honestly there's no reason not to just listen to the official version

If you don't do it I'll probably make my own slow version for my own use.

I don't know if that exactly replicates the original 20% slower cassette rip, you tell me.

I read this on rym:

>lopatin's remaster at the """correct""" pitch/speed sounds like absolute ass compared to the original wonky rip. 5 stars for that shitty rip cause it sounds even better now
>ok -- original shit rip >> asterite edition > strawberry illuminati rip > 2016 remaster

Maybe I'll find the original rip in some old vaporwave torrent pack.

Doing the math, it's actually closer to 30% slower. And yeah, that slower version totally influenced the sound of vaporwave to come, that's where the low-pass sound comes from.

I generally see the Asterite edition being considered the best, and that may be true in terms of actual fidelity (or could just be the result of viraling), but the earliest much slower version from 2010-2011 will always be my favorite.

It also feels the most true to Lopatin's original vision since its closer to the speed and fidelity of the loops on sunsetcorp than either Asterite or the newest remaster

>closer to the speed and fidelity of the loops on sunsetcorp

Yeah, I've heard some of those loops and they definitely sound slowed down. I just hope the original slow rip hasn't been lost.

I assume this is the correct slowed version then?

youtube.com/watch?v=T5sQQRdki1k

I still have it if you want it. Pretty sure I already uploaded it somewhere. It's almost exactly the same as

Fuck yeah, this is it!

Actually never mind, this is definitely it

Great, I can't wait to listen to it. Thanks a lot guys.

You're in for a treat.

>125 views
damn son, nice find

I'm making a youtube-dl rip of this in case it gets disappeared again.

Good luck buddy. I recommend listening to it with all your lights off and laying upside down, or while watching MS-DOS games muted

Maybe I'll take some sedatives.

Not the worst idea. My first listen to this album was heavily sleep-deprived, you could try that too.

I was actually going to recommend some opiates or dissociatives, but I try not to advise drugs to strangers. I've listened to it on hydro and another time on ketamine and it fits way too well. Replica also fits perfectly played immediately after

I have mixed feelings on the remaster. It's definitely clearer and in some ways more sonically interesting I guess. It removes a lot of the dreamscapy/heavy quality, which sucks, but it also sounds more beautiful in a hard to describe way (and not just from the high freq boost).

I dislike advocating drugs, too, but all of OPN's stuff combines extremely well with drugs.

imo this is too slow

it takes the groove out of the album. the light slowdowns can be nice though

That's the whole point. Groove is incorrect for this album.

I think the lumbering, delay-accumulating groove makes it more enjoyable.

But even speed aside, to my ears that particular version (youtube.com/watch?v=T5sQQRdki1k) has a robotic/quantize-y edge to it that makes it less fun. I assume because it was slowed by a shitty digital algorithm rather than tape.

I would recommend youtube.com/watch?v=8Pu6I_7lrk8 (original), youtube.com/watch?v=unN7QvSWSTo (slightly slower from original), or the remaster.

Nope, we have multiple people in this thread confirming that this is the original tape rip that most people heard.

It seems that most people prefer the slowest version. I listened to some vaporwave and kind of now what to expect from it. I like the slowing down of some parts, makes some aspects feel more syrupy and hypnotic.

Also, this may interest you:
xiph.org/video/vid2.shtml
tape hiss is mathematically identical to quantization noise.

A2 is missing from this
(some other tracks maybe too but i didnt get that far)