Best director

Who do you consider to be the best director working today? What is your favorite film by them?

Malick
Tree of Life

Malick
Knight of Cups

/thread.
Kiarostami is one of the only directors working today who is canonized amongst directors like Bergman, Rohmer, Tarkovsky, etc. as one of the undisputed greatest world cinema directors of all time.

>GET OUT OF THAT FUCKING CAR

Tangerine.
I still think his best work is ahead of him though.
I'd love to see him take on a Mad Max film. His fast paced, highly stylized naturalism would be perfect for the franchise.

shit, that's a pretty good idea. know what he's up to next?

Love is my favorite by him. One of my favorite films of all time period.
I think he's an even greater visual director than Malick.
He's very self indulgent (and immature), but like with Malick it's part of the charm of his incredibly ambitious films.

Before Sunset

Computer Chess.

>June Pictures has announced that Baker’s next film will be "The Florida Project." The picture will follow a precocious 6 year-old and her rag-tag group of close friends whose summer break is filled with childhood wonder, possibility and a sense of adventure, contrasted by their parents and the adults around them struggling with hard times. While Baker made a lo-fi wonder last time out, this time he’s trading in his iPhone for shooting on 35mm.

My favorite of his is To The Wonder.

The New World is his best work post Badlans.

Reality is his best, but Tale of Tales is so goddamn beautiful to look at.

I want to say Kids seeing how he wrote it and pretty much directed it over Larry's head, but I'll go with Gummo.

I really can't understand the hate on Sofia.
The Bling Ring was a misfire, but other than that she's proven time and time again to be an incredibly gifted and unique auteur.

Although has anybody noticed that Derek looks exactly like a balding Ryan Gosling?

I don't know enough about the multiple working directors today to claim a favorite.

But if people ask me what my favorite movie is, I always pick The Tree of Life. So I guess Malick.

That said, the style worked in ToL; in the movies that followed it feels like a sad parody of itself.

He's only made one film so far, but that one film is a modern masterpiece.

>in the movies that followed it feels like a sad parody of itself
Is that your opinion or are you just parroting the opinions of others seeing how you already admitted that you don't know very much about directors?
To The Wonder is an incredible film because of the style it was shot in.
It was a beautfiful and emotionally powerful portrayal of Love.

Speaking of To The Wonder though, does anybody else see Gaspar Noe's "Love" as a companion piece of sorts?

true patrician answer coming through

It's my opinion. I watched it after Tree of Life and felt that the story didn't justify the directing style. Tree of Life feels like a movie consisting of melded human spirits equally lost in their search for a purpose beyond themselves, the father, mother, and son all at one point becoming the narrative while speaking to the silent universe. The way the movie was shot perfectly suited the way the characters grew and unraveled. I was really taken by it the first time I saw it.

In To the Wonder, the stakes weren't as high, and the camera, despite emulating ToL's movements, lacked the same focus. It bobbed and weaved for the sake of it. It felt like Malick had become so enamored of his visual style that he applied it to Wonder without considering that Wonder's thematic underpinnings didn't suit the style which was a perfect accompaniment to Tree of Life.

>parroting opinions because you already admitted that you don't know very much about directors.

This doesn't even make sense. I wouldn't 'parrot the opinions' of people whose company I quite obviously don't keep by my admission of not knowing a lot about various directors. I watched Tree of Life because of a trailer, not because I had any particular reverence for Malick. I think it's an amazing movie. To the Wonder is a pale imitation of it.

I haven't seen Knight of Cups yet so can't comment on it.

PTA is an acceptable answer, but he's hardly the most patrician director working today since he lacks an original style. He literally just wants to be Olphus, Altman, Scorcese, and Kubrick all at once.
Not to say his films aren't very good, but a truly patrician director needs to have a truly original voice.

I think you need to watch more film desu.
Film is about drawing emotions out of the viewer, not following a structure.
Terry masterfully brings out the emotions of being in love through his film.
Maybe you have to have been in a mutual love to truly appreciate the film.
>the stakes weren't as high
This alone discredits your entire argument.

All art follows a structure devised by the artist to execute the message/theme/vision they've set forth to create. I think you need to develop a better grasp of narrative and stylistic structure--something which exists in all art, whether you're aware of it or not--before making revealing statements, such as:

>not following a structure

My criticism is based exclusively on the fact that Malick followed a structure. Tree of Life was a masterpiece and he took its style and applied it to a movie unbefitting of it. Go ahead and direct your thoughts to him.

>Maybe you have to have been in mutual love.

Maybe you should stick to the discussion of the movie and not insinuate something you don't know about me based on the flimsy notion that people who don't like a poor movie failed to do so because they've never been in love.

>Terry masterfully brings out the emotions of being in love through his film.

You write like someone who's unable to provide concrete illustrations of his beliefs and expects the world to nod along in agreement.

>This alone discredits your entire argument

Your cramped and condescending way of writing to try to be superior bolsters my argument, actually.

get fucked, faggot

Wow.
Keep saying that to yourself bubs.
Maybe one day you'll realize that high functioning autism is made up and you'll have the ability to grow up, become social and fall in love.
To The Wonder is a great film. It's not The Tree of Life and it's not trying to be despite some similarities in visual style. You are looking at this film from the wrong perspective and it shows how simple-minded you really are. I mean you actually tried to use lack of clear focus as a critique on a Malick film? Do you understand how silly that is?

I like Malick the most.

Rob Zombie, Gray and Carruth too.

Brian de Palma but not his newer work.

When somebody resorts to using the word "faggot" as an insult, they've proved their own lack of intellect and maturity.

>these Americo-centric answers

McQueen literally hasn't made a non-masterpiece yet.

airhead director, in the same trashcan with hack like villeneuve

I think he's a pretty talented director. Shame was very good, and 12 Years A Slave surprised me by actually being a genuinely good movie rather than racist propaganda.
I wouldn't call him anywhere close to the best at this point though.
He's simply one of many above average auteurs working.

Herzog
Hard to pick a single film from him, anyway, I'd say Aguirre is my favorite.

Sorry dipshit, but I was talking about the movie. You're the one who needed to exalt himself and suggest that anyone who doesn't like it--of which, according to you, there are plenty of people who didn't--'needs to have been in mutual love' to appreciate it. Don't throw out such limp dicked horseshit and act like a girl when you're noted for it. You're acting like a pissy little faggot because I called you out for being full of shit.

>desu
>bubs
>autism
>grow up

Shut the fuck up. You're an insecure dipshit who's desperately trying to convince himself that the girl that dumped you was a relationship of 'true love' while also deluding yourself into thinking you're somehow smarter for liking a movie that others may not. I don't care if you like To the Wonder. Don't act like a bitch when I, and many others, happen not to.

Tough choice, have to pick three:

PTA: There Will Be Blood

Nicolas Winding Refn: Only God Forgives

Zack Snyder: Batman v Superman

I am a girl.
Not everybody on Sup Forums is a chicken tender loving dick wearer.

>Zack Snyder
I don't think is the right thread for you.
Maybe you belong somewhere with people among a similar maturity and intellectual level.
Somewhere like Sup Forums perhaps?

>Zack Snyder in the same thread as Kiarostami and Malick
Why is the world so full of stupid people?

Found the total fucking plebs

Zack Snyder is a glorified music video director who is delusional enough to believe himself to be an intellectual when in reality he's just an edgy 14 year old.
Look at his adaptation of Watchmen? He didn't even know what he was adapting.
Sucker Punch is one of the worst films of all time.
He's the single worst director working today and I'm baffled that somebody would have the gall to try and put him in this thread.

Okay cutey, I'll humor you.
What is so great about Snyder?

Like PTA and Refn he conveys a substantial amount of information through imagery. He doesn't fill his films with childish exposition through dialogue like most other directors, and the dialogue that does convey information is often spoken through metaphors or indirect allusions.

He is an excellent director and one of the few big budget auteurs left in Hollywood.

Few directors have conveyed information as subtlety as he did in the nightmare sequences in BvS. He really puts you inside the heads of his characters.

Yeah, as I thought. This is just bait.

>through metaphors
Hamfisted metaphors.
>or indirect allusions
I don't think you know what indirect means.

>can't contest it because he knows it's true

That's how it starts. The fever... the rage... that turns good men... cruel.