Hey Sup Forums, what is the most effective martial art for real world self defense?

Hey Sup Forums, what is the most effective martial art for real world self defense?

Don't say Krav Maga, we all know it's a meme.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5ODMUbe7J-I&t=14s
youtube.com/watch?v=6rfMajEy8lc
youtube.com/watch?v=U02E2sjwlLM
youtube.com/watch?v=QxdpXIJ8zyE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

pocket sand

This

Full contact Tai Chi

/thread

I can only attest to Kung Fu, as it is the only one I have practiced. Never really had to fight anyone on the street and stuff, but hey, considering I'm learning some form of martial art as an adult, something is better then nothing.

judo

It's Krav Maga.

>Martial art
>real world
Nope sorry.

Gun-Fu.

There is no best single martial art. It's better to learn some things from all

Arm wrestling

You're all wrong. It's Muay Thai for for most situations, or BJJ if you have the luxury of fighting someone 1v1 without his friends kicking you in the face.

Muay Thai, or Kung Fu if you don't mind the pseudo-religious shit. Whatever you do don't go Karate.

Boxing or Muay Thai because it includes elbows knees and kicks (which will probably never be thrown in real world self defense) and BJJ.

what...? lmao do you think it only exists in movies or some shit?

Probably wrestling.

My buddy low kicked someone's legs out from under him once. It hurt him really fucking bad and he backed right off.

Boxing isn't really a self-defense strategy, it's a sport. But, it's a sport where the objective is to build yourself up and trim yourself so strongly, that you can beat another man unconscious relatively quickly, with just your fists.

Taking a punch needs to be addressed in self defense, and boxing can prepare you for it. Granted gloved vs ungloved there will be a difference but everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face.

My dick
youtube.com/watch?v=5ODMUbe7J-I&t=14s

I started researching this awhile ago. it's hard to choose because they emphasize different aspects of fighting. here's what I came up with:

overall: sanshou
striking: muay thai, kyokushin karate
striking supplements: boxing, kickboxing
grappling: judo, jujutsu
groundwork: BJJ, sambo
weapons: eskrima

buy a gun and train with it

but BJJ and Boxing will be a solid combo add a little judo or wresting for take downs

And don't forget learning how to guard from strikes and deliver fast knockout blows without telegraphing them.

Honestly a person with just a half a year of boxing experience would win most street fights.

Brazilian jiu-jitsthe first five UFC shows should tell you that

If you want a martial art you can go with muay thai I guess.
If you want street fight with no sport rules, no zen philosophy frills and, well, effectiveness in the unpredictable environment of a street fight well you could try and be less of a retarded faggot and find a reputable krav maga instructor with a decent lineage

Just buy a fucking glock

Nerve gas jitsu

Dubs is truth

and to add to groundwork - folk, freestyle, and greco-roman wrestling.

muay thai + jujitsu

Oh yeah, the god damn oath of the sport is to hit without getting hit. Even then you learn to take punches in stride, how to redirect the energy, how to not pass out.

Don't post picture of good-looking men like this, it makes me horny. No homo.

Unless you are a little bitch who can't take some pain during training, Krav Maga is actually the way to go, real fights don't play by any rules and neither does Krav Maga. Put your faith in the Jew Jitsu.

Isn't that what they teach old ladies in those "don't be a victim" classes?

yes, krav maga is a meme. it's a mcdojo art that markets itself with BRUTAL STREET EFFECTIVENESS LOL.

this

Fought in Mma comps. Don't have to believe me. Bjj one on one. Boxing for mutipal opponents. It's that simple.

if you have a man-bun you aren't allowed to have opinions on fighting, guns, beer or any sport.

I fight for pussy and glory nothin more. And my bunn helps with one. Can u guess? Also I wear speedos into battle so fuck u

You two are cute. You should like fuck or something.

What is man-bun? That stupid onionn on the back of his head? Oh what an original soul

Rex Kwon Do doe

*cough* pussy m8..

break the wrist, walk away

Whatever Morgan does with that stupid stick on TWD

I've taken down two opponents at once in a bar fight with Systema. One claimed to know MMA but I doubt that from how easily I took him down. I've only been studying it two years.

OP do you have any experience in self defence already?
When I was younger I used to box, but I lived in an environment that wasn't always "fair" in terms of fights (usually a bunch of dudes jump you at once) so I started looking for something a little more robust in like 2006.
Anyways, that's when I got really into making pipebombs.
It only takes one adequately made pipebomb to eliminate several targets (or at least seriously injure them) and typically, you don't even need to USE the pipebomb, the threat is often enough to disuade attackers.
I can't post links here for obvious reasons, but you should consider carrying at least one or two on you.
Hope it helps!

Why haven't any of you posted this yet?

>youtube.com/watch?v=6rfMajEy8lc

>weapons: two puny sticks

>not a sword, a weapon designed purely to fight off humans.

Jeet kune do.
Philosophically it makes the most sense as well. Use what is most practical and what you are best at.
"I fear not the man who practised 10000 moves one time. But I fear the man who practised one move 10000 times." - Bruce Lee
Have no style or "martial art" I do recommend applying the philosophy of Bruce Lee to martial arts though.

lol, swordsmanship is not practical in the modern era.

Boxing. Boxers are fucking insane.

As someone trained in BJJ, boxing and judo. Nothing prepared me for a three on one fight. I came off the better but martial art trains you for single combat. My size and toughness from rugby got me thru.
> take em down and break em down.

Ive taken Tae Kwon Do for 8 years now and boxing and MMA for about 3, the truth Ive found in my practice and speaking with masters is nothing is perfect and solid. It's like what Bruce Lee said in his Jeet Kune Do philosophy. Take what works and build on it, take what doesn't work and throw it away. Yes I'm paraphrasing. Just be water my friends.

/thread

Why? Plus I know of thousands of practitioners and martial arts clubs that dissagree.

If swordsmanship is useless than so is martial art. Swordsmanship is a martial art. And guns beat sword just as easily if not easier than sticks.

there's nothing wrong with pursuing that, but we can't carry swords around. it's not early modern europe or edo period japan.

eskrima covers sticks, knives, etc and hand to hand, that's why I'd consider it most useful for weapons coverage.

i did karate, judo and tatsuryu-bushido.
all i know is that every sportsman was weak vs boxers.

i'd learn boxing or kickboxing seperatly with judo.

Kumite Shotokan
www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQoLMIkbeBA

the OP is asking about the most effective/practical martial arts.

fighting with knives/sticks/improvised weapons is more practical than dueling with a sword.

It's also what most self-respecting militaries in the world teach for hand-to-hand fighting..

Why can't we carry sword around? I guess it depends on the laws of your country but here in America we have a constitutional right to bear arms, swords included.

okay, you win.

This...

Judo is also legit because of the throwing people around shit can be useful if your teacher isn't a purist and trains no gi...

Jitsu is great 1v1 but someone will just kick you in the head while you break his friends arm.

Muay thai for the clinch game, elbow and knees are BRUTAL in Street/against uneducated fighters

Long hair has been shown is study to give men more testosterone than average. In other words you could say that man-bun is manlier than you.

Which is great when your face is coveted in Vaseline..

It's a sport that principally consists of punching and being punched so I wouldn't write it off

Systema

/thread

If it's 1v2 your fucked when you take one down...that's why you need a stand up game aswell.

Krav Maga is more than some Archer shit

muay thai

You gotta realize that is a Jewish martial art so naturally over half the population of Sup Forums thinks it's a meme.

This.

MMA evolved out of a fighting competition that allowed ALLEN martial arts. It's all Mauy Thai and BJJ dominated now because the others, especially hippy bs like Kung fu, got rekt and they gave up trying to win. Kung Fu, Thai Chi, Akedo and all that literally make you WORST at defending yourself. Headbutt is king.

HITLER DID NOTHING WRONG!

Literally the opposite. Balding men have the most testosterone.

Most fights end in ~

Gun

>not watching this video

This will teach you absolutely everything you need to know about self defense. Forever.

gun kata youtube.com/watch?v=U02E2sjwlLM

this is kinda true but it's not the whole story. sanshou is also successful in mma, and it's based on kung fu. judo is also useful.

really anything involving short punches and elbow strikes will fuck anyone up if you know what your doing

I agree with this user, boxing is NOT good for self defense. Sure, it might be better than absolutely no training at all, but any boxer would lose to any MMA fighter in an actual no rules fight.

Wing Chun obviously

Is about Kung Fu or Akedo but Thai Chi is a very defensive martial art and probably has the best blocks and redirection than any other martial art.

I hate to cite a movie but ever seen Blood and Bone well all of Bones moves are Thai Chi inspired.

getting cut with an elbow will end a fight pretty quick

theres some evidence that the same gene governs both facial hair and male pattern baldness

IE: you cannot have a hair of head, and a badassed beard at the same time. current thinking is the gene points to one or the other, not both.

Just say Muay Thai like everyone else you degenerate hipster.

1 on 1 has to be jiu jitsu right? Break an arm and you've won

More than one person though and you're a bit fucked

>Outdated and impractical

Oh I'm going to limit my strikes to a small space instead of attacking his entire body hurr.

Sounds like a Hawaiian dish.

I've heard of some kind of Warrior Island or something. I'm searching for it but coming up with nothing. I remember watching a tv show about some MMA fighter who was traveling the world learning different weapon and combat skills and he was invited to the private island for a week if I remember.

>youtube.com/watch?v=QxdpXIJ8zyE

Youre insane if you really think that.

every town has an actual MMA gym where you'll learn effective kickboxing/MT and wrestling/jiu jitsu/general grappling. This obviously crushes everything else, you can watch cage fighting for case study if you really want.

Yellow bamboo

Um. Martial arts all fit the Dawkins/Blackmore definition of memes. Or memeplexes at least.

wing chun has counter striking down to an art form. thats why they practice on the pole that usually spins