I guess /Prod/

Is there actually a working cracked version of the newest serum version for mac?

/Prod/-general I guess
Is anyone willing to share cracked plugins? I will reciprocate.

What are you favourite plugins? I discovered the classic valhalla reverb and it sounds pristine. Definitely recommend it

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=D7tMy1eA9DQ
clyp.it/ar5jsmng
youtube.com/watch?v=JmkDMTU-hb4
clyp.it/0t5tpgdk
clyp.it/satw4ipy
clyp.it/vaemrzzf
clyp.it/qclf4dhz
clyp.it/1arowelr
clyp.it/ibsxbegu
clyp.it/2qkxrboe
clyp.it/s5duvyvm
analoguerenaissance.com/D80017/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>you trying out the shop synth

youtube.com/watch?v=D7tMy1eA9DQ

So used to play all my songs in major/minor scale and I started getting bored after a while, so now I'm trying borrowing chords from other keys and I'd love to get some feedback about the harmony on this one.

clyp.it/ar5jsmng

HOW TO MIX DRUMS GUYS? HELP
I MEAN HOW TO MAKE THEM LOUDER

LOOK AT THIS. I'M UNABLE TO MAKE THE WHOLE MIX LOUDER TO THE dB LIMIT BECAUSE OF THE DRUMS AND THEIR PEAKS.

IF I GET THE DRUMS TO THE LEVEL OF THE OTHER INSTRUMENTS SO THESE PEAKS DONT GET THAT LOUD, THE DRUMS GET LOST IN THE MIX

IF I COMPRESS THE DRUMS AND THE MASTER HARDLY THE DRUMS GET LOUDER IN THE MIX AND LOSE THESE PEAKS, AND I'M ABLE TO MAKE THE MIX LOUDER, BUT THE DRUMS LOOSES ITS PUNCH AND ATTACK.

WHAT THE HELL? I SEE MIXES WHICHS SPECTRUM IS COMPLETELY FLAT WITH NO DYNAMICS, AND THEIR DRUMS AND ALL INTRUMENTS STILL HAVE LOTS OF PUNCH, ATTACK AND DEFINITION.

just to clarify, I know I'm still playing the major/minor scale, I just started borrowing chords that contain notes that are off key, which I never did before.

Capitalize dem drums, boom.

That's fairly normal, in terms of balance, trust your ears over what things look like

Put a pop song in your daw and you'll see what their drums look like

Sounds pretty dissonant in a bad way.

>how to make drums louder
Turn up their volume and use techniques such as parallel compression to get them to punch more.

>Put a pop song in your daw and you'll see what their drums look like

Yeah dude
This is what i reffered to on the last line on my post

Look at this
The drums arent a peak louder than anything
Yet theyre loud in the mix and with a punchy attack

>what things look like
Thats not what i'm doing. I'm showing how the drum peaks look like to point how they dont let me get the other instruments louder.

If just turn up the drums volume they turn into sparse peaks like first pic. If i compress them to get them louder they lose all the attack and turn into a filler mass

How the hell are you supposed to not make it sound dissonant in a bad way if you are playing out of key, is there any secret besides trusting your ears? Because I did that and according to what you said I failed miserably.

I'm playing everything in D major scale but the piano chords which are:

A-B-E-G#
E-F#-B-D#
B-C#-F#-A#
G-A-D-F#

So the only dissonance that could happen would come from D# and G# which are out of scale.

There's no problem with the drums peaking, as long as you do it right, gotta get the transient right but not too much.

Stravinsky's Rite of Spring is one of the many examples where dissonance sounds god like, or this

youtube.com/watch?v=JmkDMTU-hb4

I still don't understand how you'd judge that objectively, I'd love to listen to the music theory behind this.

There is a problem, it is what im posting about. I want to make the mix louder, but if i just turn up its volume it will clip on the drum's loud peaks

Why does anyone need MIDI i/o anymore?

Maybe if your track had a limiter on it, that would squash it good

When we're talking about dissonance we usually talk about a chord that doesn't fit into traditional harmony (triads, extensions etc). the chords you posted aren't exactly dissonant, ABEGs is an add4 chord, EFsBDs is an add4 as well, BCsFsAs is an add4 again and GADFs is yet again, an add4, they have a right time and place to be used, a dissonant chord would be something like the beginning of the Rite of Spring's second movement.

Use a limiter/compressor then.

A compressor takes away the punch/attack/percussive caracther

>sounds pretty dissonant in a bad way
>the chords you posted aren't exactly dissonant
Maybe you are not the same person, I'm confused.

Chords on the left side sound off to me

for things that have midi i/o

i send tempo to my kaoss pads and use an old electronic piano as a master keyboard with my midi i/o

On the contrary, a compressor can add even more punch if you do it right (mess around with attack/release settings)
A limiter doesn't change the sound at all if it's transparent enough unless you're clipping the shit out of your track.

I am, the chords that you posted aren't dissonant but the clyp is, the piano isn't playing the same things as the pad.

Thanks man i'll mess with the limiter and compressor see if i work it

upgrade. everything new is usb and as less latency

what the fuck midi doesnt have latency does it? is there latency even using an interface or fasttrack?

The pad is playing EAEBAG, all those notes are part of the D major scale and are contained within the 4 chords I posted, I wish I would understand how to play off key without sounding dissonant in a bad way.

Not him but Stravinsky uses bitonality sometimes, two keys at the same time, but the intervallic relations still loosely conform to old school counterpoint. Like an abstract painting with traditional form / composition.

Counterpoint / harmony can go out the window with dissonance, the problem with your clip is it just doesn't sound right even in a dissonant sense and its hard to explain without knowing all the notes. The second piano chord in the break down sounds way off, maybe because you're top line is in D major and the chord has a D sharp when we're used to D and E, to the point where it sounds like you don't know what you're doing, especially followed by the next part.

I would say study harmony and counterpoint up to an expert level but that would take years. Don't know mate, sonic youth do dissonance really well without having any training in theory, its up to your ears, and I suspect you're not listening to it objectively enough or you're not very musical.

First guy, this guy's post on point

yes it does. depends on the interface, most have latency though, even expensive ones, especially when you have lots of shit going on. so fuck midi i/o, use usb. its 20 fucking 17 nigga

How do they fucking deal with it? Use it for a more laid-back and natural feel caused by the tempo oscilations?

I appreciate your comment, I also suspect my ears are not that well trained, that's why I came here in the first place. I've relied on playing just the white keys over the years and it has been so easy making music that way that now I might be fucked.

chords:
A-B-E-G#
E-F#-B-D#
B-C#-F#-A#
G-A-D-F#
pad:
EAEBAG
bass:
AEBG

>minor chords
>overused progressions
>harmonic minor scale
>100bpm
>808 samples
>reverb for days
>moody
like fucking clockwork

direct monitoring

so what it sounds good. result over method bitch

explain pls

Hello, first time posting here. First of all, excuse me for my English since it's not my first language!

I've been making music with only soft synths and DAW. and i've never thought that i'll want hardwares.. but lately i got little bored of all those knobs and faders on the screen.

i also want to try little different method to get different sound ..and it would be great if i can get motivated from that! To be honest i'm tired of those same EDM sounds and music. i want to achieve my own unique sound and music style.. (no offense, i'm not saying i can't do with soft synths, i just want different experience)

..maybe I just like the experience of touching, playing with instruments..sometimes it feels so hollow compared to the time i played guitar with pedals and amps. maybe i want to have a feeling that i communicate with instruments (sounds little lunatic haha)

Anyway, I've been doing research about synths, learning the history was also so much fun. now i want to have my first hardware synth, and i think i'll try to get more and more. I want to use them in my DAW, probably will process a lot.(with softwares or even willing to get guitar pedals)

For the moment I'm obsessed with Juno 106. the reasons are pretty simple: many of my favorite musicians use it. it sounds silly.. but to be honest that's why i got interested in it. AND it isn't as pricey as Moog or DSI synths. (little scared of getting first synth for over $1000)

after doing research, listening to demo videos made me love the sound of 106 so much. it doesn't seem powerful but i think it has it's own unique atmosphere in it's sound, especially that chrous! (Justice used Juno 106 a lot, and i think they got heavy sound with processing so i am willing to experiment this..or maybe i'll be wanting moog in the future for this thing)

But the problem is, in my country(south korea), it's hard to get Juno in a good condition. dead voice chips everywhere.. so people fly to Japan-yes, home of juno- and get a good one. (probably for 800usd-1000 i guess) but i've also read even their voice chips are dead in few months. :(

Then I found this reissue called JU-06, got me so excited! yes it's not analogue but I'm pretty impressed from those comparison videos.(sorry if it sounds silly, since i'm not used to hardware synths!) now I can't get this machine out of my mind. no voice chip issues, new machine, almost same sound in a decent price.. seems like good decision to me. except it has 4 voice which is just like 106 with 2 dead voice chips.......if I get two of JU-06, the price will be almost same as the original. it feels like Roland is playing with me, ha..

Do you think it's a good decision for the first (hardware)synth? that microbrute (i want really heavy sound too) and minilogue also attract me(and they are analogue) but since the boutiques are limited I have a feeling that those boutiques will be out of stock in an year or so.

I'm thinking about this for a week. t's little pricey which makes hard to make decision. (actually I can't get JU in my country so i need to order from The States. will be $400 in the end. but not only this, any hardwares will be like this. shipping, custom, taxes and all -_-)

I'm sorry for this long and boring posting. I'll learn English harder to write better posting later. Thank you for reading!

Thoughts on this so far? I've hit a brick wall and I'm unsure of where to keep going with this track.

clyp.it/0t5tpgdk

Pretty fuckin cool not gonna lie, just take a break, take a walk and try to go crazy with the structure but you have something solid here, I'd also play around with the voicings of the first and the second chords.

Anyone on here actually know music theory? I have a chord naming problem that google isn't solving for me.

If I put a small sample of dub dialog of pic related into a song (buried into the mix),
what are the chances of me getting a copyright claim / sued if I try to publish it and profit of it?

It always depends, if your song blows up you be sure that they're gonna sue your ass but you'll be big so it won't matter lmao

What do you like about it? As far as voicing goes, do you think I should use those same chords but with a different synth patch or something like that?

I'm trying not to go crazy with the structure for sure, but I'm always leery that the track might seem too repetitive or monotonous after a while.

How should I go about releasing music /prod/?

post some here first, so we can tell you to not waste your time with it

>mfw this exact scene happened to me today
>mfw the black drummer topped me behind the strip mall immediately after

Only if you have a fast attack setting.

Slow attack settings can make the drums punchier because you are effectively increasing the amount of dynamic range between the attack and sustain segments of the sound.

>clyp.it/ar5jsmng

i like the sounds, but there something off about the way the sounds mix

you should read about modes if you want to expand your melodic playground

How to set up a compressor for the master? Since theres multiple instruments and attacks going on on different tempos.

>How to set up a compressor for the master?
with a shotgun to your head.
master comp is really hard to get right

this
delete all the plugins on your main bus, do your best to make a great sounding mix
let someone else master your stuff

Go to musictheory.net and teoria.com and start learning music theory.

I dig it. It's very loungey though, if that's the vibe you're going for.

>tfw you realize you are your worst enemy and critic

I don't know how to help myself. I always get positive replies, but I just can't finish anything. The song never ends up as something that I can be proud of in the end.

Should I just accept it and continue finishing shit I don't care about enough, until I start getting my own style?

>loungey
Is it loungy and repetitive to the point that it just falls into the background? Or does it manage to kind of hold your attention a bit.

>Should I just accept it and continue finishing shit I don't care about enough, until I start getting my own style?
Yes. but try to be just a little innovative and don't be afraid to take breaks when you're out of juice.

sometimes i won't produce for weeks or even months. then i hear a song on the radio and immediately want to try to copy a synth or a chord progression or something and it starts up again.

What do you like about it? As far as voicing goes, do you think I should use those same chords but with a different synth patch or something like that?

I'm trying not to go crazy with the structure for sure, but I'm always leery that the track might seem too repetitive or monotonous after a while.

Dunno, sounds pretty easy-listening, composition-wise ( no offense). Production and mixing is good- it's at that level where you wouldn't notice it isn't professional, if you know what I mean.
I just personally dig more experimental and unusual sound-design desu.

That's really dope desu. Love the chords and arp. Solid af mix too. idk where you should take it though.

I wanna master myself, no money to paying others.

How to master?

Usually my masters is just increasing the kick & bass frequencies, cutting around 2k. I wont try to use compressor on the master anymore, will just run a analog tape sim on it for a similar effect of making stuff louder.

What's the EQing and overall mixing you did on it? Pls tell.

subtlety is the key.
your master bus is sacred ground. a little goes a long way.

clyp.it/satw4ipy

its me again

try to make short tracks where you just play around with everything

I get what you mean.
>I just personally dig more experimental and unusual sound-design desu.

So something more like this would grab your attention?:clyp.it/vaemrzzf

Thanks for the feedback, what do you think about this version? A bit better? Still not working?

clyp.it/qclf4dhz

What do you guys like about the mix in particular? I personally think my mixing is probably one of my weakest aspects so i'm interested to hear you guys say that.

hey guys, what do you think of my most recent /prod/? let me know your thoughts and any feedback you come up with.

clyp.it/1arowelr

that piano has got to vary more
you really need to get better drum samples if this is the kind of music youre going for.
the vocals need to be processed a lot more
the arrangements are pretty fun, however, really like what you're aiming for, but there's a long way to go.

what processing in particular?

what drum samples would you recommend?

personally i'd eliminate it altogether, replace it with one or two leads and arps. if you do keep it, try lowering the volume. overall everything sounded too loud, like all the sounds were fighting each other for space. try panning the hi hats to one side, the piano to another side, stereo enhance the chord synths (or just send it to two different tracks, and pan those two tracks to two sides). the bass isnt loud enough, maybe try to pump it up a bit.

now with the drums, i think the issue isnt the sample themselves, but the way you process them. my biggest issue is with the hi hats, they sound inconsistent and a bit distorted at times, and sometimes the way they're arranged is just annoying. the other drums are really nice though, especially the way you used the percs.

try listening to Jamie XX's In Colour (the whole album) for inspiration

I can hear everything

clyp.it/ibsxbegu

first real beat I've ever made after focusing mainly on house music. Feedback appreciated.

OP here.
My stuff always always hovers somewhere between 90-100 bpm. I wanna make hard hitting, dark stuff though- how can I change my default setting of always making slower-paced stuff?

by turning up the tempo and changing everything else to match the speed.
some drum patterns and melodies sound like shit when it's sped up even just a little bit. gotta have it in mind that everything goes faster so you gotta make notes longer and such

So I posted this clyp.it/ar5jsmng and you told me it was pretty dissonant.

What do you think about the new version, is it fucked too? clyp.it/qclf4dhz

One thing to know is that you shouldn't be doing any more than 1-2db gain reduction per compressor. You can run two, maybe three. But you probably don't want any more than 4db max on the master.

sigh. I figured that much. Thanks

>clyp.it/ibsxbegu

The intro up to around 00:30, you may want to play around with differentiation in how loud and how soft things are, just about everything. It also sounds like it could use another layer in there. Maybe add something that's somewhere between sound effects and white noise. White noise would just be boring, though.
Maybe even have a bass synth in there with a very basic melody.

00:55 - 01:24
This could use a bassline. The guitar riff isn't bad, but the notes are getting repetitive. Do some tweaking here and there with some notes, so it's less repetitive. Repetitive is good, but not that repetitive.

01:54 - 02:07
I was thinking that you could possibly repeat that, but change up the clap rhythm a little. Just an idea, not a well thought out one. Maybe add some chimes in there.

Maybe that's what this whole piece needs, some chimes.

02:44 - 03:03
Definitely needs more layers. The reverse played stuff is a nice touch, but it's not enough to hold down that section on it's own; needs more layers. Maybe chimes.

04:14
Your bass melody is boring. Change it up. Add some rhythm in that bass melody.

>clyp.it/qclf4dhz

much better, i like it

also it sounds like a game track

Reminder that hearing damage is permanent (with the current state of science and technology);
so, don't mix your music at too loud of a volume!

I'm glad it turned out better, thanks man, that's why I'm always coming to /prod/, there's lots of constructive criticism over here.

>clyp.it/qclf4dhz

This is some of the best and most thorough feedback I've ever gotten. Thanks man appreciate it

Am I the only girl on prod?

I woke up one morning with a spikes remix in my head and I'm trying to make it happen

clyp.it/2qkxrboe

this needs some more work but I'm wondering what exactly

probably not

yes i too am gril

clyp.it/s5duvyvm
any opinions?

(Sorry it took me long to reply, was mixing down a project for a friend)
I like the chord progression and the whole atmosphere you have, your mix is also solid. If you try breaking down your track into distinct sections it won't be boring, right now it just sounds like it's kinda one section.

What genre do you make?

Damn, shit's fuckin lit.

Not bad now, the dissonance is gone.

That kick is tripping me out.

Really reminds me of Stranger Things, good stuff user.

i feel like it has no low frequencies

So I just copped a pair of Yamaha HS7s and a Komplete Audio 6 interface. Big hit to my wallet but it's worth it since I'm serious about music now. Considering I didn't cheap out on the monitors or interface, may as well maintain this mentality in other parts of the studio I'm building. Any particular brand of XLR cables that you guys recommend?

i'm getting a lot of work as a recording-mixing engineer lately, and i was thinking of getting few more upgrades for my studio based in mixing.
i was thinking about a rack or serie500 stereo compressor to get some analog sound, any advice on money spending bros?
currently i have
Genelec 8020 monitors (was thinking about buying some genelec/adam/focal of 7' too)
maudo mtrack8 +rode m5+akgd112+57's+ akg perception120
+maschine+roland jp08+minilogue+volcas and other /prod/ toys

When it comes to cables there's really no difference

neutrik

Focus Scarletti 2i2 a good starter interface for a bedroom rig? I want to connect a midi controller as well should I get one with a midi in/out as well or just get a midi interface separately?

It took me a while to find a really good polysynth. I tried VA synths and old menu-driven analog polysynths, but it was to difficult to jam with other musicians with those synths. I eventually set my eyes on the Mopho x4, and with that I get a good synth that feels and plays like a real instrument with real keys for about $1000 USD. It doesn't have the nice button based patch recall of the Juno series, or the chorus, but I don't have to worry about dead voices.

There is also this guy who makes Juno voice chips. You don't need to soldier, just pop open the hood and swap them out.

analoguerenaissance.com/D80017/

I'd recommend the 2i4 but if you're on a tight budget, it'll have to do.

yeh it's great. All their interfaces have the same audio engines built in so you can't go wrong.

Are you streaming films illegally, user? I'm sorry to tell you that I have reported you to my city's authorities, who have contacted the federal government. I have supplied your name and IP. Get fucked.

I hate to break it to you, but midi over USB is still midi.

Also, Without midi I/o how do you send a clock signal to from one device to another without a computer in between?