Got laid off nearly a year ago. Been applying for positions every day, networking, and trying to make contacts...

Got laid off nearly a year ago. Been applying for positions every day, networking, and trying to make contacts, but I've only gotten 1 interview this whole time. I've literally sent out hundreds of applications with almost no response. I've earned a master's degree, got a double-major bachelor's, graduated at the top of my class, and have executive level management experience and have owned my own relatively large business. Why is this so fucking hard? I've got tons of experience and education. At this point I've just about given up hope. I'm generally a pretty upbeat person, but things get darker and darker as time goes on. Last week I got drunk and put a pistol in my mouth but couldn't pull the trigger. I don't really know how much longer this can go on.

I mean if you have the experience what about trying to start another buisness? Assuming you have good credit score it shouldn't be too terribly hard to get a loan, and you have experience in that field. And just keep looking, try sending applications out of state if you can afford to and see what comes of it. Godspeed user, I have faith in you.

The industry in which I'm experienced is consolidating at a rapid rate. Due to the regulatory burden, startup costs, risk level, and economies of scale, there really isn't any opportunities for small businesses anymore. It is totally dominated by large multinationals.

Well then maybe your best chance really is to start sending out applications out of state. I'm rea sorry for you man. Mind if I ask what kind of buisness you used to own and what happened?

There is a rule. Underselling when you are desperated. Moving to the job when needed. Or when you have the skills, talent, money and idea you make your own stuff.

Work is everywhere. You only have to decide how much you are willing to give before you can take again.

Following your post. You have the skills and the tools. And you owned something before. What happened? Lost controll? If yes scale it smaller. If no, you may have to check for some courses to work up some needed skills. After all you stil learn.

Last thing. Keep yourself together. Don't drink or do drugs. Self care is the key.

One thing. If you burned a lot of resources for one job direction. Stop that. Spread the net. Aim for jobs you may not want as well. And even when you have something small it is still better then nothing. During that you search further.

I would call that Bull. Reason. Multis tent to fuck up customers, employes and shit.

smaller ones may do the same. But they can be moved and worked on realy fast. Give or take some years and then sell the business for a good amount of money. Rinse and repeat.

Sure it will look like you archieved nothing and wasted a lot of material. But you have to move fast when you build up business.

I was in the animal feed/rendering industry.

>Wait until spring of 2017. Then you'll see whats coming back. Keep your head above water.

Make new friends. The best job offers come from word of mouth and making friends will only increase your chances.

I imagine in your line of business that small start ups get squeezed out because your cost price for feed etc is higher than the multinationals who can negotiate much small costs on raw materials due to their insane minimum order quantities? Meaning your selling price is much higher than the big fish. Id say options are -

Start up with a USP of being a "local" business for local people, local ingredients etc, people love to think theyre sticking it to the man.

Or, when working in your industry did you find something really stupid/annoying that you could work out to fix and then sell that idea/product to the big guys on a license basis?

Either way good luck user

Whats your degree in? African American history?

Undergrad: Business Management & Marketing Double Major

Grad: Business Management

Graduated at the top of my class.

>Undergrad: Business Management & Marketing Double Major
>Grad: Business Management
>Graduated at the top of my class.

Sounds like you'd be perfect for bartending.

>start ups get squeezed out because your cost price for feed etc is higher

That is part of it. The economies of scale and startup costs are massive. Takes an investment of millions to even begin. Then you have the fact that there are no smaller businesses left, so you have to scale up massively to get any business. Also, the industry regulations pretty much put all small businesses at a severe disadvantage.

>I was in the animal feed/rendering industry.

Yep...bartending.

Slopping the inebriates, that's what you should go for.

Honestly, I couldn't think of a job I'd be a worse fit for.

Dude. Just Costco for now. Go to a good strong chain and climb the ladder. It can only help you.

Start someplace doing what have you, that way you have something to do to keep you upbeat, and money coming in. Who knows, they might need a manager and you can be it.

Just don;'t dream you will be hired as a CEO someplace. They do not know you yet, so start low, get them to know you and raise up the ranks.

ebonics

Yeah, I figured. I've been applying for many mid and entry level jobs as well. Even got rejected by Best Buy, Walmart and Enterprise.

I throw out over qualified resumes all the time, dumb yours down and you land a job. Then use your knowledge to rise in ranks..

Go apply as a store manager or district manager at a retail store, I mean journeys is really easy( just a lot of hours) and costco pays well

Dude, you are literally me, including the year of constant applications and only hearing callbacks from no-degree required call centers/commission sales.

What the fuck do people with our degrees DO? I wanted to get into analytics but the barrier to entry is so goddam high even with knowing the software.

What are you planning?

Yeah, because you're beyond overqualified, they know you'll leave the moment you get a real job.

Realistically you should just put down your previous work experience and not your graduation date/university

Theres that, but they might think he is a failure with a lot of degrees also.

HR has evolved into algorithms and prediction software. I went to a job club where the HR gal from a fortune 100 company was talking about only hiring people she'd enjoy partying with. Oh great, this explains all the cookie cutter chads who are incompetent.

And she was talking to a group of 50's greybeards who couldn't get a job. This is why

No idea. I've been applying to places in my industry, but also a lot of others as well. I've grown to absolutely hate HR people. It sucks.

Yeah, when you meet the HR bimbo and she's 26 years old and has been doing her job for two years, lol.

Don't know where you are, but if from the states, did you try usajobs.gov?

I did a quick search and it shows roughtly 1000 jobs with "business management"

Why dont u consider moving into a different country OP

also .. where u from

this, own a company with 100+ employees, constantly throw out CVs which are too overqualified

Had a look at it a few times. From what I saw it was mostly contractor or tech work.

That website is so aids. When they send you off-site their forms all take like at LEAST an hour and half to fill out with all their government questions.

I'm guessing like 90% of people would just stop filling out the application halfway because they could be filling out one click applications at at least 20 times the pace.

Landing a gov't job is pretty goddam sweet though, the time could be worth it.

USA. I've lived abroad before.

Yeah, op here. I filled in a couple apps with them and they require you do things like send them a college transcript and copy of your drivers license. Takes forever.

You're not the only one, OP.

I've applied at about 40 jobs troughout all of fucking Europe (entry level jobs, where they require 0-2 years of experience) and never passed the cv screening/online assessment part. Graduated top of my class.

Maybe they don't like me because i'm from shitty Eastern Europe. That's my only guess...

The ATS systems really do suck. I wish companies would go back to actually interacting with applicants and doing real recruiting.