Hey everyone, 26 year old hopeless alcoholic here. I drink daily and when I don't I withdraw...

Hey everyone, 26 year old hopeless alcoholic here. I drink daily and when I don't I withdraw, I've tried detoxing a few times this month with no avail. When I do I get the shakes, heart palpitations, cold / hot sweats, insomnia, sever anxiety / depression, the whole 9.

I recently have come into self harm as well. Cutting my arms up and what not ... I've never done this before until now.

I don't know if I'll defeat this or how long I have left , I'd just like to talk to some like minded people if there are any on here. Thank you

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GY1SLS8xP-E
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

Best of luck man. Got off the juice a little while back. Definitely is a change of lifestyle. You'll make it through, as long as you're not slamming hard liquor all day long you should be O.K.

Takes everyone different situations in life to get sober. You'll find yours just like everyone else.

Are you slamming back the booze now?

At least a bottle of Smirnoff to a bottle n a half a day

Bump

Bump

I was drinking 2 40 oz a day for over a year and I'm only 21. I cut down and took breaks gradually. It helps, I still drink and don't want to quit but take your health seriously bro.

Well shit that's a lot. Do you have a job? Has it affected it at all or affected your personal life.

Also try rehab. Worked for me

I'm addicted to heroin. Never cut myself, but life is awful and I want to die.

I think rehab is the only choice... Currently in bed w a random hookup ... Blahhh, I'm a bartender so it makes things harder

Alcohol withdrawal can be fatal if you go cold turkey. Just ease down on it over the course of a couple weeks, and stop cutting yourself, thats the gayest shit I've ever heard

Haha I have ... Its some teenage shit .... Just rough times brother

Just go for it. and I know you'll never actually hear this from anyone but you don't have to give it up entierly. I went to rehab for opiates and went to all the NA/AA meetings but when I got out I decided to moderate. I still drink and even sometimes use opiates if their around. Hasn't been a problem since.

That might not work for everyone though

Drinking a bottle of wine now.. Hope I don't wake up man

Blimp

I stabbed my self in the stomache .. No teenage shit.. I risked my life

Here's to another sleepless night

smoke weed and you don't care about booze no more. Worked for me.

I'm 28 and in the same boat. Shit sucks m8.

Hey op! I drank a fifth of Smirnoff a day.. I went to rehab and it was a waste of money. I am now currently on probation for dui and getting random alcohol tests. That shit doesn't work either. I'm still drinking. If you actually want to quit, you've got to want to quit. If you don't want to drink, then you won't drink, and if you don't drink you won't get drunk. It is Forrest gumpy type shit, but it's the only way. You've got to want it. Far easier said then done. Addicted brains are fucking stupid

I drink every day, but I read that you drink a bottle of vodka everyday or sometimes more. That is nuts man. I drink a decent amount of beer every day and I don't get the shakes or any of that other shitty stuff. I don't know your life situation bro but if you like vidya, I personally enjoy just playing vidya while casually drinking some tasty brews. Might help you ween off a bit

hello OP.

I'm not an alcoholic but I'm an addict to benzos.
OP you cannot stop drinking just like that, you need to start with "baby steps", what does that mean? at the beginning, don't drink less, but drink something else. if you are drinking vodka change that for cognac for example, then, little by little you can start reducing how much you drink, but you need to swap liquors.

27 yo physician here. 2 years ago. Up to a fifth and a half of rum a day. Tried detoxing myself at least a dozen times. Would make it to day 3-4 and cave. On the last detox I vomited per usual 24 hours after my last drink. Couldn't stop, my body needed alcohol. Horrible anxiety, paranoia, palpitations, sweating.
Vomited so violently I vomited a half liter of blood into the toilet. Got spooked thinking I had a a ruptured esophageal varice (from liver damage) or a stomach bleed. Turns out it was a less severe esophageal tear (called a Mallory Weiss tear).
Checked into the hospital for detox protocol. Went to rehab for 23 days. Worked the program. Came clean with everyone. Got into the gym. Replaced one addiction for another. Got a girlfriend. Got my M.D.

tl;dr seek help
Addiction is a mental illness and there are resources for us

You just have to live through the withdraw and not give up sadly

don't try to stop drinking, just try to drink less and then go to rehab

med student fag here

see a doc about getting some naltrexone, helps with the cravings

as far as the withdrawal symptoms go, it's typically the following depending how addicted you actually are:
8-12 hours - anxiety, tremors, insomnia
12-48 hours - possible seizures
48-96 hours - fever, disorientation, severe agitation

godspeed OP

I love you

wouldn't be better alprazolam?

If you're looking for something over the counter to help you sleep, get some Benadryl. Some studies have shown benefits for anxiety and insomnia during withdrawal.
Worked for me to knock me out and sleep through the worst of the anxiety.

No. Giving an alcoholic a benzo script is not standard of care. Naltrexone is favored.

I figured throwing a benzo into the mix wasn't the best option

assuming this is the 27 yo doc. tip of the hat for the way you handled everything. I'm drinkin a bit too much these days, too.

Bump

Appreciate it. I owe it to a good support system.

moderation is tricky. you have to be able to moderate, which not all of us can. I moderate more or less, but still have super shitty days because I think I can moderate a liter of vodka

addicted brains are fucking stupid... I know man. I call it mental acrobatics, I can' believe all of the rationalization that my mind is capable of.

i bartended up until pretty recently had some strokes do to the life style i use to drink and drug for fun now i do it to kill myself whenever i get the chance fortunately im too depressed to leave the house for weeks at a time now

I fucking hate anxiety, tremors, insomnia. but I experience all of that frequently. I feel I have to drink to sleep. and I don't like waiting for three days of sobriety to sleep normal

Life is Hell...
and
Nothing Matters...

I wish I had the courage to kill myself but I'm a fucking pussy and that just makes me want to kill myself even more

I hate myself

I'm a fuck up... a failure

A 26 year old virgin

I have dreams but I lack ambition

My mind is fucked

I don't do drugs but I probably should

and anything I say sounds more like an excuse than a reason which makes me wonder... what exactly is the fucking difference?

When I've used Benadryl to help me sleep after drinking, I've noticed that it makes me much more lethargic, even 12 hours after, and sometimes seems to make my shakes worse.

Big keks

Blah and I have a 12 hr shift in 12 hrs ... 6 of which I probably won't be able to sleep

dude I know... I sleep for maybe 4-5 hours, then wake up, have to drink more, and if I'm lucky sleep for another two, and then have to decide If I need a few beers before I get going to work... but that's shitty, and not what I want to do...

OP, I probably drink more than 99% of people that drink on a regular basis.

I have stopped drinking, and I didn't like it. I like drinking.

Yes, I have had some minor issues in the past (both legal and otherwise), but I have somewhat learned to moderate my behavior.

The key is, is to try to be a functioning boozer. For me, this means never drinking in the morning. Give your body some time to recoup. I only get hosed in the evenings.

Always take care of all business before hitting the bottle. Business before pleasure, always, because as you know drunks can get lazy with things.

Sometimes the biggest challenge is getting to work on time (sleeping in/sleeping through alarm), but I have managed to keep this down to a minimum... I'm a good employee, and my boss cuts me some slack the odd time this happens. If I was a shit employee, I'd be gone.

The hookup I railed twice left, I have work in less than 12hrs and I'm awake and maybe tipsy? Not going to be able to sleep... Wtf now?

i miss it now that i cant do it i loved bartending and partying 6 days a week making bank granted it only lasted 3 years

now have to go back into shit tier entry level jobs due to the memory loss and paralysis from the strokes

Fighting all urges to message most recent relationship woman.... Ughhh being independent and living on your own can suck dick sometimes

you are such a "Devil's Advocate," but yes. If I want to drink at an early time, I need to be sober first... i have to have time to normalize myself between drinking sessions. Can't drink until 200am and then keep going at 800am. I have to go 5- 7 hours without drinking to be normal.

26 here. Was like that 2 years ago. Recently relapsed and lost my gf and house. You gotta just taper off and get back in control man. Shit sucks I know

not sure what to tell you except yeah man that fucking sucks, but maybe the doc would also prescribe a small amount of benzos along with naltrexone to help you sleep for a few days

Bump

seems to be alot of 26yos in this thread

im 26 too

Op here, not having insurance sucks .... average er visit to detox and get meds for a few hours is 1.5k

i dropped off my moms insurance yesterday gonna try for some obamacare soon

My birthday was yesterday... did nothing and no one called me, mid detox period.... ended up getting drunk tonight..

I am exactly 26, for a few more days. Struggling with alcohol for maybe 8 years.

bud, hey fuck everyone else. you gotta maintain sobriety for your own health and wellness.

Yup

shit mine too user happy birthday Sup Forumsro

2 40s of beer or fortified shit? That really isn't anything ridiculous

Happy birthday brother, mine was the 21st but we are on the 23rd so I was wrong in that sense .... either way, fuck it

Lmao not even true. What's up with you weedfags always chiming in nonsense like this?

And for the record I was smoking an eighth a week for several years

hey goodnight boys, I'm about to pass out. good luck to you all, stay cheerful

JOIN THE ARMY DOUBLE DAWG, THEY WILL WHIP YOUR LIMP DICK INTO SHAPE. DOUBLE DAWG. I'M IN HONG KONG RIGHT NOW WE'RE ABOUT TO KILL A BUNCH OF CHING CHONGS FOR INFRINGING ON OUR FREEDOMS.

I knew a girl who was 48 and drank every day from 22 - 48. She's totally fine and there's nothing wrong with her.

Keep up the good work.

I joined the Navy and did my 4 years you piece if shit, went on 2 deployments all over the middle East and Asia. Go fuck yourself

Mmmmmmm

THIS IS COPYPASTA ..BUT WHY? WHY THE FUCK DOES COPYPASTA EXIST. MY GUESS IS THIS IS A MARKETING BOT.

GOOD 3 U DOUBLE DAWG...I KILLED A TON OF SAND NIGS AND NOW I'M KILLING THE GAME.

I did that for a while.. Worked 3 12 hour shifts a week, 4 off. I'd drink 15-20ish drinks every night off and 1-2 mornings after work (3rd shift) I'd drink up to a 6 pack.

It's a tough lifestyle to maintain. You'll fuck up. Being a long term functioning alcoholic is like saying you can indefinitely walk a tight rope. Even if you are disciplined and careful about it you can fuck it up.

I'm a 26 year old alcoholic too. Quit drinking 3 days ago and still going. Finally had enough. I'm not saying im never going to enjoy a beer again, but i have been partying non stop for about 6 years now and its got really bad. My withdraw don't seem as bad as you though. I got shaky hands and when i sleep i have really weird dreams and night sweats...i wake up multiple times a night with the bed soaked and me dripping with sweat. On the plus side, i have an appetite again and have been eating regularly again. I dunno just hang in their user it sucks but we can do it.

Thanks bro

This. If you become a true alcoholic (getting even minor withdrawal without drinking) you will fuck up eventually.. likely soon. Once you become alcoholic, you will need 4-5 shots as soon as you wake up. That is considered excess to the normal human being, and people will certainly smell it on you by the time it is noon are you are probably 8 shots in.

Uhhh not true my friend

I went alcoholic after my wife left me.
I feel you

You should quit before its too late, you will have an awful time but thats better than end up in a grave, it only goes downhill once you are alcoholic for real

Why not?

hEY DAWG, I KAN 12 STEP UR ASS INTO SOBRIETY .... LET'S DO IT..STEP ONE ..GOD IS GOOD..STEP 2 GOD IS GREAT..STEP 3 BELIEBE IN WHATEVER U WANT WE DON'T CARE...STEP 4 TIME TO GET SERIOUS YOU BELIEVE IN JESUS OR GO OUT AND GET DRUNK STEPS 5-12 GOD BLAH BLAH BLAH...NOW UR SOBER ..UR WELCOME.

Unless you are a terminal alcoholic... more than likely your not going to take 8 shots before fucking noon... I drink about a bottle to a bottle and a half of vodka per day but i space it out, if I took 8 shots before noon I'd be sucking dick for booze as I would have no job to pay for it

Also a withdrawing alchy will not take 4-5 shots upon waking... Maybe a swig or two from the bottle to stop whatever withdraw is happening .... Get out of this thread child

Feel for you brother, I ruined everything smoking weed and doing acid almost every night for a few years. Dropped out of college, lost everything or pawned it for drugs, manipulated my girl friend to the point of her giving up. For this last year after being arrested and on a 6 month probation for driving with a gram of weed I finally quit but now drink excessively. What I hate most is that I have the option of being happy but not chemically, I have loving parents, an amazing girl I really connect with, looks and I could even finish my degree. But now I'm out of cards, my ex wants to go legal on repaying her, my car broke down, I have stacks of bills and student debt not to include my massive medical from when I tried to pathetically kill my self at the beach. I used to think I'd just forget who I was and run away to live a simple life but I will never escape the realization that I'm just a terrible person. God I just want to die, I just can't even think about letting my mom go through that though. Anyways, hold in their man; you aren't alone. Oh and I drink about a fifth and sometimes a 6 pack throughout meals. I work out but always when I'm hammered and feeling the addrenaline.

Jesus I'm drunk, I just posted a screen cap

Bump

youtube.com/watch?v=GY1SLS8xP-E

been listening to this album recently while drinking

Get yourself committed to a psych ward for a week or two. They'll wean you off the booze using lorazapam. Way easier than quitting cold

Most actual alcoholics will wake up several times throughout the night to drink, will take 3 shots to wake up in the morning, and drink more before noon just because they want to. And what is it with the samefaging?

Niggeer

Same OP just work hard on a project and die young, arts pretty good for self destruction, just make something that describes your feels and then an hero

Suicide is a cure all my friend