Let’s say you have an axe. Just a cheap one, from Home Depot. On one bitter winter day...

Let’s say you have an axe. Just a cheap one, from Home Depot. On one bitter winter day, you use said axe to behead a man. Don’t worry, he was already dead. Or maybe you should worry, because you’re the one who shot him.
He had been a big, twitchy guy with veiny skin stretched over swollen biceps. Teeth filed into razor-sharp fangs, you know the type. And you’re chopping off his head because, even with eight bullet holes in him, you’re pretty sure he’s about to spring back to his feet and eat the look of terror right off your face. On the follow-through of the last swing, though, the handle of the axe snaps in a spray of splinters. You now have a broken axe. So you go to town with your axe. You go to the hardware store, explaining away the dark reddish stains on the broken handle as barbecue sauce. You walk out with a brand new handle for your axe.
The repaired axe sits undisturbed in your garage until the next spring when, on one rainy morning, you find in your kitchen a creature that appears to be a foot-long slug, Its jaws bite one of your forks in half with what seems like very little effort. You grab your trusty axe and chop the thing into several pieces. On the last blow, however, the axe strikes a metal leg of the overturned kitchen table and chips out a notch right in the middle of the blade.
Of course, a chipped head means yet another trip to the hardware store. They sell you a brand new head for your axe. As soon as you get home with your newly-headed ax, though, you meet the reanimated body of the guy you beheaded last year. He’s also got a new head, stitched on with what looks like plastic weed trimmer line, and it’s wearing that unique expression of “you’re the man who killed me last winter” resentment that one so rarely encounters in everyday life.
You brandish your axe. The guy takes a long look at the weapon with his squishy, rotting eyes and in a gargly voice he says “That’s the same axe that slayed me!”
Is he right?

It's like my broom,
same broom I've always had,
6 new handles, 7 new heads.
I just keeps going

Well spiritually, at least. I mean the handle's been replaced, and so has the head but you didn't trade in the whole axe for a new one. You just got parts to fix it, so he's right.

No.

No. Axes don't fire bullets.

Spoilers: John dies at the end.

Liked the movie you got the quote from. Of course it's the same axe.

>home depot axe
>cutting anything
Pick one

Doesn't matter if it's the same axe or not because homeboy wasn't slain with an axe. Dude got shot to death. So no, he's not right.

That doesn't really matter. It's still the same axe. That zombie clearly lacks a piece of the head anyway. You really trust a zombie more than a random person?

Ship of Thesius paradox. I'm a fan of yes, it is the same, because there's a continuity there you can trace back to the original. Normally, I think of more complex things than a two-part axe, though...
Interesting.

>He’s also got a new head
Then who was phone?

New head means new axe handle is an accessory.

So the driver WAS an alcohol

To him, yes, to you, no.

Nosferatu

There are two ways something can be said to be the "same": Let's call them the "same quantity" and the "same quality".

When some things have the same quality they look alike. This is like when we say two people have same kind of suitcases: They can be identical to the very last detail but there is still two suitcases. One belongs to this guy and the other to the other guy. They are not the same suitcase.

When some things are same in quantity they share a continuity like the axe in your story. Even in our body every last cell gets replaced in a decade or so but we can still say the person is in some way the same.

So I get a free suitcase?

...yes. Yes you do.

And it's like your suitcase?

Sure.

>You go to the hardware store, explaining away the dark reddish stains on the broken handle as barbecue sauce. You walk out with a brand new handle for your axe.
>They sell you a brand new head for your axe.
>They sell

These are the magic words. If the handle was also SOLD and not exchanged for warranty, then it's not the same axe anymore. Both parts of it are new, sold by separate transactions and covered by their own warranties, separate from the originally bought product.

If the handle was exchanged for warranty, however, then the situation is more complex. However, even then, since we know that the axe head was indeed sold separately, I think it is safe to assume that the replacement of the head would be considered an aftermarket modification that would void the original warranty, therefore legally changing the "identity" of the product.

user, there is a more important question.

Is he the same man?

By this question, the result is that his accusation is wrong.

>He's also got a new head...

To me this would also suggest a new brain, meaning this is a diffent individual who now controls the body.