Just got back from a midnight showing of this old classic

Just got back from a midnight showing of this old classic.

You know what really fascinates me about this? The amount of effort they put into a joke, especially a running one.

Take the policeman gag, with everybody getting arrested at the end. At the beginning, you think the historian getting his throat sliced open is gonna be a one-off thing, but it ends up becoming a primary gag, every scene the knights are in you get a pair of policemen not long afterwards investigating the trail of carnage they've left behind them.

Furthermore it was kinda crazy how they maintained the continuity of jokes throughout the film. For example, the African/European Swallow gag. They foreshadowed that shit way back in the very first scene, when they were arguing over the origin of the coconut (btw some fag brought in actual coconut shells and clopped them when they came on screen). They kept that shit running and consistent throughout the entire movie, when you see Bedevere tying a coconut to a swallow, some assorted ramblings throughout about swallows and Africa/Europe, and that last bit with the old man and the questions.

Anyway, what did you all think of this movie?
>inb4 reddit

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yq4uCWtQE24
youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M
youtube.com/watch?v=lefP0_ZM-Lw
youtube.com/user/MontyPython/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=2K8_jgiNqUc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it was good and makes me want to listen to the Goon Show as I browse this shit board

Why is it always, ALWAYS the same shit? It's always one of the movies or just the black knight scene, you'll cowards probably never even heard a Python record or capable of naming a single Circus episode.

Ptooey.

It sells, man. It just happened to be playing at the theater I work at so I went in and watched.

I probably should look at more Python though. What would you recommend, good sir knight?

If you really believe that no one on the internet knows the Circus, then you are a young lad indeed. Internet nerd culture had Python as a foundational element, and those of the Sup Forums userbase ilk have periodically felt an obligation (besides, y'know, actually liking the show) to know Circus material. You present the image of a Mouse, going to one of those sick-o parties, but I think that you are really just the Big Cheese (that'll teach you to play hard-to-get!)

Absolutely love the movie. The stories behind the coming are great too. They used the coconuts because they couldn't afford horses. They also couldn't afford a real castle for Camelot so they just used an actual model in the filming and did that funny musical number to wash it away. Really can't get enough praise.

That's some crazy shit man. I had to sing Knights Of The Round Table in High School seeing as I was in a Madrigal Choir (our staple was Men In Tights), so I have a particular affection for that part.

bump

i love monty python. i think it's really sad that so many people these days think it's hip to shit on them and say their humor is "lol randumb" when these brilliant fellows where the ones pioneering modern humor.

Watch the documentaries, listen to the commentaries for their feature films, you will learn a lot about these men and how hard they had to fight to create the comedic classics that are still quoted and built upon decades after their inception.

always look at the bright side of life

I've been meaning to. Might try and look it up, thanks.

Lots of people prefer Life of Brian when it comes to the movies, but Holy Grail is probably my favourite comedy movie of all time. Every single scene in it from start to finish is hilarious.

>Anyway, what did you all think of this movie?

Best comedy movie ever.

>Lots of people prefer Life of Brian when it comes to the movies

Like the Pythons at the time, they're trying to be edgy instead of funny.

Not that Life of Brian isn't hilarious but because of popularity of Holy Grail, they were too aware of their success.

You're probably in my town, since the theater I usually go to had a midnight screening of this.

I didnt go mostly because I figured I would've gotten annoyed at the people quoting the movie, but I really do love it. I think the reason people shit on it is because its over quoted by losers and socially inept nerds. If I hear another dorky white guy quoting Python, Im just gonna stab them.

Anyway, the same theater is doing Labyrinth next week, Ill be going to that. Ill be even more upset at the amount of nerds that have seen that movie but have never listened to David Bowie

If it hadn't been for them having no budget at all Terry Gilliam would never have attempted to be a director. Which I'm glad for since he's one of my favorite visual directors.

Each one of the movies is great and it was because they were a labor of love between all of the pythons. A bunch of lads having fun together with whatever little budget they had.

Oh get over yourself. Fucking everyone knows all of the major Python skits from FC. The movies are just the highpoint for most people.

Circus is only funny to people born in the 50s

Oh shit, you Indy? Keystone Arts?

In the witches scene there is a knight launching a swallow with a coconut attached

That'd also explain why Absolutely Anything's trailer was such total garbage, looked forced.

The older you get the funnier Circus actually is

If you haven't seen Life of Brian it's an absolute must. Is easily my favourite Python movie.

damn right. I love the midnight stuff they do.
I havent been able to see many midnights this year, but I did get to see Akira, surprised at how packed that was

My fucking nigga, I work there now.

I'm the one who looks like he's having a mini-panic attack behind the register because my autism won't allow me to be normal.

Who else agrees that Eric Idle is only good for the musical numbers:

youtube.com/watch?v=yq4uCWtQE24

youtube.com/watch?v=SJUhlRoBL8M

this and hot fuzz are my favorite comedies

Michael Palin is the best Python

This and Life of Brian are the only two Monty Python movies I genuinely like without issue.

Ive probably ran into you, but I usually see the chicks that work there. man, i wished i worked there. i applied there like once, never heard back

It's a nice place to work at, but I bugged the shit out of them after I got an interview. From what I hear following up actually works, and I guess it did.

And yeah, couple cool girls working there. There's a redhead I had a crush on for a while, later learned she was a lesbian which was a bummer but she's cool.

I've always thought it was interesting THG predates Excalibur by about 6 years, but both movies contain eerily similar scenes of misty forests

Is there some earlier Arthurian movie they are both emulating, or should we just call Boorman a hack?

you dont like meaning of life?

>every scene the knights are in you get a pair of policemen not long afterwards investigating the trail of carnage they've left behind them.

Wow, so subtle. A real work of genius.

Bravo Monty

they're in England. England is full of misty forests.

I was just commenting on how long they kept up the gag, which I thought was kinda neat.

I like watching it every once and a while. Good times.

I seriously need to watch the other MP movies, though. I don't know why I haven't.

I originally got into MP through audio CD's of some of their most popular sketches (Parrot, Cheese, etc.) because my dad would play them for me in the car. Ah, the good old days.

>Best comedy movie ever
I didn't vote for it

thank the gods for ledzep & their boatloads of newfound wealth from degenerating american youth

Just arrived from Amazon the other day. Hadn't seen it in years.

Damn good film. Clever funny, not laugh-out-loud funny.

Favorite bit is the Tale of Sir Lancelot.

>out of nowhere cartoon opening with the sun and clouds jumping up and down outside the illustrator's house
>'sank into the swamp' speech
>running gag with the son trying to launch into a musical number
>both guard scenes (...hey!)
>lancelot indiscriminately slaughtering everyone at the wedding only to make friends with the father of the groom

>the subtle jokes that occur during conversation, such as:

>who are you?
>i'm your son.
>not you, him!

>you only killed the bride's father, that's all!
>well, i didn't mean to...
>didn't mean to? you put your sword right through his head!
>oh, dear. is he all right?

everyone knows the dead parrot sketch.

>Soon, all this will be yours.
>What, the curtains?

youtube.com/watch?v=lefP0_ZM-Lw

youtube.com/user/MontyPython/videos

I was going to post more videos but this is way easier.

My favorite Flying Circus sketch is probably the one where a nervous man goes to some house and everything he touches ends up breaking and it escalates until he accidentally stabs the maid and the whole house collapses. It's the delivery, mang.

The life of Brian has it's moments
>what have the Romans ever done for us
>Peoples front of Judea
>Who threw that
>etc

But Holy Grail has it beaten by a long shot.

I remember re-watching it with friends one morning while hungover and we were all in bits laughing non stop.
Life of Brian just doesn't have the same effect.

bump

bumpu

Im`so glad to read some prefer Grail to Brian and for the same reasons as me.
Brian has great parts but they went down a crude path and away from the clever humour they had before. Meaning of Life is bloody awful 'shock' humour.
Grail will always be the perfect Python film for me.

Life of Brian has it beat purely because of the Pontius Pilate scene.

>Biggus... Dickus?.......

youtube.com/watch?v=2K8_jgiNqUc

iirc the guards werent supposed to be laughing in that scene, the extras was told to keep a straight as fuck face.
When they started laughing Palin just went with it