Post-rock?

I really like this album.

I've never really been into post-rock (I'm more of a metal fan). What other records in this vein would you recommend I listen to?

Other urls found in this thread:

thequietus.com/articles/06963-talk-talk-laughing-stock
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15957-laughing-stock-mark-hollis/
allmusic.com/album/laughing-stock-mw0000268987
cstrecords.com/statement-from-godspeed-you-black-emperor-on-polaris/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Talk Talk - Spirit Of Eden
Slint - Spiderland
Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die

Have you heard these yet?

>post rock
okay

if you like pic related you should start with the easy ones, not the pretentious crap this guy is suggesting
check out maybeshewill, 65daysofstatic and god is an astronaut; see if you like the heavy/riff-esque part of it (I assume you do since you are into metal) or the more atmospherical/crescendo ones
if the first -> listen to some post-metal like lento, isis, neurosis etc
if the latter -> godspeed you, a silver mt zion, mono

I love This Will Destroy You, be sure to check their self-titled album, it's great as well.
Other post-rock bands I'd recommend would be God is an Astronaut and 65daysofstatic for the same kind of feel.
Try Shelter by Alcest as well.
Also, maybe Eluvium

lol that shit is NOT pretentious, its like basic ass shit to listen to when it comes to Post-Rock you fucking retard, those are all very famous and popular well known albums. Like what are you fucking talking about.

I agree with you that he should listen to Isis if he hasn't already, but that's more like post-metal, but that's one of my favorites as well, the album Oceanic.

Godspeed is boring.

sorry mate but slint, tortoise and don caballero are the holy trinity of pretentiousity when it comes to post rock
also I fucking hate godspeed too but let OP decide for himself

+ God is an Astronaut

That band really got me into post-rock and is a very easy and enjoyable listen.

>pretentiousity [sic]
Do you know those bands personally?

>65daysofstatic
Try out their soundtrack for No Man's Sky; it's excellent

Also try out:
>*Ancients - Star Showers on the Euphrates
>Meniscus - Refractions
>Crippled Black Phoenix - I, Vigilante
>Blueneck - Scars of the Midwest

The last two have vocals, though, so it's not exactly like TWDY

You make me so fucking angry man, I just don't understand your opinion one bit. I really want you to explain yourself more. You really don't like Laughing Stock? Seriously? You don't think that's a genius album?
thequietus.com/articles/06963-talk-talk-laughing-stock
pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/15957-laughing-stock-mark-hollis/
allmusic.com/album/laughing-stock-mw0000268987

I always thought pretentious meant not knowing what you're talking about, I mean is it pretentious to listen to well known and widely accepted good music? Is it pretentious to listen to fucking Nirvana? I always thought pretentious meant you listen to shit and act like it's good and get in other people's faces about it, I simply suggested some music, that again, is practically normie-tier basic bitch shit in terms of when you're getting into music and looking into what the "must listen" sort of requirements, you know what I mean?

I mean what makes any different, anyway? I don't get it, I wasn't even BEING pretentious about it, I think YOU were being pretentious about it, you're going "nreeee pfff dont listen to HIS stuff blech" like, fuck YOU man.

I almost want to get this dudes email and your email so i can get reactions to all the albums you recommended vs the ones I recommended and I bet you he will like the ones I recommended much more.

I'm not , but I need to chime in and say Talk Talk are pretty dull; heard Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock and found nothing compelling about them

wow

(not that guy and i like talk talk but lmfao)

I don't know what to say, mate, that's really sad to me. I think they are both fucking brilliant albums that are full of color and depth and vibrancy, albums I will probably be listening to for the rest of my life just like I have the last fourteen years of my life when I first discovered them.

My only thought is this, when albums are critically lauded as masterpieces, I generally give them more than one listen. I wasn't in love with Talk Talk first time i heard them, especially Spirit Of Eden, but I listened a couple more times and I really, really fell in love. A lot of music is like that for me, a LOT, and I enjoy that process of there being something that I know is supposed to be mind blowing, and not getting it at first, but then those moments where you really try it again after your first go around and its like your mind melds to it more, and you just feel it, its happened to me a million times, a lot of my favorite albums I was luke-warm on at first listen. Just put on Laughing Stock, if you smoke weed smoke some weed, lay in bed or some shit, I dunno.

damn son chill, I've neither mentioned talk talk if you read carefully, also posting pitchfork links doesn't help strenghten your point

Skip the 90's shit it's much more boring than what post-rock bands made in the 2000s and 2010s.

Catch TWDY on tour with Deafheaven this spring. They are fucking amazing live.

>more boring
less reliant on cheap crescendos and more interesting in every way you mean
>deafheaven
all makes sense now

90's post-rock was the top tier you fucking retard

>heir of 70s prog
>in the shadow of post-punk and noise rock
>mixed the burgeoning math rock and post-hardcore scenes
>boring, go see Deafheaven instead
l o l

I know, these people make me fucking sick. Sup Forums is not good for my mental health.

never fails to amuse me

part of the game is dissecting the linguistics of the board and reconciling the fact that: a) most eminently, people have different opinions b) anonymity and ephemerality play a part in tempering that fact, whether its to get a rise out of people or to foster moments of rare intimacy that people think are otherwise so rare around here

Sup Forums is fine if you have some mental fortitude to look past the spectrum of things you don't disagree with as one big cosmic game

Great, because I'd rather hear Slint play some kind of amelodic noisy trash rather than anything remotely exciting.

Red House Painters, Low, Codeine, Bedhead, Carissa's Wierd, Crywank, Modest Mouse, Idaho, S...

You know, it just doesn't make any sense. It's like why make choices between movies, you can fucking watch and enjoy BOTH. Plus, Spiderland is just one album, it's not like they put out music all the time, they had that one album and that's it, and it's album to be appreciated, not something you gotta listen to ALL the time but c'mon it's fucking really good. Sunbather was good too, not the achievement that Spiderland was but its also a really great album, I like that fucking album, so, yeah i dunno. listen to both.

lol go somewhere else then, if you get mad reading comments here it's not place for you

You got a point. It's just that usually when I have this conversation it feels like a bunch 30-year-olds continuously trying to claim that the younger generation sold the genre out and never made anything good or something like that, which is honestly quite aggravating.

fuck all that shit, music is music, it exists outside the world of pretension and social standing

twdy (i do enjoy some of their stuff kind of) and defheaven are nu-male post rock obv and i would be embarased to listen 2 them. if u dont think talk talk are on of the best u must be dumb or underage

fucking thank you

tortoise dont really do much for me though. also mark hollis solo and bark psychosis also the first dirty three album. also i dont think godspeed deserve 2 be associated with bands like explosions in the sky, i guess their band name dosent help them in that regard lol.
also this quickspace ep rocks

I only like one Tortoise album anyway. I wonder, do you like Can at all?

The Evpatoria Report - Golevka

Holy fucking shit dude

hahahhaha

i would say >>>/reddit/ but that wouldn't do this any justice.

should be new copypasta

i bet you'd really like If These Trees Could Talk, Russian Circles, and *shels. none of those are very patrician around here, but who cares.

don caballero is better than slint, also rodan and faraquet come from the same school yet get no bonerific praise from critics or Sup Forums

in the case of Slint at least the music isn't pretentious at all, just some of the fan base. And if you think that's relevant to the discussion, then I don't know what the fuck to tell you

as someone whose favorite album ever is Laughing Stock (seriously) this kind of response is totally unnecessary. i can completely understand others criticisms of that album. it's slow and methodical, it has a lot of free improv-like songwriting and it's heavily built with restraint in mind. of course that's going to turn lots of people off of the album, nbd. just enjoy it. no need to flip out

this is pretty much the best stance on post rock.

does anyone on this board actually know what pretentious means?

Slint is pretty pretentious

Do you know them personally?

nah but their music is clearly self-serious, and they clearly fit the definition of 'b' in your pic within that.

i think the main thing you take issue with is using pretentious only as an insult. most people are guilty of that. slint and gy!be are pretentious though, and i'm a fan of both

gybe are the definition of pretentious, they also bitched some event which awarded them some time ago

cstrecords.com/statement-from-godspeed-you-black-emperor-on-polaris/

yeah but who cares is the question. bob dylan was pretentious, his art is still valuable

>nu-male post rock
Jesus Christ this is the new "meme-rap/meme-folk/meme-o" nonsense, isn't it?

TWDY's most recent (Another Language) is good, it's not just cheap crescendocore.

>90s postrock is boring, you should check these bland bands that try to sound as if they're making le ebin movie soundtracks

spread the word, brother

>90s postrock is boring
It's true