When exactly did the "dumb American" stereotype appear?

When exactly did the "dumb American" stereotype appear?
I'm asking about Western Europe more, the commie era propaganda doesn't really count.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_history_of_the_United_States
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jacob_Astor
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Janszoon_van_Salee
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it started when the first american opened his mouth.

>Better to Remain Silent and Be Thought a Fool than to Speak and Remove All Doubt

Probably has a lot to do with the proliferation of our media and the internet starting in the 90's. Think stuff like the Jerry Springer show. Also the dumbest elements of our society (niggers, rednecks, sjw's, spergs) make for good entertainment on youtube. Rest of the world gets the impression this country is full of fat retards as a result.

200 years ago

I have a theory it was started by the British after America got its independence

Blacks definitely arent a part of this.

WURLSTAAH

Ronald Reagan

That's exactly when it started

Probably when we started exporting crap like Jerry Springer and Baywatch.

Agree. When you imagine a dumb american It has to be the white-salmon-skin in shorts and flippflops who's overly confident but equally as clueless.

I'm pretty sure yuropoors thought Americans were uncultured loots way before the 80s. Assume it was a defense mechanism to help them deal with us being so much richer than them

Why? Do you view them as separate? They are beyond retarded especially if you deal with them regularly. See:

I think it goes back to when the Eugenics movement was popular. European believers in Eugenics believed that because it was mostly the lower classes that moved to the US, that Americans were inherently dumber now.

They never adopted secularism, pretty simple.
The founding fathers were smart and well spoken and they spoke harshly of churches, but at some point (and I can't tell exactly when), the american was convinced that bible was included in his proud believes of the constitution, arms and freedom.
It was a country wide ruse that worked.

>European believers in Eugenics believed that because it was mostly the lower classes that moved to the US, that Americans were inherently dumber now.
That's only for certain groups like the Irish and Italians. A lot of our German immigrants were part of the 1849 group who were mainly middle and upper (non nobility) political dissenters. During colonial times poorfags couldn't afford to get here. If anything more of the Europeans are descended from underclasses who could never afford to leave or were happy dirt farming.

>>Why? Do you view them as separate? They are beyond retarded especially if you deal with them regularly. See:
the stereotype is separate,
blacks are niggers, with the watermellons, rap, kfc and so on
whites are the fat, dumb, muh guns uneducated buffoons
you're always viewed as seperate

Being around American GIs during WW1/2.

>but at some point (and I can't tell exactly when), the american was convinced that bible was included in his proud believes of the constitution, arms and freedom.
>It was a country wide ruse that worked.
It was to combat communism. Not even memeing. We had people that were very religious before but it wasn't part of the American character.

Um no, they deliberately sent the poorfags during the first voyages to America because they didn't expect them to survive, so almost nobody with a stable income signed up to go. They didn't even know how to farm and needed help from the natives because they were below farmers back in Europe.

It's been around since the colonial era. See A Modest Proposal for references about an American and cannibalism.

Religiosity has been around since the Colonial era, and a lot of the separation between church and state was because of this religiosity of different sects in different regions (Puritans in New England, Episcopalians in Virginia, etc.)

the ancient greeks made fun about the "low cultured" romands (even when they greatly surpassed them in things like engineering) after the romans were the established super power of that time

maybe there is some envy here and the europeans are the new greeks

this plays a big part, but it's a wider cast of things that have created the stereotype
based on the difference from europe we attribute semi-fictional negative qualities to americans based on their general average qualities
americans are more religious - > americans are anti-science (dumb)
americans are more open - > americans are loud/rude
americans love guns - > americans are violent

it's all just snobbery

Oh OK makes sense. I didn't know our separate internal stereotypes were global.

It goes back a loooooong time. I remember reading this pre-1776 British satirical essay called "A Modest Proposal". It's basically lots of written banter against the Irish but there's also some banter against Americans in the essay when the author writes about a "a very knowing American" which is basically the 18th century version of
>polish intellectuals

Basically, we've been known as retards since day one.

We are violent thought. Not just niggers either; white Americans commit way more violent crime than Europeans do

Actually other than homicide there's no significant difference in crime rates between Europe and white America.

It's the american black legend, it started when USA became an empire by the 1940's with the loss of the European colonies an the Golden American Age. Spain has too a Black Legend when it was the supermacist Empire, the Empire, the legend was made of propaganda bullshit by the butthurt English, French, Italians, German and Dutch protestants.

We reeeeaaaaalllllyyyyy should have listened to Goldwater. The politicalization of religion by Republicans has been a disaster for our country, and it's about to get a whole lot worse if Trump trashes the Johnson amendment.

The irony is that this is the party of "small government" and "yay America freedom patriotism".

>Um no, they deliberately sent the poorfags during the first voyages to America because they didn't expect them to survive, so almost nobody with a stable income signed up to go. They didn't even know how to farm and needed help from the natives because they were below farmers back in Europe.
Nice bullshit. Aristocrats led some of the first expeditions and the colonists were from a lot of different backgrounds. A lot came to setup fur trading and search for gold (Jamestown and it was a complete shit show).

"European settlers came from a variety of social and religious groups. Few aristocrats settled permanently, but a number of adventurers, soldiers, farmers, and tradesmen arrived."

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonial_history_of_the_United_States

I have some colonial ancestors who were indentured servants but also ones who were well off and came for religious reasons (Puritan founders of Mass) paying their own way.

it's always been expensive to be a refugee. Only the lucky ones and the debt slaves even have a chance to try to get in.

Of course some rich people came, they had to administer the colonies and stuff, but most soldiers, farmers, adventurers, etc were very poor back then.

>but most soldiers, farmers, adventurers, etc were very poor back then.
His or your argent though was that they were below famers. They were from all classes and a lot of tradesmen and farmers otherwise the colonies would have collapsed. Later even before we were the U.S. major businessmen became ridiculously wealthy here.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Jacob_Astor

Unless you were an indentured servant, slave or a soldier you most likely weren't from the bottom of the barrel if you made it to the new world.

john jacob astor is an extreme example of social mobility

in the southern colonies there were big class differences from the beginning between on

Pic unrelated

>leave developed UK and form a colony from scratch
>spend time developing the area instead of going to school
>be seen as bumpkin laborers because that's what we were
>also had a weird flavor of Christianity that got even weirder over time
>the original people were probably poor and uneducated in the first place because why the fuck would you leave the UK if you were wealthy

the stereotype existed the very moment we landed in the new world

>Worst of our society

>Niggers
Well if the worst in the society is niggers, then the good must be the whites?
>Rednecks
Well, I guess most whites aren't good neither, because of this

>SJWs
If rednecks are bad and SJWs too, then white who is the white people?

>Spergs
So you are saying ALL white people is bad in USA?

I guess the only thing your country has are the Spics then

That is not true, not for Swedish immigrants at least. Most of those who left here were dirt poor dirtgrubbers who saved for years to afford the ticket.

I've thought this for a long time, and it does make a lot of sense.

the average roman probably was dumber than the average greek though

superpower societies get extremely polarized imo

>spend time developing the area instead of going to school
The Puritans at least could read and write. Not sure about Southerners. Theological Colleges were setup pretty early on as well. The first public library here was in 1731 and in Europe only the Brits really had done it. I'd say we probably had more uneducated people during the industrial revolution if I had to guess and many of those were uneducated immigrants from Europe.

My gut instinct is a lot of the dumb American beliefs comes from us. We idolized the upper classes in France and Britain well into the 20th century as paragons of learning and culture while ignorant to the fact that your average Brit or Frenchman was an uneducated lower clasd laborer or peasant through most of history. Amongst ourselves we really locked onto ourselves as the rugged frontiersmen. We churn out so much media and it often keeps up the stereo types. We only bash the Eastern Euros as poor and backwards.

>Rednecks
Out of curiosity are you interested in the origin of that slang?

no, america was seen as rural and backwards
but not quite "dumb" until quite recently

Rural and backwards seems to go hand in hand with dumb.

I disagree. Rural and backwards is Appalachia, dumb is Mississippi.

Yes yours were, I was trying to be nice because it's more fun to shit on Irish and Italians who just rotted in the NE versus Scandinavians who actually settled virgin territory. My point still stands for some of the other populations like the Anglos and Krauts. Oddly enough the Dutch had a problem with finding colonists due to their good economy at the time but even then some of the founders like Stuyvesant were already accomplished or Jan Janzoon were well off (OK his father was a Dutch Corsair and his mother being an Iberian Muslim caused him to face discrimination but he faced it in New Amsterdam as well).

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Janszoon_van_Salee

Appalachians are made fun of all the time for being retarded, where do you see a difference ?

>TFW King George was a diseased nutter. I wonder how it would have gone under a different leader?

Also, how do the Brits remember him or the Mexicans Santa Ana.

Sorry Anthony not Jan. Jan was the Corsair. The Icelanders probably hate Jan as well.

Not him but in the NE we view than as more backwoods rednecks. Poor but folksy. If they are ignorant it's from historic isolation. The deep south like Mississippi are seen as flying fucking retards whose policies created the Northern Migration ruining northern cities and the civil rights movement which led to the modern SJW insanity.

>When exactly did the "dumb American" stereotype appear?

you tell me;

YOU KNOW WHAT URANIUM IS, RIGHT? IT'S A THING CALLED NUCLEAR WEAPONS AND OTHER THINGS. LIKE LOTS OF THINGS ARE DONE WITH URANIUM, INCLUDING SOME BAD THINGS.

fpbp

It's just an old stereotype because New World cunts are only a few hundred years old and lack the high culture of the Old World.

I was talking about the first handful of people that came over. They literally did not know how to farm and had to ask the natives for help before there was time for even more Europeans to come over. You're argument is that later than the time period I'm talking about, less poor people came over.

George W. Bush