Americans BTFO

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(word)
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/autumnus
pass-the-garum.blogspot.com/2013/10/roman-french-toast.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

> from the French word

F R O G ' D

this tweet is offensive as it is denigrating towards those who possess differing intellectual abilities.

really pulsates your peanuts

>leafs
>fall down
>canadians fall down
LMFAO BTFO

Actually it's easier to just say fall. I'm too lazy to say another two letters.

etymologies, how do they work? probably the latin word also has a silly meaning, the fact that's obscure only shows our ignorance

>autompne

I prefer saying autumn. The word feels like the color of the leaves.

t. autist

Fall comes from the Old Norse and was often used 16th century England.

>I'm so fat it's a strain to use my mouth muscles for anything other than eating.

More like AmeriCAN'Ts xaxaxaxa

>leafs falling
How's this not a good thing?

The problem is that people value latinate words over germanic ones

Autompne is an old french word, now we say automne

Can we really be frogd if we are 30% frog ourselves?

Eggcelent post

autumn sounds so fucking gay and uppity like "ooh look at me I use bigger words that mean the same thing" well get fucked

>people value civilized words over barbaric ones*
FTFY

hope you know it sounds as forced and stupid as when Americans say whilst

amerifalls on suicide watch lmfao

I say both

In bible school, it was called autumn and if you wanted to sound proper and appeal to the teacher, you used autumn. Even some calendars still signify when "autumn begins."

It's like the words Dad and Father I would think.

This, either is acceptable here.

>brits taking pride in their linguistic cuckoldry

We invented the fucking language you tards, we use whatever the fuck we want and if you don't like it you can go suck Trudeau's nuts

lmao salty pom

>we invented the language
>implying you don't descend from the same people as me

you didn't invent shit you dumb nigger, the English language existed before Canada did.

>he thought this was going to be a one sided thread
>even his own commonwealth thinks he's a fag

>in bible school

sissi brit bois on gay accent watch

You invented it but you forgot how to speak it long ago

I agree. We should all go back to speaking Eald Englisc

The irony of this tweet is that you have to be fucking retarded and 15 to make an argument like this

>haha the bible XD

People seem to be really obsessed with us for some reason.
They say they don't care about the US, but it's all they talk about.

>because leaf fall down
There's nothing wrong with that logic.

Polish name for November is listopad.

Liść, listowie - leaf/leafs
opad, pad, padać - to fall, to rain

This is as dumb as when people honestly think that the word "football" comes from association football only, and that it's wrong to call any other game "football"

No, we think it's dumb as fuck to call something football when the ball rarely touches your foot.
There's this thing called handball you know?

Brits are cucks

We call that basket ball here in the states

Where's the anime

You do know that association football, American football, Aussie rules football etc. are all considered different codes of the same game? What if I told you that the word "football" refers more to the fact that these games are played on foot in a large outdoor area?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(word)

>Although the accepted etymology of the word football, or "foot ball", originated in reference to the action of a foot kicking a ball, this may be a false etymology. An alternative explanation has it that the word originally referred to a variety of games in medieval Europe, which were played on foot.[5] These sports were usually played by peasants, as opposed to the horse-riding sports more often enjoyed by aristocrats. In some cases, the word has been applied to games which involved carrying a ball and specifically banned kicking.

>le fedora meme xd
America's obsession with religion is pretty laughable to the rest of the developed world

the guy merely mentioned he went to bible school and the intellectual skeptical atheist finds something wrong with this, and so do you because you are a retard

>well time to fugg this dog

It's hõst in Norwegian after å hõste(to harvest)

This. The funny thing is that he probably felt really smart writing that.

>and later, The Latin "autumnus"

Do they not mean earlier? French didn't exist before latin. Is their something i am missing.

if you call spring spring because plants spring, why not call fall fall because plants fall?

>a millenial claiming to have invented a 1000-year-old language

Fuck off oppressors

> This coming from an American

Please. The Brit in this thread is autistic but there's no question their dialect is better.

Fall is an anomaly outside of North America. Autumn is the proper name for the season.

It's the only word we're taught. Fall sounds like shitty American slang, which essentially is all it is.

I say autumn and fall

The word autumn comes from the ancient Etruscan root autu- and has within it connotations of the passing of the year.[11] It was borrowed by the neighbouring Romans, and became the Latin word autumnus.[12] After the Roman era, the word continued to be used as the Old French word autompne (automne in modern French) or autumpne in Middle English,[13] and was later normalized to the original Latin. In the Medieval period, there are rare examples of its use as early as the 12th century, but by the 16th century, it was in common use.

Boston, Massachusetts in autumn
Before the 16th century, harvest was the term usually used to refer to the season, as it is common in other West Germanic languages to this day (cf. Dutch herfst, German Herbst and Scots hairst). However, as more people gradually moved from working the land to living in towns, the word harvest lost its reference to the time of year and came to refer only to the actual activity of reaping, and autumn, as well as fall, began to replace it as a reference to the season.[14][15]

The alternative word fall for the season traces its origins to old Germanic languages. The exact derivation is unclear, with the Old English fiæll or feallan and the Old Norse fall all being possible candidates. However, these words all have the meaning "to fall from a height" and are clearly derived either from a common root or from each other. The term came to denote the season in 16th century England, a contraction of Middle English expressions like "fall of the leaf" and "fall of the year".[16]

During the 17th century, English emigration to the British colonies in North America was at its peak, and the new settlers took the English language with them. While the term fall gradually became obsolete in Britain, it became the more common term in North America.

>late 14c., autumpne (modern form from 16c.), from Old French autumpne, automne (13c.), from Latin autumnus (also auctumnus, perhaps influenced by auctus "increase"), which is of unknown origin. Perhaps from Etruscan, but Tucker suggests a meaning "drying-up season" and a root in *auq- (which would suggest the form in -c- was the original) and compares archaic English sere-month "August."

Romans: WE CALL IT DRY BECAUSE LEAVES DRY UP

You should see a doctor about that mate

So the Brits used to say "Fall" as recently as the 1700s. But they decided to suddenly be Romans instead of Norse and started saying "Autumn" whereas we kept going.

UK - We cal it Autumn from the French word for "It's kind of cold outside."

>Polish name for November is Listopad.

wtf so is Croatian fucking thieves

It's called that because it's played on foot, as opposed to horseback, u big dummy

There is no cure for being me

You're not, the frogs were only nobility and didn't mingle with plebs like your stock.

How that's changed, now francophonies get ANGLO'd

>non-rhotic accents

none of your fucking anglo languages are really rhotic

So Americans are dumb for calling it fall because the leaves fall but you're super smart for using an old ass word for "cold" or "cooling off"

From earlier auctumnus, from Proto-Indo-European *h3euǵ- (“cold”) (compare Old Irish úacht, Lithuanian áušti (“to cool off”),

sounds like you are cucks and mericans got it better.

we call it "listopad" meaning "falling leaves" which is superior version

Who cares?
Winter GOAT

>leaf fall down
Rude

really makes you think

>VIA 9GAG.COM
lmao xDDDDD u shud post this on reddit lmoa!!!1!1!!

North American English generally is.

BEST ALLY

It is blindly obvious that Americans lack the intelligence to enunciate and recall basic words, which even a British 5 year old can do.
It is also blatant, to even the most primitive of observers, that Americans lack the sophistication and thoughtfulness to understand, and respect, the origins and melodic waves of certain words.

Autumn is the shit. The leaves are changing colo(u)r and it's not yet too cold to enjoy yourself outside.

Enjoy shoveling your fucking driveway in subzero weather, jackass.

compared to how "r" is actually pronounced in central or southern europe, how the ancient romans pronounced it, english people can't pronounce it

*the same way

I realize it's a retarded argument to make that "you can't pronounce something the right way" since there is no universal right way, but anglos arguing against each other about who rolls their r's more when none of you really do (aside from some scots) is gay

True, we tend to mean the Anglo r when discussing rhoticity. And in any case Americans have brought it back somewhat with their t's as in "little".

Brits can't say their r's,
Americans can't say their t's,
Pick your poison

Reminder.

I could us an extra set of testicles desu

>Fall is in fact an old term for the season, originating in English in the 16th century or earlier. It was originally short for fall of the year or fall of the leaf, but it commonly took the one-word form by the 17th century, long before the development of American English. So while the term is now widely used in the U.S., it is not exclusively American, nor is it American in origin.

>Brits in charge of understanding the history of their own language

UK comes after the USA.

we do call it autumn too though. but yeah i'm pretty sure thats were fall comes from.

good job

what do you know, another case of americans speaking correctly and brits calling us retards.

And en.wiktionary.org/wiki/autumnus
means "cold" HURR DURR Etruscans btfo.

Isn't saying fall instead of autumn a Shakespearean term?

>Can we really be frogd if we are 30% frog ourselves?
and i thought yanks were stupid

>american on damage control

Fall is what used before the brits added more frenchisms to their language

USA - We call it French toast because the guy who popularized it in America was named French

UK - WE CALL IT EGGY BREAD BECAUSE IT'S EGG SOAKED BREAD

Is french toast not really French?

>from French and later, the Latin

Does this retard think that French is an older language than Latin?

Probably, leftists aren't smart

well the romans made it
pass-the-garum.blogspot.com/2013/10/roman-french-toast.html

turns out the story of a guy with the surname french coming up with it was bogus, but whatever. what matters is that brits call it eggy bread

kys

That's pretty cool