Pipe smoking thread

Pipe smoking thread.

I've been smoking pipes for more than 20 years, and I can answer any questions you have if you'd like to start. How to pick a beginner's pipe, how to select tobacco, how to pack a pipe, how to clean and ream a pipe, I can help you with all of it. Please keep the shitposting down to a dull roar. And if you're a hysterical anti-tobacco fruitcake, please die in a fire.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_5fQZhv0poU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Phaggot

Don't you have school, junior?

I'm 3'4", help me choose a pipe please?

Does anyone who isn't a teenybopper have any *legitimate* questions?

These are the only pipes worth using.

Whats your thoughts on pipes vs cigarettes
and hows your throat?

You don't inhale when you're using a pipe. You smoke a pipe for the flavour, and inhaling ruins the experience. You still absorb nicotine through the buccal and mucosal membranes, and because you're getting a lot more unfiltered smoke, even cigarette smokers usually get nic sick the first few times they try a pipe.

And it's a wholly different experience from cigarettes. Cigarettes are made for convenience. They contain chemicals which make the tobacco burn evenly, smoothly, and quickly. Taste is a secondary consideration. To me, cigarettes taste like smoking an old boot.

when people smoke a cigarette they smoke it for a couple of minutes, how long and in which scenarios do you smoke a pipe?

Most people who smoke a pipe are not addicted for the simple reason that smoking a pipe is inconvenient. You get a big hit of nicotine all at once and then you don't smoke again for hours, days, weeks, or months, depending on your mood. A pipe, for example, needs to rest between bowls to allow it to dry out or you risk cracking it into pieces. Materials like meerschaum or briar are used because they absorb a lot of moisture; you want the driest possible smoke for flavour and to avoid tongue-bite. That moisture has to be allowed to evaporate before the pipe is used again or the steam trapped in the wood or clay can expand and shatter the pipe into pieces.

Depending on the size of the bowl, it takes anywhere from 20 minutes to two hours to smoke a pipe. Again, unlike smoking a cigarette, there's a certain discipline necessary for pipe smoking: too fast and you produce too much heat, which can crack or burn your pipe. Too slow and the tobacco goes out. It's sipping rather than gulping.

Can you compare versus cigars ?

A good cigar can't be beat, even by the best pipe tobacco. I'd smoke a Montecristo #4 every day if I could afford it; it's like smoking silk and chocolate. But a Montecristo #4 costs me $30 apiece. And *bad* cigars taste like sucking the farts out of Satan's asshole.

Pipe tobacco is much cheaper, and it's easier to find good pipe tobacco as long as you avoid the shitty drug store brands like Captain Black, Borkum Riff, and Amphora. Unless you're rich enough to be able to buy only the best cigars, you'll have a better over-all experience smoking a pipe. Good pipe tobacco is just as good as a good (but not great) cigar, and is much, much, much cheaper.

When did you first realise you were a hipster?

I mix my own tobaccos, and have a pretty nice collection of pipes. My favorite is my Jm BOSWELL.

What kind of pipe is this?

Digeredont

I'm 48 years old. You kids are copying *my* style, not the other way around. Pic related: me, smoking a Brigham bent apple Voyageur.

My favourite pipes have actually been mass-produced no-name vintage pipes which would have been sold originally in barber shops or tobacconists'. Plain, sturdy, workaday pipes made for blue collar workers. No fancy silver or filligree.

That's for sniffing petrol from far away

Nice.

I have a couple Savinellis I enjoy and a corncob. One Sav is sort of a billiard/apple, the other is a barrel churchwarden. The corncob is essentially a billiard too. It's a wonderful smoke. The Sav is the best though. It's an Oscar Tiger rustic 207.

Savinellis and Petersens are nice pipes, but highly overpriced. A Brigham or a nice Lorenzo tugboat smokes just as nicely and can be had for a quarter the price.

Fucking kek

How cancerous is pipe smoking? Are there any data available?

Alrite. I smoked 2 packs a day for a little over 13 years. Quit with the help of a vape. No nicotene for 3 years. This spring I was working out of state and having a hard time with dealing with stress. So I walked into a tinderbox and bought a basket pipe, and a few baccys. One of my favorites was an aro called after dinner.

I am about 100% tinderbox buys all their baccys bulk and rebrands them. I have been trying to figure out what the oem on that baccy is.

Another question as well. I am pretty much stuck on aros. My favorites being Lanes BCA and 1-Q. I tried nightcap, and a couple of the frog morton line and do not think I will ever like non-aros. Is there something closer between an aro and a latakia thats a little less upfront? Or should I just stick with what I like?

They are. I waited for my oscar tiger to go on sale and got it for $86. Still overpriced though.

From what I've read, it's still a matter of debate. Some studies suggest pipe smoking is a little less dangerous than cigarette smoking, but there's also some metadata which suggests otherwise. Certainly pipe smokers are less likely to get lung and throat cancers, but more likely to get mouth, gum, and tongue cancers.

Ultimately it comes down to measuring your risks. Some people jump out of airplanes, some people go bungie jumping, some people climb mountains, because that's what they enjoy. I'm vegetarian, I don't drive a car, but I smoke a pipe. The pleasure I get from smoking a pipe is worth the added risk.

Interestingly, there's actually some data which suggests moderate pipe smokers might live longer on average than non-pipe smokers. No one knows why, but it could be that smoking a pipe relieves stress.

>Brigham bent apple Voyageur

What do you think about women smoking pipes?

Attractive or not?
Sexy or not?
Fashionable or not?
Welcomed or not?

I think the smoke not entering your lungs is pretty huge in terms of overall health. Pipe smoking doesn't reduce lung capacity.

But I burn my tongue sometimes and my mouth tastes like smoke for hours. Can't be good for you.

Some are. Saw a nice women smoking pipes site a few years ago. The women were hot AF.

Thank you for the answer and don't let the kids get you down.

Funny you make this thread because i just started smoking out of a pipe about a month ago. Bought one that looks like the church warden. What's so good about them? I had a friend tell me that pipes with a long stem are better than ones with short stems. Any truth to that?

they should smoke cooler and help keeping the moisture out of your mouth

You ever smoked ganj out of a pipe? I have a glass one and have only smoked weed out of it.

If you like Frog Morton, I recommend you try the VaPers. Trust me, once you get some experience with English blends with little or no top, you won't go back to the aromatics. The taste of pure tobacco is quite nice once you've accustomed your palate to it. It's not snobbism, it's just that once you've been smoking for a while, you develop your palate to the point where blatant tops become chemical-tasting and unpleasant.

The best VaPers are probably Escudo Navy Deluxe (my personal favourite), Three Nuns, and Orlik Golden Sliced. Just beware that virginias taste smooth but are notoriously strong. If you're not careful you can make yourself very nic sick. Avoid the flakes to start; University Flake and Irish Flake are notorious for making people nic sick. I smoked a bowl of Brown Flake and started feeling odd halfway through the bowl. I've been smoking a pipe more than 20 years and I still spent six hours curled up on the bathroom floor in the most horrible nausea I've ever experienced.

I've never met a woman who smokes a pipe, but it's rare to meet a pipe smoker these days anyway, male or female. I have no objection to women smoking a pipe, although I think most people associate the smell of pipe tobacco with masculinity, like the smell of leather or wood shavings -- and pipe smoke definitely clings to you.

Alrite, Ill put one of the three you've suggested on the next p&c order I make.

I read something recently that the titanic had two types of tobaccos on ship, one being the dunhill deluxe navy roll, have you had that?

That's called tongue-bite and there's ways to avoid it. It's believed that tongue bite has two causes: excessive steam and alkali chemical burns. In the former, you can use a stinger or something like the Brigham rock maple inserts or the Magic Inch system to avoid moisture and steam. In the latter, you can avoid tobacco blends which are notoriously "bitey." Look up pipe tobacco reviews online, and they'll usually tell you which tobaccos are likely to bite and which aren't. Smoking slower usually results in less bite anyway.

What does your husband think knowing that you are out at night smoking other men's pipes ??

Aside from a scraggly, fecal-peppered bears to cover the majority of your face, the musty old man hat and the smoking device that seems to be fixed to you mouth, what other ways do you insure that women will be repulsed by your presence?

As this user says, the longer and more bent a stem is, the cooler the smoke will tend to be (because the smoke has farther to go) and the less steam there will be (because it condenses on the curves), which is why so many pipes have long and curved stems. But churchwardens are not very convenient for carrying around in your pocket. And if you're not an experienced pipe smoker, the relatively small difference is makes is probably not going to be noticable.

What is smoking a pipie like in comparison to smoking cigarettes?

How yellow are your teeth ?

Wood pipes absorb sugars and flavinoids from the tobacco, which produces what are called "flavour ghosts" when they're smoked. It's why experienced smokers keep a few corn cobs around for testing new tobaccos, so they won't add off-flavours to a much-cherished briar pipe. Smoking pot in a briar pipe is a bad idea. It will contaminate the wood.

I did. Hard to clean.

Dunhill 965 is not bad, but I'm not really a Dunhill guy. The 965 and Morning Blend are probably the most popular. I tend to smoke McLelland because of the characteristic vinegar (some people called it ketchup) taste caused by the fermentation process McLelland uses.

Yes, I also spend my time talking to people on a board inhabited by subnormal teenyboppers excessively concerned with the way other people look because they're so lacking in their own confidence.

See this.

compared to handrolled, no-additive tobacco cigarettes (with or without filter)
I get that you smoke longer, but tbh the artificial smell of most pipe tobaccos I've smelled is kind of repelling to me.

hey there, pipefag reports in. i've been smoking pipes proably 5 years, these are my beauties.
can you recommend me an unflavoured tobacco (not a fruity-vanilla-rum shit) which tastes good? at cigars I prefer dominicans, they taste like coffe and cocoa beans with a hint of nuts. i don't like harsh tobaccos.

oops forgot the image

That's cool and I never knew that, thanks!

MÜRRKÜLNE :DDD
youtube.com/watch?v=_5fQZhv0poU

You're probably smelling aromatics or what are called drug store tobaccos. Aromatics have "tops" -- flavourings added which greatly change the flavour of the tobacco. And drug store tobaccos like Captain Black, Amphora, and Borkum Riff are full of tops and humectants to disguise the staleness and poor quality of the tobacco.

English tobacco blends -- that is, tobaccos with no or very subtle tops -- are just tobacco, and smell very different. A master tobacconist can change the flavour of tobacco through the use of various drying and aging techniques, as well as fermentation and different "spice" tobaccos like latakia or perique.

If you want to try a nice tobacco without a strong top, try McLelland Balkan Blue (if you like latakia) or Escudo Navy Deluxe (if you enjoy perique).

I'm aware. And I looked at the causes. I smoke quickly so I get it a lot.

Either way it isn't good for you.

KEK

I have a bent apple, and something that looks like an intricately carved Canadian with a tankard stem. Been smoking pipe tobacco for about two years, started after an accidental purchase. I'm 23.

There are three choices in terms of what you can smoke for a non-flavoured tobacco. You can smoke just a straight virginia, usually a flake, which is a smooth but very strong smoke. The mild flavour hides a nasty nicotine kick which can make you very, very sick if you're not used to that much nicotine. In addition to this, you also have latakia blends and perique blends.

Latakia is one of those love-it-or-hate-it things which splits pipe smokers right down the middle. People who hate latakia compare it to smoking a campfire. It has a strong, smoky, peaty taste to it. I find it tastes like hay or sometimes mashed potatoes, but in a good way.

Perique is spicy and has a tang to it. It's not usually smoked on its own because of its strong taste, but is used as a spice. You can tell a tobacco which has perique in it because perique has a very strong characteristic smell of plums. The most common use of perique is in what are called VaPers, which are virginia/perique mixes. The perique adds complexity to the relatively simple and straightforward virginia.

Where are you from if I may ask?
I was wondering, because I didn't knew they sell packets with only tabacco in every country.

thanks! could you please recommend any brand to try out?
>sell packets with only tabacco in every country
what do you mean exactly?

I inhale my pipe smoke. Doesn't spoil the taste, and despite the abundance of nicotine, no matter how much I smoke, I don't get nauseous or dizzy like I do with cigarettes or cigars. I guess I lucked out in that I don't find myself craving nicotine, either. I smoke when I feel like it, and happen to enjoy it.

I OP and I live in Canada. is not me.

If you want to try a tasty latakia blend, I recommend McLelland's Balkan Blue. If you want a good VaPer, my favourite is Escudo Navy Deluxe, which often makes lists of the top 10 tobaccos in the world.

Instead of inhaling try snorking, which means holding the smoke in your mouth and exhaling it through your nose without inhaling it. It will give you the full flavour of the tobacco and extract a lot more of the nicotine through your mucous membranes without needing to inhale.

Ah ok, I did'nt follw the whole thread.
I mean, I thought they almost only sell tabacco in form of cigarettes/cigars. And in that image it's only a packet with loose tabacco. I thought they didn't sell loose tabacco everywhere.
But I must be wrong.

I have tried that... I'm not sure if I enjoy it or not yet.

thanks!
the well-equipped tobacco shops sell almost all kind of tobacco products in every country. i live in Hungary and I can buy anything, from the best cuban cigaros to snuffsm except chewing tobacco, I've never seen that there in any tobacconists.

Snus is hard to find outside of scandinavian countries. They tried it here in Canada and it sold poorly, and since it has to be refrigerated, they decided not to sell it any more.

i meant dry snuff which you can snort in you nose. snuss is also available but only in an online shop which imports it from Sweden

pipe smoking is gay. vapes are cooler that gay bent wood cocks. you can make circles with your vape, with pipes you can only make a gay out of yourself.

Get off daddy's laptop, you have school today young mister.

0/10 baby's first troll

>snorting nicotine products

you're on the expressway to cancer!

>babby
ftfy

> I can buy anything, from the best cuban cigaros to snuffs except chewing tobacco,
I told that they are available not that I'm snorting that shit all day long. I've tried it a few times but it's not that good to do it more.