1) Go to your kitchen and find a nice metal spoon. Tea Spoons work too but normal ones are better

1) Go to your kitchen and find a nice metal spoon. Tea Spoons work too but normal ones are better.
2) Get yourself a lighter, the bigger the flame the better.
3) Get some duct tape and wrap it around the handle. About 4-6 layers.
4) Start heating up the spoon with the lighter. Make it really really hot. Holding it just above the flame for about two minutes should work.
5) Go to a faucet and turn on the cold water at full force.
6) Hold the spoon diretly under the faucet
7) Bend the spoon as it will be flexible enough.
8) You're finished!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7pdPHC6yAKU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nobody is going to fall for that again faggit, go fuck yourself

I don't get it,what will actually happen. Obviously a scam...

nobody falls for anything on Sup Forums.

kaboom

The heat will jump up the spoon and burn your hand.

aside from getting you really wet and probably breaking the spoon (depending on whether it's decent metal or not) you'd probably be fine. Aside from the fact that duct-tape is not going to NOT melt when you heat a spoon to red hot.

it makes the spoon grow crystals

Hot object + cold water = shattering, fuckwad, it's a 2nd grade science trick.

is this the "hot metal will explode" meme?

It doesnt work.

it will splash cold water around, that's it.

(and yes, I'm a bladesmith, I heat steel to far higher temperatures than a lighter could ever manage, and plunge it into oil or water (depending on the steel) regularly. It doesnt explode.)

>again
How stupid are you to try it once, user?

Not wrapped in duct tape you don't

So why does quenching metal do nothing but cool the metal.

I have never seen quenched metal explode.

it does, however, create chlorine gas, which is why we blacksmiths always wear gas masks.

you'll get burned you stupid teenager.

>burning plastic and glue
it'll cause lung cancer at the very least

I wonder why nothing happens when the blacksmith quenches the redhot work peice.

Small shrapnel bomb

What

Because it's covered in duct tape which super compresses when it cools. This creates a massive amount of pressure on the metal underneath which in turn causes a "shattering effect". Or you could say I'm wrong and try it out yourself.

I have you retard. Nothing happens.

Go around your house and look for anything with chlorine in it, like chlorox ect. Find some bleach mix them together, then breath in all the fumes.

Do it correctly. You cockless fuck.

Drugs are bad and they have ruined your brain.

Sorry but basic laws of thermodynamics prove you wrong. Go suck a cock.

duct tape, that well-known explosive that changes the steel cyrstalline structure in a sub-eutectic phase heating cycle?

No. the only thing that's going to do is leave a bit of half-melted plastic on the near end of the handle.

I know of not one single steel alloy which contains chlorine.

You're talking bullshit.

its not even quenching. a tiny lighter isnt going to have the BTU output to even get a tiny spoon hot enough that it would be anything but hot to the touch. you'd need at least a butane/propane torch, used for home brazing, to get a spoon up past its phase point where a quench would do anything.

Jokes on you OP, I don't have a kitchen.

Not an argument.

don't forget the ammonium nitrate

its called natural selection and your getting in the way of it

Anyone that tries this deserves the results.

you know, I'm now really tempted to go shopping for a lighter, and make a youtube video showing exactly what happens.

(nothing)

and then do one in the forge, showing what happens when its heated to 1,500 degrees, then quenched properly... (nothing happens)

look at all of these white knights trying to protect all of the mentally disabled faggots that will try this

do it. make sure to wear your gas mask though, because i'm serious about chlorine gas. it's what the australians used in world war 1

Go for it. Not like it's gonna make you any more kawaiiii

>do it. make sure to wear your gas mask though, because i'm serious about chlorine gas.

steel does not contain chlorine, you fucking mongoloid.

duct tape when burnt will contain hydrocarbon chains, but does not contain chlorine.

>not even addressing the problem of crystalline structures

at the worst you improperly heat the metal and it cracks. Or it just becomes more brittle.

>bladesmith

I feel like you have a collection of katanas.

is that photo shopped or is bush really just holding a ear of corn with a dumbfounded (aka his usual expression) look on his face?

This thread has some of the lowest quality, most amateur trolling I have ever seen. You all need some Sup Forums oldfags to come back here and show you millennial retards how it’s really done.

nah he just looks fuckin stupid most of the time.

quenches it in oil

youtube.com/watch?v=7pdPHC6yAKU

Lol duct tape would give FAR far far before any metal would. You're an idiot.

it's really sad when peeps who actually take the time to learn a skill just to waste it on katanas. I mean there is a good market for the shit but if you are doing it artistically then it's the equivalent of painting nothing but beagles. Really boring and kinda sad.

And water. Go learn something. Now why would that oil at the same temprature as water cause it to not explode?

>missed your opportunity to show us how its done

More (you)s you faggot.

Look user, I'll level with you. You must know that there's enough weeaboo shit on Sup Forums where any sane person has to be skeptical of another user's claims to be a 'bladesmith'. I'm not saying you don't do it, but it felt dubious at best coming from an user on Sup Forums. All the more power to you though.

Also, anytime Sup Forums gives one instructions for a DIY anything, it's probably an attempt to fuck with you, possibly even harm or kill you. Regardless of whether or not the spoon thing does anything, it's a better rule of thumb to ignore Sup Forums's "experiments".

are you really just spamming your crappy video around Sup Forums? Do you think you're cool just because you can call a woman a whore? And wtf is up with you going around asking for change?

if there is a point to this video it is entirely lost on me. A waste of space on youtube.

Because they use oil to quench. It does some other wacky shit that water doesnt, but I can't be bothered to look it up rn.

>I feel like you have a collection of katanas.

you 'feel' wrongly then.

Not only do I not own a katana, I've never owned one. the closest I've ever got to katanas is holding a few friends' shitty stainless wallhangars, while laughing at how badly made they are.

I mostly make camping tools for outdoorsmen, skian dubhs for kilts, and the occasional chef's knife.

Dude put in microwave = much faster

Yet the sudden thermal difference is what the ussue here. Not the extra wetting by using oil to quench.

It's not that I was believing he was one. Just speaking under the assumption he was telling the truth since there really is no point in calling BS on an user I will only even have a couple exchanges with.

As for the experiments it's better to just sit back and watch. Though usually the one's that result in serious bodily injuries like this one claims don't get a reply back from those stupid enough to try it. Mostly because they're busy going to the hospital to get stitched up. So we can safely say it's probably false. Though no need to test it.

so no novelty blades then?

>. It does some other wacky shit that water doesnt,

does exactly the same thing.

only difference is the speed it cools with, and the way it boils.

water boils, which makes a vapour jacket, which causes uneven cooling, while oil doesnt boil as easily.

the weird bit is, the oil cools the steel faster than cold water will. (and beleive it or not, liquid nitrogen, -180 c, cools even slower. with liquid nitrogen, you get a vapour jacket of gas around the red-hot metal, which doesnt cool nearly as well - so a block of red-hot metal in nitrogen will stay hot for far longer than the same block plunged into oil.

the whole "explode" thing is a really dumb misunderstanding of what happens. when hot the crystalline structure of carbon steels changes, and then changes back as it cools. Quenching cools it before the crystal structure can change back, locking it in a harder, but brittle form.

that brittle form will break, if its dropped or hit with a hammer, sort of like glass. it doesnt explode.

for blades, after being made hard, its gently re-heated ("tempered") which removes a little bit of total hardness, but makes it springy instead of glass-like.

closest I've got to a "novelty" blade was a reproduction of a 16th century Puzzle Knife - a sort of folding knife where the pivots were a set of really tiny levers and gearing, so it wouldnt open unless you depressed a little lever, and turned the handles in different directions. Copied off an original one, for a reenactor.

Just look on youtube for the vids of nothing happening.

that's rather neat. I love unique puzzle devices.