Well that sucked

Well that sucked

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZnIDBPPu3Qs
youtube.com/watch?v=tSMYgpxOGXU
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Whoops! Op here! Sorry guys I put up the wrong picture! My bad!

Oh no, that does too.

Don't worry

Ok meme-ery aside.

Why didn't you like Let's Dance?

Because it's too poppy and dance influenced for my liking, it feels like a sellout record that appeals to the masses (and it intentionally was that). I can appreciate it in some aspects, but overall it fails in comparison to his incredible 70s output. Like, he went from Low+Heroes to Let's Dance in 6 years

Understandable.

Are you planning on listening to Bowie's other albums?

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of Bowie until I listened to some of the cuts of Blackstar. Highly recommend it.

Which one's haven't you listened to yet?
(I've listened to all of them so I can give thoughts if interested)

It wasn't a sellout record, it was Bowie doing 80s pop music at it's height his way, and the best way.

I mean, I'm exploring his post-Scary Monsters 80s output since I have been familiar with everything else before that for a while now. But yeah, I'm planning to go forwards from Let's Dance

It's all downhill from there. Scary Monsters is mad underrated tho

Yes it was, and he admitted that himself. The complete intention was to be successful commercially as he signed with EMI

the only records between Let's Dance and Blackstar that I enjoy are Outside and Heathen, everything else is pretty forgettable.

His goal was to make his own version of 80s pop at its height, and at the same time be critically and commercially successful. He achieved both. Eat shit.

I haven't listened to his work from 1984-2002. I know Tonight and Never Let Me Down will likely not be good, but I'm not sure about everything else to BTWN to Heathen

Agreed with OP, it's lazy sellout trash and too patronizing to be enjoyable

Buddha of Suburbia has some really great tracks tho

youtube.com/watch?v=ZnIDBPPu3Qs

youtube.com/watch?v=tSMYgpxOGXU

Tonight is basically the same thing as Let's Dance with reggae stuff thrown in. You probably won't like it.

Never Let Me Down....Avoid it like the plague.

Tin Machine doesn't exist.

Black Tie White Noise is a very underrated record. He made it about his wedding. It has a lot of electronic/hip hop influences so if you dig that you'll dig the album.

Outside is pretty good but has WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY too much filler. Should have been reduced to about 8 or 9 tracks. Good if you like darker stuff.

Earthling is Drum and Bass. Listen to it if you like Drum and Bass.

'hours...' is melancholy as fuck, downtempo, and has a lot of soft drum machines. If you like slower stuff this'll be a good album.

Heathen is a fantastic album. Very versetile musically and the best of Bowie's 2000s+ output imo. I love his vocal performance on the album. Definitely listen.

Reality has a fucking awful cover but a lot of great songs including the best album closer I've heard in my life. Listen.

TND is more downtempo as well and has a lot weaker vocals. Not essencial but still a pretty decent album.

Hope this helps.

Sorry, he was trying to sell out by making music that was mainstream of that time period.

My mistake, euphemistic phrases are fun.

Tonight is basically an inferior Let's Dance with one or two decent tracks, and Never Let Me Down was panned so badly it spurred him to form Tin Machine

No you're just an idiot

Fuck. Tagged the wrong guy.

See here.

Thank you, appreciate it. I'll definitely keep these in mind while listening to those. I actually screenshotted it too.

Glad to help :) (Just wish I could tell who's who in this thread, keep not knowing who to give advice to)

It doesn't mean he's a bad artist, and he was a self criticiser too, and every artist should get criticism. But the level of pandering on that album is really apparent. I like Modern Love, but the album feels like filler that exists for the singles. It's just such a massive change from the Berlin trilogy and Scary Monsters that I find jarring.

It is a sell-out album. That's not always a bad thing, VU - Loaded was a sell out album and that's great.

>It doesn't mean he's a bad artist, and he was a self criticiser too, and every artist should get criticism

He wasn't a bad artist and of course he criticized himself, the point your making though?

>But the level of pandering on that album is really apparent

It was the peak of 80s pop and he wanted to release his own take/mark on 80s pop. He did a great job and released some fantastic hits that are still played today. He succeeded critically and commercially, goal achieved.

>but the album feels like filler that exists for the singles

That's every artist album.

>It's just such a massive change from the Berlin trilogy and Scary Monsters that I find jarring.

Bowie was always about change and doing different things. His 90s stuff is a lot different from Let's Dance/80s stuff.

I wish he would have kept going in the style of Scary Monsters, that album was one of his best. Don't know why he followed it up with something so mediocre.

Bowie himself hated the record, first album he didn't get to play any instruments on, he had very little input on the production, Niles Rodgers completely changed some of the songs and Bowie hated the final version of it. The whole thing is a mess.

>the point *your* making though?
You told me to eat shit because I said that he sold out as an musician. In which he admitted himself. Then I said that he wasn't a bad artist for doing it. you are acting like I'm committing a crime by saying that.

>It was the peak of 80s pop and he wanted to release his own take/mark on 80s pop
Right, he wanted to make an album that pandered to the most popular style at the time. Literally a euphemism for selling out to mainstream appeal.

>He did a great job and released some fantastic hits that are still played today
Success and financial wise yes, but "great job" is subjective. Just because "Critics" gave it a decent rating, isn't convincing in the slightest.

>That's every artist album.
Incorrect.

>Bowie was always about change and doing different things
Dandy, I find it jarring because the quality of the music has gone down, From experimental rock to accessible mainstream dance/disco/pop music.

I honestly feel like Bowie's 90's work is glossed over by most, it sounds so much more appealing than Let's Dance and other 80's Bowie music.

Modern Love is an incredible song, give it props for that. I'm not a fan of the title track though.

And to be fair, it's much better than what came after. Though I feel that he thought himself as a sell-out for making Let's Dance which drove him to depression and loss of inspiration. He refers to those years as his "Phil Collins era"