youtube.com/watch?v=f8KTJRot6wI
youtube.com/watch?v=uHQnb3HS4hc
vimeo.com/146106501
youtube.com/watch?v=IKSoBJ8WirE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Me

You

no one

björk's belated cultural impact was so devastating that it practically made her niche uninhabitable for decades to come

Hoepfully nobody

who the fuck is bjork

i thought Sup Forums was for young guys

Bjork is still Bjork.

But who's her successor?

> every boy is a snake is a lily
> every pearl is a lynx is a girl
what did she mean by this

There are plenty of decent female auteurs around but none on the same level.
Artists like her are rare.

I thought FKA Twigs might develop into something great but she developed into a shill for Nike instead.

>There are plenty of decent female auteurs around but none on the same level.
Not even Claire Boucher? I thought she has the potential to beat Bjork at her own game.

Looong way off imo.

She doesn't have the voice, the emotional range or the diversity of influences making it into her music.

She has some good songs though, let's see how she develops...so far her stuff has been v obvious/poppy but with interestingish production. Bjork's the real deal in terms of melody, harmony, content/concept, production (including help from friends obvs).

Lana Del Rey

artists don't have/need sucessors jfc this meme needs to die

>She doesn't have the voice, the emotional range or the diversity of influences making it into her music.
What? Grimes has a huge range, just listen to her music. From the quietest songs to real bangers, from barely there whispering (Heartbeats) to screams (Scream). I'm not even talking about the multitude of influences from many other genres. Bjork has a stronger voice, but also a more annoying one.

>She has some good songs though, let's see how she develops...so far her stuff has been v obvious/poppy but with interestingish production.
There's nothing wrong with poppy songs. Most great songs in the history are pop (even dark ones, like Love Will Tear Us Apart). Bjork also did obvious pop songs (Oh It's So Quiet, Army of Me, Hyperballad, Human Behaviour, Isobel, Big Time Sensuality, Venus as Boy, Violently Happy, Bachelorette, Alarm Call, etc). She became more abstract later in her career.

>Bjork's the real deal in terms of melody, harmony, content/concept, production (including help from friends obvs).
You're wrong. Grimes has a much bigger talent, especially when it comes to songwriting and production. The catchiest Bjork songs can't stand a chance against Realiti, Genesis, Oblivion, Weregild, Be a Body, Butterfly, Flesh Without Blood, Circumambient, Symphonia IX (My Wait Is U), etc. Bjork is famous for her Bjorkisms, Grimes is famous for her really good songs.

Arca

Arca

Arca

Arca

Arca

Arca

Just because he collaborated with Bjork?

Dead grapes

Arca

youtube.com/watch?v=1YW94Psk0Jg

Definitely

if that isn't the gayest thing I've ever watched

why ?

lol, hi there Grimes' no.1 fan

This is what Grimes fans are like... I'm glad I don't know any of you in person.

How can you even compare the talent and ambition of Bjork to Grimes? Grimes hasn't innovated anything... anything at all. She's made somewhat interesting pop, that's it. Nothing more to say.

If this is your honest opinion please leave and never return

No, he is the new Bjork because he's the new Bjork.

Everything you've said here couldn't be more bias towards you're unhealthy attraction towards Grimes.

>Bjork is famous for her Bjorkisms, Grimes is famous for her really good songs

What an absurd statement to make. I feel like it's beyond commenting on.

Fanboy/girlism is worse than cancer.

you know I get the whole appreciation for the male figure and exploring feminine energy as a man but in 20 years you will look back on this and laugh and realize it's a product of the times and it's theatrical value has little merit
Imo it depreciates from his musical ability to be so expressively homoerotic

its not us grimes fans. its the same one guy
far as im concerned grimes is her own thing. not comparable to anybody
no thats just your insecurity honey

falling for the modern art meme

no thats you with your usage of "memes" as negative criticism.
looking back is what insecure people do. he only talks about moving forward

I'd tend to agree.

He's definitely a very talented/hardworking guy but improvising a melodramatic vocal line and then adding some hip sound design via Iris & Live is not going to stand the test of time.

imo Entañas is better than the new stuff and his previous album.

lolling at the massive Grimes fan up in here - she's quite good ƒam but her whacky style doesn't make her the creative genius you want her to be.

Talks about moving forward but sings traditional melodramatic South American pop.................

btw i think he's quite good

entanas was a group effort with totalfreedom and mica levi.
tho i strongly disagree mutant is his best work as of late.
youtube.com/watch?v=H5ab5Cje7i8
youtube.com/watch?v=f8KTJRot6wI
tracks like those are amazing progression from his abstract hip hop phase.
only person i'd say doing the same as him is amnesia scanner

>but sings traditional melodramatic South American pop.................
lol no
only song i can think of in the same vein as arca current songs is this youtube.com/watch?v=uHQnb3HS4hc
i'd love to hear your examples SA Pop similar to arca latest songs

woah dog butterfly effect me Ashton
so flamboyant sweaty bodies is your thing thats cool but his expression and representation of it is clearly just a "show your pride" thing that's a product of the new wave liberalism of the decade we're in
if u can't see that you're a goober, we are not looking at a classic with that crap, we're looking at a modern art jerk off session that will be forgotten as a piece of the times it was made in
he's a phenomenal artist who could be exalted for talent but his gratuitous showmanship of his sexuality is a waste of time, that kind of thing is rarely done tastefully in anyones case
just my opinion, and I'm bisexual so you can't pull that insecurity shit on me

Amnesia Scanner is 2 ppl and boring as fuk

that video is nothing
hes done much more intense "showing your pride" as you call it here
vimeo.com/146106501
with the hundreds of thousands of "art" being made today. yeah i agree lots will be forgotten but to say arca is one of those i strongly disagree. whether or not you're uncomfortable with how his music videos are made. You can't deny the sounds he is making is still in its own category and could be influential as time progresses. whether its his hip hop phase or current one.
being bi-sexual does not change your insecurity . plenty of hip hop videos exploit woman on a way worse level than just a couple of sweat bodies cmon man.

This. Bjork exists in her own niche ALONGSIDE the music mainstream. The only reason why that niche exists is because it fits her, and as soon as/if she decides to vacate it (ie. retire) it will simply cease to be an active thing. No one's going to "replace" her because there would be no point since there is nothing to gain from it.

There is a reason why - despite her having had a close to 40 year colorful, productive career - the section of her Wikipedia page that details her proteges is filled with names of people virtually no one has ever heard of. Bjork isn't the start of some sort of new musical movement or genre. She's just a solo artist doing her own thing off by herself. The same kind of thing as Scott Walker. They might be inspiring to other people. But know one is going to follow in their footsteps because those footsteps are too specific to them.

Disgusting

Nobody

>This is what Grimes fans are like...
Technically he's a troll. He just happens to like Grimes (at least atm.) Stop feeding the trolls. Also - stop letting yourself get triggered by psots in obvious b8 threads - it just brings you down to their level.

can we stop mentioning Grimes?
you are only luring her cancerous fans into this thread

Is this what you wanted? Just another sign that music and culture in general is reaching levels of pathos never imagined.

There's nothing wrong with Grimes, but she blatantly sold out with Art Angels and thus is in a different world than Bjork, who could've also easily sold out after Post (mind you, Bjork was a lot more famous back then than Grimes is right now) and become one of the hugest pop stars in the world, but thankfully she chose her love for music over mainstream success and we got the amazing and progressive Homogenic and Vespertine.
I don't think there is a new Bjork so far. All the new quirky female art pop singers are gutless, boring, derivative and a lot less musically adventurous and passionate than her.
Karin Dreijer is the exception, but she's pretty much unknown, so comparing her to Bjork, who's had such a big impact on pop culture, is kinda weird. Plus she hasn't put out anything in years.

>she blatantly sold out with Art Angels
Who do you think she sold out to?

And no - neither Grimes nor anyone else is or is going to be Bjork 2.0 because . Even Grimes is about doing her own thing INSIDE the mainstream - not outside it like Bjork.

i didn't know bjork made music for blockbuster movies
face it kid grimes S O L D O UT

>Even Grimes is about doing her own thing INSIDE the mainstream - not outside it like Bjork.
what? at her commercial height björk was a far bigger mainstream concern than grimes has been (and most likely ever will be)

>i didn't know bjork made music for blockbuster movies
user, how is contributing your own music to someone else's project selling out? That would be THEM selling out to YOU.

out of all the indie films in the world. she decides to contribute the one of with the biggest budgets of that year
hmmmmmmmmm

>mainstream concern
Commercial success and mainstream relevance are separate things. Bjork is an alternative artist who makes alternative music. What she does musically has no effect on the musicians around her who do similar stuff because there aren't any. By contrast, Grimes is an alternative artist who makes mainstream music. Which is why she really isn't all that comparable to Bjork on anything other than a purely surface level.

not really sure if i'm following your train of thought here. while she undeniably had her own little niche, her '90s music was still very much informed and influenced by contemporary dance/electronic/hip hop (and in turn an influence on others)

however, even if the lines between alt and pop have blurred/changed since björk's heyday, she certainly never did anything as blatant, obvious and aggressively commercial as art angels though, i'll give you that

I'll use an argument many grimesshills use. Your opinion is subjective so it doesn't matter what you write ;)

Lol. He's starting to pick up on how to conduct an actual conversation. Who says /pol's negative side effects are irreversible?

>How can you even compare the talent and ambition of Bjork to Grimes? Grimes hasn't innovated anything... anything at all. She's made somewhat interesting pop, that's it. Nothing more to say.
What a shitty thing to say. She innovated synthpop, dummy.

not true

> she's quite good ƒam but her whacky style doesn't make her the creative genius you want her to be.
It's pretty clear you didn't give her art a fair chance. You could say the same thing about Bjork - that's she's whacky. Grimes's genius is in her art. Period.

And zambomafooouuuuooo

That's just my opinion, no need to generalize it like a dumb monkey. Stop being so triggered and try to prove me wrong if you already wasted time posting ITT.

> she's quite good ƒam but her whacky style doesn't make her the creative genius you want her to be.
It's pretty clear you didn't give her art a fair chance. You could say the same thing about Bjork - that she's whacky. Grimes's genius is in her art. You notice it or you don't. Period.

Not an argument
>intentionally posting obviously photoshopped pictures

>There's nothing wrong with Grimes, but she blatantly sold out with Art Angels
She didn't. Bjork did Post after Debut, in the same way Grimes did Art Angels after Visions. The main thing you should know is that Grimes ALWAYS loved pop music. How could you call her a sellout if she did what she wanted to do? Just in case you don't know, she has complete control over her music.

>i didn't know bjork made music for blockbuster movies
Just one song she did for a film based on a comic she LOVED it =/= selling out. Again, you have no idea that she's a big fan of the character Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad. She did it for money but also because she liked the concept of the film.

>while she undeniably had her own little niche, her '90s music was still very much informed and influenced by contemporary dance/electronic/hip hop (and in turn an influence on others)
That's par for the course for all commercially successful alternative artists though. I mentioned Scott Walker earlier because imo he is a very good example of someone else on a similar artistic path to Bjork. If you go back to either his or Bjork's early musical works they were VERY much within keeping of what else was out there at the time. However, as you move chronologically through their discographies, there music gets further away from the current mainstream. That is what makes them alternative artists.

Thom York

ah, right. we're on the same page then

>Bjork is an alternative artist who makes alternative music.
Nope. She makes mainstream music (at least used to make). See her sales and chart positions. She's way more mainstream than Grimes will ever be.

>at least used to make
See
and

>Just one song she did for a film based on a comic she LOVED it =/= selling out. Again, you have no idea that she's a big fan of the character Harley Quinn from Suicide Squad. She did it for money but also because she liked the concept of the film.

>By contrast, Grimes is an alternative artist who makes mainstream music.
Absolutely bollocks. It seems you didn't even listen to mainstream music. Name ONE mainstream artist that does music like her (including oddities like Scream, Omega, Life in the Vivid Dream, Beast Infection, Eight, etc).

>she certainly never did anything as blatant, obvious and aggressively commercial as art angels though, i'll give you that
WTF is commercial about Art Angels? That album barely charted and sold much less than any mainstream album / any Bjork album. What is aggressively commercial about an album full of quirky songs, quirky singing and with a whacky artwork? Unlike Bjork, Grimes didn't even put her face on her covers (except Darkbloom EP). Bjork always used her image on all her covers for a full effect and Grimes - the real alternative musician in this equation - avoided that to let her music speak for itself. I'm not even talking about that AA was made all by herself in her own studio.

nice

alright settle down ricardo

Nobody

Björk is Björk
Grimes is Grimes
Loreena McKennitt is Loreena McKennit
Joanna Newsom is Joanna Newsom

Stop comparing artists that are not alike

The joke's on you, I'm not a Bjork fan. Don't talk about rope in the dead man's house, Ricardo.

What's funny is that Bjork was able to achieve commercial success and maintain a huge fan base without losing her integrity and releasing desperate, shitty pop songs like Grimes has.

That's how good she is.

>without losing her integrity
That's why she did sexy videos for Hidden Place, Alarm Call, Pagan Poetry? That's why she showed her big breasts in the Pagan Poetry video? That's why she sang about sex so much? That's why she posed on so many photoshoots (even more than Grimes)?

She has a fanbase because of her Bjorkisms. Her fanbase is aging too now that she's past her prime (she has fewer followers on Spotify and IG than Grimes).

>shitty pop songs like Grimes has.
What is I Miss You if not a blatant shitty pop song with a shitty video? youtube.com/watch?v=IKSoBJ8WirE

Please, don't talk shit about Grimes if your precious Bjork did commercial pop songs too.

>WTF is commercial about Art Angels?
what isn't? c'mon man. didn't she go to some music biz writing camp? it's super catchy and checks all the marks for a going-mainstream record. all done well and competently, mind you, but so awfully, awfully dull

any 'quirk' you come across is simply for quirkiness' sake, because it's getting increasingly apparent that a persona is the only unique thing grimes has to offer — the songs are unremarkable, the lyrics paint-by-numbers

hey for all i know she might have a vespertine in the can, but right now claire's ascent looks more and more like a conceited grab for celebrity than, y'know, actual artistry. like the music's an afterthought or merely a component in her 'brand' or whatever. and there's nothing wrong with being mediocre! it's just boring

>it's super catchy and checks all the marks for a going-mainstream record. all done well and competently
Catchy =/= commercial. There are plenty of catchy songs and didn't have any commercial success. AA wasn't a bestseller no matter how you're spinning it.

>but so awfully, awfully dull
Just your subjective opinion. I find this album to be very exciting. Maybe you just don't like pop music.

>the songs are unremarkable, the lyrics paint-by-numbers
(You)

>hey for all i know she might have a vespertine in the can, but right now claire's ascent looks more and more like a conceited grab for celebrity than, y'know, actual artistry. like the music's an afterthought or merely a component in her 'brand' or whatever. and there's nothing wrong with being mediocre! it's just boring
Boring, mediocre are just subjective terms. You just don't really like her music.

As for artisty, what means artistry to you? Being authentic? Well, Grimes is one of the most authentic artists ever. Everything you hear in her music exist because she wanted that, not because some record label exec demanded it. Just to clear things up about her artistry. It's funny to accuse an indie artist of selling out just because she DARED (the HORROR!) to make poppier music.

Clearly

You can still be sexy, sing about sex and have photoshoots without losing your integrity. I do think Grimes has lost some integrity after Art Angels to be honest, which is a shame. There's nothing wrong with pop music, I'm just not a fan of AA. I hope her next album is a return to form.

Hardly anyone uses the follow feature on Spotify, and Instagram followers don't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Bjork has more Facebook likes and Twitter followers anyway.

Don't know why you bring up aging, everybody ages, even 'your precious' Grimes.

>I do think Grimes has lost some integrity after Art Angels to be honest, which is a shame.
You're overreacting. AA is still synthpop like Visions, just more upbeat and with more guitars and cleaner production. There is still plenty of quirkness in her music. Shame you don't see the appeal.

By the way she would lose some integrity if she milked that Visions sound once again. In fact she risked her career with that AA move. The risk paid off, because AA got even bigger acclaim than Visions.

It's the same thing as Kate Bush did by following the weird The Dreaming with the much more accessible Hounds of Love. I bet many people accused her of selling out, but now looking back, all that criticism seem silly.

yep same guy again
you need mental help buddy

possibly

why the fuck do people keep saying this on Sup Forums

You're on the wrong board, buddy. I discuss music, you're shitposting here. Go away.

>mental help
What does that even mean?

there is no new Björk

all of these people keep posting will be forgotten, they don't feel genuine like björk.

björk was something entirely unique to herself which is something that's hard to come by

Even Bjork will be completely forgotten in 100 - 1000 - 10000 years (take your pick) from now. It matters what is relevant during your lifetime.

there's nothing 'daring' about making pop bruv. if grimes has reached her goal of writing the type of music she wants, good for her, but an album can still be commercial without shipping boatloads. it just ends up becoming that sad thing: a pop album that didn't sell

>there's nothing 'daring' about making pop bruv.
It's daring after making weird music like Geidi Primes, Halfaxa, Darkbloom, Visions. Judge it from that perspective, bruh. Any change of style instead repeating the same formula is daring. Also you seem very biased against pop music. Pop music is as valid as jazz or whatever.

>it just ends up becoming that sad thing: a pop album that didn't sell
Wrong. It's an art pop album that sold a lot for an indie record and a little for a mainstream record. FYI Grimes is an indie artist, so pick your standard accordingly.

>but an album can still be commercial without shipping boatloads
Every album put on sale is commercial. Even Brian Eno's latest ambient album. The purpose is to make money, don't fool yourself.