So, just finished these books... never watched the movies... All I can say is THIS WAS THE GREATEST THING OF MY LIFE

So, just finished these books... never watched the movies... All I can say is THIS WAS THE GREATEST THING OF MY LIFE

What now though?

What do I do? I've never had that good of a time reading, and don't think I ever will again. They broke me Sup Forums

What books do I move onto now? What lives up to the experiance here?

Other urls found in this thread:

hpmor.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The dark tower series by stephen king

Kill yourself.

Read the classics, I found that a lot of the books I read back in high school were really good.
Beyond that try Lord of the Rings, the Shannara Chronicles, and maybe some Star Wars novels. I'm sure you'd get better suggestions on /lit/ though

no i dont think so.

im on song of susannah and am only finishing the story because im so close.

if he found a way to wrap up the story at the end of drawing of the three it would be a perfect series.

you should watch the movies. they dont live up to the books, but are really good anyways.

the next series you might want to try is is discworld, his dark materials, or the chronicles or narnia. The ember series is pretty good if you are into distopia

However, imo, The Lord of the Rings is hands down the best Fantasy/High Fantasy book/series you could ever hope to get through.

Trust me friend, read the other (2-3, i forget if SoS is book 5 or 6) and thabk me, he really makes shit work in the end. Atleast i felt he did, i hated SoS but it was worth it for the rest of the series

I did read a lot of classics, but honestly hated half of them. I've never heared of the Shannara chronicles, maybe I'll give them a go.

My friend says that the movies were complete ass. He said they even left out the half blood prince from the half blood prince movie. THE FUCK???

Discworld sounds neat, I did read Narnia and didn't care for them. Thanks for the suggestions.

Read "Master Of The Game" by Sydney Sheldon and get a fuckin grip on reality you head in the clouds ass bitch.
I knocked some chick up reading those books and now my life is hell on a daily basis
FALALALALALALALALALALALALALALALA

Read Fantastic Beasts, it's by the same author and on the same universe, plus i heard they are pretty good books.

Its book 5. and Im going to finish the series. I thought I've said that. SoS is short as hell so its not an issue/

Its his writing style, he stretches out the most pointless shit, the conversations with Andy, explaining the sound of the thinnies 143000 times. The smell of something taking an entire page, and then the climax of a story takes 1 paragraph.

Its like impotence the book.

If I could go back and not have read the first three books I would have never read the series in the first place.

Which is why I wouldn't suggest them to anyone else.

I feel like this series is a series for people who havn't quite gotten into any other series, and in general dont read that much but attached to tdt because it was their first or only

A Song of Ice and Fire got me through a lot of travelling. I listen to the audio books on youtube. Different enough from the show that I enjoyed it.

They leave out weird stuff, like the entire beginning of book 4. The entire scene with the kitchen workers, but still really push the idea of spew. They didn't flesh out the entirety of the hp universe as it could have been. But JK also completely flipped the style of the books after 3 because she was writing for a 5 and then 7 and then 8 movies series instead of writing harry through 6 years of school.

It was meant originally to be the story of a boy becoming a wizard, and the zany mishaps. That is until the runaway success of the movies. Then she had to take what was in books 1-3 and flesh out an entire series which is why the tone and story change from 3 forward and voldemort comes back into play and then dominates the story

If you actually enjoyed those books, then I suggest you read pic related.

I did read it, I'm also looking for the other book, Bettle and barb or something like that. Fantastic Beast and where to find them was a neat concept. I do hear the movie is complete ass though... IDK as I haven't seen the movies.
Should I watch the old movies before seeing this one?

Same with King... He forces shit to stretch so fucking much sucks at writing... He writes horrid characters and stories based on cool concepts.

Personally i like the things you are describing. It gives a sense to how the world and the people experiencing it are falling apart (the whole rolands love interest book comes to mind, how midway through the book, they take a break and realize they have been listening to a story for what should have been days, and how its still night one) and it really adds the unspoken layer. The layer where you are gripped. The other famous book that had this is the hobbit, where his small interactions really bound you to the story.

And thats a good point. That entire book is flashbacks though is it not?

I read up on what they cut out and can honestly say that I don't even want to watch the movies now. They cut so much out that I thought would need to be in, like voldemort's backstory and why he can't feel love. They also CHANGED THE FUCKING ENDING??? FUCKING WHY???

The books pushed so hard that Voldemort was nothing but a human, but the movies have him burst into ash and shit? That makes no sense to me.

you're right, not enough reason for me not to have seen or enjoy them. but if thats enough reason not to try them right on

Yes it is. Now, im the last person to try and convince anyone a book is good (terrible at convincing people to do shit) but i just feel its an underrated series. Yes, SK does churn out quite a lot. But this was his baby, and i feel it shows. Also, his richard bachman books are pretty good, especially blaze

Either read fanfiction written by morons or Roleplay with other morons who can't write.

Not really HP related, but the Wheel of Time and Mistborn series are nice. There are like 14 WoT books, and by the end of it the characters will feel like your family.

Yea, I'm an adult who's just now read them, so I've got no nostalgia filter and such on them, so hearing what's gone makes no sense, and doens't entise me to watch the films.

Watched the final fight and all I can say is WHO'S IDEA WAS THIS???

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Rowling pronounced his name Vol-deh-more
That's how I've always read it and such, but the movies pronounce the T at the end.

Does pic related look like

> "hit the floor with a MUNDANE finality, his body feeble and shrunken, white hands empty, the snake like face vacant and unknowing" to you?

If you liked the Harry Potter books, try the Chronicles of Narnia. Narnia is an amazing series.

Also, while it's more oriented for a younger audience (like the early Harry Potter books), check out the "Wrinkle In Time" series. I think there are four books in total (though I could be wrong), and they're quite well written.

Another neat fantasy series is the Bartimaeus trilogy. It's also about magicians, but has much more political/adult themes.

The A Song of Ice and Fire books are fucking great. The show gets worse and worse but the books are great.

Also listen to the harry potter audio books, they're narrated so well it's a whole new experience.

That bitch who wrote Harry potter has went full on crazy bitch. Old long beard is now a fag, the girl that Emma Watson played is black, voldemort is being said wrong and she couldn't fix it. Fuck her she's a stupid bitch.

Read a book like Lord of the flies and then watch the old movie adaptation, not the new one. the new one involves a bunch of kids swearing like motherfuckers. The old one is almost exactly like the book and the book itself is amazing.

What a miserable life you have lived my friend.

Old Long beard was always a fag to be fair.

Though Hermione being black makes no sense to me.

And yea, I was just sayint that earlier I think... it's Voldemor, not voldemort when it comes to pronunciation.

What do you mean by that?

You can start with the robots saga from Isaac Asimov

artemis fowl series
and tomorow when the war began series.

I found both great reads

I would start with a good wholesome epic like Electric Jesus Corpse or for a noice comedic romp you can read Fatal Shore.

Its time.

Read all four of the Four Chinese Classics.
>Journey to the West
>Romance of Three Kingdoms
>Water Margin
>Story of the Stone

Read the Wheel of Time series. Not all of it, it gets pretty crappy towards the end. But the first five books or so are amazing, if you're in a harry potter phase.

Dune

faggot loving feminist sjw cuck detected

Am a faggot, but hates feminists and SJW's.

did not finish the book but it was cool and weird af. kinda wish i did.

A Song of Ice and Fire filled the void in my soul that Harry Potter left. I'd try that.

You read Ullyses, the Brothers Karamazov and In the Search of Lost Time and realize modern literature is nothing but the rotting corpse of the great works of the late 19th, early 20th Century.

overrated.

They weren't very good though. Especially when he started writing more about the food and less about the events.

>And correct me if I'm wrong, but Rowling pronounced his name Vol-deh-more
She pronounced it with the "t" for the majority of the time, then changed it later. She changed her mind on a lot after it was all written... should have just let them be, and shut the fuck up.

I know this is purely anecdotal, but I loved the Harry Potter books when I was younger. And I currently read a lot of Charles Bukowski, Chuck Palahniuk, Bret Easton Ellis, H.P. Lovecraft, Philip K. Dick, Vonnegut, and anything that strikes me as a "classic." Moby Dick was interesting, but a grind of a read. Count Of Monte Cristo is an all-time favorite. Anything by Ayn Rand is a must-read so long as you don't let it influence your political views. Her stuff is well written, but her viewpoints mostly represent edgelords for a reason. Also, recently grabbed a copy of The Urantia Book. No idea what to expect. Was always curious because I was intrigued by Deadsy, but I know nobody that's even heard of the book, so I'm going in blind. But it's a long read, if that's your thing.

Overrated & Overpriced Books.

>The show gets worse and worse
So did the books. Too many character perspectives for no reason, writing in more deaths just for shock value, writing more about food than about story lines, and his entire world concept is barely even started before the final couple books. It was a mess from the third book on. I can't believe people compare him to Tolkien, or even Rowling.

How exactly does the show get worse and worse? Season 6 was arguably the best season. Oh that's right, it's edgy to dislike popular things. You're so cool.

Don't forget the spinoff books, Fantastic Beasts, Quidditch through the Ages, Beetle the Bard, and Cursed Child. Be sure to read the English books, not the American ones, and maybe look up the audio books. They're outstanding.

Watch FMA:B of course.

go read the sprawl trilogy by william gibson.

maybe you could try a book for grownups next

OK you go jerk it to traps and lolis while I go re-read HP series.

top kek. this.
harry potter is kids. but everyone needs their baby steps when they first start getting into reading.

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher. Also by Jim Butcher is the Dresden Files. The first is a fantasty of elemental magic meets the ancient Romans. The second is magic meets detective novels. 6 books in Codex, like 19 or so in Dresden

Pic related.

I am a huge fan of the original series but this is still my favourite Harry Potter book by far.

You can read it for free here: hpmor.com/