"Rock is dead in a lot of ways...

"Rock is dead in a lot of ways. I can remember in the 90s us playing with Smashing Pumpkins or Pearl Jam and how exciting it would be. It was just an exciting time for rock music. A lot of times, especially recently, I look at rock music as kind of a dead form in a lot of ways. Nothing to take away from us and [Pearl Jam], because obviously I believe we’re relevant bands that come with a real energy."

"Back when I was a kid, and I told my folks that I wanted to be a rock star, they said I was crazy, it would never work, I should get a real job, and so on. I was like 'Fuck it, I don’t care, this is what I want to do, this means everything to me, I found a home.' I’ve been a weird, neurotic, loner all my life, I was always the kid you called fag in high school, punk rock gave me a home. Nowadays, you decide you want to be in a rock band and it’s like, ‘Oh great, let’s get you an image consultant, and a lawyer, and a manager, and let’s see what we can do here. It’s a great money-making opportunity for you, junior.’"

Other urls found in this thread:

nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/is-rock-n-roll-dead-or-just-old.html?_r=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Oh look, it's another case of "Bitter old man yells at cloud."

nytimes.com/2016/11/20/opinion/sunday/is-rock-n-roll-dead-or-just-old.html?_r=0

This guy says rock has run out of gas the way jazz ran out of gas in the 1970s.

Human civilisation has run out of gas as a whole. The only living artforms are terrorist atrocities and neofascist violence.

I think inventing new things to be offended at is the new patrician artform

In all honesty I think Rock is dead in the sense that the high energy, hard living, party all the time, feel good mentality has reached critical mass.

Hip Hop has oversaturated the narcissism and hedonism to the point where rock songs in this vein feel old hat instantly. So much "cool" music has been made that I'm almost desperate for something staid and prudent just for a fucking change.

Chili Peppers suck, Flea's butthurt cuz the kids don't like him no more. If anything Rock Musician became harder to be the industry is on it's last legs and it's on a down turn compared to Rnb and hip hop

>Nowadays, you decide you want to be in a rock band and it’s like, ‘Oh great, let’s get you an image consultant, and a lawyer, and a manager, and let’s see what we can do here. It’s a great money-making opportunity for you, junior.’"
The funny thing is, he's not even right on that either. Trap/soundcloud Memphis rap is the way to go if you want easy money and instant gratification.

Would you quit fucking posting this in every thread? It stopped being funny or interesting 2 years ago.

I'm surprised how much chili peppers aged like dogshit

I think the garbage lyrics and kiedis' posturing are the main offender but idk even Flea's bass sounds shitty to me now. Maybe just overexposure. They stayed together too long after the magic died. Also they never really expanded their sound beyond "muh California funk!"

>but idk even Flea's bass sounds shitty to me now.
his tone is mostly shit except for the BSSM and one hot minute albums, when he didn't use those meme basses

you don't have to invent things when history is just repeating itself

This post marginalizes me with micro-aggressions and REEKS of ableism from a historocentric worldview.

I'm literally shaking. Thanks.

really gets the ol brain nuggets fried up

Trump's Great Cultural Revolution would take care of that, I assure you. Just like the 60s radicals morphed into yuppies in a blink, you are gonna see those neon haired tumblr harlots and numales blossom into proud, disciplined Männer und Frauen.

Flea is a fried out old man who's out of touch with what's going on in punk rock and extreme music these days.

Rock isn't dead, the billion dollar industry it use to fund has crumbled.

He is wrong in so many ways, speacially thinking he is still relevant.

He sounded great on Atoms for peace tho

The fact that he thinks Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam are interesting is a part of the problem.

I think he means dead in the sense of commercial. What was the last huge rockband to come that was as house hold of a name as a Nirvana or a Slayer or a Radiohead? I'm not saying that rock music sucks now, but commercially, very few people are doing interesting things in rock music. Hip hop is the new dominant platform of the youth. You don't get kids who are into punk or rock, you get kids who are into trap rap and EDM. It's a paradigm shift, it happens.

lol so true sadly.

The real problem with rock and basically all pop music forms right now isn't overcommercialization
Overcommercialization has been a constant since corporate acts like Bing Crosby and Frank Sinatra were king
The real problem right now is a lack of composers with a true gift for melody
You end up with overly derivative bullshit and albums without singles in all genres

Maybe it's dead for this old junkie and his band of irrelevant hacks. Mr.Bungle were so much more talented that the sorry bunch that are the Red Hots.

I was just thinking about this the other day, and I kind of came to the conclusion that Nirvana killed rock. In the 80's, mainstream rock and alternative genres were way different, but after Nirvana combined a lot of 80's alternative and reinvented it as pop it acted as a kind of logical end-point for Rock and caused the music industry to focus exclusively on these blenderized, generic, alterna-pop genres like Pop-Punk, Nu-Metal, Post-Grunge, etc.

Of course there's the indie scene but it's all backwards looking with little mass appeal; and kind of shallow as well. Bands like PJ, RHCP, and Nirvana were trying to reach a lot of people with creative and fun music but indie bands are basically classic rock cosplayers who have no desire to create music that appeals to anyone outside of their niche. I think what rock music really needs is something to shock it out of its apathy, something big, loud, new, and weird; maybe kind of like what Babymetal might be doing in metal; no more of this "I'm a twenty-something rockstar and no one understands me!" crap.

Just guessing, but I think he may be talking about societal attitude and not actual chances of success. Being in a band is still considered a really cool thing to do and parents of course are very different than they used to be. You could probably tell your parents "Hey Mom, hey Dad. Guess what, I've decided I want to become a male exotic dancer!" and they'd probably be like "Oh that's great now we can take pole dancing lessons together!". The point being, there's nothing left for rock to rebel against, rockers have become the squares and the reactionaries, and the ones who look backward.

>You could probably tell your parents "Hey Mom, hey Dad. Guess what, I've decided I want to become a male exotic dancer!" and they'd probably be like "Oh that's great now we can take pole dancing lessons together!".
wtf

>RHCP
every fucking time

You could have just said the way gas ran out of gas in the 70s desu

>42%

Reminder that RHCP had 2 top 200 best selling albums of 2016. Rock is dead because motherfuckers like them are literally still relevant.

"Flea is dead"
---Rock

what does this even mean?

shh nobody tell him

>The point being, there's nothing left for rock to rebel against, rockers have become the squares and the reactionaries, and the ones who look backward.

then where does rock and guitar based music go from here ?

further into the grave?

the music elitist fucks won't allow new rock and guitar based muscians to go forward that and no on wants to go foward with it

they all wanna be like slash and typical rock guitar players

r.i.p. rock and guitar music

it don't matter what it means

worry more about where music in the future is going man.

lol then make a prudent guitar album and do it up boi

thanks

Sup Forums save rock Sup Forums save rock

say it with me bois