Friendly reminder that, if Brian Wilson really cared about music...

Friendly reminder that, if Brian Wilson really cared about music, he would have shelved Pet Sounds until The Beatles got tired of acid, and then would give them the album so it could be turned into high art

>now unironically, he should have given Smile in 1969 to the Beatles, so they could properly record it and stay together for a little longer

Other urls found in this thread:

american-rails.com/owl.html#gallery[pageGallery]/4/
american-rails.com/owl.html
youtube.com/watch?v=CnVyCuc9_P8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pet Sounds is grossly overrated; SMiLE isn't that good; The Beatles 1966-1968 were vastly superior. Get over it.

This is what Beatlesfags actually believe.

Pet Sounds would be one of the best albuns ever IF the Beatles had recorded it

This

>Wilson's symphonic arrangements wove elaborate layers of vocal harmonies, coupled with sound effects and unusual instruments such as bicycle bells, buzzing organs, harpsichords, flutes, Electro-Theremin, trains, Hawaiian-sounding string instruments, Coca-Cola cans, and barking dogs, along with the more usual keyboards and guitars.
>For Pet Sounds, Wilson's goal was to create "the greatest rock album ever made" — a personalized work with no filler tracks.
>Pet Sounds is regarded by musicologists as an early concept album that advanced the field of music production, introducing non-standard harmonies and timbres, and incorporating elements of pop, jazz, exotica, classical, and the avant-garde. A heralding work of psychedelic rock, the album signaled an aesthetic trend within rock by transforming it from dance music into music that was made for listening to, elevating itself to the level of art rock. Author Bill Martin said that within Pet Sounds, the Beach Boys "brought expansions in harmony, instrumentation (and therefore timbre), duration, rhythm, and the use of recording technology. Of these elements, the first and last were the most important in clearing a pathway toward the development of progressive rock."
every track has at least 12 people playing the weirdest combination of instruments, theremin with harpsichord, clarinets with prepared pianos, French horn with accordion, etc. and it's all filtered into one weird tone color. this is what cements it in the genre because there is no pop music that really *sounds* like this save for phil spector's songs, but they were often very simple in structure and still only used pianos, guitars, strings, and latin percussion.

the album can't be reduced to a collection of psychedelic quirks (like Sgt. Pepper), because there are no attempts at distortion and very little reliance on tape effects and simple overdubbing tricks

Explain how

How many threads are you going to start today?

I didn't know music was a competition?

what isn't though?

>no filler tracks

Then how did Sloop John B, Pet Sounds, and God Only Knows end up on the album?

10/10 bait

Sloop John B was not supposed to be on the album but the label made them include it because it was their hit single at the time. Its the only flaw with pet sounds but I just skip it every time and the album is perfect.

>skipping sloop john b

its bad and doesn't belong on the album

It's literally the third best song of the album

>he doesn't cum with his grandfather round nassau town
this is the worst board

i've ever been on

Pet Sounds is literally the greatest album of all time.

>God Only Knows
HAHAHAHA

Beatles are overall better, but Pet Sounds and SMiLE are still better than any of their albums. Plus Brian Wilson is probably the definitive arranger and producer of the sixties.

>not to mention muh harmonies

What are you on about? It's a great little cover of an old folk song, some really nice harmonies on it. One of my favourite tracks to be honest.

Wow, great. It sounds like a really nice song and all, but does it fit in with album.

No.

I thought that for the week or two I listened to it too

>but does it fit in with album.
>No.
Why not?

Why does the album's protagonist suddenly go on a boat trip?

What's the narrative of the album?
>boat trip
Perhaps it's a metaphor

lmao

It's about a man growing up. He finds love and then loses love.

Then he jumps in front of a train, dies, and is eaten by dogs

[citation needed]

Have you actually listened to the album more than once?

This. I deleted Sloop John B halfway through listening to it for the first time

>Brian recorded an elephant live in the studio so it has to be good!

Did you just make up your own interpretation of an album, and then just randomly decide a specific song doesn't fit in your own interpretation of the album?

>God Only Knows
>Possible the best composed song since fucking Bach
>filler

at least he did acid once.

I didn't make it up. I think it's a pretty widely accepted interpretation

>I didn't make it up.
Then [citation needed]

fag

I read it here somewhere

>I read it here
lol

That doesn't mean it makes any less sense. Do you think the album is just a collection of songs then?

>That doesn't mean it makes any less sense
It does because there's no validity to it.
>Do you think the album is just a collection of songs then?
It is.

So where in the album does the protagonist die? It's not stated in the lyrics.

Caroline, No he breaks up with the girl.

Then there's train sounds at the end for no other reason than killing himself

>the train sound is obviously a metaphor
>but the trip in Sloop obviously isn't
Nice logic

Explain what metaphors apply to your two examples

>the train sound represents a man being killed, and the dogs represent him being eaten
>the "trip" in Sloop represents the protagonists tribulations in his relationship, in which he longs for the pain to end

>Brian autistically adds bike horns, coca cola cans, barking dogs but as soon as he adds a train noise it becomes all symbolic n sheit

Everything but the dog barks and the train noise were parts of songs. The train and dogs stick out like a big cock

Wrong they are a part of the song as well. They still are on the single release.

But they aren't "part o the song"

Why not?

With the other sounds, they are contributing something to the music. Tacking on a train sound doesn't contribute to the song.

Also, I gotta go now, but I'd love to discuss pet sounds with you again. What's ur email?

>Tacking on a train sound doesn't contribute to the song.
It does, it's Brian leaving on a train, waving goodbye

Plausible, but where in the album does he become a train conductor?

Where did I say he was driving a train?

That's the sound of a steam powered locomotive, which would definitely not have been used as a passenger train, even in Brian's time.

The only logical conclusion is that he became a train conductor

>That's the sound of a steam powered locomotive, which would definitely not have been used as a passenger train, even in Brian's time.
[citation needed]

From Wikipedia:

>From the early 1900s they were gradually superseded byelectricanddiesel locomotives, with full conversions to electric and diesel power beginning in the late 1930s. The majority of steam locomotives were retired from regular service by the 1980s, though several continue to run on tourist and heritage lines.

From Wikipedia:

>In the late 1990s, it was rediscovered that the train sound effect came from a sound effects LP titled Mister D's Machine, recorded in 1963 by Brad Miller. The album featured contemporary recordings of various trains around the Southern Pacific system. The sounds that were lifted for the end of the Pet Sounds album were of Train #58, "The Owl", speeding at 70 mph through Edison, California.

american-rails.com/owl.html#gallery[pageGallery]/4/

Pet Sounds is the best album of the 20th century as it managed to set the bar to popular music in general. It proved that you can take the album format and make a cohesive product with consistant songs and arrengments and in the end, helped popular music to trascend as a medium.

>As ridership declined the train was slowly cutback and made its final run during the 1960s

american-rails.com/owl.html

Though it doesn't say WHEN in the 1960s, I think you might be right.

My autism makes me want to go buy that record now

>grossly overrated
>vastly superior
throwing in adjectives to get your wordcount up doesn't mask your ignorance of theory/blunted sensibilities

Implying you have knowledge of theory doesn't make it so

quiz me fuccboi, i simply cannot believe anyone who listens to music seriously (and knows what's going on) could prefer the beatles

Chart our Being for the Benefit of Mr Kite and then Help Me Rhonda

>Chart out
????

I liked Brians jazz decade better than anything The Beatles ever did

I will fucking kill you

As if Brian had any say in the matter. We all know it was Murry pulling strings from behind the scenes. That guy knew how to kick ass! So talented too. If only Brian had worked it a little harder -O.O-

absolutely wrong in every sense of the word

Pet Sounds, Smile Sessions, Surfs Up, and Sunflower are all 10 times better than anything the Beatles ever put out

But the Beatles did it first, ergo, the Beatles are better

>all those semi-colons

>I totally know music theory
>chart, what's that?

That's dumb as shit. For one thing, the dogs start barking before the train even passes by. It's just a bunch of dogs barking in response to hearing a train.

>SMILE isn't that good

I can't THIS this enough. It's a wonderful making of story and maybe a good concept for an album, but I have no clue why so many Brian Wilson fans love it when all the things that make Wilson great (the lush arrangements, heart on sleeve lyrics, studio experimentation, the harmonies) are largely absent on an album of legitimately half baked and half finished musical ideas

He's already been hit by the train before we hear it. The dogs are just excited to have some fresh meat

Please stop this meme

How about you choose to believe what you want to believe, and I'll choose what I want to believe

it would make sense as brian has a twisted sense of humour

Well, only one of us will actually be right

I'll ask Brian the next time I see him and we will settle this

are you literally memeing me? do you want a full notation?

fucking underrated

Could have been better.

youtube.com/watch?v=CnVyCuc9_P8

Even Brian Wilson admits it

Yep.

Better get a move on and remember you were the one who brought up theory.

Or Occam's razor dictates I'm right and you're wrong

>Occam's razor

With the production of George Martin and The Beatles working hardly Smile would have been amazing, but then again the Beatles liked to write their own songs so yeah.

Nice meme

For real, how can anyone dislike this album. It's Bach-tier

Unpopular opinion coming through:

Pet Sounds is overrated
SMiLE is fucking perfect and way ahead of its time
The Beatles were also great

Is it weird that I'm 19 but I enjoy this type of music?

Look at all these people who haven't clearly grown up in the coast. The train and dogs barking near the beach are part of the coast life and that's why Brian decided to put it, to feel more nostalgic

DUDE POP ROCK WITH HARPICHORDS LMAO

It's weird that you feel the need to ask gay questions on the internet to validate yourself