What made you disregard every single opinion he has?

What made you disregard every single opinion he has?

Other urls found in this thread:

scaruffi.com/quotes.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalog_3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_Memories
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_by_Numbers
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooper_Bay_(album)
scaruffi.com/history/cpt0.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

His poor writing and incomplete biased opinions.

i don't. has an interesting take on music for a mans his age.
rather him than p4k getting butthurt because some artist shitted on them in person aka laura snapes

you do know there's more than pitchfork and scaruffi right? jesus christ Sup Forums

this

this and every other discography he's reviewed.

I've listened to alot of Elliott Smith and I agree with this, I would only switch the scores of either/or and XO

I don't know who you're talking about

But Elliott Smith used to be one of my favourite artists

Those rankings aren't that far off I guess. When I was a massive fan I would've rated each one two points higher, but nowadays I don't really listen to ES that much

I would perhaps increase the score of New Moon, which I think is pretty great, and I actually prefer it to FABOAH. E.g. Folk Song in C is one of my favourite ES songs.

This

>Figure 8 and Basement on a Hill a 5/10

what the fuck
did he make this?

only pedos will defend scaruffis radiohead ratings

His articles about Trump.

only pedos listen to radiohead

IT'S LIKE RAAAIIIIYAAAAAAIIIIN

Yes. His politics/history pieces are fucking retarded, and I actually agree with a lot of his music reviews so I'm not just a #hater

like??????
if you say tmt, rym, allmusic, fader, EA
off yourself

>if you say anything that answers my question you should kill yourself
fuck off

lmao
so you have nothing
jesus christ mu

billboard.com

no u

i certainly don't

9.5/10 posts

praising kanye at all

the mark of a true poser

damn

>Things that may annoy you [In the USA]:

>The USA is the only country left on the planet that still uses the ancient Roman imperial system for measurements (miles, feet, gallons) instead of the metric system
>The USA has very few trains and they are terribly slow and antiquated. This forces the traveler to continuously use airports with all the inconvenience (limited and sometimes lost luggage, security checks, lenghty boarding and disembarking, can't bring your own drinks, limited use of electronic devices, bumpy rides, sardine-like seats, impossible workspace, store things away for take off and landing, etc) and obsolence (airports are usually very far from your destination and transportation to town is expensive and/or slow).
>The planes of US airlines are quite primitive by international standards.
>Prices are never the real price (they never include the "taxes")
>Colossal amount of plastic and colossal waste in general
>Lots of homeless people, more than in any other developed country
>Obese people have the same rights as normal people... and they are really obese (airlines will charge you if you have an extra kg of luggage but will not charge someone whose butt takes two seats)
>Huge gas-sucking cars (their "compact" car is everybody else's "full size" car) and very cheap gasoline, a combination which results in a colossal waste of gasoline
>People do not wash their hands before eating and often suck their fingers when finished eating (when you use the utensils at an all-you-can-eat buffet, those utensils have been used by countless people who did not wash their hands), a puzzling behavior by people who are obsessed with deodorants and showers and flossing

>Air-conditioned buildings (they make you freeze even in the summer)
>Waiters are hysterical about cleaning up your table even before you finished eating
>The USA writes the date as month/day/year instead of day/month/year or year/month/day (a very irrational compromise between the two most widespread formats)
>Anywhere in the USA avoid taxis and shuttles. The drivers can be arrogant and aggressive. They routinely demand a tip, often cheat customers, and are prone to accidents. If you make reservations online, they might ask you to pay the tip even before they show up!
>For mysterious reasons people cannot write the number "9". They write it with a straight vertical line, despite the fact that all their computers and phones show the correct vertical curve (curve, not line).

>your favorite band will never get a scaruffi 7/10

>Cohen died in 2016 at the age of 82, but he had been composing the music for his funeral and bidding his farewell since he wrote his first song. Cohen's career was a career of carefully worded, carefully arranged and carefully sung self-epitaphs. "And even though it all went wrong/ I'll stand before the Lord of Song/ With nothing on my tongue/ But Hallelujah".

>Bowie died of cancer in january 2016.

When he called Phil Elverum "one of the greatest musical minds of his generation" but gave the Glow pt.2 a 6.5/10, the same rating as Pablo Honey.

It doesn't make sense.

he gives like at least 7/10 to like 80% of artists. What shit artist is your favourite?

i need more of this list!

>When he called Phil Elverum "one of the greatest musical minds of his generation"

Where does he say this?

>Obese people have the same rights as normal people
Scaruffi is truly our guy

gbv
he gave bee thousand a 7 I guess

kek

>whiny sad man with guitar
>anything above a 5
I agree, he overrated this nu-male

>For mysterious reasons people cannot write the number "9". They write it with a straight vertical line, despite the fact that all their computers and phones show the correct vertical curve (curve, not line).
It's so it doesn't look like a "g"

These are actually true though. You guys just get protective of extremely average artists.

I don't really like Scaruffis favorites but he's usually dead on about artists that are bad or middling.

jesus fucking christ
that's the dumbest thing I've ever read

>was born in Italy
>translates his reviews in italian using Google Translate
Man

he writes his reviews in Italian and allows people to translate them

This one definitely.

Are you stupid? He called him one of the greatest musical minds and then gave one his best albums a 6.5.

Can you prove that he hasn't listened to them?

What a bitch

scaruffi.com/quotes.html

Most of'em make no sense in italian mate

really makes you think

that isn't even close to his best album you fucking moron.

his project as Mount Eerie has already completely eclipsed everything he did under The Microphones

it's still a reasonably close runner-up

When did he say that? I'm rereading his Microphones page over and over again and I can't find it.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalog_3
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acid_Memories
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Play_by_Numbers
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hooper_Bay_(album)

this stuff is not even available on peer to peer programs (only fakes).
any boc fan can confirm you that no one listened to those early cassettes and albums.

>"You are located not where you are but what you are."
>"Are we the toilet or the plunger?"
>"Games play people"
>"We are fragile opinions surrounded by hostile facts."

>Elliott Smith
>extremely average
whew lad
elliott smith is one of the greatest songwriters at least in terms of melodic command of the past 50 years, unquestionably

I remember someone here emailed him about these and he responded he asked the band themselves for the records.

I'm not doubting that Danny Brown is a meh artist, but he did create one of the best albums of 2016.

He called Deftones the "adult" version of korn and tool but their albums are still higher rated than them. Don't look too much into votes, his words ar emore meaningful.

for me ES either has some GOAT melodies or pretty forgetful. I listen to maybe 5 songs of his that I absolutely love but a majority of the catalogue I can skip

waltz #1&2
Independence day
Baby Britain

learn the language or get out

fantano

+everything means nothing to me

I actually do but yknow, he is supposed to know Italian, or not?

But XXX is even better, how can he be mediocre?

Agreed.

You should listen to his albums again. There are very few songs of his that I don't love. Figure 8, XO, and Either/Or are all perfect.

Given that those songs are some of the most upfront and in-face melodies of his, I implore you to give his discography another listen and pay more attention to the nuance in his songwriting and how his chord progressions play to his melodies. There's a genuine stroke of genius in almost everything he'd written.

The false statements in his Beatles essay

how is bias bad

Nothing, the scores may not seem great though relative to his other reviews they are very good - he uses a far different scoring system than most other reviewers which I'd say is great as it prevents scores from being inflated to cater to his audience or because he had only just heard of them.

Every single opinion he has

No one but troglodyte plebs (aka Scaruffi's audience) give a shit about scores.

it's not, but his biases are very strong
plus he claims being objective in his reviews, which is just straight up bullshit

This can't be

Nothing,he is right about everything and neo/mu/ is filled with the most disgusting plebs

the fact that he supports companies spying on people through smart devices in the name of technological progress

>plus he claims being objective in his reviews

scaruffi.com/history/cpt0.html

"This is the most subjective history of rock music that one could possibly write."

his own words

Details

I enjoyed these

>But also the most impartial, independent, and balanced.
and he contradicts himself immediately afterwards

>Skipping Baby Britain
>Skipping Independence Day
>Skipping either Waltz track
>Skipping fucking Everything Means Nothing To Me, arguably the best song from Figure 8
Holy shit apply yourselves
Also Either/Or is his most overrated and Figure 8 is his worst

Ultraviolence getting a 7/10

if you disregard scaruffi opinions, what critics do you give credit to? serios question

yeah but on twitter or whatever he said you should always contradict yourself so it all checks out

I am my own critic.

How is Figure 8 his worst?

Because
>it's his least consistent
>the arrangements are mostly homogeneous and generic
>the lyrics are mostly toned down compared to his other stuff
>Better Be Quiet Now exists
>Bye fucking exists as if Can't Make A Sound wasn't a great closer on its own
>He used the worse version of Pretty Mary K
It's not a bad album but there's no way it tops any of his others.
If you want indie pop Elliott then XO is shorter, much more consistent and much more interesting in terms of the instrumentation and arrangements and also has some of the best lyrics in his entire discography

How is that a contradiction? He's just saying that he's not paid off by anyone like Conde Nast-fork or Rolling Stone or whatever. He's not a shill.

>cavemen literally lived in caves
rmyttbqhwyfbiaswcltggtnctuiya

the fact that he thinks 2 sentences is enough to describe and critique an hours worth of media

people here seem to think that 2 words more than suffice so I'd say that's a step up

I think it's definitely more straightforward pop and more simple instrumentally than his other albums, but that doesn't make it bad.

I think the lyrics in Figure 8 are as good as any of his other albums, and Better Be Quiet now is one of my favorite songs on the album. I'm not sure which version of Pretty Mary K I like better, but the Figure 8 version certainly fits the tone of the album better than the other one, and it's a fantastic song in its own right. And I really enjoy Bye, isn't it cool how it's the last track he officially released while he was alive?

Anyway, I think Figure 8 gets shit on for two reasons. 1. It's definitely more poppy and brighter than his other albums, but once again that isn't a bad thing, and 2. The lyrics seem less personal, which I'd argue is a good thing.

XO is also brilliant though. Ranking his albums is impossible anyway. I could talk about this guy all day.

Scarruffi has always been a fucking moron. People just talk about him on this board because he's edgy and bashes on good music if it's a little too "popular." Anyone who listens to his opinions, without forming their own first is a cuck and pleb.

back to the needledrop babby

Personally, Scaruffi has shaped my musical tastes like no one else. Here's my current favorites.

It's not that it's straightforward pop or too simple. XO is pretty straightforward pop and the arrangements are (mostly) pretty simple on that too. The simplicity is what makes it good because it means that every song is unique instead of Figure 8 where they all start to blur together after a while.

I guess it's personal preference but can you name even one song off Figure 8 you don't think stands up to the rest? I definitely can think of at least one on all of them and I think Figure 8 in particular is the worst offender just because of its length. I agree about Bye, though. I always thought that was kind of interesting.

>The lyrics seem less personal, which I'd argue is a good thing.
I actually think XO was where that started. It's obvious what he's talking about on a lot of the songs but he doesn't really directly connect it to his life. In general it seems like people assume everything Elliott sings about is somehow super personal, which I think is kinda what contributes to the outside perception of him as a whiny indie rock loser.

I haven't listened to Elliott since probably this time last year and I used to have all his stuff on repeat basically all the time. I've been picking it back up lately, though. Have you heard the FABOTH outtakes? They're just as good as anything he ever put on an album, if not better.

>Obese people have the same rights as normal people
10/10

Well if I had to pick a least favorite off of Figure 8 it would be Easy Way Out. A little boring compared to the rest. Still a great song though.

Haven't listened to the outtakes yet but I've been meaning to, heard they're awesome.