I've always had the impression that Blonde on Blonde is the album best recieved by non-Dylan fans...

I've always had the impression that Blonde on Blonde is the album best recieved by non-Dylan fans. Where does this album rank amongst people who are really into his work, is it overrated or justly revered amongst his discography?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/BwV36JL_G0s
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes, it is highly rated by Dylan fans

Visions of Johanna

It's justly rated, where rockist fans go wrong however is that they only go for the best albums when Dylan has actually made many of the best songs of all time and a lot of them were released only as bootlegs, on comps or shitty albums, etc.

Which is why it's difficult to talk about his stuff on a board like this where albums are more easily accepted

What are some of his best non-album songs?

I know Brownsville Girl is amazing from an otherwise dull album.

Delve into the Bootleg Series for starters, The Basement Tapes that just came out in 2014 is a perfect example of something that Dylan fans were having to bootleg for decades despite it being common knowledge that many of his best songs were from those sessions

Also, live things like Live at Carnegie Hall 1963 show how amazing a lot of his songs were in that period that some of his early albums don't capture (though really all his pre-1965 is rarely posted here despite having a lot of his best stuff)

Plenty of his albums that don't get posted have some fantastic songs but I would never put the albums among his Top 10 or anything (like Planet Waves, Empire Burlesque or Self Portrait)

And then there's just songs that are accepted by Dylan fans as part of the official canon but don't actually appear on any proper albums (like Tomorrow is a Long Time, it's on some comps but first was officially released on a comp in 1971 despite being recorded in 1963 and covered by Elvis Presley in 1966)

I'm really into his work and it's still my favorite. Top 5 albums for me

Dylan's very guarded and prickly to newcomers, he's one of those artists you truly need to go to the discography of to appreciate.

that being said, i like highway 61 revisited the best and find blonde on blonde obtuse to a fault. i also am not a big fan of the stream of consciousness and abstract literary lyricism he utilizes on blonde on blonde though. i get it, it's just really not my thing.

I thought that was Highway?

It was, but in modern times, Blonde on Blonde has edged it out

it's tied with blood on the tracks for his best album. those two also happen to be his best selling albums.

Gun to my head, it's weirdly not even in my top 5 Dylan albums, but that says more about how much I like those others. It's an excellent album.

youtu.be/BwV36JL_G0s

this is definitely his best non-album song

My nigga

It's up there but not as good as BOtT or Desire are (for me anyway)

I absolutely hated it at first, Wesley Harding was my fav

>at first
Has this changed? What are your thoughts now?

I love BoB now, Harding, too. I prefer his warmer and mellow sound definitely. Haven't heard much, still, I plan to change that.

Sorry user, I forgot I was posting and didn't reply

Great songs from this album
>Just Like a Woman
>Rainy Day Women
>Stuck inside a Mobile
>Sad-eyed Lady
But most other albums have much more. The more filler-y songs are more forgettable than the least popular songs on his other works

I Want You? That's one of the most beautiful love songs I've heard

Desire is my personal favorite

My buddy had a boner for everything Dylan and Blonde on Blonde was his favorite by far. I always like Dylan's folk aspect better, so Nashville Skyline was my favorite