As a screenwriter, I'm curious Sup Forums. What constitutes a bad gay/trans character? I would like some input

As a screenwriter, I'm curious Sup Forums. What constitutes a bad gay/trans character? I would like some input.

Currently writing a script for a lower budget horror film that features a gay protoganist. It's inspired by Primer's more realistic approach to time travel. However, it's more an explaination about ghosts and hauntings. It's more grounded to say the least. No jump scares, slow burn of a horror focusing a lot on atmosphere and mystery.

Anyways, I wanted to make the protoganist gay (we'll call him Chris for now). My reasoning is that basically everyone can spot a homosexual. Chris looks like a man, and is outwardly masculine, but a few of his mannerisms and speech patterns give him away. (but not in a flamboyant way) There's no love interest, no sex. Its important because I want people to real identify his character, as he'll be an entirely different person at the end. In a literal sense, a case of possession. (so all those mannerisms are replaced) It's in the subcontext, but the film will have a bad ending, guised as a happy one.

How would Sup Forums feel about such a protagonist?

Have a scene where he gapes his ass to a ghost and the ghost rims him

Fuck off to tumblr

Leave your mental illness out of it and just make the character normal (hetero)

>muh subcontext

fuck off with this

>What constitutes a bad gay/trans character?

Them existing.

I'm straight actually. What worries me is that I'll have make an extremely flamboyant character to get normal people to notice how the character really is.

And I hate the idea of a weird/wacky paranormal investigator. This one would be more reserved, and cold.

Why make a character gay if you have no idea how to write it?

People also watch horror movies for the tits and women for the hunks. Your movie will fail. Even amityville had ryan reynolds shirtless.

Listen OP, unless the movie is about being gay, people are going to get annoyed and or uncomfortable. That's just the reality of it. There are other ways to develop the character than by making him gay and the script will be better for it.

Nobody wants to watch a gay movie besides gays and people wanting to post-ironically watch fagkino like Tongues Untied

sounds like utter shit. unless he gets aids and dies, that'd be funny.

Why does his sexuality matter?
In a horror film? like what is the important plot point of him being gay?

In general gays are only bad characters if you make their entire personality revolve around liking cock in the ass

i don't particularly see the reason that you would make the character gay, unless it ties into the plot of the film thematically

you can give him distinct speech patterns/body language and have it change at the end, that would be good enough

this unironically

i actually want to see more films that are willing to develop characters as gay without making it central to their arc

Basically just write a straight character with no interest in women. If there are no love interests or sex then any explicit gay tells would likely be either missed or over the top flamboyant.

I explained it in the OP. So that even the most average people could narrow in on the guy's personality. And would see that protoganist is actually a different person in the end

>you can give him distinct speech patterns/body language and have it change at the end, that would be good enough

I think part of what makes it slightly difficult, is that the character himself is pretty reserved and silent. Kinda like the protag from "Drive".

It's a character that has witnessed a lot of depravity because of the job.

Anyways he dies 3/4 of the way through the film, is replaced (or possessed) by a different character. Something like purgatory, and a evil spirit from there finally has a chance to escape-type of thing

>There's no love interest, no sex.

Then it won't come up or matter. You will not notice a difference.

That's how you make a good gay character.

yeah but here's your problem >If there are no love interests or sex then any explicit gay tells would likely be either missed or over the top flamboyant.

>the character himself is pretty reserved and silent
have him become noticeably more charismatic and outgoing after the kill and replace, that'll achieve the same purpose.

>all my screenplay ideas devolve into a Pygmalion-esque self-insert fantasy where the protag kidnaps a pretty girl and reprograms her to be intelligent and interesting Fuck--who else is creatively bankrupt here?

>starts off gay
>gets possessed
>no longer gay

nice plot OP

I'm also considering that. I'm not dead set on making him gay, its just an option.

Though making him gay seems to be more an easy way out of making an interesting character the more I think about it.

Fuckin lol'd, damn I didn't even think about that

holy shit I'm embarrassed to post on the same site as you, this is just kind of sad. Are you 17? Also for the record most gay people are completely hetero-stealthed. Maybe you should meet some people in that community before attempting to write them?