/daily/ thread - Five Leaves Left edition

What are you waiting for in the mail, lads? I've got a bootleg reissue of some primo Nigerian disco coming soon™

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

discord.gg/8exuEmG
>come here

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

1999band.bandcamp.com/album/what-is-loved-will-never-die
youtube.com/watch?v=doC63IdYlA0
youtube.com/watch?v=d-DDbXh1MYc
youtube.com/watch?v=dMK_npDG12Q&t=0s
last.fm/user/mevnisfIItmvrdg
clyp.it/bh1m5wfk
composition.umwblogs.org/author/sshaikh/
rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/roly_poly_rag_bear/straw__water__pinstripe/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Who let it die? I don't get it

probably fish.

bastert

Fuckers in school telling me, always in the barber shop
/daily/ ain't bout this, /daily/ ain't bout that
My boy a BD on fucking Lamron and them
He, he they say that nigga don't be putting in no work
SHUT THE FUCK UP!
Y'all niggas ain't know shit

Me and you, pom

obligatory 'let it die' comment

Frank Zappa - Uncle Meat
>Experimental Rock, Avant-Prog

As a whole, I’m not too sure how to feel about this. A lot of it is exactly what I don’t like about Zappa if I’m being honest. Side A is a bunch of unrelated, mostly unfinished tracks thrown together into a mush of an experimental/electronic album. While that would sound like an awesome listen to many, it just didn’t work for me. There’s some great ideas on here though - with the skits working perfectly and little jingly tunes like “Zolar Czakl” and the jazzier cuts like “The Legend of the Golden Arches” sounding awesome. Ian Underwood really rips it up on the sax too, especially on “Louie, Louie”, which is actually pretty funny too. The pure range of musical influences Zappa touches on is astounding actually.

Sides B and C pick up a lot of the slack. I immediately recognized “Sleeping In a Jar” from Madvillainy, which felt out of nowhere. I was expecting that to be a full song though, instead of another jingle. “The Uncle Meat Variations” is a nice mesh of electronica and jazz-fusion, which I liked as well. And “Ian Greenwood Whips It Out” is one of my favorites on here, with a ridiculous sax solo. “Mr Green Genes” and “The Air” are also standouts.

At times, this album just feels too eccentric. The ideas just clash at times and awkwardly transition from one to another. It feels like Zappa is being random just for the sake of randomness’ sake and that’s one of my least favorite aspects of music when it doesn’t work. It feels like he just recorded some fun tracks, slapped them in an album and called it a day. Sure, Zappa was all about satire and liked to fuck with people but it doesn’t always lead to good music. Maybe I just don’t get it.

There’s plenty of good moments though. The other Zappa albums I’ve heard have slowly grown on me over time so maybe the same will happen here.

3/5

Ben new EP hey remember Rockadopolis

that Delfonics album is such ass. The single is ok but damn if I'm not bored to death by the rest of it.

>What are you waiting for in the mail, lads?
Three CDs I ordered. Theyre all personal favorites, will show when they arrive

hey did some(one!) else sign up for my tourney last thread cuz it doesn't look like it, hmm
any wanna? no? did user change his mind too eventually?

Was your tourney the mixtape tourney because i will join

>random just for the sake of
irreverence.
how bout that

alright we're good to go then

>he has a boner

Hmm well I only added it because I randomly found it in a slsk folder. Sounds like I should get it out of the way soon

Yeah, irreverence was the word I was looking for

so good

looks kinda small

Its alright

What are the restrictions tell me what to do

>looks kinda small
perhaps that is why he killed himself

i'd recommend giving it a theme but idc

aruba

formula

Already mentioned here (thanks senpai) but now I can talk about it myself!!!

Guys guys guys! I released a thing! It's sort of an EP and sort of a record but I'd love for it to get ripped apart by some of my favorite people in the world.

Enjoy!!

anyone else watched pottery throw down

There's a large psychology exhibition coming up in may, and one person is literally going to hold a lecture on meme theory. Yeah.

i want to

It's amazing isn't it

awesome.

sure go ahead then i can always restructure a little

PAGING GOOD FRIEND RODRIGUEZ

thank you for introducing me to this album, its one of the most creative things ive ever heard, collins is an electronic genius

Have you read the liner notes? He talks about how the songs were made and i honestly cant believe how some of this shit was recorded, the broken light trilogy was made by recording three soldier string quartet performances onto a CD, scratching the fuck out of it and then playing it back.

youtube.com/watch?v=doC63IdYlA0

Do you guys know any neoclassical that sounds like this? I immediately fell in love with this

god i love that album. you're welcome.
i've read up on most of it. the title track was done using an automatic vocal triggered electronic drum track right?

hey guys, if we don't post about a certain band on purpose, isn't it the same about posting about them?

Isn't she beautiful?

yup. i'll scan the liner notes later today.

youtube.com/watch?v=d-DDbXh1MYc
possibly one of the greatest art projects of the last 50 years right here. this shit is next level.

please do. i'd love to see the full versions.

Fucker

OH YES I SAW
WILL LISTEN SOON

Good, everyone else is 2new and doesn't give a shit

For one of the tracks don't they use the sound of hard drives whirring or am I imagining that

>Gil Scott Heron - Pieces of a Man
Not really a big fan of this style of soul. There's a couple of very good tracks but while decent the jazzy style is way too soft, there's no weight to it, Save The Children being the most obvious example of this. His voice isn't good enough to carry it either. 3/5

>The Impressions - This Is My Country
Fuck me Mayfield is good. A bit more poppy and dancey than his solo work, more on love than social commentary but still brilliant. This may as well be a solo record, the rest of The Impressions barely get a moment in the spotlight but their harmonies are lovely. And I don't know who did the horn arrangements but they did an amazing job, just listen to the title track. 4/5

>Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F# A# (Infinity)
I feel the crescendo core meme doesn't fully apply to F# A# (well maybe a bit to Providence). There's more of a focus on drone and atmosphere than any kind of dynamics and the atmosphere is so oppressive yet beautiful, especially on The Dead Flag Blues, from the bleak spoken word intro to the almost upbeat ending. Similar story with East Hastings but Providence is a flaccid ending to the album, good but not on the same level. 4/5

just fuck my curve up

oh lord, the new lorde song is out!
youtube.com/watch?v=dMK_npDG12Q&t=0s

nothing special, really, just glad she's finally back.

you should check out the gy!be EP, I forgot its name
Warraw next, please?

the soldier string quartet sounds so much cleaner on CD

this looks cool, will check out hopefully soon

I gave it a couple listens, particularly like All Eyes Adjust and Into The Sun, I kinda wish the songs were longer though. Good job anyway!

Will do both

gave it a full listen, your ajj impression has gotten really good.
it really makes me excited to hear shit like this in longer formats, this album's gonna be so nice.

The record is supposed to make you sort of forget what the normal length of a song is and adjust your sensitivity accordingly--i.e. you pay more attention to subtle things, and the one normal song in the middle feels huge.

thanks lol
There's definitely a mountain goats/AJJ vibe that's very present in this record. It's not meant to be mindblowing, it's meant to be tight and good and interesting. When I release the big project that y'all are aware of which I've been putting work into for the past year or so, there will be a whole lot more intensity. These songs are supposed to be subtle, and exist in a way so that even if it's kind of meaningless now, once there's more to compare to it'll retroactively become, like, a very good valuable interesting record.

>Side A is a bunch of unrelated, mostly unfinished tracks
would disagree about this. There's melodic themeing throughout side A, and throughout the entire album. It's subtle, but I think the tracks are are related in really satisfying ways. This is probably one aspect most people, and I would argue you, don't "get" about Uncle Meat but I doubt not knowing this hinders enjoyment in any aspect.

>While that would sound like an awesome listen to many, it just didn’t work for me.
>At times, this album just feels too eccentric.fair enough! Would rec continuing listening to Zappa since you enjoyed Freak Out Hot Rats so much. Specifically Absolutely Free if you want something more like Freak Out with more visible theming and his Hot Rats-likes (Waka/Jawaka and Sleep Dirt). Very few of his other albums are anything like Uncle Meat (WOIIFTM, Lumpy Gravy, and 200 Motels I would imagine you wouldn't get much from).

Interested to hear Dark and Stormy Night opinions.

cool and dope *okay emoji* will give a listen. How u been Rockydude?

awh noice

Is shipping to PR very expensive? Do you guys use USPS or is it a different system?

>crescendo core meme
Never saw why this was a bad thing though? Why is it bad to have a formula for your music if it creates a good result?

Also, Providence is an extra CD-only track. I would recommend just rating the album by the first two tracks as it is on the original release.

Would also rec listening to the
Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada E.P. like said. Just be warned it is much more crescendo-oriented if you're for some reason opposed to that.

when I post before checking the formatting I end up looking like a retard. Oh well. It's not like I'm not already seen as so.

>Is shipping to PR very expensive? Do you guys use USPS or is it a different system?
It used to be, but in recent years, if it's from the United States we pay the same rates as if it were any other place from the USA, god bless USPS.

Otherwise, if it's from some other country get ready to pay $10-15 depending on the seller

my name is ian underwood and im the straight member of the group

oh right, that's a neat idea

Nah I'm not against the crescendos at all, just thought it was worth mentioning since a lot of people seem to write them off because of that but there was a lot more going on in this record. And really? Wizard told me to make sure I listen to the CD version.

don't take this the wrong way, but the siren on a few tracks was my favorite part of the ep. really added a layer of depth only home recording could bring.

I mean Providence is an essential Godspeed track but it's not as good as any other tracks on that album and it's not from the original issue, which is at least how I rate all my music. Providence is from the CD version released a year later.

>Otherwise, if it's from some other country get ready to pay $10-15 depending on the seller
Yeah it's the same as the mainland. With the money I spent on shipping the Rock Festival to the US I could've bought several records lmao.

Also why were there anons commending my bill evans post last thread? Like, I swear that wasn't me. It wasn't even that good a post

it has its moments

its very purposeful at least

oh boy, fish is the triggered this time

Yeah don't get me wrong Providence is good but I did feel it was a little out of place, makes sense that it's a bonus track.

Yeah, I definitely want to keep digging into Zappa. It took me a few listens for Freak Out to click with me so I'm thinking it might be the same story with Uncle Meat. I'll try out Absolutely Free before I revisit it again though.

I'll check out Dark & Stormy Night soon, I've heard a lot of buzz surrounding it recently.

Lol, I thought I'd get more aggressive of a response but we'll see how the other fish-core albums go.

>It wasn't even that good a post
that bill evans post was your best post

>Triggered over Uncle Meat
reminds me of pic related :^)

it was best bost

is that your real thoughts or one of those trolls you do sometimes

either way that is pretty spot on

I thought for a second that you just had screenshots saved of your own posts, but actually went and searched for it

>reminds me of pic related
I wasn't though it was a completely reasonable review

I was partially triggered because jazzlords like you don't have opinions that stray too far from that.

I do, I just update the screenshot name to the current date so it looks like I just took it.

It's fish bait

can you link your rym?

>Gato Barbieri - The Third World
Tonally same-y jazz stuff by the always interesting, but never exceptional Gato Barbieri. See, Gato always feels two steps behind the real innovators and powerhouses of every style he steps in to. This work isn't an exception to that general trend.

In the same year, Pharoah Sanders released "Karma". The Third World doesn't rival Karma. It doesn't freak as far out, it doesn't shriek as loudly or rise as high. It lacks variety in instrumentation, and changes only slightly in mood.

Gato's playing is good, though. It carries a lot of this stuff. Mostly, though, this album settles nicely into the bargain jazz section at a local record store with Count Basie and Chuck Mangione. If you picked this album out from the bunch, you wouldn't be disappointed. But, at the same time, it's nothing outlandish or too impressive.

6/10. Good.

no i just have last
last.fm/user/mevnisfIItmvrdg
it'd be more interesting to make it about your taste rather than mine or a theme or something but if you wanna check what i've not heard yet i guess

BTFlip0

I don't want to hype it up too much, but Golden Rain is simply amazing. You ought to be deaf to hate that record

That color usage is so ugly it makes me wanna die.

If anything, I wish the Latin themes present on the first track were used as heavily on every other track. Would give it more of a unique stand out flair that I think would elevate the score for many.

>Destroyer - Kaputt

Enjoyable. There were a lot of nice lush moments, and Dan Bejar's voice didn't annoy me most of the time like it does a lot.

3.5/5

>Would give it more of a unique stand out flair that I think would elevate the score for many.
Totally agree. Album feels generic in its later sections.

this is really nice so far but everything is so amateur and forgettable that it kinda kills it

>I wish the Latin themes present on the first track were used as heavily on every other track.
the first track on that album is the best why did he have to be not as good on the rest of the album

All right, I've gotta share this. I have a psycho roommate that unironically makes the worst music I've ever heard. It's been going on for an hour and this is a few rooms over, mind you. Any avant teens out there?

clyp.it/bh1m5wfk

screamo more like memeo

holy shit :0

>0:16
i definitely recognize that song but i can't name it

:0

Lmao do you know my roommate? Grown ass man bragging about playing Warped Tour once back in the day

ask him what band he played in

here you go, boys

amazing

true keno
thanks friendo

bless

Lmaooo my roommate plays the S H I T T I E S T midwest emo/scremo ever. I think it's kinda ironic I hate it as much as I do, considering I'm actually from the Midwest and he's from Portland.

Wealth in Water

my dumb ass forgot to scan the most important part of the liner notes, but i took a good enough picture of it on my phone

Whopps

never heard of that
well they've got a bandcamp at least

let me guess he's the tubby POC

daily irl meetup pic?

>gorgeous high definition Dark and Stormy Night album art
this is fascinating

thank you yamir

Not sure, all these fucks look the same to me

O WAIT NO that's u

np

maybe someday i'll take a proper scan of if im not too lazy and people still care and put them all in one image

racist.

damn this is hilarious

in a similar vein, I'll share the musical ravings of this guy I hate.
a few points of interest:
He is EXTREMELY sexist, like movie villain levels of sexism
super huge narcissist
thinks everyone is his friend when in actuality everyone hates him
thinks he is the greatest musician in the world
forces some of my friends to play with him in music projects
performs shirtless and puts rolls of quarters in his jeans to make his dick look bigger
he is tone deaf
he has zero sense of rhythm
he is a music major

without further ado composition.umwblogs.org/author/sshaikh/

>thinks everyone is his friend when in actuality everyone hates him

i relate to this on a spiritual level.
fuck off ryan. you're a pervert and repeating your jokes doesn't make them funny.

that music legit sounds like the residents.

this sounds like someone singing over a royalty free acoustic cover of a primus song

Well fuck, I guess the liner notes do a better job of reviewing/describing this. Here’s my take though, since I've already written some stuff down.

Nicolas Collins - It Was a Dark and Stormy Night
>Modern Classical, Glitch

The album opens with some cool little instrumentals. They blend classical sounding instrumentation with glitchy electronics. It’s not a style I’m super accustomed to but it was an intriguing mix. The first three tracks are actually part of a trilogy, known as “Broken Light”. They’re fun little pieces that kind of run into each other and have a decent amount of similarities. The fourth track is “Tobabo Fonio”, which is a little power electronics sounding cut, with weird crunchy electronica and such.

Most of the album is actually taken up by the title track though. It’s about 25 minutes and starts off pretty simply. As a spoken word, Collins talks about a group of friends huddled around a campfire “on a dark and stormy night”. One of the others asks “tell us a story” and they proceed to tell some fun little tale perfect for a camping trip. This process repeats over and over and over again, as the stories gradually get more obscure and obtuse. It kind of shifts into weird discussions about art, philosophy and even a dystopian future. Kind of reminds me of something off The Ziggurat or something with weird vocals and just bizarre subject matters. By the end of the song, it starts devolving into something tribal, with chaotic instrumentation, pounding drums and nonsensical lyrics.

Certainly one of the more interesting, unique albums I’ve listened to. Not sure how often I’ll come back to it but great album nonetheless.

3.5/5

i thought you avant teens liked that type of stuff wtf

>cumblogs

>that music legit sounds like the residents.
going through more of the songs on the site, this really does sound like the residents

tell us another!

also oh no is a dark and stormy night becoming popular on daily

hidden musical genius
maybe I just don't get it, too far ahead of his time

hecc yeh

>dark and stormy night
>"Becoming" popular
33 of my friends have rated it, 29 of them before you

rateyourmusic.com/release/ep/roly_poly_rag_bear/straw__water__pinstripe/

Although I'm not usually a huge fan of party jungle music, this was actually pretty fun. At first I wasn't too into it, but it started to grow on me. I LOVED the heavy bass in this, probably what made this record for me at least.

3.5/5

FUCK that was for

>DJ Jeffee - Jungle Spliff