It was better than the original in every way except for the Willy Wonka actor

It was better than the original in every way except for the Willy Wonka actor

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=r2pt2-F2j2g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Unfortunately this is one of the only non-GOT threads on Sup Forums right now, so I have to post here.

Holy fucking shit are you wrong.

This guy knows what's up. OP might be b8ing though

youtube.com/watch?v=r2pt2-F2j2g

>tfw only good thread now is just a rehash

>It was better than the original in every way
Pros:
--gave other grandparents actual talking roles worth a shit
--excellent visuals but era gives unfair advantage
--songs actually Dahl's and not Anthony Newley's
--Deep Roy hardest working man on set
--cheating subplot retained
--opening sequence with burning dolls a good substitute for Gene Wilder's scripted cane walk gag
--child actors no worse than original's (more of them continuing to find work past childhood)

Cons:
--despite Winter insisting he hadn't seen original movie, every kid's nationality matches the original's even where they contradict the book (Veruca's an American, Gloop is a Russian word and Augustus isn't a German name)
--not casting Jim Broadbent who looks exactly like Quentin Blake's illustrations and has the ability to balance whimsy with gravitas
--Burton making Wonka a manchild instead of an eccentric adult
--original has direct, warm emotional connection to childlike wonder and possibility with a dash of horror; remake is fearful with a dash of heart and even Charlie's a short adult

I honestly like them both but Burton's remake is more of a Universal Studios ride than something I'd treasure.

>every kid's nationality matches the original's even where they contradict the book

How is that a con?

>not wanting the world
>not wanting the whole world

You're right, that's a nitpick rather than a pro or con, I just found it irritating that the screenwriter went on record lying about not being influenced by the original adaptation.

I think my general assessment of the two movies is that David L. Wolper's adaptation was unambiguously a kid's movie with no interest whatsoever in trying to be hip for adults, to the point that while the audience loved it Dahl himself wasn't happy.

There are directors who excel at balancing lightheartedness with a touch of darkness, and Burton's not one of them because he sees the two as a yin/yang where darkness has always been more interesting to him. We'll never know what Dahl would have made of the remake, some authors are notoriously dissatisfied with any adaptation of their work.

It's worth noting that the kid who played original Veruca is the only one who retained an acting career afterward. She was good and everyone knew it.

Yeah pretty much. It's definitely better than the original.

Her scenes are the most memorable. Not to mention that she nailed the singing.

When Gene Wilder breathes his last, he will be remembered for a lot of films he was in but he was irreplaceable in these three:

--Willy Wonka
--Young Frankenstein
--Blazing Saddles

And he had strong, strong creative influence on the first two: he only took the Wonka role on the grounds he could write his introductory scene with him leaning on the cane and walking with a limp, then doing a circus roll. The producers said "why does Wonka have to do this?" and Wilder replied "So the audience won't know when I'm lying." Young Frankenstein had similar battles between co-writers Wilder and Mel Brooks, who respected Wilder's instincts.

In contrast Johnny Depp's only known contribution to a role was choosing to impersonate Keith Richards for Jack Sparrow, and it's pantomime at best.

The kids who played Charlie went on to be young Norman Bates in Bates Motel. Had no idea any of the other kids did anything.

>Had no idea any of the other kids did anything

Jordan "Mike Teavee" Fry went on to voice Lewis in Meet the Robinsons and has had a few roles since then, Philip "Augustus Gloop" Wiegratz went back to Germany where he's been working in TV/film since, Julia "Veruca Salt" Winter (no relation to the screenwriter) hasn't done much of anything, but I think you're forgetting someoneā€¦

Reminds of my beard in 8th grade

I wish John Waters or similar would cast her in a movie where her facial hair's part of the story.

>Keith Richards for Jack Sparrow, and it's pantomime at best.
holy crap come to think of it the entirety of Pirates of the Caribbean has a pantomime feeling to it.

She's super cute, and tiny too. like 5'1"

No this movie sucked, it came at a dark era for cinema

Everything in the world started going downhill in 2004 and became super duper gay

It was relatively more faithful to the book (had more scenes, didn't add in songs, used the original lyrics for the ones that remained, etc), and yet it failed because the tone and mood was not fitting. That's where the original movie succeeded despite taking a shitload of liberties with the plot.

And that whole thing with "you won, you get the factory!" "awesome, can my family come with me?" "fuck no" then stretch the movie another 20 minutes, was complete rubbish.

Burton's insistence on making the story about (his own) dysfunctional family relations was something the studio should have put their foot down on.

I've occasionally wondered whether a supercut of the two movies would be anything other than a world of pure autism.

The infusion of Michael Jackson and daddy issues into Willy Wonka kind of makes me want to kill myself.