I feel like most people don't like ITAOTS, but it is posted as the most important Sup Forums core essential...

I feel like most people don't like ITAOTS, but it is posted as the most important Sup Forums core essential. Why is this so? Do you like it?

I like it

I like it, however making it the most important essential is too far. It is a really good emotional trip.

>most people don't like ITAOTS
that's where you're wrong

Because it's what the board is known for (which is a joke as it was massively acclaimed before the turn of the century and was part of the reason Jeff left).

And yes, if you GET the album, it's the greatest music ever made. But even if you don't you still probably consider it an 8/10.

I outgrew it but the whimsical lyrics, interesting strong topics, and powerful yet simple melodies do set it apart.
Also the cover art is very memeish i guess

Am I the only one that sees all of the hate for ITAOTS?

It lends itself to meming more than just about any other album, what with the potato lady cover, the jesus and semen lyrics, the Anne Frank husbandry, etc. And it's an extremely accessible entry into indie music. It doesn't have much replay value though, so most people who have been here for a while aren't in love with it and just meme it for fun.

There are probably like 3 people which are really insecure and post how they don't like it.
If you look through chart threads, it appears WAY more than any other album. Like not even close.

So you are saying a very small amount of people take the album seriously

That's not true. He's one of the 8/10 posters who thinks he gets it but doesn't.

I don't think it's an 8/10 though. It's a 10/10 greatest thing ever for like two months and then the magic wears off and it's a 4 to a weak 6 depending on mood, presumably forever.
But I'm listening to Quiet Riot right now so probably don't take my opinion too seriously.

its essential listening, people not liking it on mu is a meme, or I hope it is

Can someone explain why I see people say "It's not for everyone" literally EVERY SINGLE TIME it's talked about, yet I haven't actually heard someone say they genuinely don't like it?

Is it just faux-niche?

I don't care for it. one of my internet friends actually blocked and removed me after we'd been friends for ~2 years or so and talked at least once a week because I said I didn't care for it... not even outright hated it. he immediately became excessively defensive beyond anything I'd seen from him previously and then poof. that was both sad and hilarious

No not really. I don't like it. Its whiny depressed lyrics that I could never connect with. Mostly because I'm not socially inapt and don't need music for my "feels" or music to kill myself to. It is only popular because it attempts to legitimize most of the Sup Forums demographic of depressed young males.

I find it to be boring and uninspired.

It would be INSANELY mediocre if it wasn't for the european/bulgarian trad influence on the thing.

I genuinely don't understand how you could claim to like this thing if you don't like the fool, untitled, or king of carrot flowers/oh comely. what the fuck did you even like about it if you didnt? That's like drinking water for the taste

People connect with it partly due to the lyrics the emotionally urgency in mangums voice and the child like melodies plus its usally one of the first indie artist people get into

>emotionally urgency in mangums voice
>child like melodies

lmao lurk more wtf does this even mean retard

That's a good description though. Have you even listened to it?

okay, emotional voice, I get

"child like melodies" though
lmao thats what someone that knows nothing about music making would think makes him sound knowledgeable

I don't know I think you just don't get the album
move on

Melodies that have s nursery rhyme quality emphasizing a simple major tonality.

The sense of urgency in Mangum's vocals is conveyed in his earnest caterwauling. His strained screeching makes it sound like the lyrics are very important to him and that they are communicating something he needs to express. There is a strong emotional connection to his words expressed in his delivery.

Obviously

Also
>lmao
Stop

ITAOTS is great but i like pic related more and it hits me harder.

i can tell youve never even picked up an instrument before

youre literally the average rym user which is why the community is so embarrassing and horrible

That's literally what a 21 pilots fan says in defense of their shitty music too

try again, I guess.

How is user wrong though?

Also
>the production
>the instrumentation
>the surreal lyrics
>the performance

>accurate, specific explanation
>totally ignore it and insult the poster
no user, you're the reason why the community is so embarrassing and horrible.

people don't like this album? Its seen as Sup Forums-core because its so universally loved

are you retarded?

Yes thats why people either love it and hail it as a masterpiece or aboslutely despise it and write it off as hipster garbage but its still talked about years later

The reason people don't like 21p is because its bland pop for teenage girls

I think you answered your own question
Everyone likes thinking the stuff they like is "not for everyone"

>I literally learned music theory in uni and nothing he said actually means anything worthwhile
Not him but the motive urgency in his voice is meaningful and worthwhile, and what people enjoy about the album.

I guess his explanation makes sense if you don't know music theory, know nothing about music, or have never picked up an instrument tried to sing anything. It's literally a bunch of random shit strung together in an obvious attempt to look smart. It's embarrassing, the best equivalent I can think of is being that annoying kid that asks the prof questions where he hamfists as many big sounding words as he can to look smart but nothing he says actually means shit.

>I guess his explanation makes sense if you don't know music theory
What does this have to do with anything? What good is theory using to describe why people like this album or what is good about it?

If you don't know musical theory, don't try to explain anything in terms you don't know the meaning like "simple major tonality", it's beyond emberassing, it's basically on par with thesaurus talk

Just use normal words and you will actually make sense and not look utterly retarded

>"simple major tonality",
Alright, fair enough, I didn't see him say that.

Otherwise your post reads like "if you don't know music theory, you shouldn't discuss music!"

Is there a reason you ignored the rest of his post?

Why should I take the rest of a post seriously when it starts off with "simple major tonality"

>The sense of urgency in Mangum's vocals is conveyed in his earnest caterwauling

Jesus christ...

>>The sense of urgency in Mangum's vocals is conveyed in his earnest caterwauling
How is this wrong? He is discussing the specific tone and timbre, which communicates. Isn't that the point of music?

Damn man if music theory prevents you from appreciating this album fuck music theory

When did I say I don't like the album?

Do you like the album?

yeah, its not really my style of music. But i still really like it

I don't actively dislike it but I don't like it either.

It starts out good but it never manages to hold my attention for the whole length of the album. Within a few songs I begin wondering how long it'll be until it's over - not in the sense that I don't want it to end, but that I'd rather listen to something else.

it's a good album

Sounds like a problem with you, not the album.

also user, i'm sure you're frontin but music theory shouldn't prevent you from appreciating jack shit. music theory is just a toolkit, it doesn't tell you what is "musically appropriate" or what makes something good. anyone who says that is dumb

I could've gone into specifics about the music and lyrics for why it doesn't click with me.

Based on your response, though, I can tell it'd just be a waste of effort.

ITAOTS IS THE KINOESQUE OAT

Only contrarian and pleb will say otherwise.
(which is 100% of Sup Forums population.)

>And yes, if you GET the album, it's the greatest music ever made. But even if you don't you still probably consider it an 8/10.
this

I really didn't like it the first time I listened to it

I'm imagine a lot of people would feel the same, thus 'it's not for everyone'

I do think it's a very good album after repeat listens though

Its really good. But I think Sup Forums is starting to like Loveless and ITCOTCK more.

>it appears WAY more than any other album. Like not even close.

Do you even browse /chart/?

I want you to look through every chart in this thread and count the times you see ITAOTS.

Compare that to
>the glow
>spiderland
>loveless
>even talk talk and midori get posted more then this

Good.

Not that I dislike ItAOtS, but ItCotCK is just the ultimate patrician album.

I love it, and it's definitely one of my favourite albums

This thread proves that this board needs to be nuked.

Love the album, you're buying the meme that we hate it

I like it, although it's losing its status on Sup Forums with time, just like everything else does/will. Things change.

violent femmes > ITAOTS

prove me wrong

first 2 songs are good

I like Quiet Riot

Pretty bland instrumentals, nice lyrics, interesting concept, some may find the vocals honest and sincetr, others annoying and poor

I can't relate to it, it's good for what it is though

sic transit gloria mundi

When I first heard the title song I could only describe it as what God would ~s o u n d~ like

It fucking sucks

I listened to it for the first time three months ago and I agree completely, but 4-6 may be a little harsh

I thought it was fucking boring lol

>why it doesn't click with me.
Not relevant.

Discuss the music, not yourself.

Who said they don't like it?
Tbh most people that talk shit on that album on here are just shit posting. Don't take them too seriously op.

I love it. Makes me feel so emotional. The lyrics are wonderful and I love the lo-fi production. It makes me so sad to see this album has turned into a meme.

>Who said they don't like it?
Several anonymous posters on Sup Forums's Sup Forums board.

I like the album but it defiantly is no where near close to perfect.
>ie o comley

Also i personally don't think it has good replay value, there isn't anything that keeps you coming back and back again. title track and carrot flowers are excellent but overall there are just better albums out there. I do understand why people adore it though

>whimsical lyrics

xd

me2lezbefrends

I agree with you and fucking hate this response. Fuck you user!

as a depressed guy i cant relate to happy music so its shit

I listened to this album before, I have to admit I didnt try getting into it that time, but just now I downloaded it saying to myself it must be good if the assholes on Sup Forums like it and Holy shit guys, I'm not kidding In The Aeroplane over the Sea (the Single) made me feel as suicidal as never before, I didnt feel something like this before, it frightend me, I could tell it's not like the usual sadness. Am I the only one to feel like that? Im not even an lmao so emotional guy, just a regular fitizen. Can anyone give a second opinion on this?

>lmao
>wtf
>retard
Welcome to the Somalian dynamite collecting forum, newfag.

i just listened to it. it was only ok