So, I'm looking to enlist with the Air Force after a fairly rough life...

So, I'm looking to enlist with the Air Force after a fairly rough life. I'm very serious about turning my life around and doing something I can be proud of, and I'm certain that this is the right move for me. However, I just got off the phone with a recruiter, who gave me a quick character questionnaire to determine my eligibility.

I was doing okay until she asked how often I've used marijuana, where I had to admit I was a frequent user in the past. I haven't in a long time and feel confident that I've put it in my rearview, but wanted to be as honest as possible. She has to tell me that the drug use is disqualifying, and that I'm unlikely to get a waiver.

I really hope that this doesn't reflect too much worse on my character, but will that phone interview be logged and my information entered into the system? We talked over her personal cell phone, so I'm not sure on either of those questions. I don't have an issue with denying my use of weed, as I don't see it ever being an issue, but I don't want to be caught in a lie, especially one that would be as egregious as lying to a military recruiter.

What's my best course of action here? Should I just move on, or try with a different recruiter?

Other urls found in this thread:

discordapp.com/invite/tGvn4hb
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tell them exactly what you said here. You wanna turn your life around and you're ready to do what it takes to do it.

Trust me, the AF doesn't turn people away unless they're fucking unstable.

as long as it was in the past, just pass piss test at meps and you're good to go.

if you want a clearance...always be honest from the start and see what happens. as long as it's not current use and was only recreational you should be fine.

i dont know how many times you said you smoked, but next time you talk to them tell em it was only a had full of times..like three. (currently in the airforce)

I told them more than twenty-five.

So, the phone interview doesn't count and isn't logged?

discordapp.com/invite/tGvn4hb

Come into our discord myself and lots of others are military if u want advice. I was prior af.

im going to bump this real quick so i can write a longer reply

Im on now if u wanna talk

I know in Canada and not AF that people who serve often smoke marijuana. Recently, a friend was just enlisted and reported they had frequent use of marijuana.

Negative.

keep pursuing it, i got denied by the army and got into the airforce for g.e.d reasons. keep at it and continually downplay the smoking. like keep telling them you smoked less times each time they ask like really downplay it

long as it's less then 7 times you are clear call a different recruiter say you've never smoked once call it a day. long as you don't pop on the drunk test no one will think twice about you. if you happen tpo get ts clearance and they need to talk to your friends. well your prob fucked

let me break it down for you

>want to join the air force

the air force recruits out of suburban areas, nice neighborhoods and people who are well off. So the airforce is waaaaay more choosy than the other branches. Everyone wants to join the AF because they dont go to war and their lives are usually viewed as easier and more lax. so like i said, they can pick and choose. Your recruiter is NOT trying to meet a quota because she probably gets approached constantly by guys like you (no offense)

>you smoked weed before
it literally does NOT matter as long as it is not in your system and as long as you never tell anyone. My recruiter asked me if i ever smoked weed i said yes. My recruiter told me to come back in 2 weeks when im clean and he'll drug test me. After i passed my drug test he looked at me and he said okay dude you officially have never smoked weed in your life. you will only get asked at boot camp and thats it. You wont get asked ever again in your career and you'll even be able to laugh about it with your buddies and other servicemembers at times. I joke about how i used to smoke weed alot and i have never even been questioned about it so its fine now. You actually do NOT want to be honest when joining the military. They will tell you that you have to tell the truth about things but they will NEVER hook you up to a polygraph or interrorgate you. you will have a moment of truth moment at bootcamp which is your last chance to admit some shit but you just keep your mouth shut and watch the other assholes get fucked and sent home and laugh to yourself.

>was my information logged

fuck no it wasnt, the military is so broke they dont have the resources to log every fucker that calls into their offices. All you need to do is find another recruiter in the next town over and give him a new story easy as pie. when i was getting recruited i met with one in my hometown but she was pregnant and she was fucking timid
To be continued*

That's a load off my mind. I just don't want to get caught in a lie, you know? I was under the assumption that they would take something like that very seriously.

SO

i went to the next town over and met with a dude who was cool as hell. I walked in his office and said "im going to join no matter what, i just want you to be 100% honest with me about everything"

i want to know the good and the bad of being in the military but you can count me in as joining. so he was honest and he was cool as fuck and man i wish we still talked but i lost contact with him.

my experience is that ive been in the Navy for 5 years and my life has been so fucking amazing since the day i joined. i actually just got a promotion a few days ago E5 FUCK YEAH. I am a Hospital Corpsman, i was on a ship for 3 years and that was fucking tits and now i live in europe. i have a huge house all to myself, i have seen the world and i make OK money. At first military life is shitty while you adjust but after you figure it out man its fucking great. I want to get out so i can smoke weed but i have smoked many times since i joined up, you just have to do it when you have like 2 weeks off. Did you know military members get 30 days of vacation a year? man i sound like a recruiter right now but i love my life and my job. i have no regrets about anything. And i hate to say this but man i think you should join the Navy, it is such a versatile force, we are the most laid back, we have so many fucking different jobs you can literally choose what you want to do as long as you study for your ASVAB. and the Navy actually NEEDS people so you wont get dicked around by a faggot air force recruiter. ask me any questions ill lurk your thread for a bit.

what job do you want in the air force?

.navy does have it better when it comes to some careers, not everybody lives on a ship

I really want to do something in computer science, but I don't know which career that would be off their site. Aside from that, I would probably go with paralegal or HR, since I'm a college grad.

Try to get 1B4 or 1N4A
1B4 is cyber warfare
1N4A is cyber intel
it is possible to get stuck with 1N4B though which is fusion intel.

THEY WOULD ONLY IF YOU VOLUNTEER INFORMATION

heres an example:

recruiting process:
>recruiter: have you ever smoked weed?
>you: no
>recruiter: okay well you can be honest with me i mean, im cool and it doesnt disqualify you i just have to make a phone call and do some paperwork (kind of true but totally unnecessary)
>you: no i havent smoked weed man im not into that
you got MEPS
>meps interviewer: have you ever smoked weed?
>you: no i havent
>meps interviewer: you know if you lie you can get in big trouble right?(this is a lie they will just DQ you and you go home but this time its logged cuz your at meps)
>you: nope i have never smoked pot in my life

you get processed and a ship date to boot camp

>drill seargent or whatever the AF calls them: HAS ANYONE HERE EVER SMOKED MARIJAUANA ITS OKAY YOU CAN TELL US.WE WONT SEND YOU HOME WE JUST WANT YOU TO BE HONEST WE WANT TO HELP YOU YOULL BE FINE. (FUCKING LIES)
>you keep your fucking mouth shut here because youve never smoked pot before
>some other asshole: raises his hand stands up and is never seen again

this is the whole "weed smoking crime comitting conversation" process. youll graduate your bootcamp and move on with your life. those are the only times youll get asked.

one thing youll have to be honest to everyone about is any crimes you have been convicted for or any type of criminall shit involving you thats been processed in court.

Or you get stuck without a job on a ship and just be a chiefs bitch for your first enlistment.

OP. Just admit to smoking weed a lot in the past but you want to change. Say you havent in a while. You will be good. Its easier to tell the truth then to have to talk to a commander about getting an FE waiver.

if you want to do career military, don't enlist. get a commission. or enlist and keep in the back of your mind that you're gonna pursue OTS

once you get to E-7/8 (age ~33) you might as well get the higher paycheck since you're just living in meetings taking orders from 26 year olds making more than you.

i know it's not about the money to some people, but enlisted pay falls off at higher ranks in terms of responsibility vs reward.

there are downsides to being an officer, but it's something to strongly consider.

if you're dead set on enlisted, 1B4 is cyber security, so not exactly computer science but it is kind of in that ballpark...would require a clearance though so get your weed shit straight

Are you in the air force?

holy shit if you are a college grad you NEED TO GET COMMISSIONED AS AN OFFICER DO NOT ENLIST.

what degree do you have? The navy is all about fucking computers and shit. We have IT's and ET's CT's. all of these guys deal wit secret cool computer shit that i know nothing about because im a medical person. All i know is they get fucking great jobs after they get out and im stuck with shit because my job doesnt given me any civilian certs even though im pretty much a fucking RN. Whatever man, im working towards my civvie certs now so its all good.

yeah, i'm a linguist. but i wouldn't recommend air force for that...go navy or army.

I'm definitely aiming for being an officer. The other thing that the recruiter impressed on me, though, and she said this after she told me that the weed use was disqualifying so whatever, is that getting into the officer program is a hell of a thing.

1N4A here.
when did you go through goodfellow?

I'll definitely keep that in the back of my head, man. Really appreciated.

I have an English degree, and was going to teach high school, but I have a big mouth that got me tosssd out of the student teaching program. So, now I have a ton of debt and zero career prospects.

june of 2010.

yeah it's definitely more competitive, and also some recruiters can be a pain about commissioning. call around and deal with a shitty drive to a recruiting office if you have to find one that's willing to work with you.

Do not listen to these assholes telling you to admit that you smoked pot before. it actually is easier to lie and say you never did it. and if you do go for a clearance, they will interview people you know, but only people that you LIST on your security clearance form. You just tell your mom brother and 2 close friends "hey if you ever get asked by anyone from the airforce about me, just tell them im a stand up dude"

its that fucking easy man. you need to start manning up and realizing that you own your life. you dont need to fucking admit shit and dont be a scared faggot. fuck the military. Remember THEY ALWAYS NEED YOU. YOU DO NOT NEED THEM

And then your parents say you hung out with XXX this one time and they go find him, and then XXX talks about YYY and ZZZ...

The agents have to write down EVERYTHING they are told.

he's right for military clearance, but when you want to get a civilian job and go through a full poly you will get caught in your lie.

Bump

highly unlikely (damn near impossible) for a veteran with and active clearance to get polygraphed. Why waste the resources companies look at shit like that. the only place that would polygraph is the fucking CIA or NSA or some shit and even then they probably wont ask about weed use.

A clearance wont get denied for pot use even if it came up. and everyone will be so fucking spooked theyll just say that user actually was a stand up fucking dude. also youre bullshitting right now. that really will NOT fucking happen. they wont follow some vague fucking trail. they would need specific information. addresses, phone numbers, where people work.

active clearance eventually needs to be renewed, then you will have to get a full-scope poly.

that said, if you're just getting a secret, my boy got one admitting to all kinds of drug use. going for top secret is where it could be problematic.

the standard might be different for technical/engineering clearances versus intelligence clearances. but they will absolutely ask about alcohol and drug use

Don't join. Dont be stupid. Use your life doing what you want instead being a ddog trained to take orders. The ethics of the u.s. Govt are at an all time low. Why be a cog in that?

Cant disagree with that user.

The thing is, that at that stage, admitted weed use may not result in punitive action.

why not be the good part of something you want to see changed? thats why i joined.

people these days are so passive about shit. people think that standing by and criticizing something will change it. Also, ethics of the government are no different than that of large multinational corporations. i feel like youre talking out of your ass.