Van Halen vs Van Hagar

>inb4 van halen sucks who cares
ok thank you

i'm not a huge fan of van halen/hagar myself but i have always wondered who most thought were better. Personally i like David lee roth better i think he just has a better voice and much better stage presents

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=EwzXop5kLxE
youtube.com/watch?v=YtXq-v9XoMc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

you'll find maybe 3 people on this board who even like roth-era van halen, let alone hagar

>cheesy hair metal pop vs literally who

DLR by a mile

i understand that but there is no denying at their prime van halen were a major force in music at one time one of the top 3 biggest rock bands in the world

EVH changed rock guitar in the same way Hendrix did.

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge is the only good Sammy Hagar VH album. Van Halen I through 1984 were all almost perfect albums. That last album with Dave from a few years ago was awful.

Let me tell you something.

I'm die hard Van Halen all the way. I hate Van Hagar on principle. And I LOVE some Van Hagar era songs. They had some great tunes and more financial success after Dave left.

Diamond Dave was the blood that pumped through VH. I was good in the studio, terrible live. But his onstage persona made up for the lack of in-key singing on Dave's part. He is still the basis for every wanna-be's rockstar persona. He was over-the-top, he was flamboyant, and he was soaked in 15 year old pussy 24/7.

Sammy Hagar is a great musician, and in all honesty, he's a WAY better vocalist than Dave in terms of consistency. But he didn't have "the" voice like Lee Roth did.

Best Van Halen song:
Ain't Talkin' Bout Love
Best Van Hagar song:
Why Can't This Be Love?

Diver Down is fucking awful
The rest range from good to great.

DLR, no decision

Diver Down was probably the weakest of that bunch, but I feel it's because of really high highs and low lows. The good songs on that album (Where Have All The Good Times Gone?, Hang 'Em High, The Full Bug, Little Guitars) are REALLY good. The rest of the songs were really lame.

who do you think had a better solo?

Hagar by a longshot.

>unchained
>mean street
Ok bud :)

Ah fuck I always mix up diver down and fair warning

That's Fair Warning bruh

That's probably my favorite VH album. Push Comes to Shove is such a great song.

I just re-listened to why can't this be love.
FUCK that song is a banger. I wish I could shoot a music video for it of guitar players playing in slow motion. Rocking feathered mullets and rubbing bare shoulder-blades in a factory that somehow only produces sparks.
Then we cut to young Hagar in a drop-top Cadillac and he's cruising downtown LA looking for some bitches. Then EvH appears in the backseat and shreds a savory lick and ALL the bitches come running; throwing panties on the Cadillac and shit. Wolfgang is hitting that high note in the chorus and doing lines of blow off of an even bigger line of blow. Cut to some naked bitches in obscured lighting rubbing on each other in slow motion. Intercut footage of Eddie slow motion swinging his guitar by the strap in a circle. Getting closer and closer to the ground every swoop. Does he break the guitar? NO, stupid fuck. He grabs that F# and does a fucking dive bomb and the whole video blows up as you're watching it.

Some people live apart;
They break your heart so damn easy
And then one night in sunny victory
She decides and you agree, she's leaving

Could this be the one that got away?
I get the message
Guess I knew it all along
Says you're a stranger
Here in paradise, you fool
Seems like forty days and forty nights
Since someone used my first name
Including you

Roth era is typical teenage years about partying and fucking bitches left and right

Hagar era the audience grew up by then so the songs are about going out and having good time while falling in love

both are cool

Wolfgang was still in elementary school when that song was released.

>Hagar era the audience grew up by then so the songs are about going out and having good time while falling in love

Huh? Most of the fans from the Roth era completely denounced Van Hagar. That shit was targeting an entirely different audience, mostly normalfags and women.

5150 [Warner Bros., 1986]

Wonder how the guitar mavens who thought Eddie equaled Van Halen are going to like his fireworks displays and balls-to-the-wall hooks now that video star David Lee Roth has given way to one of the biggest schmucks in the known biz. No musician with something to say could stomach responding to Sammy Hagar's call, and this album proves it. C+

OU812 [Warner Bros., 1988]

Not that they give a shit, but trading Dave for Sammy sure wrecked their shot at Led Zep of the '80s--master guitarist, signature vocalist, underrated rhythm section. They wouldn't have made it anyway, of course. Eddie's obsessed with technique, Roth's contemptuous of technique, rhythm section's got enough technique and no klutz genius. But Sammy . . . like wow. If I can't claim the new boy owns them (property rights they protect), you can't deny he defines them. Not that they give a shit. C

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge [Warner Bros., 1991] *bomb*

Hagar as a better singer/frontman. But the best songs were with Dave

Xgau is retarded. He published his wife's comment about how "Why is it always Kennedy and Lennon, and not Nixon and McCartney."

Kennedy > Nixon
McCartney >>>>>>>>>>>>> Lennon
the CIA >>> Lee Harvey Oswald > Mark David Chapmen

Why is this even a debate? DLR Van Halen:

youtube.com/watch?v=EwzXop5kLxE

Hagar Van Halen:

youtube.com/watch?v=YtXq-v9XoMc

This shit sounds like it belongs in a Nissan commercial.

Nixon >> Kennedy
McCartney >>>>>> Lennon
But that's just my opinion
Also the CIA did one if not both of their assasinations

Really. Van Hagar was Foo Fighters before Foo Fighters--totally bland, toothless, radio-safe rock that 40 year old businessmen listen to while working on the treadmill. I mean, I get that Eddie wasn't 25 anymore and he wanted to grow up a little, still gay af.

DLR is one of the best frontmen in the history of frontmen imo

>Roth era is typical teenage years about partying and fucking bitches left and right

Van Halen were really a college frat boy band, RHCP pretty much picked up where they left off.

The Peavey 5150 was more important for rock than his guitar playing

this
Van Hagar is corporate 80s rock like Azia, Phil Collins/Genesis, Huey Lewis and U2

That's not even opinion. It's objective fact.