Sup Forums covers David Bowie

After the success of our 50-song Beatles cover album, we're continuing our David Bowie project!

Beatles album:
>hangingdong.bandcamp.com/album/covers-the-beatles
>mega.nz/#!ilcBALAS!uuHiWZe9pcZhgEu2E1Z3nhX4fkhYxJfAMvfOaxCAczE
>youtube.com/watch?v=3C5g69o5X_I
>rateyourmusic.com/release/album/hanging-dong/covers-the-beatles/

After the clusterfuck that was the Beatles album, we are going to be using a different claiming method this time. Pick a song that you want to cover from the list below, and email me at [email protected] with a rough timescale for when you will be able to finish it. If you simply claim a song in the thread but don't email, it will be ignored. This is because dozens of people drifted into the Beatles claiming thread, claimed a song, and then vanished forever. When songs are finished, they should be sent via email, not posted in the thread. This keeps an element of mystery about the final product.

Submission rules can be found in the first reply

THE SONG LIST:

No meme arrow signifies available
1 meme arrow signifies claimed

>The Laughing Gnome
>Space Oddity
The Width Of A Circle
>The Man Who Sold The World
>Changes
>Oh! You Pretty Things
>Life On Mars?
>Quicksand
>Queen Bitch
>The Bewlay Brothers
>Five Years
>Moonage Daydream
>Starman
>Lady Stardust
>Ziggy Stardust
>Suffragette City
>Rock 'N' Roll Suicide
Aladdin Sane
Drive-In Saturday
>Cracked Actor
>The Jean Genie (SUBMITTED)
>Lady Grinning Soul
>Future Legend / Diamond Dogs
Sweet Thing suite
>Rebel Rebel
>Young Americans
Win
>Fame
>Station To Station
>Golden Years
Wild Is The Wind
>Sound And Vision
>Always Crashing In The Same Car
>Warszawa
Weeping Wall
Beauty And The Beast
>Heroes
>Sons Of The Silent Age
The Secret Life Of Arabia
>African Night Flight
>Scary Monsters
>Ashes To Ashes
>Teenage Wildlife
Strangers When We Meet
>I'm Afraid Of Americans
Slow Burn
>Bring Me The Disco King
>Where Are We Now?
>Blackstar
>Lazarus

Other urls found in this thread:

vocaroo.com/i/s1xCI46TqjGJ
clyp.it/qrcjs24z
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Rules for submissions:

>IF YOU CAN'T SING, ASK SOMEONE ELSE IN THE THREAD TO! Really want to push for strong vocals throughout on this project, so don't feel like you have to sing on your track if you don't feel comfortable doing so. There are plenty of good singers on this board who can help you out.

>This is a fairly serious project, and there will be quality control. Harsh noise won't be accepted, because fuck that shit. Please don't make your covers memey, I know there were a few on the Beatles one like that but I want this one to be a bit more serious.

>Poor audio quality will be rejected. By that I mean something like heavy background fuzz, don't worry if your recording equipment is not professional standard. Just listen to the Beatles album for acceptable sound quality.
>Don't send me guerilla mail. I prefer if submissions are wav files but I don't mind converting them myself.

>It has to be an actual cover of the song, not just you saying "We can be heroes" into the mic once and then playing unrelated music you wrote yourself for 5 minutes. Reinterpretations are very welcome though, see Day Tripper or Paperback Writer from the Beatles album as examples.

>Collabs are also welcome, if you need someone to play bass or drums or whatever for you, just ask in the thread. People collaborated numerous times on the last album to great success.

Weeping Wall, Wild Is The Wind and Slow Burn are also now taken

AVAILABLE SONGS TO CLAIM:

>Strangers When We Meet
>Beauty And The Beast
>Arabia
>Win
>Sweet Thing suite
>Aladdin Sane
>Drive-In Saturday
>Width of a Circle

Meme school

i'll try to send you an update on Five Years tonight. Definitely over the weekend

>memewie

Whoever took Blackstar better be damn good

>sucess

Pretty good for a mu album

Sure thing lad

Sound and Vision guy here. Got off to a bit of a slow start but preliminary drum tracks are done and just finished up bass gat. About to start guitars.

Making Station To Station is daunting as fuck 2bh

Good lad

Hey Hanging Dong, which artist is next?

Hoobastank

I look forward to the final product. I bet you guys are gonna have some amazing covers. :)

Looking most forward to Disco King.

I'm really...REALLY tempted to suggest an artist for the next one but I'm not sure there'd be much interest for it aside from me.

No harm is at least saying who that artist is

Herbie Hancock.

HYPE

I'm thinking either Animal Collective or Death Grips

that way when our covers end up sounding shit no one will notice the difference amirite?

Before all hell breaks loose again

if you want to make a cover album of a band you like but dong doesn't want to do it you can always do it yourselves

I'm tempted to but I'm not sure how to set it up. Is it easy to get a bandcamp?

Claiming drive in saturday

Gotta email him you cuckold

Fuck you nigger

Pink Floyd would be fucking cool. Let me know if you're interested, I've organized one of these in the past so have a little experience.

>Is it easy to get a bandcamp?
Piss easy, anyone can set one up

Pink floyd would be gr8

Emailed about drive in saturday, does anyone want to record bass or drums? I can work something out but that would delay it a few days

Floyd are actually one I have had as a big contender in my mind for a few weeks now

I might actually just do guitar + voice only

>tfw not got good enough to help with this
feels devastating lads
make it a good one

Even better mate.

do it faggot

TFW you've signed up to do a song but have never recorded shit before and have no instrumental talent so you're just doing an impossibly basic vocals and finger-snapping cover but you don't want to back out on the offchance that it turns out OK.

Can you at least sing?

Who is skilled enough on Sup Forums for Aladdin sane or sweet tjing?

throw in some spoons and blow on a jug while ur at it

Which one are you doing?

Think I can.

If nothing else I'm better than the guys who submitted A Hard Day's Night on the Beatles album.

Bewlay Brothers.

>A doo wop/snapping version of Bewelay Brothers

...This might be spicy.

>Doo-wop
>Not just me singing the song as is while snapping to get the stronger instruments and bridge the silences

You have far too much confidence in my music production ability.

Not to be a party pooper but I think Dong's being a bit pickier this time round as far as the production value and performance level, so if it's not up to scratch you may not make the cut buddy.
Vacaroo yourself singing, I'll let you know if you've got what it takes:^)
>rubs hands together in anticipation of brutal critique

vocaroo.com/i/s1xCI46TqjGJ
Quick and dirty first verse.

Five Years user. I am thinking of altering the lyrics from queer to OP
>A cop knelt and kissed the feet of a priest, and OP threw up at the site of that
Thoughts?

I don't think dong wants memeing

Meme School

What song have you picked?

Exact same one I'm doing here.

YEEEES

Not mixing it up with some powerful knee-slapping, do you even kino my man?

In all honestly good luck with the Bewlay Brothers, i have special feelings attached to that song.

There might not be knee-slapping, but I can promise teeth champing.

Orr yep. I think if you could somehow come up with a bit of cool cool instrumentation to fortify your voice you might just pull it off. Not sure an acapella would work.

Is that 'champ' or 'chomp'?

Thirty white horses on a red hill.
First they champ, then they stamp, then they stand still.

I don't know pal it sounds kind of amateurish for lack of a better word, kind of when a shy guy sings but is barely trying in fear to be judged.

You should go all out and give it your all, just be yourself :

Some of that may be due to lack of familiarity with the mic. I've been trying to keep it down for fear of audio distortion.

I'll give the vocals another go tomorrow, see if I can't work out something better sounding.

Making this song is a good excuse to just listen to it on repeat over and over

It's okay to cry while driving alone at night listening to Sound and Vision.

bump

different person, but if you were wanting some kind of guitar on your track, i'd probably be able to help?

Perhaps.

I did note in my email to Hanging Dong that I was only going to submit some vocals, so maybe if I can pump some out tomorrow, I could send them your way and see how things turn out?

ITS NOT THE SIDE EFFECTS OF THE COCAINE

sure, i'll ask d0ng to put us in touch so we can talk over email

If you're gonna do it that way, you really need to be singing over the backing track. Trying to write music around an out of time/key vocal is a fucking nightmare.

Just waiting for Suffragette City to be available again...

Beatles album is unironically aoty

tru dat

Interesting, Dong cleared me to do that song too.

I knew the bass was going to be an essential ingredient in doing this track justice so that was my mission for the day.
Did I make it into the ballpark?

clyp.it/qrcjs24z

real nice imho desu

Good shit user. You gonna do vocals?

Cheers bro.

Yeah man, I'm gonna do the fucking lot. Vocals are usually last in my process.

Bump

Dude, do Sup Forums covers The Residents. There are so many interesting things we could do with taht

You ask this a lot. Just make it yourself.

P good

Barely know their music tbqh, feel free to organise it yourself though

meme school

MEME SCHOOL

I've been doing this with the song I've selected

Whoever got Ashes to Ashes, do me proud user

Bump

will there be a nirvana one? result would prolly be good since most of his songs are easy

Nirvana was a band, not an artist.

Not so much variety in their songs

so what, before bowie it was beatles covers

Changes user here. This is the first time I have ever recorded anything, so it will probably be shit, but I'm actually enjoying myself a lot. I have the bass all done, and I'm working on the guitar and the vocals now.

>will there be a nirvana one
>his songs are easy

still looking for someone to do vocals for disco king

If we do a Nirvana one I'm taking Scoff

>no john i'm only dancing
shame desu

I just gave the song a listen for the first time.
I could probably do the vocals, but I'm not sure I like the song enough to bother.
The title is remarkably out of sync with the actual sound of the song.

It was originally meant for Black Tie, and the sound of that album definitely fits the song title

Sounds good, but isn't it too close to the original? (sonically speaking)

Dong sent you an update of Sons of the Silent Age, having a lot of fun with this cover

I'm woking on the cover of Future Legend/Diamond Dogs, the structure is a little strange.
Am I retarded or the intro riff is 4.25 bars long?

Feel like a right tit singing Station To Station with my flatmates in earshot

Bump