/daily/ listening thread- New Sondre Lerche album out today! edition

There's a new record out from our favorite norwegian pop singer!

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

neverendingchartrendering.org/
>come here to make charts

plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel
>come here to endlessly circlejerk over meme videos and maybe sometimes hopefully music

dailymu-sic.weebly.com/
>come here for op pics, charts, listenalongs, misc. stuff

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=c_JHjUFfOs8
rateyourmusic.com/collection/zzane/r0.0
youtube.com/watch?v=Ls-U01un_Bk
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/crash_worship/this/
kupiku.com/index.php?route=product/finds&v=amazon&keywords=明田川荘之
soundcloud.com/user-559549822/owlkyo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

is this his TAW

for the bois

This isn't the real thread. Someone DM me the link to the real thread

the album art would indicate so
i dont think even nyar has listened to it so theres no way to know

Will take 3 more people (6 recs total)

>TAW
wat is that

Is this the band that was in dan in real life?

yes, sondre wrote the music for that film. really great melodies, among my favorite things he's recorded

y must u take everyting i love

Great film too

yeah I thought it was pretty solid. I got bored with it after a little while, but I kept playing it in the background so I could listen to the music

>not knowing what TAW is

Good chart so far.

Artetha Franklin - Lady Soul
>Southern Soul, R&B

Basically everything I like in soul. Great lush instrumentals, (the bass in particular) personal lyrics and awesome vocals. If you somehow weren’t aware, Franklin has a tremendous voice and she just belts all these tracks out in terrific fashion. She sounds so confident and self-assured, yet passionate and it really leads to a great listen.

4/5

Silver Apples - s/t
>Electronic, Psych Rock

This came out in 1968? No fucking way. Sounds like it was recorded in the peak of the whole NY No Wave/post-punk movement. The bass is booming, the drumming is clanging and the singing is anxious in a very James Chance/Suicide kind of way. It’s a bit uncomfortable and a lot of the songs sound like they’re part of the whole minimal synth thing, with droning electronics just jumping around in the background. However, you can tell that this is an early attempt at electronic music. It feels sloppy and ugly despite being innovative. The vocals get a bit annoying after awhile and the droning synth gets old after a few tracks. It almost seems like once they have something good going, they ruin it with experimental stuff (see “Lovefingers”). Not typically my kind of music in the first place, keep that in mind. I will say, “Seagreen Serenades” is a terrific little psych cut though.

3/5

Stone Alliance - s/t
>Jazz Fusion, Afro-Cuban Jazz

Oooh, this is right up my alley. The first track starts off with bongos - which is almost always a good thing in jazz in my experience. There’s screeching sax, bouncing bass and a whole lot of drums. So yeah, pretty much everything I could hope for in this style. The album has some mellower, spiritual-twinged cuts like “King Tut”, minimalist free jazz in “Duet”, straight funk in “Sweetie-Pie” and the smoother “Creepin”. Some of the tracks wander a little and the slower ones feel weak compared to the funk cuts but overall this is great.

3.5/5

>benis envy, atomizer, art blakey, flynt, pictures at an exhibition, shaq diesel, IWADASN, IWTSTBLT, generic flipper
what a based chart

Fun fact - I lived in Jamestown, Rhode Island when this was being filmed. During the summers, I used to go to that beach where he gets pulled over. Small world

I never could get into the movie though, even though the soundtrack is great.

Yeah, I'm actually pretty pumped for this chart. I've been meaning to check out most of this for a long time.

daily more like reddit

Oh that thing. Never heard it, was never interested.

That's so cool, do you feel like the music suits that area, or is that sense of connect exclusive to the film?

I think it's more connected to the movie honestly. Fits the vibe of the film pretty well iirc. I guess it fits RI a decent amount... but I think the focus is more on the movie if that makes sense

that makes sense, I was just curious.
in the movie, I feel like the most interesting aspects are the environment sand the family as a whole, the actual characters are pretty lackluster to me.

Rather than feeling like the music goes somewhere, this feels like it goes back and forth between places, vast distances, like watching something from another planet slowly hatch open, subdued, but my attention was firmly grasped from the first minute, each little knock and swell feels extremely tense

The third track, “Geologie Sonore” becomes very uncomfortable because it's not as free as the first two tracks. It establishes and settles in one environment, and it sounds quite ominous. The contrast of this suddenly firm hold in place makes the eerieness that much more effective.

If the third track was an establishment of some kind of place, the next track, “Etude élastique”, feels like hearing what lives there and the sounds that they make from moving around in this unsettling place.

The fifth track, “Conjugaison du Timbre”, feels a lot more uniform with the saxophone doing most of the work over the droning synths. I like to imagine after the initial chaos of discoveirng what lives here, you take the time to observe them and see that there's more to them than you first gave them credit for, you hear them harmonize and sound out some kind of song, like there's some sophisticated form of communication that they use.

From the first track in the second “series”, I'm getting that impression of travel again, along with radio communication. This one sounds the warmest on the album so far, given the electronic blips and beeps sounding familiar to what we hear in technology, along with the occasional sound of running water.

The sampled sounds of running water are harmonized by instrumental equivalents, such as twanged and slapped strings and more synthetic plunks in “Matières induites”.

This whole second “series” is reminding me of water. Like some sort of enormous cave with water running through it.

That's all I can think of. I can't imagine going back to listen to just part of it, it's gonna have to be the whole thing. Wonderful album.

And here's a link to the album, comment was too long to add it before.

youtube.com/watch?v=c_JHjUFfOs8

Mark And recs:

Rev. Gary Davis - The Complete Early Recordings of Reverend Gary Davis (1994)
>piedmont blues, country blues, spirituals

Perfectly pleasant blues. Doesn't hit me like a lot of other blues does, and I can't pinpoint why, but it's really enjoyable and well performed. Davis is a great guitarist and a charming as hell singer, he embraces the melodic tendencies of piedmont blues to their full effect, and the spiritual element of the comp is powerful and juxtaposed perfectly with the more pleasant melodies.

3.0+

Mark And moves on!

man, it's really fucking weird having triangle lose to a blues album...was a very close match, though.

that's a damn cool album, i've gotta listen to it again.

welcome back btw!

Did stick rec you a cardboard box?

the true patrish choice

it's really autechre - tri repetae though

I'm a bit late because I was busy with other shit, I'll try to catch on as quickly as possible.

>Chiemi Eri & The Tokyo Cuban Boys - s/t (1954)

For an album where the concept is latin american rythms performed by a japanese band, I expected something a bit more risky. Although it is a safe album overall, the vocal performances are nice and it's upbeat enough to be enjoyable.

Fav track: Soma-Bon-Uta.

And next album determined by random.org is The Brave Little Abacus' "just got back from the discomfort..."!!

y'allm cuckin?

whomst've

penix

>showering
>need to shit but it's too cold to get out
>shit into hand and throw it to the toilet
>miss
>leave it until the next morning

he'll yeah

do u like fishmans

and to think i have almost gave up on you

natural sleeping patterns are a spook

DNA on DNA
Joe Henderson - The Elements

I was destined to lose, I can't compete with gary davis
if only I had realized the match up

Fun fact: when you dream of techno, you're actually listening to Jeff Mills Live at the Liquid Room Tokyo

very close match, the odds were just stacked against you.

you listened to Albergo Intergalattico Spaziale yet btw?

wot nex

listening rn
actually liking it a decent amount, it's pretty atmospheric and even uplifting at times. Sounds sort of like an avant-garde film soundtrack
I like the vocal elements the most I think.

O T C
T
C

al green

ha, i totally feel the opposite way. i didn't like the vocal elements at all, really.

Jerry Lee or Liquid "the greatest samurai in the empire" Swords

Kate Bush - The Sensual World
>Art Pop

I’ve heard nothing but praise for this album, it’s often described as the final piece of Bush’s greatest trilogy. But to me this just sounds uninspired. It sounds like she sold out hard and it sounds like she’s trying to be Sade. Kate herself is still a great singer but man the production is not for me. It’s typical 80s pop garbage, with lots of slow trip-hop influenced stuff and of course - “tribal” drumming in the background. Because that somehow makes everything better. It kind of reminds me of Graceland with the corny pseudo-african drumming and airy flutes. Ugghhhhhhh.

2/5

Mac Mall - Illegal Business?
>West Coast Hip-Hop, Mobb Music

First off - Mac is a hardcore crip but the album cover bright red? Weird choice.

The first half of this album is what you’d expect from the west coast, especially LA. It has those high-pitched, whiny synths on most of the tracks. There’s a bit of chaos in all the beats and it sounds very California. I’m not too huge on this style but a few of the tracks were pretty good. The synths started wearing on me after awhile, not gonna lie.

The second half is a huge shift in pace though, it goes hard as hell. The beats sound like classic Oakland, with bouncing bass and jazzy piano. The synths are still over these beats but they’re much lower pitched, not resorting to that obnoxious whiny sound as much. Oh it’s still there - it just isn’t overkill on this half. “Crack da 40” and “$$ on Da Dank” are great party tracks, probably some of my favorites on here. The rest of the tracks show off Mall’s storytelling, with songs like “Da Bank Heist” and the title track really standing out.

Decent first half but the second half epitomizes everything I love about the bay. I’m tempted to check out more of this guy’s material simply based on the quality of his album covers.

3/5

What next?

mission o' burma

runners high

Hmm, this makes me want to check out Liquid Room soon

God, you really can't go wrong with the rest of this chart. I vote for Al Green though

will do. listening to Warraw now forgot yamir told me to

Sweet, I'll listen to these next

Henry Flynt soon pls

Good shit there again, I wonder what you're going to think of John Prine

it's a two-fer tonight.

Albergo Intergalattico Spaziale - s/t
>Progressive Electronic, Space Ambient
perhaps I spoke too soon when I said this was a pretty decent album. Not that it's terrible, it's okay. The main problem is at it's best it feels like an ultra-low budget akira soundtrack ripoff that someone was commissioned to do (which isn't a bad thing surprisingly enough!) and at worst it's just dull and uninspired.
There are 3 tracks here that I think work wonderfully; those would be the opener, Senza Titolo, and 4 Tracce. All of these pieces hit the right balance of calming, otherworldly atmosphere that transported me to a futuristic, cyberpunk reality. These tracks also utilized the vocals effectively, in that they were not overbearing. They were instead subdued and more of a background element. The vocals on the rest of the album are pretty mediocre. The vocalist isn't the greatest, she tries to do this melismatic, middle eastern style of vocalizing, but she ain't got the pipes for it frankly. And when you give her a 7 minute solo piece.... let's say I was looking at my watch a lot.
My other major beef is that this record relies too heavily on classical reinterpretations. It's a dull, played out concept that doesn't bring anything to the table for me.
Certainly worth listening to those 3 songs though.

[cont]

FlyingIceWizard recs:

Oidupaa Vladimir Oiun - Divine Music From a Jail (1999)
>tuvan throat singing

Memes and supposed backstory aside, I like this a lot. It's samey as fuck, and Oiun's voice is abrasive and frog-like even for throat singing, but there's a lot of passion in his vocals and the accordion backings are nicely melancholic. Dude's got skill on the accordion, a lot of the work on the instrument is technical and incredibly impressive, but it never forgets what it's main purpose is—to compliment the passionate vocals. It does that job wonderfully, making for quite a good album.

FlyingIceWizard moves on!

The first round is over, thanks to all the participants! Mark And and FlyingIceWizard, get your recs in soon. I'll be starting the second round tomorrow.

~2 SPOTS LEFT FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T REC'd YET~

Give 2 recommendations from here: rateyourmusic.com/collection/zzane/r0.0

Michael Hurley & Ida - Ida Con Snock
>Contemporary Folk, Singer/songwriter
One thing that surprises me so much the more I listen to Hurley is his consistency. He has the ability to retain that same style, spirit and songwriting ability that he had way back in the 60's. However this can also be a negative as he doesn't lend himself to much deviation from his standard set up. This record is a breath of fresh air in that regard as we get to hear Hurley with a fuller sound. Fuller in that we have more permanent string, percussion and vocal accompaniment on this record, but it still retains a quaint, sparse atmosphere.
it opens up with an amazing cover of It Must Be Gelatine, which I think is just a perfect song for Hurley to cover. He completely improves and transforms it into this gentle, floating folk exploration. He even gets a little weird with the vocals, sounding a bit like a mellow, country beefheart.
The next two songs are Hurley staples that he's done versions of in his catalog before. These have got to be the best versions though,the female backing vocals and droning violins just elevate them above and beyond. And these were already stellar songs to begin with. Easily 10's for both. He follows that up with I Stole the Right to Live, another brilliant original that will probably grow to have a seat in my stable of favorite hurley tracks. After That the album becomes a mixed bag of sorts.
He does a lot of slow rockabilly/teen pop ballad type stuff that is all pretty decent, but a little dull and lacking of that certain Hurley lyrical wit. Also it can feel a tad bit creepy hearing him singing about wanting to have sex with 16 year olds.
There are a few pretty nice pieces in the back half, like the humorous Hoot Owls and the emotionally heavy The Time is Right. All in all I don't dislike anything on this record.
The first 4 songs really carry this record for me. and it's because of them I can't bring myself to give this album a lower score.

Listen buddy, let me make this perfectly clear for you. I haven eaten more than 300 eggs per month for the last six years. That is more than 20,000 eggs. Half of those were prepared hard-boiled. So despite whatever knowledge you think you may have gathered from the few liberal fuccboi 2 egg dinners your pussy ass manages to stomach, take it from someone more experienced like myself when they say that you know absolutely nothing.

bitch I drink 4 glasses of raw egg puree every day. And that doesn't include the 7 egg omelet I eat for breakfast every morning

just kidding

urrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my tummy hurts...... -rubs mah big bellah- im think im gonna...... HURL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! imma BLOW CHUNKS!!! AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA uurrrgh

tapbump
The Crinn, Los Campesinos! and the Astral Rejection demos were really good finds
Captain Ahab is one of the producers in clipping. i found out, and they're basically ironic BotDf i guess

Good morning /daily/!

Got a date with a qt today, let's see how that goes!

I'll try and listen to the final (available to me) Jandek recording today!

weird week for me. Mix of Jandek, gangsta rap and Coldplay.

I'm back maybe?
Lost interest in conversation for a while, but not just here
Anyway, I'll see if I want to be a bit more active now
Here's mine, it's mostly stuff from playlists, discovered some nice russian stuff, especially Lumen was a pleasant surprise, sounds like Letov doing Post-Grunge
Hans Unstern is nice as well
for 2017 stuff I didn't find much that was great, but the Leoniden thing is p solid
Disco 3 not so much tho

No wait that's wrong

Does Coldplay have albums that are more thrilling than VLV? Their newest one maybe?

Probably the same reason I like Faust's s/t so much. It manages to go through so much in such a short period of time while staying perfectly cohesive. Combining its zeitgeist-y talks about living in drums and shit with the absolutely wonderful symphony orchestra made me like it even more.

Their newest ones are such crap.

Personally I really like everything they did up to Prospekts March EP. It's B-sides for Viva La Vida, but there are a couple of goodies there too.

>Natalie Rose-Lebrecht - Warraw
Like Daymares And Nightdreams this is definitely good weirdo folk but it doesn't affect me in any great way. 3/5

>The Olivia Tremor Control - Black Foliage: Animation Music Volume One
Awesome neo-psych. There's a good amount of psychedelic experimenting between the number of different instruments and the musique concrete but it's all hinged on wonderful pop songwriting. The influences are obvious, though their use of harmony reminded me more of Elliott Smith than The Beach Boys in parts. Loses it's steam a bit near the end but that's really down to the choice of songs than the length, The Bark and Below It in particular killed the flow. But that's a minor complaint really, on the whole I loved it. 4+/5

What's that Placebo like? Not listened to them in ages

oh it's a compilation should have googled that before

how do i into music bois

I was considering biking to buy a Nintendo Switch today, but then I noticed I can buy a PS4 slim for about half the price. And then I realised I probably want to save the money to buy a bike instead.

What have you done today?

made 2 cups of tea and forgot about them before I finished them thanks for asking

yeah, no new album since 2013 :/
alright, I'll go through their discography a bit if I find the time tomorrow
I woke up, which is already alot more than I usually do around that time

topsters2 is broken again?

good morning /daily/, listening to some comfy stuff and after that gonna try to finish that hitchcock boxset i got for christmas

>zane rec'd residue of the residents
:)
also nice world of tomorrow screencap in the background

what is low sea like

last night it wouldn't save my charts to jpeg or png

how's live jane? i feel that album would suffer a whole lot without that production job but it seems interesting regardless

idrktf but it's nice you're back
i didn't feel like seeing DT after all

i made onkyo with just "ethnic" flute midi presets, and coffee

I thought it was pretty damn great. It sounds very much in tune with the original.

>What have you done today?
i woke up 30 minutes ago i have done nothing

hey dog, my friend's been looking for this one Shoji Aketagawa album for quite some time, was wondering if you knew anything about it / had it?

>2017 stuff
this seems really promising
youtube.com/watch?v=Ls-U01un_Bk

>what is low sea like
idk, i posted the wrong chart :/
>last night it wouldn't save my charts to jpeg or png
shit, hopefully it works again tomorrow, I want to update my 2017 chart, even though topsters decided to fuck up the order and i have to redo the ratings
oh huh, this is not out yet?
i heard of it last year, but forgot about it till now

yw

Why do you get up so late? It's a great day to be productive!

Soundcloud that ho

>Why do you get up so late? It's a great day to be productive!
I live in Puerto Rico, it's 6:50 AM right now. I'm gonna go be productive and make some coffee and find something for breakfast right now.

I don't want to be productive tho

Faaair enough, what you gonna d0?

You're gonna be a useless piece of shit all day?

yep, and for the rest of my life as well

What a waste of potential.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Rec me something with less than 100 RYM ratings please

I recced This I think, have you heard it already?
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/crash_worship/this/

Nope!. All I have from Aketa is listed on my RYM. Maybe you can check the nip store once in a while
kupiku.com/index.php?route=product/finds&v=amazon&keywords=明田川荘之

No, I must have missed it when you read it, thanks.

Computer needs repairs though so it'll be a little bit

>Moomin - The Story About You
I find myself enjoying the more laid back and ambient ish parts of electronic music, i dunno it's just so comfy to listen to. Definitely my favorite Moomin release, it's got some weaker and less interesting but still good tracks on it, but if you like deep house, this is a must.

not on the chart, but wanted to share my thoughts on it
>Andy Stott - Replace EP (2006)
andy's pre-black and white photographs for album art music is pretty good, but it just has absolutely zero personality or anything interesting to make it stand out. The style that made him famous is nowhere to be seen (or any kind of predecessor to it). it's still perfectly good techno, but it just has nothing to make it worth listening to more than once.
6-

>Faaair enough, what you gonna d0?
work on a research paper, keep working on the last track I need to do for my album, contact a drummer my friend told me about to see if she can record some stuff for me, and maybe clean up my room a bit, it's getting a bit messy.

thanks, i found it on a random japanese label store but it was like $55
I'll ask him if he's interested in any of the ones you got

had no idea it was a thing til last week
i sure hope 2017 continues last year's trend of actually delivering notoriously postponed albums i still kinda want that new Tool and Stampede of the Disco Elephants

one sec

soundcloud.com/user-559549822/owlkyo
there it is

make more liturgy x kill la kill

Bump

What have you bought recently, daily? I just ran to the mailbox right now because i found out songs ohia and playero 37 arrived yesterday.

dont

Just one of those folders

If i ever have a band i'll try to convince them to do a live arrangement but otherwise nah

i'd be interested in liturgy x merzbow tho...

*midi horns drowned in noise*

As long as it is not as badly mixed as the Sun Ra remix