Is it worth my time to get into The Grateful Dead?

Is it worth my time to get into The Grateful Dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=nkzBLItvb_U
m.youtube.com/watch?v=MDeeWExBrVM
youtube.com/watch?v=wdYBYy96mcg
youtu.be/ZOVIQORfFrk
m.youtube.com/watch?v=BwCKeXsdWBI
youtube.com/watch?v=NE5VdsuGWJg
m.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3BTUjrevE
headyversion.com/
m.youtube.com/watch?v=YaKNuELl1tM
youtube.com/watch?v=au2GcNgolRg
youtube.com/watch?v=nq4s_xGG9B4
m.youtube.com/watch?v=295ayRMwKnA
youtube.com/watch?v=6jmnASVqZMU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

This, but unironically.

It's not an easy task but yes.

It took me a while, but it was worth it

Oh yes. But you can lose your life to them, there is so much music. You start collecting albums, then the archived concerts (they made miced or soundboard recordings of most of their shows available free), before you know it you have 20 versions of every song...

Mr rec, start with American Beauty or Europe '72

Absolutely, yes, their live performances are among the best ever recorded and they have a hugely variegated catalog. Can you name any Dead songs you already like, or even styles you're into?

the band is very mediocre but has/had (theyre all dying) a large following of completely stoned and drugged out hippies who would come to their concerts and barely remember the music while fucking and making beads and shit. theyre pretty much entirely propped up by their cult hippie fanbase. the fact that its "cool" to pay homage to the band all the old hippies like is pretty much the only reason anyone under 20 likes them unironically. basically an older phish

I actually have an old tape of the first set before they came out w/the Dick's Pick series.

This was a really good show. (At least the first set was. I never heard the second set or The New Riders' set)

Always here Shakedown Street on the radio and love that song. Don't really know much else besides their cover of Smokestack Lightning. Big fan of psych rock, folk, and improv/jam

>the band is very mediocre
Honestly anyone in the thread, do not be dissuaded by this user's likely uninformed and ad hoc opinion. They were all consummate musicians (Lesh classicaly trained, Garcia a near-monomaniac) steeped in a variety of top-shelf influences (minimalism, modal jazz, folk ballads, bluegrass). Anyone who says otherwise does not know what they are talking about.

>DP8
Love the slower laid-back Rider on that

If you like Shakedown Street, I would recommend Terrapin Station (never my favorite, but unique and well-executed). It's a later studio album that almost verges on progressive rock. If you like psych rock you should definitely go back and check out their early studio albums, particularly Aoxomoxoa and Anthem of the Sun (fusion of studio and live recording), and of course the nonpareil Live/Dead (all live). Look at the the second and third sets of their live stuff (Dicks Picks, etc.) for jams. With folk, Workingman's Dead and American Beauty are deceptively clever, lyrically inventive and powerful records.

>psych rock, folk, and improv/jam
Well that's the dead in a nutshell mate. Add in some of the most poetic lyrics ever written, especially bob hunters, and you've got it all.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=nkzBLItvb_U

yes, one of the best and most unique and creative bands ever

I worked a show as an usher for Dead and Co. Fucking awful and droning music. That's saying something considering I was pretty high and even then I thought it to be really unimpressive and boring. Not trashing og dead though.
P. S
>>Dead heads are degenerates

>Terrapin Station
You listened to hunters version with the rest of the verses the dead cut out?

m.youtube.com/watch?v=MDeeWExBrVM

ayy I have heard this, always reminds me of like stripped-down Tull. I have to say I prefer it

>mfw squirrel nut zippers tries to cop this sound 40 years later

youtube.com/watch?v=wdYBYy96mcg

youtu.be/ZOVIQORfFrk

One of my favorites, China Cat Sunflower - I Know You Rider from Veneta, Oregon '72

Are you Beethoven?

I wouldn't say the band members are mediocre, but the music is. Maybe I grew up hearing about their music so much that once I discovered it for myself it didn't seem special or magical. I don't know. Would love to have seen them live, though, since that's where they shine.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=BwCKeXsdWBI
7/9/95
;_;

youtube.com/watch?v=NE5VdsuGWJg

Aside from American Beauty and Workingman's Dead, their studio albums were mediocre. Live recordings are where it's at. Europe '72, Live Dead, Nightfall Of Diamonds and Red Rocks 7/8/78 are all good starting points. Beyond that, you fall into the wormhole of live recordings that freely available on the interwebs.

Fuck the naysayers. They're not 'listening'.

Scarlet begonias/fire on the mountain, 04/27/77

m.youtube.com/watch?v=QE3BTUjrevE

i'd say their early psych albums are underrated, i mean no doubt aoxomoxoa is dated, but at least it's actual psychedelica

Check out this shit it's awesome

just look up Scarlet Fire, China Cat Sunflower, Dark Star, some other shit idk

headyversion.com/

Hippy mama heaven, good pick

Just to show the sheer quality of musicianship, Brent Mydland (keys) was a better vocalist than most other bands can hope for.

Blow away, 7/7/89

m.youtube.com/watch?v=YaKNuELl1tM

Don't sleep on Wake of the Flood!

youtube.com/watch?v=au2GcNgolRg

Best ever Dark Star 11/11/73
youtube.com/watch?v=nq4s_xGG9B4

good Ripple from 10/29/80
m.youtube.com/watch?v=295ayRMwKnA

Yes start with studio stuff then go live

youtube.com/watch?v=6jmnASVqZMU