Sup Forums, I turned 18. I can now honestly admit my age on here...

Sup Forums, I turned 18. I can now honestly admit my age on here. Let's celebrate by posting albums that Scaruffi rated too highly.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=M2CHkq_IQrU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

who really cares what scaruffi thinks

A surprising amount of people.

Is a 7/10 for TotBL really too high?

It's a 5/10 album but I guess 7/10 isn't too high, at least compared to type O.

I don't know how much of a chance you've given TotBL, but I thought it was only mediocre until I gave it another try or two. It seems to be generic indie rock, but there's something special about it.

Is this a bait thread? Or is it actually genuine considering your age? That's the fascinating questions that one gets to wonder about on Sup Forums on a daily basis.

WASTE
OF
LIFE

What's your actual opinion on it, besides just thinking it's overrated? It's a much more advanced album than it seems at face value. Composed very purposefully and skillfully.

I KNOW YOU'RE FUCKIN' SOMEOOONE ELLLLLSEE

>Composed very purposefully and skillfully.
Maybe with the cool electronic sounds it is, but certainly not with its basic bitch riffs.

that movement alone makes it a great album, to say nothing of everything else
i don't know how anyone can hear that song after the buildup and not get blown away

You have a very limited grasp of music.

Nope. If I want to listen to intricate backing arrangements, I certainly won't be listening to boring watered down metal. Type O's first album has the simplified riffs of Peter's first band Carnivore, but nowhere near as visceral. What you get is a record that sucks at absolute everything it does, except meme lyrics.

Slow Deep and Hard is one of the most visceral albums ever made. Even with simple punk riffs it manages to go over your head.

>somebody calls something shit
>i-it goes o-over your head, p-pleb
Nah, get over yourself, you pretentious piece of garbage. It's nowhere near as visceral as other far more intense, raw, and heavier works of metal. And the arrangements are baby tier takes on some of the really interesting things in electronic music. It's okay, you listen to basic stuff. Maybe give Stockhausen and Autechre a listen on the electronic end, or Morbid Angel and Eyehategod a listen on the metal end. But then, if your listening capacity only allows you to think Slow Deep Hard is amazing I don't think you'll ever fully digest those artists.

I think Pete trying to off himself during the time the album was written stands as a testament to how 'visceral' it actually is

gosh stop being so confrontational and relax user, you're going to have a stroke

Not really. Events around the making of an album's all fun and whatnot to think about. But at the end of the day, what matters is the music itself. Cudi himself was in a very similar situation during the time he had to work on Speedin Bullet 2 Heaven, doesn't change that it's considered one of the worst albums ever.

>calls other people pretentious
>ooohhh look at my namedropping, get on my level
I'm not gonna keep trying to articulate myself. Read Scaruffi's review if you want some insight into why it's much bigger than you think. There's more going on than just the instruments.

>getting triggered this easily
Go back to your reddit/tumblr safe space.

>using scaruffi's writing as an example
>a guy who knows nothing about music
Nah. I don't waste my time reading to stupid meme people anymore. As an adult, I would rather read up on actual carefully researched musicologist pieces. Besides, all Scaruffi talks about is muh electronic sounds besides all the overthetop non-musical descriptions he gives the music.

>Comparing Kid Cudi to Peter Steele

>basic metal
you're one of those technical metal faggots aren't you?

>purposefully missing the point of what I was saying to appear superior
Might wanna get your head out of your ass so you can see exactly what my previous post meant before making your own response post.

Steele poured his soul into composing this album at his psychological breaking point, and it shows. You don't even need to know the circumstances behind it to feel it just from the music and his performance alone.

>Morbid Angel
>Eyehategod
>either entailing technical noodling
Pssssshhhhh. This thread really seems to have attracted the underage people who aren't as knowledgeable on music.

Maybe in his lyrics, sure. Dude shows off a far better range and ability to portray emotions on later records, with the riffs also becoming equally as interesting instead of shitty crossover thrash B-side riffs. Anyone who thinks Slow Deep Hard is actually good at anything at all doesn't listen to enough metal nor experimental music, hell probably doesn't listen to much music in general.

Stop sucking shit taste shit writer Scaruffi's dick.

>hey guys! just turned 18 lets talk about some music here!
>immediately resorts to the most pre-pubescent cringe internet rant as soon as his opinion is challenged

good.

This

>thinks it's the guy who rationally realizes that Scaruffi isn't always getting it right that's internet cringe
>not the guys that are riding Scaruffi's dick super hard this whole thread
Way to out yourself as a high schooler. Such a post only shows where your priorities are.

all these trivial buzzwords holy shit

>m-muh buzzword meme
Yeah sure. Go to the usual defense everyone goes to when they realize they are wrong. Funnily enough, you're showing your age, or more like, your underage, because you have no clue what a buzzword actually is.

Scaruffi has nothing to do with why people like this album, but he is one of the few critics to recognize it and shed light on why it's so powerful.

Scaruffi is not an actual critic though. He is just some guy who posts his own views on records. In the end he's just like every other person that thinks that kind of stuff is deep. Kinda like the avant teens who either don't know how to make music or can only make shitty musique concrete but think some mediocre take on tape loops that anyone can make is better than something like Pink Floyd.

keep those buzzwords coming

lol that sounds more like you than anything actually

Keep denying your wrongness. Doesn't make you magically right.

Nah, the funny thing is, even though I have admittedly not elaborated that well in this topic my points, I still have ended up doing a far better job than you bitter SDH/Scaruffi dick riders by taking apart the work to some extent and offering better alternatives to metal and experimental music.

>technically virtuous composing techniques are fake deep
>you're not a real critic if you're just sharing opinions

holy shit this boy

>technically virtuous composing techniques
>haphazard electronic effects anyone can make
>basic punk style riffs
>either being actually deep
Sit your ass in front of a DAW or some staff lined paper for five minutes, and you'll have a far better opinion than this.

So what here do you have a problem with? Make sure to not use any opinions or else you're just a fake deep fake critic.

>Stockhausen and Autechre a listen on the electronic end, or Morbid Angel and Eyehategod a listen on the metal end
18 year old detected

SDAH is only like 1/4 metal anyways. It basically just uses metal instrumentation however it wants as a paintbrush on a psychological canvas of a man descending into moral hell. And you insist on judging with arbitrary shit like "riffs" like it has anything to do with the metal clique.

Its only metal posters that do this.

>josh silver's keyboard work
>haphazard electronic effects anyone can make
you either don't know shit or didn't pay attention at all

OP here. That wasn't me. This is the first reply I've made in this thread.

Agreed, people here like tonpretend its super well made and really deep and foward thinking cause some random musically uneducated italian pedophile said so, but in reality its just the flatest dullest metal imaginable.

>the most shocking fusion of metal, industrial, and gothic languages
That shit's barely metal, but okay. Like I said, and it's also mentioned by the band the riffwriting is a lot closer to Peter's previous band Carnivore (which is crossover thrash.)

>Peter impersonating a psychopath
>actually taking tongue in cheek stuff seriously

>Josh Silver molding grandiose sonic architectures
Not only do the other Type O records have objectively larger keyboard arrangements both due to whats being played and how they are mixed, but even then I wouldn't say anything Type O has done is relatively grandiose in the larger view of music especially compared to orchestral suites.

>highlighting the turpitude of the stories with excoriating noises
It's hardcore punk riffs with a tinge of metal. Not only are they simplistic, but they aren't that raw to be labeled excoriating. That would go to someone like Ildjarn or Beherit on their demos.

>a bunch of cool sounding words that mean nothing
The definition of buzzwords. He's not the only one responsible for it though, this kind of writing is what makes popular music criticism so awful.

>Each song was structured as a sequence of movements, each movement arranged in a different fashion, and the sequence leading to unrelenting suspense
You mean...like a lot of metal in general. The extreme side of metal's known for completely disregarding pop structure for a riff structure similar to symphonies with movements (down to the first of which often being in sonata form.)

t. pleb that can't into the concept of serialism nor the ability to pick on the movement and progression of riffs

I have mentioned riffs, the vast amount of effects that it works with, its progression, etc. Pay attention a little bit.

Oh know, I definitely payed attention. It's just not that special. Listen to and explore for more music.

youtube.com/watch?v=M2CHkq_IQrU
start it on 5:29 and tell me how dull and flat it sounds

>Its only metal posters that do this.
>Literally implying that talking/discussing the music itself is somehow worse than mindless memeing

I used to think this album cover has a bald man looking downwards and being really angry

but i was very wrong

OP here. The idea of making a thread celebrating your age is stupid, but I felt like I wouldn't really be turning 18 without making one of these shitty threads.